Telltale's downfall?

enter image description here

What do you think?

Comments

• 70s are a good score, but if you're only going to compare two of their games this means nothing. Bring up TWAU and TFTB while you're at it.

• edited October 2015

Just because the scores in the episodes of GoT are lower than TWD's, that doesn't mean Telltale is 'falling down'.

• I think you should also compare with Tales from the Borderlands and come back again.

• I see no downfall, I see one website (several people on the same site but still) giving the game a lower score than the walking dead. GOT is easily my favourite Telltale series so far, so IMO Telltale is getting even better.

• Opinions, opinions....

• edited October 2015

Can we stop comparing each Telltale game with TWDS1, please?

• Nah man, I don't think so.

• edited October 2015

A

• edited October 2015

Not this again...

Though I do think the game is worth those reviews and lower.

• I saw that cheeky edit.

A

• i post it elsewhere i am not hiding it

I saw that cheeky edit.

• The hell? What do you gain by editing this comment and reposting it somewhere else?...

i post it elsewhere i am not hiding it

• edited October 2015

b

The hell? What do you gain by editing this comment and reposting it somewhere else?...

• Not bad scores at all. No point to any of this.

• Seriously. Each game has its own merits. People cant expect every season to garner the same reactions.

And for that matter, can people please stop trying to predict Telltale's downfall? It doesnt look like they sre even slowing down to me.

Kateis posted: »

Can we stop comparing each Telltale game with TWDS1, please?

• I mean sure, it's not the greatest telltale game, but it doesn't mean it's their downfall.

• Exactly. As Tales From the Borderlands shows us, they are still perfectly capable of making fantastic games.

And GoT is not so bad either. I mean, sure, Episode 5 was pretty bad, but Episode 4 was awesome.

kaza125 posted: »

I mean sure, it's not the greatest telltale game, but it doesn't mean it's their downfall.

• I like Episode 1.

Abeille posted: »

Exactly. As Tales From the Borderlands shows us, they are still perfectly capable of making fantastic games. And GoT is not so bad either. I mean, sure, Episode 5 was pretty bad, but Episode 4 was awesome.

• I liked Episode 1 too. Actually the only episode I really disliked was Episode 5. But Episode 4 is my favourite

Harian96 posted: »

I like Episode 1.

• Episode 4 should be called "The Forresters strikes back"

I just hope episode 6 is "The Forresters strikes back Part 2" :)

I liked Episode 1 too. Actually the only episode I really disliked was Episode 5. But Episode 4 is my favourite

• I hope Mira gets some good scenes again. It was great to eavesdrop on people and ruin Andros's plans with just a few words. It is also kinda funny if you talk to Morgryn after you eavesdrop and speak with everybody, he is like "Looks like you already know most of it, huh", and he is shocked when you say you've got a message to him from Andros xD

Episode 4 should be called "The Forresters strikes back" I just hope episode 6 is "The Forresters strikes back Part 2"

• Oh, I love that sequence in the game. I really felt like I was playing a game of intrigue by spying and eavesdropping on everybody. I was actually quite surprise on how attentive I was to details and how careful I talked to people. :)

I hope Mira gets some good scenes again. It was great to eavesdrop on people and ruin Andros's plans with just a few words. It is also kinda

• enter image description here

Some of these threads, I swear...

• lol downfall ? sounds like trolling to me.

• Did you eavesdrop on the unnamed nobles? Some of them were talking about Damien's disappearance.

Oh and you can eavesdrop on Margaery and Sera too before going to talk to Lyman, after Andros's first outburst (and if you talk to Morgryn after that and before talking to Lyman, he is amused by Andros's reaction).

All of these are absolutely unnecessary for the scene to play out, but it was part of the fun and I'm glad TellTale included these bits. They really didn't have to, they could have made we go straight to Lyman after Tarwick tells us about his secret and the story would play exactly the same but they decided to let us have that little fun with the other characters in the party.

Oh, I love that sequence in the game. I really felt like I was playing a game of intrigue by spying and eavesdropping on everybody. I was actually quite surprise on how attentive I was to details and how careful I talked to people.

• On my first playthrough, I eavesdrop on the unnamed nobles. But I didn't eavesdrop on Margaery and Sera, because I didn't want to get discovered and I was keeping my distance. And because I didn't know that you could eavesdrop on them. :P

It was like in episode 2, where I didn't go up and talk to Frostfinger, because...Well, I didn't want to piss him off.

Did you eavesdrop on the unnamed nobles? Some of them were talking about Damien's disappearance. Oh and you can eavesdrop on Margaery and

• Episode 1: The Bolton Menace

Episode 2: Return of the Lord

Episode 3: A New Hope (given the episode's unusually optimistic ending)

Episode 4: ????? (I couldn't think of anything)

Episode 5 : Revenge of the Whitehills

Episode 6: The Forresters Strike Back

Episode 4 should be called "The Forresters strikes back" I just hope episode 6 is "The Forresters strikes back Part 2"

• End of the World

Game critic reviews aren't always an indication of quality. Several episodes people liked (such as Borderlands Episode 4) got middling reviews from a few sites while people on the forums (including me) fawned over the episode, whereas other episodes some people here felt iffy about (like Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 4) got great reviews on some sites.

Overall, what matters most is how much you individually enjoy the episode.

• edited October 2015

Exactly. As Tales From the Borderlands shows us, they are still perfectly capable of making fantastic games.

One game at a time*

They are clearly incapable of trying to do two projects simultaneously.

Exactly. As Tales From the Borderlands shows us, they are still perfectly capable of making fantastic games. And GoT is not so bad either. I mean, sure, Episode 5 was pretty bad, but Episode 4 was awesome.

• edited October 2015

Game critic reviews aren't always an indication of quality.

Fortunately, those aren't just game critic reviews.

User Scores are significantly WORSE.

Episode 5

Metascore: 7.4
    Userscore: 6.7

So you're right. Critic scores are not indicative of quality. GoT was WORSE than the critics thought!

The Walking Dead scores were very similar (critic 8.9 vs user 8.7)
    Borderlands the scores were also very similar (critic vs user, often exactly the same or within 0.2 point difference).

Game of Thrones though, the user scores don't match the critics. It's either higher or lower. All much much lower than TWD or Borderlands.

People don't seem to grasp how big of a difference 10 points is in a scale of 100. The worst games are given 50-70. It's like gradeschool. A seventy is considered a "C" average. That's bad. Anything above an 90 is nothing short of amazing. Anything below a 70 is almost a scam, it's that bad. So the real scores are 70-90.

Really though, the entire score system is horrible. No one knows how to rate things. However, within reason, you can see how much worse GoT is compared to TWD and Borderlands. GoT is clearly one of their worst, and on the business side of things that makes perfect sense. They stretched themselves too thin and are unable to competently focus on more than one title at a time. Developing two at the same time is bad for them.

End of the World Game critic reviews aren't always an indication of quality. Several episodes people liked (such as Borderlands Episode 4

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

A seventy is considered a "C" average. That's bad.

This is something that I never quite understood about the games industry: why is a 7/10 considered sub-par again, exactly?

Actually, on that same subject, why is a C considered bad anyways? Wouldn't it make more sense for a C to be considered more of a neutral grade? Not exactly good, not exactly bad?

Is there some reasoning for this that I'm just not comprehending? Was everyone just conditioned to believe that <7 is bad?

RonnyRulz posted: »

Game critic reviews aren't always an indication of quality. Fortunately, those aren't just game critic reviews. User Scores are s

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited October 2015

I wouldn't call one game getting lower review scores than the rest of their catalog a 'downfall' yet

When I think of a downfall in terms of the video game industry, I think of a company managing to send itself swirling down the shitter at an alarming rate; a company quickly going bankrupt, or going from a few good games to franchises that completely tank critically and commercially, random lay-offs and huge changes in business structure or overall direction that end up for the worse, tons of negative press or allegations suddenly coming out of the woodwork, and everything in between. Or a company like Konami doing... whatever the hell they're doing currently.

• edited October 2015

cough cough If one game happens to be slightly worse while another one being released at the same time is gaining much better scores doesn't mean it's a company's downfall and I think you contradict yourself! cough cough

Sorry, caught a cold.

• Yet, they have managed it.

RonnyRulz posted: »

Exactly. As Tales From the Borderlands shows us, they are still perfectly capable of making fantastic games. One game at a time* They are clearly incapable of trying to do two projects simultaneously.

• no

Telltale still consider this game a huge success

so

no

also i love this game, far more than other certain ones, but i won't be naming anything

This discussion has been closed.