Why does Rodrik receive such hate?

Comments

• This. People talk like we still have the Glenmores as allies and I'm like um they went home and Lord Glenmore pretty much disowned Elaena. Not much help coming to us there.

MrEggplant posted: »

But Rodrik don't have Glenmores since that bastard Ramsay Bolton send them away

• I'm also sick of everyone parading how Asher leaving Rodrik to die was the right choice, there is no logic in that - realistically Rodrik is the Lord of Ironrath, and in many ways he is the embodiment of House Forrester, his survival is key priority above all others - Asher's motivations were all about saving his family - I can realistically see him making the honorable sacrifice to save his brother, the head of his house and family, not the other way round just for story sakes because it cuts Asher's arc way too short.

• Now, now girls, you're both pretty.

• Don't you think people such as myself are equally sick of people parading how Rodrik leaving Asher to die was the right choice?

Harian96 posted: »

I'm also sick of everyone parading how Asher leaving Rodrik to die was the right choice, there is no logic in that - realistically Rodrik is

• Personally I just liked Asher a Hell of a lot more than Rodrik since he never stood out to me. That's no reason to go disrespecting someone else's choice though.

• You cant take anything people say in the YouTube comments seriously.

• From my POV, I just liked Asher more. Sure I enjoyed Rodrik's story. He survived the RW, comes back to a broken Ironrath, struggles under the tyranny of the Whitehills/Boltons while maintaining relationships with Talia,Eleana, etc.

But Asher's a cool dude.

• You don't know how much I ship you x my Steam chat

Wolfenus54 posted: »

You don't know how much I ship you x Asher xD

• I like rodrik(he is written that way, right?) more because i can relate to him more. I'm Not the "playboy" type like Asher. I'm more of the "quiet" type. But i still like Asher, though.

• What do you call a blond behind a steering wheel?

I love Rodders but...

• edited November 2015

I love both brothers for different reasons. I believe both are strong and capable in combat. However, I left Rodrik behind on the basic principle of how I played his character.

Rodrik in my eyes was a strong man and capable leader. However, his one weakness was family. When Gryff shoved Talia, my Rodrik instantly punched him. When the Whitehills disrespected Ethan's memory, my Rodrik struck the guard. When things got out of hand at Highpoint, my Rodrik reached for Ryon. When Ramsay was tormenting Talia, my Rodrik shielded her.

So, when it came down to him or Asher living, my Rodrik once again gained tunnel vision, and immediately became the big brother protecting his siblings, which is why he chose to sacrifice himself for Asher, which lead to his death.

That's essentially why I chose to leave behind Rodrik. Plus, Asher proved in the scene with the pit fighters that he's come a long way and is also capable of leading, which is why I believe Rodrik can rest easy knowing he left his House in good hands.

But these are just my personal reasons/opinions. I wouldn't condemn anyone who chose to save Rodrik. (I myself even intend to see that alternative route come episode 6.)

• edited November 2015

I had no problem leaving Asher. It's GoT. Rodrick is a leader and is heir to House Forrester, and he got his army we've waited three damn episodes for. Asher has nothing worthwhile after delivering the Pit Fighters, thus his storyline had to end here in the best way it could; fighting. Even if you come here and say I'm wrong, look at the actual game plot itself.

Rodrick is heir. Asher is disowned.

Rodrick can now fight. Asher has fought the entire time.

Rodrick is a leader. Asher is a killer-on-impulse.

Rodrick has everyone counting on him. Asher only has Beshka.

Obviously I'm biased to the better (and logical) character, but all Asher has is that damn Asher grin. You can say I'm wrong, but G.R.R.M doesn't kill characters without actual cause. If he did, the first book would've ended with everybody dead just for the hell of killing people.

• edited November 2015

Ughhh it so bothers me when people write him off as "just a cripple" as if going off to war and getting stabbed like eighty times and crushed by a horse and nearly dying for the King in the North makes him useless to his house. Excuse him for being a little physically messed up after all that, and anyway when you look at it Rodrik is a pretty all right guy. Gregor told him to stay home but he wouldn't let his father go to war alone, that's really courageous. Even with all he's dealing with he tells Talia several times not to worry and let him handle everything, and despite having just lost his father and brother he still has the emotional strength to be there for Elaena in her grief. He's a good person and it hurts my heart that people discount him and think he's disposable because he went and got seriously injured for something he believed in. That's a huge part of why I couldn't leave him, he'd been through so much and it upset me that his story could end like that after everything. Plus I like to think that at least Asher had a nice time with his booze and whores, or at least that's how I'm trying to console myself. ;D

Now Asher is a pretty great guy too. Anyone who gets exiled and then finds it within himself to drop everything to try to save the family he hasn't seen or even heard from in years has got to have a giant heart. I also appreciate that he differentiates between Gregor sending him away and the rest of the family, as I'm sure Gregor didn't give them a vote. I could extol both of their virtues and strong points for days and I'll never forgive Telltale for making us choose. I was so looking forward to seeing them interact and how they get along and watching them go off to Highpoint to kick ass and save the house together, and we not only got denied that, we didn't even get to see a bro hug! I mean come on! T_T

-AsherGrin- posted: »

You are welcome! And I completely agree with all you've said. He's so very underrated as a character, and as person, gets none of the cr

• edited November 2015

There are merits to keeping and leaving both. This was designed that way. This is TTG as much as GoT. Your argument has flaws in it. Rodrick can stand upright - that doesn't make him automatically recovered. Asher is not necessarily a "killer-on-impulse" depending on how you play him. Everyone was counting on Asher to bring the army too, and the pit fighters follow him. Asher has years of combat experience, the loyalty of his people, and that wonderful Asher grin. His arc isn't over any more than Rodrick - it's a little crazy to say he has done nothing since delivering the pit fighters because that's where episode 5 pretty much ends. This story can be as much about Asher's return home as it was Rodrick's restoration, and the key to this is based on the decision YOU make - how you interpret the story.

My point being, that you are no more correct than I am. Because this isn't A Song of Fire and Ice. It's not an easy answer either way. It's not supposed to be. It's supposed to be one of the hardest choices in the company's history, which it kind of is. Acting like you are right, or somehow "correct" - well, it's pretty wrong.

Barthanax posted: »

I had no problem leaving Asher. It's GoT. Rodrick is a leader and is heir to House Forrester, and he got his army we've waited three damn ep

• Nope, because there was some logic to that choice, it was a tough and painful decision but it kept with Asher's character in saving his family and was more realistic in showing how the Lord's survival is always top priority.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Don't you think people such as myself are equally sick of people parading how Rodrik leaving Asher to die was the right choice?

• There's logic in both. Don't be so arrogant as to think you're choice is right and mine is wrong.

Harian96 posted: »

Nope, because there was some logic to that choice, it was a tough and painful decision but it kept with Asher's character in saving his family and was more realistic in showing how the Lord's survival is always top priority.

• It's all about how people simply wont look past crippling injuries or disability and see the bigger picture. The moment you have it, it doesn't matter what skill or ability you have, that's all everyone sees: a cripple or a disabled man.

I really, really don't know. It truly baffles me beyond measure. It's hard to imagine anyone other than Rodrik, Asher included, being abl

• Honestly, that's what upsets me most. It's not that the majority of people leave him behind--it's that the majority do it because, in their eyes, he's "just a cripple." When clearly there is so much more to him than that, both as a character and a person. He really does encapsulate the motto "Iron From Ice" like no other Forrester does.

And yes, I don't think I'll ever accept the fact there was no bro hug :-'(

Great post by the way :)

lilithnight posted: »

Ughhh it so bothers me when people write him off as "just a cripple" as if going off to war and getting stabbed like eighty times and crushe

• edited November 2015

I always think that the reason why they never gave each other a hug or have any warm greetings, it is because their relationship is stained. It is obvious that Asher does care for his elder brother, but I think that Asher may either feel that he is in his elder brother's shadow that why he has a sarcastic attitude when he meets him again or that Asher has some feeling of jealousy because their father show more attention to Rodrik than him.

I hope episode 6 can give us some clarification on that.

Honestly, that's what upsets me most. It's not that the majority of people leave him behind--it's that the majority do it because, in their

• -AsherGrin--AsherGrin- Banned
    edited November 2015

Yeah, I imagine it's meant to be ambiguous. But still, we are playing as Asher in that scene, he does say "Everyone learns to love to Rodrik", and we are able to die for him a minute later--surely a [Hug] option isn't too outlandish. But I see your point. Still sucks tho :P

It would be awesome for Episode 6 to allow us to detail their relationship, however. Say, at a funeral scene. We get the options like (as either Asher or Rodrik) to say of the other:

• He was the best of us
    • He saved my life, even though I didn't deserve it
    • While we never got a long...

Urgh. I'm getting so excited for Episode 6 just thinking about it! :-D

I always think that the reason why they never gave each other a hug or have any warm greetings, it is because their relationship is stained.

• I'm quite excited too! A lot of big releases coming in this month, but Game of Thrones Episode 6 is what I am most excited for. :)

Yeah, I imagine it's meant to be ambiguous. But still, we are playing as Asher in that scene, he does say "Everyone learns to love to Rodrik

• Same, same. :) I mean I'm so ridiculously excited for Fallout 4, but The Ice Dragon still tops it.

IronFromIce

I'm quite excited too! A lot of big releases coming in this month, but Game of Thrones Episode 6 is what I am most excited for.

• Yeah, but look at Rodrik's sick dodging skills!

People hate rodric because he's a terrible command leader.

• I saved Rodrik, but Asher's grin is still damn good reason for choosing him instead.

Barthanax posted: »

I had no problem leaving Asher. It's GoT. Rodrick is a leader and is heir to House Forrester, and he got his army we've waited three damn ep

• I've nothing against the man but I left Rodric behind because he's oldish and lived his life plus I wanted to see more of Asher however I am considering a do-over because I do want Rodric to show them bullies that he is totally capable of kicking butt.

• Rodrik is like 4-6 years older than Asher, that's hardly 'lived his life' XD

I've nothing against the man but I left Rodric behind because he's oldish and lived his life plus I wanted to see more of Asher however I am

• edited November 2015

My reasoning was that Rodrik had already cheated death once,and he did get do some important stuff, so overall his character arc feels pretty complete by the time he dies in EP5.

And, he feels like he failed to protect Ethan, so now he had the chance to save another younger brother of his. It seems like something he would do as an older brother.

Letting Asher die,though, feels wrong. It's like his story is cut short. He finally gets back to Westeros after such a long time, ready to wreck shit, and then...he dies within 5 minutes of getting there? Nope. Can't have that. Too anticlimatic!

• Another Rodrik mispelled.

I've nothing against the man but I left Rodric behind because he's oldish and lived his life plus I wanted to see more of Asher however I am

• I can't imagine Rodrik is any older than mid to late 20s. Older than Asher sure but I wouldn't say he's oldish or lived his live. Plus with Asher travelling Essos and Rodrik fighting in a war, I'd think Asher lived more of a life than Rodrik.

• Yeaaah I sort of assumed there was some tension there because of Gregor. He and Rodrik were clearly fairly close since even for the short amount of time we see Gregor he spends a good 80% of his time talking about Rodrik, and at the funeral Rodrik seemed more upset to me about Gregor than Ethan, to be honest. I think the sarcasm is also just part of who Asher is because I know a lot of the time when I was playing as him I got into trouble by trying to be funny and people took it the totally wrong way, like when I told Malcolm didn't he mean fire and blood and he gave me this look and I was like don't be like that, it was a joke! The first time I played the episode I told Rodrik he'd looked better and that was funny albeit in a dark kind of way, but when I went back to save Asher for my other file I greeted him as "my lord" and the look he gives you is indicative of some serious baggage. I would love to know more about the dynamics of their relationship, since Rodrik basically wanted to be Gregor and Asher spent a lot of his time defying everything the man wanted him to do and be. That's definitely going to make things a bit complicated between them and I would REALLY HAVE LIKED TO SEE THAT, TELLTALE. ;_; My headcanon is they always cared about one another but there's the strained history and machoness that prevents them from being all that affectionate, but that they kind of expected to reconnect with Asher's return. It's my headcanon because it breaks my heart and I'm a masochist that way. xD We had better get some background in episode 6... ahem, Telltale, are you there...

I always think that the reason why they never gave each other a hug or have any warm greetings, it is because their relationship is stained.

• Rodrik is my fav and I thought he had more personal matters in his story then Asher which made me care for Rodrik more. The only prob is I feel bad for Asher cuz he doesn't get to see his family again whom he still very cares about and he just set foot back in westeros :| tuff either way

• edited November 2015

I won't lie, I'd become attached to Rodrik. He was m'lord for life. Slammin' that fist on the table, steppin' to Gryff when he pushed, calling a bluff and being right, the guy was amazing. As a lord, he was the glue that held everyone together. He was a rock of salvation and calm, and sensitive to the needs and feelings of others. A great man whose father would have been proud.

It tore me up inside to let him go. There was going to be an emotional, heartbreaking death one way or the other, and Asher's is just as much of a tearjerker. But I made my choice based on what would have happened. Well, when I say that, I mean what made sense to me for their characters to do and how the narrative would flow. Rodrik would've been the hero. Asher is older, but I feel that Rodrik was by far the more mature one. He was the eldest after Asher left and was groomed for the throne since. Rodrik has led troops in warfare and is very familiar with the weight of command. This is all how I justify him taking control of the situation in that moment, and neither of them are the type to say "you stay behind, I'll go", which would have been a retcon to either character. I mean what brave commander wants to be remembered as the guy who said to a fellow comrade, "I'll go, you stay"? So the only option open to Rodrik, when he takes control of the situation, is to tell his brother to leave.

In fact, he's the one who realizes the impending sacrifice and takes it upon himself to inform his brother of the score. I chose Rodrik to stay because it fit him so well. I didn't choose Asher to be saved not because I felt he was "better", or "worthy". I chose what I felt was most appropriate to both of their characters. It helps that Rodrik's death will be a violent catalyst for change, for Asher to become the leader and the lord he was born to be and save House Forrester. I'm honestly not sure how to justify Asher's behavior in the narrative if he dies, but I'll not step on your attempts to do so.

And about all those people criticizing either character to justify their choice, the ones who aren't taking the piss - you can ignore them. They're dicks. That courtesy is extended by the quieter ones who play, those who assume/believe that everyone should be more understanding and less damning of characters in a game for petty reasons, and thus have less to say as time goes on. A lot of people who chanted Stannis's name are just flying from one boat to the next after their previous roost sinks. They abandoned Ned Stark, they abandoned Robb and Stannis and Jon Snow, and they're gathering around Danaerys and Tyrion now. The ones who keep chanting the names of the dead are either deluding themselves or trolling.

You are free my friend! Born free. As free as the wind blows. As free as the grass grows. Free to follow your heart, etc.

• edited November 2015

Rodrik is the oldest.

Hbh128 posted: »

I won't lie, I'd become attached to Rodrik. He was m'lord for life. Slammin' that fist on the table, steppin' to Gryff when he pushed, calli

• Checks Oh. That's right. Well, there you go.

ousen posted: »

Rodrik is the oldest.

• I feel the same way towards another character: Duncan. I hate how most of Royland fans act like their choice was better and treat Duncan like a total weasel.

• Well I didnt see any kind of Rodrik is a cripple hate here in the forums. I love Rodrik and he will annihilate the Whitehills in my game. He will torture Gryff and make him suffer. It will be good as fuck. Oh yes. Blood everywhere... I cant wait for Nov 17. I will be worse than Ramsay.

Do you love me GRYFF?

enter image description here

• STANNIS IS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED FUCKING BREAD

Goddamn right.

• I don't understand why some people still go on about how Rodrick is a cripple etc. He is increasingly getting better in each scene. We even saw him burn his stick that he was using to help him walk. By episode 6 I'm sure he is going to be fighting fit. Plus if he can give Eleanor (sorry if that's spelt wrong) a good seeing too wink wink I'm sure he can hold a sword.

• edited November 2015

enter link description here

=

enter image description here

Has science gone too far?

• Agreed, I saved Rodrik, and then go into the steam forums and evryone said "RODERICKKSA IS CRIPPLE BLAH BLAH, ASHER DIED FOR NOTHING !" Man this is GoT and Rodrik as lord he's the last person whose duty it is to stay behind, like you said.
    And Asher's death bring the Army to Rodrik, plus saved his brother ass from the ambush!!
    Robb Stark, died for no reason too, after we watch 3 temp and read 3 books and the Red Wedding come.
    After all this is GAME OF THRONES!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.