The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• Did someone say Metallica?

My friend, you have chosen a great band to start listening to, they are easily one of the best bands on the planet hands down. They make awesome music, they have incredible live shows, and are extremely talented (except Lars, he sucks, but he does write almost every Metallica song with James and, without him, there would be no Metallica, so there's that). What were the five songs you've listened to so far from them, I'd be able to give you some recommendations. In terms of albums, I'd recommend either Master of Puppets or Metallica (otherwise known as The Black Album) to start off. Master is, in my opinion, the greatest heavy metal album of all time and contains some of their heaviest and best work (title track, Battery, Disposable Heroes). Metallica is their most commercially successful album, containing some of their most well known songs (Enter Sandman, Sad But True, Nothing Else Matters), it's a good album, but it angered a lot of people when they made it, along with their next few albums, because people thought they sold out.

I would definitely say Metallica has some pretty deep songs with some great themes and (sometimes) imagery in them. One (which is my favorite song) is based off an anti-war novel called Johnny Got His Gun about a man who loses his arms, legs, and his ability to see, hear, and talk, but his mind is perfectly in tact, becoming a prisoner inside his own body. Songs like Bleeding Me, Until it Sleeps, Dyers Eve, ...And Justice for All, and The Unforgiven trilogy are also some really well written songs, dealing with stuff such as death and loss, corruption in government, forgiveness, etc. And concerning the vocals, James Hetfield is a great singer, and an even better guitarist. Metallica is not a screamy band, never have been, never will.

Kenny726 posted: »

So, I've decided that every few months I'm going to check out a couple of different bands/musical artists. I consciously chose to delve into

• picture

I bumped five threads in the span of eleven minutes.

I am a disgrace to this forum.

• I wasn't sure if that carried over or not - good to know.

Green613 posted: »

It still shows up in their feed regardless. Doing it at the beginning of a post only makes it not link to their profile page.

• I have summoned the Metallica expert. May your wisdom guide me.

So far, I've listened to:

One

The Unforgiven (I, II, and III)

Fade to Black

Bleeding Me

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Thanks for the detailed response by the way! I really appreciate that you took the time to type all that up. I'll try to prioritize those two albums then. Considering you lumped some of the songs I liked together with certain others, I'm guessing those are already solid recommendations.

Did someone say Metallica? My friend, you have chosen a great band to start listening to, they are easily one of the best bands on the pl

• This is kinda random, but I figured it can't hurt to point out. Lately, I've noticed people overusing large text (through using hashtags) and it's becoming a pet peeve of mine to see it used so much. Using it in small amounts is fine, but if people keep overusing it, I'm going to start flagging posts.

It makes posts in a discussion cluttered and distracting for other users, and it makes mobile users have to scroll more. It's okay to use it in small amounts for stuff like making headers for different sections of a post, but don't over use it.

If you want to post a Twitter hashtag, type a space before your hashtag so your text does not become large, like this for example:

#WalkingDeadNewFrontier

• You public menace!

I bumped five threads in the span of eleven minutes. I am a disgrace to this forum.

• Additionally, there is an alternate version that is smaller and friendlier!

#Hashtag

Hashtag

Alternate
    -------

Alternate

This is kinda random, but I figured it can't hurt to point out. Lately, I've noticed people overusing large text (through using hashtags) an

• No problem, I could talk non-stop about Metallica if I was given the chance. But for the sake of saving you time, I'll keep it as brief as possible.

A couple of years ago, I actually made a video of my personal Top 20 Metallica songs. These are my personal favorite songs by them, but they have some other amazing songs as well that you should listen to (Note: #19 originally appears on the album Reload, but the version on their live album S&M is just too good).

In terms of albums, while the two I listed are fantastic, the rest of Metallica's catalogue is great as well. I'm even a huge fan of their 90's stuff, which a lot of people criticize for not being heavy enough, and St. Anger, which is an underrated album. But their 80's stuff is by far the best, their first 4 albums are considered metal classics, and their last album Death Magnetic was a return to that sound. The only album you should really avoid is Lulu, DO NOT listen to that album, it's terrible.

I have summoned the Metallica expert. May your wisdom guide me. So far, I've listened to: One The Unforgiven (I, II, and III) Fa

• Alright, thanks! I watched the video, and I liked what little I heard in the clips. I'll probably just listen to the songs in the video the next few days, then move onto The Black Album and Master of Puppets. Then I'll probably just listen to anything except Lulu. And I will never forget:

Metallica albums (excluding Lulu)= Awesome

Lulu= Blasphemy

Good to know!
    (?)Kenny726 will remember that

No problem, I could talk non-stop about Metallica if I was given the chance. But for the sake of saving you time, I'll keep it as brief as p

• Well technically, Lulu isn't really a Metallica album. It's a Lou Reed album featuring Metallica, but the end result just did not work together. It was a valiant effort, but combining thrash metal with the experimental rock of Lou Reed and his slow, poetic delivery was not a good mix, like at all.

Alright, thanks! I watched the video, and I liked what little I heard in the clips. I'll probably just listen to the songs in the video the

• I also just found out that TLOU S2 might have just been canceled

Whats TLOU S2? The only thing I can think of is The Last Of Us 2, and if that's cancelled I'm gonna be really upset!

No it really is not my week, heh. I also just found out that TLOU S2 might have just been canceled so that's another thing for me to be disappointing about. But yeah, I'll think about going to a doc.

• Yes, I'm talking about The Last of Us season 2, unfortunately.

Ekelund21 posted: »

I also just found out that TLOU S2 might have just been canceled Whats TLOU S2? The only thing I can think of is The Last Of Us 2, and if that's cancelled I'm gonna be really upset!

• Were did you hear it from? (and btw, why do you call it 'season'?)

Yes, I'm talking about The Last of Us season 2, unfortunately.

• Multiple articles online and some leaked interviews.

Because it would be a continuation of the original.

Ekelund21 posted: »

Were did you hear it from? (and btw, why do you call it 'season'?)

• I have so much to learn, sensei. Thank you for this lesson.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Wj6YMfe.gif[/img]

Oh no, for some reason my beautiful gif can't be put in the image box. So much tragedy... :'(

Well technically, Lulu isn't really a Metallica album. It's a Lou Reed album featuring Metallica, but the end result just did not work toget

• Test

(Sorry I've never tried using big letters before)

Additionally, there is an alternate version that is smaller and friendlier! #Hashtag Hashtag Alternate ------- Alternate

• [removed]

Additionally, there is an alternate version that is smaller and friendlier! #Hashtag Hashtag Alternate ------- Alternate

• You'll lose your head for this! Ban the most dangerous user, @579801!

In all seriousness, it's alright. You can test with the alternate version if you'd like as well, or with the hashtag version if this is the alternate.

Creeper1846 posted: »

Test (Sorry I've never tried using big letters before)

• enter image description here

I have so much to learn, sensei. Thank you for this lesson. [img]http://i.imgur.com/Wj6YMfe.gif[/img] Oh no, for some reason my beautiful gif can't be put in the image box. So much tragedy...

• I mostly get my TLOU news from Breaktrough Gaming on youtube. He made a video last week about the game maybe being cancelled, but, according to his interpretation of the material, it will probably still happen. But there might have been more leaks since then?

Multiple articles online and some leaked interviews. Because it would be a continuation of the original.

• Oh cool. How does one use the smaller lettering?

• Oh joy. More fun for me and my friends. No, wait, my friends and I? Whatever. :)

• You can get different sizes of special text through using 1-6 Hashtags in front of a new line of text you type. One Hashtag gives you big text, multiple hashtags gives you smaller text.

Here is an example of smaller special text (four hashtags)

Here is what you get with five hashtags
    AChicken posted: »

Oh cool. How does one use the smaller lettering?

• What Blind Sniper explained above is very neat!

What I used is a button called "code" which you'll find at the top of the commenting box. You use it when you want to show people how to do something.

If I were explaining you how to bold a message, I would say…

**This is a bold message.**

Oh cool. How does one use the smaller lettering?

• Hey what's up guys it's Scarce here and today I'm gonna manage to make genuinely interesting stories sound boring as fuck and uninteresting while playing Overwatch.

• Well, thank you both! Can't believe after 1.5 years here I still don't know all the comment tricks. :P

Just saying, the mods should really make a little how to thread concerning special effects on text. It could really help newbies to this site learn all these things faster and easier. nudge, nudge. wink, wink Blind...

What Blind Sniper explained above is very neat! What I used is a button called "code" which you'll find at the top of the commenting box.

• Cool story, bro.

But seriously, why?

Hey what's up guys it's Scarce here and today I'm gonna manage to make genuinely interesting stories sound boring as fuck and uninteresting while playing Overwatch.

• edited September 2016

BOI

• Just finished watching the Emmy Awards. Wow, Game of Thrones got alot of awards.

• If there's interest, sure, I suppose I could look into it.

Well, thank you both! Can't believe after 1.5 years here I still don't know all the comment tricks. :P Just saying, the mods should reall

• Why what? It was a joke on how Scarce, while a cool guy himself, makes horribly bland content.

Cool story, bro. But seriously, why?

• It's not out of control. I'm just below where I should be. That's a good point about the meals though.

Actually if you want to lose weight its advised to eat 3 meals a day having one lage meal and snacks is more likely to make you gain weight,

• Fun Fact: You can still purchase brand new official Unsolved Mysteries merchandise.

• edited September 2016

I took a quick look (Haven't played the original yet so I didn't want to come across any spoilers) and I think that might be fake, but I don't know for sure.
    If Naughty Dog"s not doing TLOU 2 then I wonder what their next game is going to be...

Multiple articles online and some leaked interviews. Because it would be a continuation of the original.

• In other news, CM Croker died. Animator and voice actor for the Cartoon Network. RIP Zorak.

• Well shit, I never liked his animation style but the dude had some serious talent either way, everything looked very smooth and stylized in the shows he worked on. Rest in peace, may his animations live on and touch the lives of millions.

Johro posted: »

In other news, CM Croker died. Animator and voice actor for the Cartoon Network. RIP Zorak.

• ...and they have a wikia site. Shit. There goes my night.

Johro posted: »

Fun Fact: You can still purchase brand new official Unsolved Mysteries merchandise.

• So to explain my absence on this forum, I've been travelling around Gippsland (western Victoria) with my dad since the school holidays started here. Yesterday we went to Walhalla, a near-ghost town that was heavily populated during the Gold Rush. Once the mines started shutting down, most people left and most of the buildings are gone. I'll post some pictures when I can access the internet from my laptop. Currently staying in Bairnsdale tonight.

• I heard there is alot of paranormal activity in those types of places in oz have you seen any ufos or heard any strange sounds

So to explain my absence on this forum, I've been travelling around Gippsland (western Victoria) with my dad since the school holidays start

Sign in to comment in this discussion.