Why did Oswald pick the name "Penguin"?

In all of the other Batman versions Oswald chooses the name penguin because of his appearance, mostly because of his bird-like nose, other versions also make him short and fat (so he looks even more like a penguin), and the fact that he always dresses with a tuxedo. Not to mention his obsession to birds in some versions.

But this Oswald has nothing related to the penguins to choose that nickname, neither did he suffered because of his appearance, I know his mask in Ep 2 was the mask of a penguin but why did he choose that?

His nose is a bit like the other versions of penguin, but not remotely exaggerated, so I don't really see a reason to call himself penguin.
enter image description here

Comments

• As Bruce and Oz went to Arkham's Zoo, Oz broke away from the Waynes to go on his little adventure, and a older gentleman bumped into him, knocking him into a tiger pen. As the tiger drew close, little Oz, so fearful, was about to meet his darkest fate, when a random Penguin set out and saved Oz. Ever since then Oswald Cobblepot loved Penguins. When planning his revolution, he decided to name himself after the very thing that saved him long ago- The Penguin.

(Okay, sorry, I honestly have no fucking idea.)

• Main headcanon now.

RhysAndLee posted: »

As Bruce and Oz went to Arkham's Zoo, Oz broke away from the Waynes to go on his little adventure, and a older gentleman bumped into him, kn

• I was just thinking favorite animal or something. He thought it sounded cool when he was a teenager and didn't have a better name when he had to come up with an alias.

As Bruce and Oz went to Arkham's Zoo, Oz broke away from the Waynes to go on his little adventure, and a older gentleman bumped into him, kn

• He picked out a Penguin mask at random and the name just stuck?

• Oswald: -crossing the street-
    car nearly runs him over.
    Drunk Driver: "Watch where you're going you stupid... stupid... Penguin."
    And from that day on, Oswald was known as Penguin.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited November 2016

It's just an alias that stuck. His episode 2 appearance pretty much symbolizes why he's called that; he most likely wore that same mask and suit when he was living in the UK, making him look reminiscent of a penguin-- bird mask, black tuxedo, gray tie, white shirt. Most likely, it's the name the cops/media gave him, which he started to use himself.

• He loves "The Penguins of Madagascar". Wants to be one of them.

• edited November 2016

Idk telltale just needed a penguin, But used a different model.

• Great, now I can't get that outta my head XD

• edited November 2016

Oh my god, someone FINALLY asked this question. It has been bothering me from the start. I mean, why call yourself a penguin which is a clumsy and a funny bird? Why not choose something epic like "Eagle" or "Hawk"?

• I don't know man, penguins can be pretty damn terrifying:

Oh my god, someone FINALLY asked this question. It has been bothering me from the start. I mean, why call yourself a penguin which is a clumsy and a funny bird? Why not choose something epic like "Eagle" or "Hawk"?

• You're right, there is nothing penguin like in him to pick that name. Even in Gotham TV series there was at least his way of walking that gave him that nickname.

• edited November 2016

Until we get a conformation on why he calls himself Penguin...
    why not just post ridiculous theories on here for the hell of it?

• Poor balance. ;)

Until we get a conformation on why he calls himself Penguin... why not just post ridiculous theories on here for the hell of it?

• Penguin is his middle name. He's barely trying with this whole alias thing. Didn't even change the voice and we know Vicki has access to that technology.

• So basically like an old email address?

Sarah1281 posted: »

I was just thinking favorite animal or something. He thought it sounded cool when he was a teenager and didn't have a better name when he had to come up with an alias.

• Its his spirit animal

• Maybe I should post this in the 'Details' thread if it's not there already, but this question prompted me to looked up the word origin. While not certain, the best theory seems to be that it comes from Welsh pen gwyn, meaning white head.

And hey, what was the color of his mask? Wowie.

• edited November 2016

It might be explained in the finale. I think that it will show a backstory to him and Lady Arkham. He mostly goes by Oswald or Cobblepot in the series. The mask could have been random, I think I know how he will be known as Penguin from now on. In episode 4 if you choose to go to Enterprises as I did, you fight Oswald. Batman winds up breaking both of his knees for nearly killing a kid with a drone earlier. This would permanently leave Oswald with a limp and a cane along with an eternal hatred for Batman. That limp would give him a penguin like appearance when he walked. If you think about it, it makes sense. I didn't choose Manor, yet people that did tell me that Harvey gets half of his face burned and then he calls himself Two Face.

• That made my day lol. Smile and wave.

Omid's cat posted: »

He loves "The Penguins of Madagascar". Wants to be one of them.

• Can't argue with that.

Kenny726 posted: »

I don't know man, penguins can be pretty damn terrifying:

Sign in to comment in this discussion.