The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• ErykaEryka Banned

Well sorry if I didn't know..

BigBlindMax posted: »

and the like means "things similar to". Don't act like you don't understand the gist of what I'm saying though.

• BigBlindMaxBigBlindMax Banned
    edited May 2016

Don't be sorry. Be better.

I'm not the only one losing patience with this.

Eryka posted: »

Well sorry if I didn't know..

• Because its clearly just a nasty little jab. You have been chatting to your friends all day, all 250+ comments of it, so obviously they would all say dont leave. This is just a snarky dig at similar posts, passive agressive

How's that rude??

• ErykaEryka Banned

First of, I commented like 40 times today and second of fucking Blind Sniper proposed me to say that, say that I'm leaving.

Because its clearly just a nasty little jab. You have been chatting to your friends all day, all 250+ comments of it, so obviously they would all say dont leave. This is just a snarky dig at similar posts, passive agressive

• ErykaEryka Banned

Losing patience with this? With me? My shitposts? It's not clear

Don't be sorry. Be better. I'm not the only one losing patience with this.

• Blind Sniper politely asked you to tone it down. How did he tell you to leave?

First of, I commented like 40 times today and second of fucking Blind Sniper proposed me to say that, say that I'm leaving.

• BigBlindMaxBigBlindMax Banned
    edited May 2016

Mainly the shitposting, the huge, pointless comment chains, the inside jokes that nobody else understands, the kill yourself bullshit (thankfully that mostly stopped) That kind of thing. I think it's getting on a lot of people's nerves. I've tried to ignore it, but it's starting to become irritating.

Losing patience with this? With me? My shitposts? It's not clear

• ErykaEryka Banned

I mean, I told him that I wanted to get my account banned, so he proposed me just to not log in and just post something here to tell that I'm leaving and why

Blind Sniper politely asked you to tone it down. How did he tell you to leave?

• ErykaEryka Banned

Ok. (yeah I don't know what to say so I'm just saying ok)

Mainly the shitposting, the huge, pointless comment chains, the inside jokes that nobody else understands, the kill yourself bullshit (thank

• Oh, ok. You can always just take a break for a while.

I mean, I told him that I wanted to get my account banned, so he proposed me just to not log in and just post something here to tell that I'm leaving and why

• ErykaEryka Banned
    edited May 2016

I guess I'm just going to comment not that often

Edit: I was tired and I forgot to add a word lol

Oh, ok. You can always just take a break for a while.

• This week has been a fucking nightmare for me. So much shit going wrong right know that I'm actually considering hiding in a cave forever and just die my years out.

• edited May 2016

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder

make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better

do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster

raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited May 2016

Allow me to put it like this, @Eryka.

Since I'm a mod, I can't be as blunt as regular users can be in certain cases since I aim to be polite. However, BigBlindMax's post has a lot of excellent points.

It's not that most people dislike you personally, but rather, they don't like how you bring irrelevant and random humor into discussions. This isn't a "no fun allowed' board, but that doesn't mean that you have completely free reign to spam inside jokes all over the place, post the sarcastic "kill yourself" meme over and over again, etc - even in an off topic thread like this. We want to hold users to a certain standard, and while we definitely allow people to joke around and such, we don't want the forums to transform into a dumping ground for memes, ironic posts, etc. When a thread like this has around 250 comments of sarcastic insults about penises on one page and other sarcastic insults/inside jokes, it puts forth the image that the forums are more for joking around than they are for discussion.

On the previous page, users were making serious comments about things like personal problems that other users could have responded to, but it got blotted out by an entire page of dick jokes, shipping jokes, etc. Again, this isn't a "no fun allowed" forum, but we ask that people save jokes for when they are relevant to the conversation at hand.

When posts like those from earlier become the prevalent way of how users talk to each other on here, it makes the forums look like a living embodiment of the Penguin of Doom meme: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/katy-t3h-pengu1n-of-d00m

It pushes away other users who want to bring actual discussion, as they come on here and see the majority of conversations on an entire page dedicated to low quality posting.

When, instead of just flagging posts and banning people, I opt to do the nice thing by instead avoiding immediate punishment and going the extra mile to put our previously unwritten expectations into writing with tangible examples in this thread...

https://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/106102/rules-of-thumb-for-better-community-discussions-arguments-debates-and-general-quality-of-posting

...and have people act like we're imposing strict rules that dictate conversations, when most of it just consists of no-brainer stuff like "Don't sarcastically call people faggots/n*****s/etc" or "don't sarcastically tell users to kill themselves" or "don't have the majority of your posting history consist of memes/ironic jokes" or "when you can, post ideas in your own words instead of using memes/pictures" and people act like we are being strict and heavy handed, that honestly kind of pisses me off.

Actually, scratch that - it pisses me off that the culture around here changed enough to where I even had to write something like that in the first place. We're not asking for high class discussion where people type with their pinkies out, smoking fancy cigars and sipping imported champagne to classical music. Literally all I asked was that people have basic decency and try to be coherent, and evidently even that is asking too much. I deliberately bit my tongue and did the nice thing, taking my time to write out a post like that with tangible examples as opposed to flagging tons of posts and banning users for calling each other "faggots"/"n*****s"/etc, and even that is too strong and heavy handed.

Without naming specific users for privacy reasons, I've recently had users get huffy over punishments when I deliberately went easy on them, even when they did something that blatantly deserved worse. I'm not sure if we've gotten too lenient in letting things slide or if the problem is coming from somewhere else, but something has got to change around here.

Mainly the shitposting, the huge, pointless comment chains, the inside jokes that nobody else understands, the kill yourself bullshit (thank

• [removed]

• edited May 2016

Holy shit... this man is on the edge!

Also, not disagreeing with you but aren't we being a little harsh on Eryka? Afterall it wasn't her that started the shitpost chain, it was RockMySocks that did.

Allow me to put it like this, @Eryka. Since I'm a mod, I can't be as blunt as regular users can be in certain cases since I aim to be pol

• ErykaEryka Banned

Don't hide in that cave bro, everything's gonna be alright at some point

SaltLick305 posted: »

This week has been a fucking nightmare for me. So much shit going wrong right know that I'm actually considering hiding in a cave forever and just die my years out.

• Most of the second half of that post was towards some portion of other users who do things like that in general.

papai46 posted: »

Holy shit... this man is on the edge! Also, not disagreeing with you but aren't we being a little harsh on Eryka? Afterall it wasn't her that started the shitpost chain, it was RockMySocks that did.

• edited May 2016

Yeah I agree to a extent, eyrka chose to stick around and basically prod sniper when he was already clearly pissed off, she doesn't deserve the full rage but she was the only one lining up for a helping.

papai46 posted: »

Holy shit... this man is on the edge! Also, not disagreeing with you but aren't we being a little harsh on Eryka? Afterall it wasn't her that started the shitpost chain, it was RockMySocks that did.

• I sure hope you're right. I'm done with everything and everyone. I need days without human interaction before I do something I'll regret.

Don't hide in that cave bro, everything's gonna be alright at some point

• Maybe you already are in a cave? Platos cave cool video, amazing theory, freaky concept.

This week has been a fucking nightmare for me. So much shit going wrong right know that I'm actually considering hiding in a cave forever and just die my years out.

• DId you look at kitten videos? I'm not trying to jab or anything, kitten videos seriously make me feel better at least!

• We're not asking for high class discussion where people type with their pinkies out, smoking fancy cigars and sipping imported champagne to classical music.

But I just had my champagne imported!

Allow me to put it like this, @Eryka. Since I'm a mod, I can't be as blunt as regular users can be in certain cases since I aim to be pol

edited May 2016

But I just had my champagne imported!

Too bad! Muhahah!

We're not asking for high class discussion where people type with their pinkies out, smoking fancy cigars and sipping imported champagne to classical music. But I just had my champagne imported!

• edited May 2016

Random posts need to at least have a coolsome standard.
    I'm just disappointed.

Edited because I love you.

• Dogs playing in snow videos cheer me up.

DId you look at kitten videos? I'm not trying to jab or anything, kitten videos seriously make me feel better at least!

• edited May 2016

And then they brush off anyone who disagrees with them as jealous people with no friends. Is it so hard to make a PM? They literally could have had their cringey ass conversations in a group PM.

Johro posted: »

Random posts need to at least have a coolsome standard. I'm just disappointed. Edited because I love you.

• so i no longerhave to do nightshift at work thank god but my boss is threatening to fire me because disclosed i had aspergers to try get them to understand i cant do a million things at once and now he wants to get rid of me.

edited May 2016

I believe that type of discrimination is illegal, although I bet they will find some other reason to give, especially with at-will employment being a thing. Still, for what it's worth, it can't hurt to look into that. That being said, in the future, I would only disclose what you have and not how it will impede your work, so that they can come to their own conclusions of how to accommodate you instead of you listing potential negatives for them.

EDIT: I was reading over the solution I posted and realized that directly asking for accommodations instead might be an even better alternative so that you can still get the idea across without framing it as a negative while also leaving potential mistakes caused by their assumptions out of it.

so i no longerhave to do nightshift at work thank god but my boss is threatening to fire me because disclosed i had aspergers to try get them to understand i cant do a million things at once and now he wants to get rid of me.

• edited May 2016

That's the thing. If you can't handle multi-tasking, that could be grounds right there. Not why you can't multi-task. That's crumby news. I hope you're not fired. I have trouble getting employees whom can handle 1 task without completely losing interest(damn kids). Empathy from someone whom almost exclusively works 3-11pm shifts. Woo.

EDIT-TO-THE-EDIT: That's a workable idea. "I have this condition and I really want to work here, with you. How can we make this work?" Maybe not as straight forward as that, but something that conveys your issue, their issue and a determination to make it work. If a company lets go a dedicated employee, they are stupid.

I believe that type of discrimination is illegal, although I bet they will find some other reason to give, especially with at-will employmen

• I dunno, I think asking them to aim for the coolsome standard is aiming too high at this point.

Random posts need to at least have a coolsome standard. I'm just disappointed. Edited because I love you.

• What has become of this place where someone whom has been repeatedly banned is now a spam goal? I'm aware that this will remain rhetorical as I won't get an honest answer. Maybe it's something readers can think about at least for a second. I don't think it's asking too much to have spam, which at least, promotes community discussion. Wait a minute. Did I just spill the beans on the secret of this thread? Why is there a red dot on m....

I dunno, I think asking them to aim for the coolsome standard is aiming too high at this point.

edited May 2016

Why is there a red dot on m....

YOU KNOW TOO MUCH!

...Ahem. Er, Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

[At least he didn't spill the secret to Monkey Island...]

What has become of this place where someone whom has been repeatedly banned is now a spam goal? I'm aware that this will remain rhetorical

edited May 2016

...fake bans aside, I think it's just a result of a lack of a consistent culture between each Telltale series, now that Telltale Talk/General Chat is not the most prominent board and Telltale's games are now interactive cinema, which results in less incentive to come back as a Season ends once you discuss the story.

As a result of that, each current series ends up bringing its own culture. There are some regulars that stick around after a Season, but I imagine the dynamic has changed from that lack of consistency as well as the general trend of (what I presume are) younger users posting as well as Telltale's new mainstream status attracting a bigger variety of people to the forums.

I think that if the Telltale Talk/General Chat forum were more prominent, then more users would be inclined to stick around after a Season ends and make for a tighter sense of community as opposed to making people scroll across multiple game forums - all of which list the eight most recent threads - just to find it. It wouldn't solve all the problems, of course, but it would help attract more regulars.

EDIT: Another point - the adventure genre probably also had a hand in bringing in a specific niche of people that stuck around, whereas Telltale now casts a wider net with their new format. In retrospect, that makes sense more than the other explanations I thought of.

What has become of this place where someone whom has been repeatedly banned is now a spam goal? I'm aware that this will remain rhetorical

• edited May 2016

I dunno, I think asking them to aim for the coolsome standard is aiming too high at this point.

EDIT: The irony is that this is an even bigger inside joke as there are maybe 2 people likely to have got it before this edit pointed it out. The difference is that I'm ending it here.

• So I've recently dusted off my old Vita and started playing it again. Man, it's a shame the Vita became so niche, partially like the Dreamcast had (although not on the same scale, obviously). Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and Little Big Planet on Vita carry over really well.

• EDIT-TO-THE-EDIT: That's a workable idea. "I have this condition and I really want to work here, with you. How can we make this work?" Maybe not as straight forward as that, but something that conveys your issue, their issue and a determination to make it work. If a company lets go a dedicated employee, they are stupid.

Not to mention, it also does a good job of turning a limitation into a benefit by thinking outside of the box if you manage to get the point across about showing your dedication in spite of any shortcomings.

That's the thing. If you can't handle multi-tasking, that could be grounds right there. Not why you can't multi-task. That's crumby news.

• edited May 2016

For fuck's sake. I have to wake up early tomorrow because my dad's dragging me off to two fucking football games,even know he knows I find it boring. So tomorrow I can be bored out of my mind for four hours. Just how I wanted to spend my weekend.

• Well... Technically Paul is not dead. He does play games on Steam all day, tho.

Ok then, I won't die like @Kawaiii and @BigBadPaul you got lucky boi cuz I was about to leave but Bro convinced me to stay with what he said

• MOBZIKKMOBZIKK Banned

I admitted to liking my crush even though I basically knew she didn't feel the same way (I'm 17 almost 18, she's almost 3 years older than me, already has a crush...). I thought that'd be the end of it and I'd move on, but it's really saddening thinking about it and since we're in the same "closed" friends circle, it doesn't help. I keep having intrusive thoughts/dreams of her which make it quite hard too. We're still friends obviously, but I can't stop thinking of her as something else. How long does it take you to move on usually ?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.