The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• There were 2 kids in my class during primary school who were aunt and nephew.

There was a kid in my class when I was around 8-9 and he was an uncle, which I thought was so weird at the time. You don't have to be old to be an uncle.

• Eh, I became uncle when I was 16 :D

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

Found out I’m going to be an Uncle soon. I feel kinda old now, honestly.

• edited November 2017

If you know one thing about me, it's that I love being the devil's advocate.

I think the micro-transaction hate has gone a little too far. Pay-to-win is one thing, but people are crucifying developers/publishers just for the existence of micro-transactions. There's hate on games whose transactions are purely cosmetic. There's hate on games whose transactions are variety(maybe a different weapon or mount or anything which doesn't provide an advantage).

So people want their GTAs, they want games that now cost 10 times what they used to to create, but don't want DLC, they don't want MTs, they don't want to pay more. Something has to give. If you want high quality expensive games, you have to pay for them somehow. No, that $10 price increase from the last few years, won't cut it.

If you want publishers to go back to the old ways of complete games at launch, you're probably looking at $100 as a standard edition and up from there. Either that or use Nintendo's price gouge method(where everything but new releases is ridiculously overpriced).

Edit: I'm not denying that MTs are on the profit side of the Profit-Necessity scale though. Something did have to happen and when those flood gates opened, a lot of money came through. They're here now and, like DLC, they're not going anywhere. We just need to keep companies honest about them. Keep them to needless extras and MMO leveling.

• I only have problem with MTs when a fully priced game doesn't feel complete without paid DLC, they result in pay-to-win, or in unbearable grind if you refuse to buy them. Aside from those potential issues, I have zero problems with MTs, and if I really enjoy the game I might even consider supporting the developers by dropping a bit of money after launch. In fact, I just did yesterday by buying Horizon Zero Dawn's DLC expansion ;)

Johro posted: »

If you know one thing about me, it's that I love being the devil's advocate. I think the micro-transaction hate has gone a little too far

• are you really surprised? big time game publishers don't care about their fans. they want money.

AronDracula posted: »

This is great, just FUCKING great. I trusted you Rockstar.

• You folks are aware that GTAV had them already, right?

• Rian Johnson, the director of The Last Jedi, will be starting up an entire new trilogy of Star Wars movies unrelated to the main saga! Apparently Disney was so happy with what he did on TLJ that they just decided to hand him the reigns to a new trilogy.

• Fuck

• Had a dream where I was trying to cut off someone leg with an axe. Uhh... It didn't go so well.

• Axe murderers deserve a lot of credit. You have to keep the thing extremely sharp. While whacking a tree with a wedge will cut through it, it is far less effective on rubbery tissue.

lupinb0y posted: »

Had a dream where I was trying to cut off someone leg with an axe. Uhh... It didn't go so well.

• reported for copyright infringement.

Had a dream where I was trying to cut off someone leg with an axe. Uhh... It didn't go so well.

• I AGREE.
    ...I put that in Caps to show emphasis on that agreement. Maybe bold would be better. "I Agree". Good.

To get to my point: Being Devil's advocate is fine. It's always good to see both sides of the argument.
    On a normal basis, I don't mind micro transactions or loot boxes. I only mind them if they affect the game in a serious way. Either by giving you something powerful to use against other people in a competitive setting, or locking some things off to a slot machine.
    Micro-transactions: If they don't give you an advantage over other people who can't or won't buy it, then it's fine.
    Loot boxes: If they only give out cosmetic things, or other doodads that are there for show, it's also fine. It's only a problem for me if they do give special stat-changing items or boosts. Now that can be unfair, given it's all based on chance. Bonus points if it's the main source of progression in the game. If you have to use them to get better, I don't like it.
    -- [In Single Player games] Again, it's fine if you need a boost in currency or if you want to roll for cool items. That's your decision, and it doesn't affect anyone else. But having it be a big progression source? Nope. I don't like that. Reports have shown that Shadow of War is fine without them, so I'll give it a pass (purely based on word-of-mouth.. I have not yet picked that one up to verify). If it doesn't change the experience or progression of the game, it is fine.

If you know one thing about me, it's that I love being the devil's advocate. I think the micro-transaction hate has gone a little too far

• edited November 2017

I hate needing to sleep so much when sick. Feels like I'm wasting my days. Oh well, off to waste more time.
    Banderas Love Doll

• I can't believe we're just 6 days away from a freakin' JUSTICE LEAGUE MOVIE! Anyone else watching it opening night? :wink:

• i still can't get over how weird that poster looks. it looks like it's trying to be alex ross but the composition is just all wrong.

Tolispro posted: »

I can't believe we're just 6 days away from a freakin' JUSTICE LEAGUE MOVIE! Anyone else watching it opening night?

• Just saw Thor: Ragnarok. While I definitely enjoyed it, there's a part of me that's more ambivalent. I really wish Marvel would improve in the villain department, as I really liked Hela and wish some more could have been done with her.

Still though, very funny, very colorful, much wow, Jeff Goldblum. Great experience.

• Noooooo! I didn't know that the custom avatar options doesn't work anymore. I tried to change it to something funny, but now I can't even use the other one. :neutral: Well, at least I was still able to use my original avatar....

• It still exists; it's at the bottom of the drop down list on the Avatar selection menu. Look for the "Custom Avatar" category.

Noooooo! I didn't know that the custom avatar options doesn't work anymore. I tried to change it to something funny, but now I can't even use the other one. Well, at least I was still able to use my original avatar....

• Thanks. Just as you sent this I found that I can change it back. :smile: I'm now going to see if I can still use the new avatar.

It still exists; it's at the bottom of the drop down list on the Avatar selection menu. Look for the "Custom Avatar" category.

• Man. I thought there'd be some panic over the news that TTG laid off a fourth of their employees... but I must have missed it. Can I, belatedly, join the panic room? Someone point me to where that is?

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

This is the thread where people can discuss the layoffs.

ShampaFK posted: »

Man. I thought there'd be some panic over the news that TTG laid off a fourth of their employees... but I must have missed it. Can I, belatedly, join the panic room? Someone point me to where that is?

• I'm gonna say something really uninteresting.

• Trying to keep up exercising on my vacation. As my job gets less and less physical(in management now), I find myself wanting to exercise more.
    I'm not overweight, just self-conscious I guess. Missing the abs I used to have. :P

• If you are interested in the post-apocalyptic genre, and have sweet memories of playing online games like "Club Penguin" or "Toontown", you might like this. But just to warn you, it's content is not as kid-friendly as the games were.

• Thanks for my new favourite series

If you are interested in the post-apocalyptic genre, and have sweet memories of playing online games like "Club Penguin" or "Toontown", you might like this. But just to warn you, it's content is not as kid-friendly as the games were.

• edited November 2017

Just finished season one of Mr. Robot.

It was bloody AMAZING!
    The acting, the story, the characters, the plot, the music. It was all fantastic.
    Rami Malek is an amazing actor, he made it all so believable. He truly played his character perfectly.

Seriously, this is the best TV series I've ever seen (Haven't actually seen many TV series, though). I am super excited to start season two.

I would recommend this show to anyone who likes a good, emotional, but very dark story.

• edited November 2017

Man, the middle schooler's in Melbourne sure are a bunch of assholes. Threw a bottle next to me, played loud music at max and jumping around and yelling like monkeys in the tram.

• Cool Ranch Doritos anybody?

• edited November 2017

EA made Reddit history today by having the most downvoted comment of all time on Reddit with over 250K downvotes.

On the Battlefront subreddit, people are in outrage with the stupid ass shit that EA is doing with Battlefront 2. Someone on there made a thread titled "Seriously? I paid $80 to have Vader locked?"

Also it takes 40 hours of grinding to unlock ONE character. I'm not joking.

And an EA representative on the account EACommunityTeam replied with, "The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes."

This also isn't the case of everyone piling their complaints on "the poor PR guy". The dude that controls the account ranted on Twitter about the complaints and called the people criticising EA "armchair developers."

10 OUTTA FUCKING 10.

Fuck you EA.

• I'm so glad that I don't play multiplayer games. Fuckin' $80 to get one frickin character that was free in previous game...

EA made Reddit history today by having the most downvoted comment of all time on Reddit with over 250K downvotes. On the Battlefront subr

• It's not just Vader that you have to grind for 40 hours to get. It's EACH hero/villain that requires 40 hours of grinding.

bruzdaa posted: »

I'm so glad that I don't play multiplayer games. Fuckin' $80 to get one frickin character that was free in previous game...

• No wonder why EA is getting so much hate. And those fuckin' microtransactions are probably the worst... What the hell happened to Gaming industry? Fucking vultures.

It's not just Vader that you have to grind for 40 hours to get. It's EACH hero/villain that requires 40 hours of grinding.

• edited November 2017

According to the same spreadsheet, it would be 40 for Vader and Luke, 30 for Palpatine, Leia, and Chewbacca, 20 for Iden.

I think unlocking abilities instead of characters would have been a better approach. While, this isn't "okay" to me, it also isn't outrageous. People just like hating EA. They are just doing the same shit everyone else is now. They were just first.

An MMO I'm familiar with, ESO, takes about 100hrs before your character stops being basically useless to a faction. Just 1 character. If you want to make another one, add another 100hrs... Unless you want to pay. Considering that no one was ripping Bethesda for that, it's probably common.

It's not just Vader that you have to grind for 40 hours to get. It's EACH hero/villain that requires 40 hours of grinding.

• edited November 2017

I want to separate this thought from EA and Battlefront.

The reason people really lose their shit over this stuff is frustration.
    The frustration that the success of a game is not determined by these factors. When a bad game comes out, people speak with their pocketbooks. If games weren't making more money with micro-transactions(that's really what this comes down to) than without, we wouldn't have them. So the people whom accept it are shelling out more money than the folks whom decide not to buy it are keeping.

Mass Effect Andromeda proved that a big title, from a big studio, with a ton of fans, can still fail. This isn't a case of the machine just being too big. It just comes down to how good the game actually is. Too many people just don't care about micro-transactions.

Here's the real question: Would there be all this hate if there wasn't a choice to grinding?

(Back to EA)
    If a developer just came out and said it will take 20hrs to unlock a second character, would everyone still be so up in arms?
    Just how many of those downvoting fans are still going to buy the game? My guess is a lot. So the wheel keeps turning...
    If you say that these practices are unacceptable, then you have to stick to your guns and not buy the game. You can't Shadow of War it. Say it's terrible, buy the game, then confirm it's terrible. You already gave them your money.

• If a developer just came out and said it will take 20hrs to unlock a second character, would everyone still be so up in arms?

Yes because these characters should've been usable right from the start like the original game rather than being locked. Especially considering Not everyone has the time to spend 20 hours just to unlock ONE character.

I want to separate this thought from EA and Battlefront. The reason people really lose their shit over this stuff is frustration. The fr

• True. They've still focused this game on multiplayer though and I think that's fairly common in that realm(the expectation of 100+hrs gameplay). At least there's going to be some single player this time around. As I mentioned, I don't like that the characters are locked either. There's other aspects that they could have locked, but let people play as whomever.

If a developer just came out and said it will take 20hrs to unlock a second character, would everyone still be so up in arms? Yes be

• edited November 2017

Yeah at least there's singleplayer but even then it's not that long. It's supposedly 5-7 which isn't too bad for a multiplayer focused game.

But man, $90 (that's how much it is where I live) is not worth it at all. I'll just wait for the price to go down whenever that happens or watch a playthrough of it.

EDIT
    Nevermind it's 4 hours and the campaign is apparantly just "fine". Welp.

True. They've still focused this game on multiplayer though and I think that's fairly common in that realm(the expectation of 100+hrs gamep

• Yeah. Might want to wait that one out. Pretty sure I read that at least one of the DLCs will be single player content. So maybe it'll total around 7hrs?

I also just read that EA reduced the cost of the characters by 75%. So now they'll be available in 5-10hrs of gameplay.

• Yup it's confirmed that the first DLC season of the game will include new chapters for the campaign which is a nice thing to have.

So now the points system is just about how they set it up for the people who got review copies of the game. Well... It's better than 40 hours at least, and the Reddit AMA will be interesting to say the least.

Yeah. Might want to wait that one out. Pretty sure I read that at least one of the DLCs will be single player content. So maybe it'll tot

• edited November 2017

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Sign in to comment in this discussion.