My thoughts about the Ironwood Decree

Many people has talked about the Iroonwood Decree that Mira can either burn or keep in episode 3. I have been thinking about what good it could possibility do. It is something that links Mira to Tyrion. Two characters stated why it is such a bad idea to have this decree. Margeary say that such a decree would cause further harm to the Forrester's reputation in the court. Morgryn say that such a decree could land Mira in the black cells. So why should Mira keep such a decree if it can only land her in trouble.

Then I thought about it, I realized that burning the decree is what people expect her to do. The decree is what allow the Crown to buy ironwood from the Forresters only. Like Tyrion said in episode 1, this means that if the Whitehills has to sell their ironwood, they have to go through the Forresters. This means that if the decree becomes public they can't sell their ironwood unless they cooperate with the Forresters. This also means that the Whitehills can't do anything toward the Forresters. They can't destroy the house because they need them to sell the ironwood. They essentially need to be good friends with the Forresters if they want any profit at all. This by extension means that the Boltons can't do anything to harm the Forresters because they are under the crown's protection.

Since the war has started between the two houses and the Whitehills are the one who attacked first. If the decree becomes public, this means that the Whitehills are going up against the crown. Whatever the crown likes it or not, they have to back the Forresters.

With these thoughts, it makes me think that the decree is a really powerful weapon for the Forresters. It is a wild card. It can possibly cost Mira her life, but it can also help save her family. It is one of the few precious cards that Mira can use in the game.

Now these are just wild speculation and my thoughts about what kind of role the decree can do in the last episode.

Comments

• tbh I think it will play as much of a role as the gold Asher gets from Dany, but there is one more episode, so...

• Doesn't hurt to hope. :)

As for the gold, Asher and Beskha probably spend it all partying the whole night before heading back to Westeros.

tbh I think it will play as much of a role as the gold Asher gets from Dany, but there is one more episode, so...

• I don't think the Crown would be forced to keep their side of the agreement, considering the circumstances. Tyrion didn't send the decree before being arrested and convicted for Regicide, after all.

The Crown doesn't have to back the Forresters. Who would enforce that, after all? Cersei can very well tear it to pieces right in your face and get the new Master of Coin to make one for Ludd.

Honestly, I don't think we will be able to use the decree for selling ironwood. I think we might be able to use it as proof that our involvement with Tyrion was merely business, but I also think it is better if there is no proof of involvement with Tyrion at all. However, it might not be possible to eliminate all proof of involvement with Tyrion. I don't know if burning it does much good since other people know about its existence, like a certain charming merchant lord with amazing eyebrow game, and if he informs Cersei that the decree existed, it might seem really suspicious that Mira would burn it if it was "merely business" and nothing actually incriminating.

• edited October 2015

Hmm...If so, it makes me wonder why they gave us the option of either burning or keeping it. And speaking of our dear Lord Morgryn. :)

enter image description here

I couldn't resist posting this pic. :)

Abeille posted: »

I don't think the Crown would be forced to keep their side of the agreement, considering the circumstances. Tyrion didn't send the decree be

• Yes, they spent it on the finest wines and the best whores... :)

Doesn't hurt to hope. As for the gold, Asher and Beskha probably spend it all partying the whole night before heading back to Westeros.

• I really, really, really hope that the Ironwood Decree has an impact on the story - I didn't burn it because of the potential power it held in favor of the Forresters.

MyMira is someone whose willing to take great risks and be just as ruthless when needed all for the good of her family - I think she can handle what troubles may come her way with choosing to keep the decree.

Oh Episode 6... we all thought we'd see you come O27... instead you slap us on the face and now you'e a whole extra month away.... please use all this extra time to weave all the story elements together, don't forget the Ironwood Decree, or Asher's Gold, or Bloodsong (if he has a role in Ironrath if he survives) - yet I'm still unsure of whether I should hold high expectations..

• edited October 2015

I was convinced that keeping the Ironwood Decree is the best choice after the telltale writers tried to trick me into burning it.

• I am sure that the Whitehills can't stand the power of a martial art fighter like Bloodsong. :D

Sadly, I killed him. :(

Harian96 posted: »

I really, really, really hope that the Ironwood Decree has an impact on the story - I didn't burn it because of the potential power it held

• I kept the decree because at the very least it could muck up the process and buy time for what the other forresters are doing.

• Dont get me wrong it could be useful but how exactly? Tyrion is the one who made that decree, nothing he did matters now.

Plus this would mean choice having an effect, and with a season 2 a possibiity there isnt much chance of that.

Im guessing in all game cersei agrees to help mira but essentially makes mira her slave to spy on margery.

• Cersei isn't gonna be in power for much longer

Dont get me wrong it could be useful but how exactly? Tyrion is the one who made that decree, nothing he did matters now. Plus this would

• Yeah thats still season 2 stuff, Mira doesnt know that now. Plus she may not be in power but tyrion isnt either, he still has no power

• You know...Cersei should take up a job ripping papers. No one can match her skill and grace in the art.

Wigams posted: »

enter link description here

• It can only be important papers for characters we love otherwise Cersei would have someone else do it. I mean she could brake a nail.

You know...Cersei should take up a job ripping papers. No one can match her skill and grace in the art.

• There's something i still don't understand

In Season 4 of the show , Tywin mention that the crown/Lannisters owe the iron bank a huge amount of money, and they ran out of gold

So this basically means they can't pay for the ironwood

Unless the Tyrells pay for it , which is doubtful that the Tyrells will keep doing for a long time considering what Cersei have done in Season 5

Sign in to comment in this discussion.