The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• edited October 2016

Is this all staff's idea or primarily the mod's?

Mod PSA: [Reposting a particular section from another post I made for the Walking Dead New Frontier Episode 1 Waiting Thread] EDIT: To

• Mostly our ideas (minus the age 18 thing). However, it is in part coming from the fact that staff members have avoided the forums around the time of Season 2 starting because they did not like the hostility and negativity. The Telltale forums before then were more organized and civil in several ways, although to be fair as I said before, we had a mix of old mods leaving, new mods joining, a change in the Forum's demographics, and a change in forum software (which initially did not leave us with the best mod tools) all around the same time of Season 2.

We're trying to clean up some of the worse parts of the forum culture and ask for a higher standard of posting. It's not going to be crazy strict - people can still post gifs, memes, etc for fun on and off, but we're trying to focus on two main issues - first one being the negativity, and the second one being how the forums attract a minority of users who mainly make gimmicky posts, come by to start drama, post in inside jokes, etc.

Is this all staff's idea or primarily the mod's?

• ...for that matter, would you mind elaborating on what people will be mad about?

papai46 posted: »

I feel like some people will be really mad at this...

• Nathan posted this, which I take as a hint for future Telltale stuff outside of Batman or Walking Dead. It certainly seems interesting.

• I just talking about the "comment chain with inside jokes" thing that some users here love to do so much.

...for that matter, would you mind elaborating on what people will be mad about?

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2016

...oh, gotcha. We won't be super strict on it if it's limited to a moderate and normal amount of posts. We don't want instances where it's 100's and 100's of posts, like what happened here in this thread a while back. In that case, I meant the more excessive stuff that derails entire threads or just has weird and low quality posts. If it's limited to a moderate amount of comments, that is okay.

That previous instance where Eryka and other users did so is the main reason I added that particular bit in.

I will assume you also meant, in some part, the under age 18 thing, but we did not choose that - that is on Telltale.

I just talking about the "comment chain with inside jokes" thing that some users here love to do so much.

• and I fucking hate apple pie...

Wat.

I don't like sauce, I hate McD's fries, I drink diet soda, and I fucking hate apple pie... they can kiss my skinny, little ass.

• But what about Squidward's house?

lottii-lu posted: »

trust no one not even the voice in ur head

• Good. I'm glad.

lottii-lu posted: »

Yooo @Johro I just wanted to say thank you so much for the advice. It really helped me out and I'm feeling much better now.

• "Elevate posting quality"

I do agree with this, but it worries me as to this ideal is what led to other forums eventually removing threads like this and off-topic forums entirely. I've been there numerous times and it concerns me as to whether this is staff driven or mod driven. If this is being staff driven, I'm afraid that at very least, the days of this thread are numbered. We're both well aware that this forum sub-section has been fought for before and I'll add for newer members, that the mods fought for it too so don't start giving them flack about it. I'm just concerned at this point for the end game.

That said, post quality does need a kick in the ass sometimes.

A transparent heads up from the mod team of where we want to head in the future: EDIT: To clarify, this is driven by us volunteer moderat

• Or if you have 40 years of meaningful video game experience.

One day

WarpSpeed posted: »

Film usually has its own prizes and multiple actors in a picture. I imagine it's possible, though. Or if you have 40 years of meaningful video game experience.

edited October 2016

It's mod driven; don't worry, I'm not wanting to go super strict or fun police on anything. On the contrary, I'm hoping we can become more transparent in some areas, even - but more on that later once we hash out details. As you said (or implied), this is us trying to single out the users who primarily make gimmicky posts, or people who personally attack others and contribute to a hostile forum environment - including Telltale Staff members in some case. (You weren't around for Walking Dead Season 2, so just to clarify - I bring up Telltale Staff in particular because people started to shit talk about how they hated the writers personally during Season 2. Not just a few users, but concerningly enough, it was certainly a vocal portion of users, enough to drive staff away from posting on the forums. It's important to note that negative criticism of their work is still allowed - we just don't want people using the forums to be over the top and personally insult staff members, which did happen during Season 2).

I recognize that part of free speech means tolerating or hearing opinions you don't like, and I hope the other mods do too although I don't speak on their behalf; obviously, we don't have 100% free speech here with Forum Guidelines, but I hope you get the point. I'm not intending this to be a crackdown on opinions we don't like - I just want this to combat against, say, users who only sign up to make gimmicky posts, or users who call each other "gay" or "faggots" for fun, or people who attack Telltale staff members personally.

EDIT: I see where you are coming from now:

what led to other forums eventually removing threads like this and off-topic forums entirely.

It's nothing related to this thread, so don't worry - this is about the forum culture elsewhere in the actual game forums, where a vocal portion of people in the Walking Dead section are sometimes over the top with their vitriol towards Telltale. It's nothing to do with off topic threads like these, which we are not touching or changing anything about.

Telltale Talk was actually moved to the top of the forums because I requested the staff move it up top, for that matter. I wanted it to be relevant again and a more important part of the forums so more people would possibly want to stick around between episodes.

Johro posted: »

"Elevate posting quality" I do agree with this, but it worries me as to this ideal is what led to other forums eventually removing thread

• Oh my gosh, did you see that? "These lips are sealed"

The Wolf Among Us Season 2 confirmed.

https://twitter.com/kenjisalk/status/787347647677865984 Nathan posted this, which I take as a hint for future Telltale stuff outside of Batman or Walking Dead. It certainly seems interesting.

• :D
    B)
    :l
    D:
    text >:)
    The devil horn one was cryptic, also I can't find the right key to press for the one with the straight mouth.

XD is without the space. Here is what he typed for all of his smiles (ignore the spaces) : ) : D B ) : | : ( ; ) D : and here is how you get [ignore this text] >: )

• Yeah, I get it. I've been a mod a few times in my life. I was just curious where it was coming from. It's all good. As far as I'm concerned, staff are welcome here. I'm not putting up with people attacking them either.

Even as someone whom isn't really happy with Telltale currently, there is a small handful of people actually responsible for what I dislike about the company right now and it certainly isn't personal. Everyone is doing a damn job. Leave them alone about that.

It's mod driven; don't worry, I'm not wanting to go super strict or fun police on anything. On the contrary, I'm hoping we can become more t

• How dare they not show the Florida/Detroit hockey game in Canada. Don't they know that this is the game I want to see?!?!

• the real fun I had while playing Gears of war is the coop without online, people don't do it anymore, that's kinda sad.

Makes me sad the Gears of War games are not Playstation consoles. After watching the entirety of Gears 4, I so badly want to play the series

• Probably for the best. Things were pretty nuts when I first joined during Season 2 of TWD. The whole Kenny vs. Jane thing pretty much killed my interest in that sub (until very recently).

A transparent heads up from the mod team of where we want to head in the future: EDIT: To clarify, this is driven by us volunteer moderat

• I approve this message.

Mod PSA: [Reposting a particular section from another post I made for the Walking Dead New Frontier Episode 1 Waiting Thread] EDIT: To

• Replaying Dark Souls II at the moment, been a while but I still got some mad skills.

• edited October 2016

EDIT: Nvm, I found it.

• Oh, and of course, don't forget :p : p

Can't believe I didn't notice that one was missing.

XD is without the space. Here is what he typed for all of his smiles (ignore the spaces) : ) : D B ) : | : ( ; ) D : and here is how you get [ignore this text] >: )

• edited October 2016

Does not see

Edit: nvm

enter image description here

Unless its just, back at it again with the Wolf teasing ;-;

Acheive250 posted: »

Oh my gosh, did you see that? "These lips are sealed" The Wolf Among Us Season 2 confirmed.

• We also have hearts - <3

< 3

WarpSpeed posted: »

Oh, and of course, don't forget : p Can't believe I didn't notice that one was missing.

• Not even Squidward's house.

[looks behind me as if it was listening]

But what about Squidward's house?

• I think it's just a meme phrase for them and we're overthinking it.

Poogers555 posted: »

Does not see Edit: nvm Unless its just, back at it again with the Wolf teasing ;-;

• School just can't end quicker enough...

• I had forgotten how much I hated Walking Dead show Andrea.

• edited October 2016

Let's both be glad she's dead, eh?

I had forgotten how much I hated Walking Dead show Andrea.

• ^

I think it's just a meme phrase for them and we're overthinking it.

• Don't make me cry. :'( : ' (

We also have hearts - < 3

edited October 2016

Here is what I think most if not all of the smilies are:

If you are on a Computer, you can hold your cursor over the smiley to see what I typed to get it to display.

:) :D B) :| :( ;) D: :o
    :/ :'( <3 >:) :3 =) :angry: :bawling:
    :rage: :grinning: :joy: :innocent: :fearful: :sweat: :sleepy: :relaxed:
    :yum: :smirk: :relieved: :expressionless: :tired_face: :confounded: :kiss: :sleeping:
    :flushed: :triumph: :scream: :anguished: :mask: :dizzy_face: :astonished: :kissing_heart:
    :unamused: :persevere: :kissing_smiling_eyes: :disappointed_relieved: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :no_mouth: :kissing_closed_eyes: :weary:
    :broken_heart: :p :sweat_smile: :heart_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :pensive: :star:

• I love apples. I love them a lot. I eat at least one a day. I hate hot apples because of the texture - it makes me gag, and apple pie usually is full of hot, soft apples. I have problems with certain textures; they make me physically ill.

and I fucking hate apple pie... Wat.

• Should've tagged it as a spoiler

• edited October 2016

I just finished playing The Walking Dead Season 2 for my canon playthrough. I am now officially ready for Season 3.

• I'm playing S1 again and skipping two again. I am now officially ready for Season 3.

I just finished playing The Walking Dead Season 2 for my canon playthrough. I am now officially ready for Season 3.

• :triumph: This emoji has to be my favorite, tbh.

Here is what I think most if not all of the smilies are: If you are on a Computer, you can hold your cursor over the smiley to see what I typed to get it to display.

• I'm still up to Episode 4 of S2. Once I finish it, then I'll be ready for Season 3.

• edited October 2016

Now I'm gonna be replaying Game of Thrones to be ready for a season 2, then I'll be playing Wolf Among Us, then Tales from the Borderlands, and then I'm gonna take a break from Telltale and play The Last of Us and Uncharted 1-3. Then I'm gonna get back to Telltale to play some more of their games, like the Sam and Max trilogy, Back to the Future, Tales of Monkey Island and Minecraft: Story Mode.

Acheive250 posted: »

I'm still up to Episode 4 of S2. Once I finish it, then I'll be ready for Season 3.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.