[Spoilers] Episode 5 Harbor Ambush: I know that choice is mostly an illusion, but THIS?

edited October 2015 in Game Of Thrones

I realise I am late to the party, but I did not find a thread discussing this yet.

So I spared the Traitor (Duncan the Defeatist, in my case). I really had to grit my teeth AND break my promise to Talia, in order to not gut that snake on the Spot. But I felt that knowing the Whitehills plans would be more important than vengeance at the time and might save some lives.

And what did I get? Rodrik walking right into the ambush like a fool, anyway.

An ambush led by a sneering, healthy Gryff, who I crippled beyond recogniton not long before. Or not, apparently?

I know that Telltale gamedesign is mostly handwaving and tying the strings of our choices in such a way that they lead to more or less the same outcome. And I'm even fine with that as long as it's done in a plausible way. But THIS? It's just straight up retconning.

Comments

• I agree. I'm not as interested in choice liberation, as most people. Nor do I expect my choices to really change the story. That being said, stuff like Rodrik learning of the ambush, and then walking straight into it as if he didn't know is beyond acceptable. As is Gryff's regenerating powers.

I consider myself a die-hard Telltale fan. And personally, Game of Thrones is my favourite game of theirs. But there's no defending those two points.
  • There is a criticism thread on the forums, please post stuff like this there. The reason behind that is that much stuff you posted here has been adressed alredy many times.

• The thing with Gryff was a glitch in the game, there is the model of him in the files with him all beat up and wearing a bandage over his eye, but it didn't show in the game, even if you beat him up.
  • About Gryff's face it was a bug and they will fix it.

DillonDex posted: »

I agree. I'm not as interested in choice liberation, as most people. Nor do I expect my choices to really change the story. That being said,

• That thread is a few pages back, so it's pretty hard for some people to even know about it.

There is a criticism thread on the forums, please post stuff like this there. The reason behind that is that much stuff you posted here has been adressed alredy many times.

• I did the same, and when Rodrik was asked what to do next I picked "we prepare for war" because it was what I think he would do.

But nope.

What think they could have done was made us get to Asher before Gryff since we knew about the ambush already. Then, with both brothers alive, we would pick one of the brothers to be the main Ironrath POV and the other is relegated to second plan, being now a NPC.
  • Episode 5 has been out for a while though hasn't it? Wonder why it still hasn't been fixed then.

Also, can we expect a fix for being shoehorned into the ambush, or should I just rewind, kill the Traitor and accept that the game apparently wants us to?

darko22 posted: »

About Gryff's face it was a bug and they will fix it.

• edited October 2015

If it's in the files one might almost hope that there is a whole alternative scene in there, that does not prevent the ambush, but at least plausibly explains why it happens anyway. Just like the texture, this scene might not have loaded?

Still, the question remains why Telltale hasn't fixed it in all these months

The thing with Gryff was a glitch in the game, there is the model of him in the files with him all beat up and wearing a bandage over his eye, but it didn't show in the game, even if you beat him up.

• If there was no ambush, there was no Rodrik/Asher choice, so telltale was wasting their whole life making episode 6.

Get it? The ambush NEEDED to happen. Gryff's model is a glitch that they will fix when episode 6 releases (I think.)

Skurkanas posted: »

If it's in the files one might almost hope that there is a whole alternative scene in there, that does not prevent the ambush, but at least

• Is there confirmation of this? I've seen one model on this forum, and it was said to be a fan made model.

darko22 posted: »

About Gryff's face it was a bug and they will fix it.

• Sure I get it. Have you even read my post? :P I don't want them to prevent the ambush, just to plausibly explain why it happens anyway.
    Maybe the Whitehills outsmarted you, maybe the ambush is not where you thought it would be, maybe your Messengers were bribed/killed, whatever.

But Rodrik being all like "WHAT? AN AMBUSH?! I HAD NO IDEA" when he was told there would be an ambush 10 ingame minutes before, feels dumb and implausible.

If there was no ambush, there was no Rodrik/Asher choice, so telltale was wasting their whole life making episode 6. Get it? The ambush NEEDED to happen. Gryff's model is a glitch that they will fix when episode 6 releases (I think.)

• It wasn't a fan made model. And a staff member confirmed on the technical forums that they were looking into the problem.

RichWalk23 posted: »

Is there confirmation of this? I've seen one model on this forum, and it was said to be a fan made model.

• That hurts my image of them. I can understand a tree in the background but gryffs face? That's a big deal especially since they led us to believe we crushed his face only to show up two days later looking like smiling Johnny. I loved all games telltale so far I love GOT the show just not feeling this game but the end will make or break I won't give up I have had too much hope to quit. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Lewsblake23 posted: »

It wasn't a fan made model. And a staff member confirmed on the technical forums that they were looking into the problem.

• Well, weeks actually passed between Gryff escaping and the ambush, but yeah, he still should have had injuries.

That hurts my image of them. I can understand a tree in the background but gryffs face? That's a big deal especially since they led us to be

• Hope to see Gryff with a beat-up face in episode 6 (I'll be sure to finish the job).

The thing with Gryff was a glitch in the game, there is the model of him in the files with him all beat up and wearing a bandage over his eye, but it didn't show in the game, even if you beat him up.

• Ugh, that bothered me too. I didn't kill the Traitor cause I wanted to know the Whitehill's plans.

And I wish there was a option like ''Hear the plan and then kill the traitor''.

But nope, Telltale had to make things more complicated. ;_;

• I did not read your post, sorry. :P
    I thought this was another "Ambush hate thread" so i just said what was on my mind.

Skurkanas posted: »

Sure I get it. Have you even read my post? :P I don't want them to prevent the ambush, just to plausibly explain why it happens anyway. May

• I think it's at least somewhat plausible they would show up at the harbor no matter what, but I do agree they should've been better prepared had you heard the plans.

At least it's not the ending of Amid the Ruins from Walking Dead: Season 2, where your choice from earlier in the episode is blatantly ignored altogether. :P

• I agree they should've been better prepared, but the main variable was that they didn't expect a traitor in their own ranks and for their force to get split like it did. If they hadn't gotten split like they did, they would have been able to put up a fight.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.