Do I need to watch the series of GoT before I play the game?

So to keep a long story short.

I have tried to watch GoT but never really had the chance I guess (you know how it is, starting a new series :P) But I recently purchased the Telltale game due to it being cheap on steam. Basically, as the question says will I need to watch the tv series in order to play the game properly?
I want to save GoT for when I can watch a long tv series e.g. aeroplane or something.
I remember the telltale walking dead game got me heavily involved in the walking dead tv series and comics and I was hoping the GoT game would do the same for me. However, i have heard from lots of people mixed results: Some say you need to watch the show, some say not really and some say theres only one major spoiler - red wedding. But tbh the way GoT fans go on about the red wedding i dont think its going to be a massive spoiler for me as every man and his dog has talked about it as if it's the 2nd coming.
SO overall, will i absolutely need to watch the GoT series to understand the game? Or is it not really necessary?
I would appreciate an in-depth response that doesn't include any spoilers for either tv series or telltale game!

Thanks!

Comments

• It helps but it's not necessary, I know people that don't even like the show but loved the game.

• You don't really have to watch the show but I would suggest you watching it cause you may not understand what's going on most of the time.

• thanks man!

AgentZ46 posted: »

It helps but it's not necessary, I know people that don't even like the show but loved the game.

• is there a season where i need to get up to?

Wolfenus54 posted: »

You don't really have to watch the show but I would suggest you watching it cause you may not understand what's going on most of the time.

• Watch it at least until the second episode of season 4. But I'm not sure what will they show in the final Episode of the game, so watching the whole 4th season would be a safe bet. :P

pm4hughes posted: »

is there a season where i need to get up to?

• As Pipas said, I think you should watch until the end of season 4 since the first season of TTGoT takes place in the ending of S3 and in S4 of the show.

pm4hughes posted: »

is there a season where i need to get up to?

• Yes you should watch the show.

• I got into the game before watching the show and loved it, but I was still confused about the lore, some characters and terms. Watching the show definitely helps kind of boost up the experience of the game, but it's not necessary, though I do recommend it.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.