Dvd drm?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    They should include a code wheel for people who don't want online or disc-based activation.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Just so you know that we haven't forgotten about you, the DVD is currently being approved by the powers that be. Once I have their approval on everything (which knowing the standard approval process can take a week or two sadly), I'll be able to let you guys know what's up.

I'd just hate to tell you something and then have Lucas or someone come back and say it all has to be changed.
  • edited March 2010
    Lucas... ha!

DRM:SE :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2010
    Is there any way the free shipping window could be slightly extended to cover this? Or can we simply place our orders now and then cancel them later if the answer here is not the one we want?
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, you can cancel orders by emailing support@telltalegames.com. So long as it gets cancelled before it actually ships.
  • edited March 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Yeah, you can cancel orders by emailing support@telltalegames.com. So long as it gets cancelled before it actually ships.
    Just to be clear: We ARE getting an answer before this ships, right?
    edited March 2010
    Oh yeah, totally. We will have the answer before we ship it off to manufacture, and then it takes a little while for the disk to actually get produced.
  • edited March 2010
    I just placed my order, and I notice that I could now potentially download all of the episodes (in their online forms), is it still possible to cancel prior to the ship date or does this count as me having "received" my merchandise already?

I guess this would have been a good question to ask before I ordered.

Oh well, I'm hoping Telltale comes through on the DRM issue and this whole line of questioning is unnecessary.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, at this point the best you could hope for is to get a refund for the cost of shipping (and if you ordered it, the extra $15 for the deluxe package). The stance on the DVD isn't so much that you're buying the DVD and receiving the online versions of the game as that you're buying the downloadable game and receiving a free DVD of it for the cost of shipping.

Of course, it's possible that they'll have records showing that you haven't activated the game yet and it could therefore be taken off your account, but now I'm just speculating.
  • edited March 2010
    I suppose they return $15,- then if you got the deluxe. Or the shipping costs if you got regular+shipping.

Edit: Beat by a minute...
  • edited March 2010
    Mwahahahahahaha!
  • edited March 2010
    Telltale has, in the past, been far better about digital returns than any other company I've known. My guess is they would issue a refund, especially if you don't activate your digital copies.
  • edited March 2010
    Tero wrote: »
    I just placed my order and I notice that I could now potentially download all of the episodes (in their online forms), is it still possible to cancel prior to the ship date or does this count as me having "received" my merchandise already?
    you're buying the downloadable game and receiving a free DVD of it for the cost of shipping.

Of course, it's possible that they'll have records showing that you haven't activated the game yet and it could therefore be taken off your account, but now I'm just speculating.

I would tend to agree with Guru. If you haven't unlocked anything yet, then I would bet money that TTG could tell, and be able to refund you for more than just DVD shipping.
  • edited March 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    If you haven't unlocked anything yet, then I would bet money that TTG could tell, and be able to refund you for more than just DVD shipping.
    Bosco!
  • edited April 2010
    Is there any news regarding the type of DRM?
    edited April 2010
    Not yet. Still awaiting the official approval. Even though I'm technically on vacation. WE SHALL NEVER REST UNTIL IT IS DONE
  • edited April 2010
    Not yet. Still awaiting the official approval. Even though I'm technically on vacation. WE SHALL NEVER REST UNTIL IT IS DONE

well you can have a 5 miniuet one if you want we don't mind
  • edited April 2010
    Is there really a chance that Telltale will make the call to use online activation DRM? Or, does LucasArts REALLY have full control over what the collector's DVD will be?
  • edited April 2010
    Or, does LucasArts REALLY have full control over what the collector's DVD will be?
    Would they dare? Their adventure games never had copy protections. Some manual or codewheel queries is pretty much all there was. And they weren't even on the CD versions.
    But then again, it's not the LucasArts which actually made all those fantastic adventure games back then anymore.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm telling you guys, they need to actually give out code wheels with the DVD. That would be so awesome.

Or a feast of the senses map-style copy protection. That way it has to do with the game. That would be sweet.
  • edited April 2010
    Anything yet?
  • edited April 2010
    *looks at iPod Touch for time*
    edited April 2010
    Oh hai.

OFFICIAL PROCLAMATION: NO WEB BASED DRM ON THE DVD

You may begin your rejoicing. Sorry it took so long for you to rejoice.
  • edited April 2010
    Let us celebrate in the streets everybody!

Let us all chant our victory cries:

THE DVD IS NOT A COASTER!
  • edited April 2010
    Oh hai.

Yay!
    *take out a bottle of Champomy*
    Let's drink to this, guys!
  • edited April 2010
    Oh hai.

rejoice.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    Oh hai.

*tear*

Tears of joy... Tears of joy...
  • edited April 2010
    :guybrush::guybrush::guybrush:
    :winslow: :winslow: :winslow: :winslow: :winslow:

Thanks for the info! As you can see, I'm now celebrating. :D
  • edited April 2010

*Rejoices and gives Will a totally creepy man-hug.*
    :guybrush:
  • edited April 2010
    Pardon me if I seem to be the guy taking the crap in the punch bowl by asking this question, but: What kind of DRM will it have then, Will?
  • edited April 2010
    Pardon me if I seem to be the guy taking the crap in the punch bowl by asking this question, but: What kind of DRM will it have then, Will?
    Seems like the obvious answer is that it will be a disk check, like every other Telltale game on disk that isn't Wallace and Gromit.
  • edited April 2010
    Do the dance.
  • edited April 2010
    Good good.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010

Phone based. You have to call bonnie and enter a 64 digit code every time you start a game.
    No, that's a lie. I just wanted to confirm that your question is valid because "no web based DRM" does not necessarily imply "disc based DRM". It is most likely though.
  • edited April 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Phone based. You have to call bonnie and enter a 64 digit code every time you start a game.
    No, that's a lie. I just wanted to confirm that your question is valid because "no web based DRM" does not necessarily imply "disc based DRM". It is most likely though.

they should have DNA based DRM
  • edited April 2010
    Thumbprint scanner.
  • edited April 2010
    they should have DNA based DRM

How do they get the sample?
  • edited April 2010
    My guess would be through various options:

-have wax tested from a cotton swab to the ear canal;
    -for men they could pull facial hair out or for women they could use skin cells from a recently worn bra;
    -you could be thrown from a duck-shaped cliff and have a sample taken from the rocks below;
    -you could have it squashed out of you by a large animated stone statue;
    -or you could have your hand cut off.
  • edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    How do they get the sample?

Quagmire.gif
  • edited April 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    My guess would be through various options:

-have wax tested from a cotton swab to the ear canal;
    -for men they could pull facial hair out or for women they could use skin cells from a recently worn bra;
    -you could be thrown from a duck-shaped cliff and have a sample taken from the rocks below;
    -you could have it squashed out of you by a large animated stone statue;
    -or you could have your hand cut off.

Don't get me wrong, this answer is awesome, but... Does ear wax really carry DNA?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.