Telltale formula vs Until dawn

So a competitor to Telltale style games just showed up and what do you think about it? Can Telltale keep up? Will their style and reluctance to inovate and make choices matter cost them now that they have a competitor?

Comments

• Can they? Yes. Will they? No.

• edited September 2015

I like Telltale's better, but to each their own. I reckon many like Until Dawn's more dynamic system better.

• To answer your question, if they want to, Telltale can make their choices to have more consequences.

Now, I think you should've created that thread in the Telltale talk section.

Don't worry. A mod will just move it there soon.

• Tbh, I didnt know where to place this thread. And I think Telltale can stay relevant, if they stop being so greedy about money. Unfortunately, I feel that as long as they dont suffer a large hit to sales they wont change anything. Characters you save, will die next episode anyway etc...

Wolfenus54 posted: »

To answer your question, if they want to, Telltale can make their choices to have more consequences. Now, I think you should've created that thread in the Telltale talk section. Don't worry. A mod will just move it there soon.

• Well, not all determinant characters die.

Like Prince Lawrence from example. If you 'save' him, he stays alive but he doesn't have a big role later.

Hrulj posted: »

Tbh, I didnt know where to place this thread. And I think Telltale can stay relevant, if they stop being so greedy about money. Unfortunatel

• I really REALLY hate how you can't give Faith's letter to Lawrence if you save him. I didn't open the letter hoping so i could give it to Lawrence buuut nooopee

• Will they? No.

And how do you know that?

Can they? Yes. Will they? No.

• Seeing how TFTB( only in choices and consequences by the way i like it otherwise) and GoT turned up yeah im going to say no.

Will they? No. And how do you know that?

• edited September 2015

Lets see:

Will their style and reluctance to inovate and make choices matter cost them now that they have a competitor?

Will

Future

now that they have a competitor?

Seeing how TFTB( only in choices and consequences by the way i like it otherwise) and GoT turned up

Did they had a competitor when those games were being developed? No.

Will their style and reluctance to inovate and make choices matter cost them now that they have a competitor?
    Your answer: No.

So unless you can predict the future you can't be 100% sure of what you said.

Seeing how TFTB( only in choices and consequences by the way i like it otherwise) and GoT turned up yeah im going to say no.

• I don't know, I mean, Until Dawn is quite different, despite also being choice heavy. It's only one game, and doesn't have to carry out over separate episodes. I mean, there's episodes in the game itself, but not released like Telltale's. Also, it clearly had quite the budget, seeing as it's a Playstation exclusive, meaning all the stops were pulled to make it the best it could be. I quite like that game, but I still love Telltale's formula more. Don't get me wrong, I like Until Dawn, I just enjoy how Telltale Game's have more in the terms of dialogue choices. Where as in Until Dawn it's usually 'this or this.

• I just finished Until Dawn yesterday. It was another succesful dialogue/choice game, the first one is Heavy Rain. They are the only games where choices MATTER

• What is heavy rain? Forgive me that I don't know.

AronDracula posted: »

I just finished Until Dawn yesterday. It was another succesful dialogue/choice game, the first one is Heavy Rain. They are the only games where choices MATTER

• You can't compare a full game to an episodic game, I mean yeah I guess you can but until dawn has been in development AWHILE.

• edited September 2015

Heavy Rain is a game like Until Dawn. I'm not gonna give you spoilers about the story but in this game, you play as four protagonist, you play with dialogues and it contains choices which affect the story.It was released in 2011 and it's developed by Aquantic Dream or I can easily say it's developed by David Cage who is also the developer of Beyond Two Souls.

Menofthe214 posted: »

What is heavy rain? Forgive me that I don't know.

• This has already been talked about in various threads in the general chat, but I've mentioned before Life is Strange and Until Dawn have made the TT formula stale so they will have to add some new things too their belt as it seems others are now ready to take risks in the interactive story telling genre, and they're paying off. TT have stayed still since the walking dead. Still, that doesn't mean TT arn't making good games. TFLB is one of my favourite games ever, but to keep up they're going to have to bring something new to the table eventually. Which they will obviously... once they smash their current engine to a billion pieces.

• It seems like Until Dawn was developed as an episodic title though.

It's split into little "Telltale" sized chunks and even has those "PREVIOUSLY ON" segments.

You can't compare a full game to an episodic game, I mean yeah I guess you can but until dawn has been in development AWHILE.

• edited September 2015

But it doesn't matter how it was designed, it's not episodic, they just did that so you could take breaks probably and so you wouldn't forget your past choices and what you did.

And those are definetely not telltale sized chunks.

It seems like Until Dawn was developed as an episodic title though. It's split into little "Telltale" sized chunks and even has those "PREVIOUSLY ON" segments.

• It's the game mechanics that are being discussed. I don't think the fact that one is episodic and the other is not means you can't compare them. Until Dawn was in development for a while but they had so much work to do on the game engine, and then they had to change it from a first person PS3 move title, to a third person PS4 title.

You can't compare a full game to an episodic game, I mean yeah I guess you can but until dawn has been in development AWHILE.

• Many other choice games have their way of doing things. TT have stuck to their path, because it works despite what some people on here want you to believe. These games (Mass effect, The Witcher, Until Dawn, etc.) have a shit ton of backing behind it. TT is still an indie company with permission to use these lisceneses. I'd say they're doing a damn good job just creating these entertaining stories without having to change the formula.

Besides all that, I think people can play both and enjoy both despite the differences.

• Come on are we seriously talking about money issues for Telltale now? They sold 28 000 000 copies of walking dead alone. Even if every copy is 1 dollar, its huge revenue.
    They made a ton of money and are in return not investing a single penny, and still have the mindset of indie company

DoubleJump posted: »

Many other choice games have their way of doing things. TT have stuck to their path, because it works despite what some people on here want

• edited September 2015

Well I'm glad that stuff like this happens because now TellTale is forced to change the formula.

Which is a good thing.

I mean they're just simple indie developers and not an AAA big ass corporation. They can't do multiple games at once. They should stick to a single game and work on it GOOD.

• The only thing I like more about telltale is the characters. Everything else, Until Dawn blows out of the water. I wanted to know the little things about them, like if Sam was a rock climber, or what sport Matt played or a characters upbringing. The second half is better at developing them though.

• Their games explain it all. Telltale don't use realistic graphics and they have plenty of issues that a AAA gaming company would never have. We don't exactly know how much revenue was made from TWD. Sure it was successful, but cost of production and sky bound taking their cut are always a factor. That and these games are sold on sale constantly at very low prices to begin with. Although TT acting like an indie company is just one point. They have a system that people really like and I doubt they'll change it to keep up with the AAA companies. It's not better or worse, it just works.

Hrulj posted: »

Come on are we seriously talking about money issues for Telltale now? They sold 28 000 000 copies of walking dead alone. Even if every copy

Sign in to comment in this discussion.