The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• I'm sooo UPSET.

• edited October 2017

There is no single good video game movie that lived up to the expectations.

I'd argue, Mortal Kombat.
    At the time, there was only a loose canon(funny, using that phrase in another manner) and it was intended to be PG-13 from the beginning. Given those restraints, I think they did very well. Sure, it's nowhere near a masterpiece, but at the time, fans were pleased.

I will say, that beyond that, I'm scrambling to think of one.

• Mortal Kombat? Last time I remember, I never encountered any violence in that movie which is how the game franchise was born as. Why would you call that movie "Mortal Kombat", if it's not mortal?

Some video game movies are just ok but that doesn't mean they're not part of "Video Game Movies SUCK" list.

Johro posted: »

There is no single good video game movie that lived up to the expectations. I'd argue, Mortal Kombat. At the time, there was only a

• edited October 2017

Kano died. Scorpion died. Subzero died. Tsung died...

I think you mean gore. There was no gore.

It was one of the first adaptations and it proved they could be commercially viable as movies. While this doesn't mean it doesn't suck to you, it was an important film in that regard.

• Well duh, dying people don't look violent to me.

(Spoiler) I think you mean gore. There was no gore. It was one of the first adaptations and it proved they could be commercially viable as movies. While this doesn't mean it doesn't suck to you, it was an important film in that regard.

• Violence ≠ Gore
    Not to me anyway and that is one of my problems with modern horror. Right under jump scares and shakey cam.

• Meh, he's a fantastic actor but he doesn't fit the James Sunderland character. James is very bland and uninteresting on the exterior and doesn't externalize his emotions all too often. He's very strange most of the game almost to the point of surrealism. Fassbender would not fit that role very well as he's a very expressive and emotional actor. I'd say bring in Guy Cihi himself in for it as not only does he look a lot like James but he's already VOICED James before. Just give him some makeup and a wig and he'd be a perfect James.

Am I the only one who thinks Michael Fassbender could play a awesome James Sunderland in a Silent Hill movie?

• Some video game movies are just ok but that doesn't mean they're not part of "Video Game Movies SUCK" list.

AronDracula posted: »

Mortal Kombat? Last time I remember, I never encountered any violence in that movie which is how the game franchise was born as. Why would y

• edited October 2017

Why are you upset?

• Maybe the local grocery store stopped carrying Butter Pecan Haagen Dazs. It was a sad day here, I know.

• What? None of those movies got anything right. Well, except for Doom movie, which had the First Person Shooter moment.

Some video game movies are just ok but that doesn't mean they're not part of "Video Game Movies SUCK" list.

• Those guys just chose the most selfish choice of Life is Strange. I still don't understand why people love Chloe.

strwar3 posted: »

Why are you upset?

• So you're saying a film absolutely has to do everything by the book like the game it's based on, just like that shitty poorly shot scene you linked, for it to be a good video game movie?

What? None of those movies got anything right. Well, except for Doom movie, which had the First Person Shooter moment.

• It's been uploaded.

Sounds interesting. Can't wait to read it.

• To be fair, some games have more than enough material to carry a movie. Franchises like Silent Hill and Resident Evil actually have way too much lore(especially Resident Evil). It's really baffling why neither adaptations felt that the game story could carry a movie without drastically changing it. Yes, some video game story is a bit too cheesy for modern audiences, but like I said, they have too much lore. You can pick and choose.

• Having watched the original Silent Hill movie, I think it's better to just leave the series alone.

He really could but a movie based on a video game was always a terrible idea. There is no single good video game movie that lived up to the

• At least we can all band together over our hatred of that adaptation.

On the surface, it's one of the closest adaptations.... but they changed a couple tiny things like character motivation, the protagonist, the antagonist and the essence of Silent Hill itself... but hey, it looks like the game though, so people will love it!

Having watched the original Silent Hill movie, I think it's better to just leave the series alone.

• And let's not forget Pyramid Head!

At least we can all band together over our hatred of that adaptation. On the surface, it's one of the closest adaptations.... but they ch

• And let's not forget Pyramid Head!

I don't think the games even got it right.

Wasn't he supposed to be a figment of James' guilt?

Both in the movie and subsequent games, he's just wandering around everywhere.

And let's not forget Pyramid Head!

• At least we can all band together over our hatred of that adaptation.

i really love the first silent hill film tbh. i think for a video game movie it's fantastic and it's as faithful as it can be to the original considering the producers kepts butting their heads into the writing process and screwing christoph gans over. revelations is one of the worst films i've ever seen, but i think the first movie is quite good.

At least we can all band together over our hatred of that adaptation. On the surface, it's one of the closest adaptations.... but they ch

• Hella

I'm sooo UPSET.

• I hate you

Melton23 posted: »

Hella

• They're just making them NOT feel like they're based on video games.

So you're saying a film absolutely has to do everything by the book like the game it's based on, just like that shitty poorly shot scene you linked, for it to be a good video game movie?

• I hella love u too <3 hella hella

I hate you

• hella

I hate you

• It would definitely have to be a reboot of sorts, forgetting the previous films made before it. Would it be possible with all the changes made to the lore? Maybe, maybe not. To be a more stripped down film in budget, it was just a thought. I was just thinking about how much range Fassbender has when he works on the more psychological dramas, the movie Shame was a great example. It has similar themes to what could do the adaption justice. This is just me though, its very unlikely to happen.

And let's not forget Pyramid Head! I don't think the games even got it right. (Spoiler) Both in the movie and subsequent games, he's just wandering around everywhere.

• His performances in Shame and the Prometheus movies are what made me think of the idea of considering him.

Meh, he's a fantastic actor but he doesn't fit the James Sunderland character. James is very bland and uninteresting on the exterior and doe

• Compared to how the forum used to be, the forum was already on life support even before the update.

Nowadays we have the same 2-4 people for each sections of the forum who post nonstop, practically talking to themselves because of how dead it is. (No disrespect to those people)

I remember a couple years back you could refresh the page after 5 minutes and get 10 more comments, and that was a slow day.

ClemyClooAndBabyboo said: they're not going to change it back. If they don't change it the forum will go to life support though.

• Have you played/watched Before the Storm?

It made me really like Chloe.

Those guys just chose the most selfish choice of Life is Strange. I still don't understand why people love Chloe.

• Only the first episode. I've seen only the first 30 minutes of episode 2 but now I should focus on school cause I'll have an exam next week.

MarijaaNo7 posted: »

Have you played/watched Before the Storm? It made me really like Chloe.

Compared to how the forum used to be, the forum was already on life support even before the update. Nowadays we have the same 2-4 people

• If they don't change it the forum will go to life support though.

The forums had a similar effect after the Fall 2013 update that introduced threaded comments. That generally tends to happen for a short while.

The forums only ever really "exploded" around Walking Dead Season 1/2, but otherwise had a more moderate audience for non-Walking Dead games. (Compare Walking Dead forum's ~33,400 threads to Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones, Tales from the Borderlands, General Chat, etc.)

Because some people didn't like the changes in gameplay/quality from Season 1 to Season 2/A New Frontier, going onward to Season 4 (and because some people moved on from Telltale or lost interest in the repetition of the format), I honestly don't suspect that we will get back to Walking Dead Season 1-2 levels of peak activity unless Telltale makes another Season 1 level smash hit, but I'm fine with that.

The forum update will certainly cause a smaller dip of activity as people respond to it in the short term, but it won't have been the only or primary cause.

Telltale makes point and click interactive cinema - it's not a super large niche, and I'm surprised (in a grateful way) that Walking Dead made Telltale blow up into mainstream recognition as much as it had.

ClemyClooAndBabyboo said: they're not going to change it back. If they don't change it the forum will go to life support though.

• I was reading old comments of mine on threads from a while ago and in one I said I used to really like Russian guys. So now I have a crush on a russian bisexual transvestite hooker named Yeketrina Petrovna Zamolodchikova (but a lot of people just call her Katya).

• Alrighty.

It's a pretty long episode and Chloe has a decent amount of jokes and moments with other characters (e.g. ''Nathan'' situation, not spoiling anything). I think it should make you at least realize why so many people like her.

Only the first episode. I've seen only the first 30 minutes of episode 2 but now I should focus on school cause I'll have an exam next week.

• nostalgia critic is really unfunny and bad lol

• I was asking about Chloe in the original game, not the prequel one cause it came out after the main game.

Alrighty. It's a pretty long episode and Chloe has a decent amount of jokes and moments with other characters (e.g. ''Nathan'' situation, not spoiling anything). I think it should make you at least realize why so many people like her.

• I have played the first episode (still haven't gotten around to Ep. 2 yet, still need to prepare for something like that), and I can tell you, I hate Chloe just as much, if not more, than I did in the previous game. Made me also despise Rachel too, while my opinion on her in the first game was...less than favorable to put it mildly.

Have you played/watched Before the Storm? It made me really like Chloe.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.