How do the Whitehills know about Asher coming over the Narrow Sea?

edited November 2015 in Game Of Thrones

It's been a couple of months since I've played Episode 5, so maybe I've forgotten a critical piece of information. How did the Whitehills learn about the meeting at the port?

Edit: We've come to a censuses that the traitor was the one who told the Whitehills.

Comments

• I believe from the traitor.

• edited November 2015

AHA! That's just were problem lies Sharkhunter21. If the traitor did indeed tell the Whitehills about Asher then that means one of three things.

(Royland is my traitor so I'm referring to him exclusively.)

1. Everything the traitor says is complete BS and he's a opportunistic dirt-bag trying to save he's own skin.

2. The traitor is telling truth and his plan to protect the Forresters was to keep the them weak so that the Whitehills could take over peacefully without anymore Forresters dying. Otherwise why would Royland tell the Whitehills about Asher considering that he is their best chance for fighting back?

3. The Telltale writers messed up.

I believe from the traitor.

• edited November 2015

I believe the third option is correct.

Kireilt posted: »

AHA! That's just were problem lies Sharkhunter21. If the traitor did indeed tell the Whitehills about Asher then that means one of three thi

• I got Duncan as my traitor, so the scene made more sense to me.

AHA! That's just were problem lies Sharkhunter21. If the traitor did indeed tell the Whitehills about Asher then that means one of three thi

• edited November 2015

I can't speak for Duncan as I do not know how he's argument goes, but for Royland nothing he says makes sense. He contradicts himself several times and straight up lies about how he obtained his position.

I got Duncan as my traitor, so the scene made more sense to me.

• That's why I prefer Duncan's version. His reasoning is that Rodrik is too reckless, driving the Foresters and Whitehills to war and having Royland as his sentinel.

We have seen how shady Duncan can be such as keeping secrets and undermining Ethan by sending Gared to the Wall, having contact with Gwyn and etc.

And the traitor scene is definitely more emotional since Duncan was Gregor's best friend and can be regarded as the Forrester children's honorary uncle. Rodrik was basically betrayed by his own family, that why he sounded more hurt by the betrayal.

I can't speak for Duncan as I do not know how he's argument goes, but for Royland nothing he says makes sense. He contradicts himself several times and straight up lies about how he obtained his position.

• edited November 2015

Actually I think it's explained quite easily, hear me out.

So the traitor knows what port Asher is coming to and we know the traitor releases Gryff and crew. It's very believable to assume that as he was freeing the captured Whitehills, he informed them about it since it's kinda his duty to as the traitor. So from there we can assume one of two things, either Gryff managed to get back to Highpoint to gather more forces for the ambush and was fortunate enough to beat the Forresters there (or reached it at the same time) or Gryff and and w/e forces he had were plenty enough so they headed straight for the port.

You are right that the traitor is trying to save themselves, it's simply what everyone does when backed into a corner and they have no way out, the traitor only has the bargaining chip of the information which both try to use. However, the traitor's plan isn't to protect the Forrester's, recall that both men are allegedly doing it for the House's sake. If the ambush had gone off perfectly, both Rodrik and Asher are dead and the only heir to the house is Ryon who is a hostage. This would have meant pretty much complete victory for the Whitehills, either they could make Ryon their puppet for the house or kill him and just take it over.

And if that happens then the traitor wins as well and more than likely would become the 'lord' of the house under Whitehill rule.

(And you can just call me Shark btw, I know it's a pain to type out my full username XP)

• So we all agree that the traitor is actively trying to destroy the Forresters because that's the only way their actions make sense.

Actually I think it's explained quite easily, hear me out. So the traitor knows what port Asher is coming to and we know the traitor rele

• The traitor.

• No, the traitor was trying to get rid of Rodrik because he feels the house is doomed with him in charge.

So we all agree that the traitor is actively trying to destroy the Forresters because that's the only way their actions make sense.

• Malcom Branfield sent a message to Ironrath for Rodrik but the Traitor (Duncan) intercepted it and reported it to Ludd who told the Traitor to release Gryff to ambush Asher at White Harbour.

• That much I can understand. However, what irks me is that my traitor's reason's for betraying and his actions throughout series don't line up.

AgentZ46 posted: »

No, the traitor was trying to get rid of Rodrik because he feels the house is doomed with him in charge.

• Think about it, it's not rodricks fault for starting the war because of something Gwyn Whitehill said in episode 3, "my father is just waiting for an excuse to attack" plus in my opinion, I don't know how many of you will agree with me, Royland is the better option for sentinel because castellans, such as Duncan, run the house until the lord is ready to, or so I'm told, since rodrick/Asher is leading the house the castellans is almost useless plus a master at arms trains soldiers and if Royland turns traitor the foresters won't be able to train a army. So ya, Royland is my homie

That's why I prefer Duncan's version. His reasoning is that Rodrik is too reckless, driving the Foresters and Whitehills to war and having R

• Everything the traitor go's off of when you confront him can, except choosing the sentinel and Arthur getting killed, all the choices you make that can make Duncan/Royland mad and be a turncoat can be made so that the traitor does not have a problem with it, I know what I'm saying is complicated so here's and example. When you confront traitor Duncan he says "you refused to kiss Ludd's ring, even though you knew he'd retalate" you can then rewind in episode two where the choice is made, kiss ludd's ring and he won't say anything about it but still turns traitor.

That much I can understand. However, what irks me is that my traitor's reason's for betraying and his actions throughout series don't line up.

• edited November 2015

I've just replayed Episode 5 again. Royland says that Asher will make a better lord than Rodrik. So why would he tell the Whitehills that Asher is coming, putting Asher's life in danger?

NicWarden posted: »

Malcom Branfield sent a message to Ironrath for Rodrik but the Traitor (Duncan) intercepted it and reported it to Ludd who told the Traitor to release Gryff to ambush Asher at White Harbour.

• Because the Traitor is a dick head no matter who he is and Telltale didn't put much effort into what he says. I think.

I've just replayed Episode 5 again. Royland says that Asher will make a better lord than Rodrik. So why would he tell the Whitehills that Asher is coming, putting Asher's life in danger?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.