From The Gallows or Ties That Bind 2? Which was better/worse and why?

edited August 2018 in The Walking Dead

Which was worse? I used to like both of them but the more time passes the more I realize how lacking they were in many departments.

So, what do y’all think?

Tagged:

Comments

• i think that ties that bind 2 was worse since atleast from the gallows had the multiple endings going for it.

• From The Gallows obviously. I`ve never seen so many mistakes, glitches even in Ubisoft or EA games. And the writing is just awful, you really feel that they just gave that episode to a writer who have not worked on the majority of the game.

• i still like them both, just wish they were longer thats all

• From The Gallows. Ties That Bind - Part 2 at least had some of the funniest lines in the game.

• Ties that bind 2, purely for it being the episode where I lost all faith in Telltale.

• I liked from the gallows besides the unfinished story

• I like them both a lot, honestly. Ties that Bind had the toughest choice I've ever made in a Telltale game (Conrad vs. Clem) but the Kenny flashback in ep 4 had me bawling like a baby and the betrayal scene had my jaw to the floor.
    Actually they're probably my favorite episodes of the season, both have their issues obviously but I say I prefer episode two just a bit more

• Kenny flashback was in ep. 4 and has nothing to do with From The Gallows

Cdognkal2 posted: »

I like them both a lot, honestly. Ties that Bind had the toughest choice I've ever made in a Telltale game (Conrad vs. Clem) but the Kenny f

• I would say From the Gallows was better, although it was absolute garbage apart from a few scenes and the endings, Ties That Bind Part 2 was just lacking everything a TWD game needs.

• Ties That Bind Part 2. I liked most of From The Gallows.

• That writer is still working at Telltale and is currently working on season 4...

0v3rp0w3r posted: »

From The Gallows obviously. I`ve never seen so many mistakes, glitches even in Ubisoft or EA games. And the writing is just awful, you really feel that they just gave that episode to a writer who have not worked on the majority of the game.

• Sadly. I know.

qualityrice posted: »

That writer is still working at Telltale and is currently working on season 4...

• Oh damn I thought ep 4 WAS From the Gallows my bad

Kenny flashback was in ep. 4 and has nothing to do with From The Gallows

• Nah, From The Gallows was season finale. It`s okay buddy :)

Oh damn I thought ep 4 WAS From the Gallows my bad

• From The Gallows was pretty bad, but Ties That Bind part 2 was just. Ugh. You're just rushing through QTE action set piece after set piece, it was even worse than the first episode with handling these new characters, and we cap it all off with Conrad.

"Uncle Javi, she's one of them, lets trade her for medicine for your girlfriend or I'll shoot your nephew! I overheard your little story about how you used to be with them!"

"I'm not your uncle, Conrad, and is she one of them or did she used to be one of them? How does your rage and plan make any sense?"

And then you show up without him and Clem, there's no way to tell Tripp what happened, who strangely doesn't question your vague answer about one of the last survivors of his community/his friend because you're the boss, apparently. And because the flashback choice wasn't bad enough, if you choose "Don't worry about her" when Jesus asks about Clem, Javier replies with "She doesn't matter, let's just go, GAWD."

It took me more than a year to bother going back and completing the last 3 episodes, and this episode was a primary reason why.

• edited August 2018

I wouldn’t even class both Episodes as Episodes as they are short in length and low in quality.

• Ties 2. Clem/Conrad choice was bad, ending twist was bad, it was too short, and it didn't give me reason to care about anyone. From the Gallows streamlined too much, but I feel like it was decent otherwise.

• I liked from the gallows more then episode 5, at least the last half of gallows anyway, tehy could've crammed this game into 3 episodes instead of stretching it out and adding loads of useless scenes (cough cough the boring scene in s3 ep4 when you're with gabe at the beginning)

• You can't blame the writers ability as to how the Episode turned out. There are so many other factors that must be considered when discussing the Episodes of A New Frontier and Episode 5 in particular. We know that A New Frontier was constantly being rewritten due to former management not liking the script for the Episode and other reasons. The rewrites would also come just a couple of weeks before release and the Team were scrambling to meet the deadline.

I know the Writer who you are referring to. We don't even know if they are actually working on The Final Season. We have only seen a blog post from that Writer that goes into detail on each member of the Boarding School and the type of personalities that they have.

How Episode 5 turned out can't completely be blamed on them. There may have been a much better script but due to circumstances which we are all aware of at this point, that was written out and changed.

That writer is still working at Telltale and is currently working on season 4...

• edited August 2018

Both suck but I have to say From The Gallows is just the worst for many good reasons:

• Ava and Tripp both just die in a trash way not ten minutes later.
    • Gabe still kept being a goddamn liability.
    • David tries to kill his own brother no matter how nice you were to him.
    • Speaking of that, Kate's dumbass mind causes David to lose it, she didn't even think about preventing him from fighting Javier.
    • Clementine's fucking haircut.
    • Walkers are acting like they are listening to Jesus' orders and leave Richmond.
    • Conrad disappears after saving Javier in Episode 4.
    • The episode ends with Clementine still trying to track down AJ.
    • Kate decides to save the same people who shot her in the stomach and killed Mariana despite the fact that she wanted to leave Richmond in Episode 3.
    • Eleanor blames Javier for her stupid actions even if you didn't kill Conrad.
    • Clementine's decision on saving Richmond or Gabe and David only depends on her actions and not Javier's.

The only good thing about Episode 5 is Gabe's death, but it took too many episodes for that to happen. He should have been in Mariana's place. Other than that, there is NOTHING good about Episode 5.

• edited August 2018

Well for those who didn't like it..... I am sure they found the End Credits to be good :smile:

As for Clementine's haircut... It is just hair... it will grow back and eventually and it did

AronDracula posted: »

Both suck but I have to say From The Gallows is just the worst for many good reasons: * Ava and Tripp both just die in a trash way not

• Yeah, show Clementine's stats that were not present in the gameplay. And that will not be how Season 4 begins. It felt neat but not enough.

Well for those who didn't like it..... I am sure they found the End Credits to be good As for Clementine's haircut... It is just hair... it will grow back and eventually and it did

• Clementine's decision on saving Richmond or Gabe and David only depends on her actions and not Javier's.

Really? So you can be a complete cunt to Clem but she can still be like "Javi, I'm with you"

• Well I was thinking more of people seeing the credits. That is when the know the Episode is over :joy: The Clementine stats page was pretty cool I feel. Clementine was keeping her walls up throughout A New Frontier out of fear of being hurt. Anyways The Final Season does have a cool beginning :smile:

Yeah, show Clementine's stats that were not present in the gameplay. And that will not be how Season 4 begins. It felt neat but not enough.

• edited August 2018

I think there are many more mistakes, and that's the funny part.

Both suck but I have to say From The Gallows is just the worst for many good reasons: * Ava and Tripp both just die in a trash way not

• Yep, she REALLY does not hate you even if you betray her in Episode 2.

Clementine's decision on saving Richmond or Gabe and David only depends on her actions and not Javier's. Really? So you can be a complete cunt to Clem but she can still be like "Javi, I'm with you"

• Nothing you do as Javier influences whether she's loyal to Javier as far as I can remember. If you choose to accept Avas offer in episode 1 and say goodbye to AJ in episode 3, she goes wherever he does regardless of whether he was a dick to her or sold her out to Conrad. I gave up on the writing when she was opening up to someone she knew for a day and hugging him despite any justification for her singular personality in the game being because she's endured years of emotional trauma that could apparently be fixed in a few conversations, because that's how it works(?).

Clementine's decision on saving Richmond or Gabe and David only depends on her actions and not Javier's. Really? So you can be a complete cunt to Clem but she can still be like "Javi, I'm with you"

• edited August 2018

From the Gallows is probably the second worst episode I've had to experience. The only positives I can really give it off the top of my head are bringing Kate back into proper prominence as a main character(something even Thicker than Water noticeably skimped on), the memorial wall at the end, and at least the idea of the climactic choice. Everything else is mired by being rushed, half-assed, and copping out, interdependently exacerbating the story & gameplay issues.

Part 2 aka Divided We Fall was an episode that took time to develop the majority of it's characters, dwelled on the events of the previous episode for a while before moving things forward, and had a number of relatively effective scenes; it really only suffered more from the relatively frequent pace, having a few areas where there could've been some more variation and/or gameplay, and being released alongside Part 1 at the installment's premiere for the somewhat infamous reasoning.

• Hm...it says here that the writer had part in most of the installment, oddly enough.
    And ironically, Thicker than Water is the outlier in both senses.

From The Gallows obviously. I`ve never seen so many mistakes, glitches even in Ubisoft or EA games. And the writing is just awful, you really feel that they just gave that episode to a writer who have not worked on the majority of the game.

• You sure love to bring up the management and the rewrites don't you? Instead of being ignorant, let's look at the actual writing in From the Gallows, it's simply terrible, deadlines have nothing to do with that. If an episode is full of bugs, you can absolutely argue that it was because of the deadline, management etc because logically, the staff obviously just didn't have time to fix the bugs. When the dialogue is this badly written however, and characters disappearing and teleporting all over the place, it makes 0 sense to blame it on the rewrites because it's the writer that actually writes the dialogue. Now, if you like the writing in episode 5 or not, that's of course subjective, but saying that bad writing is not the writer's fault is just insanity, can't you hear yourself how stupid that sounds?

You can't blame the writers ability as to how the Episode turned out. There are so many other factors that must be considered when discussin

• edited August 2018

From the Gallows is the finale. The unnecessary flashback was in Thicker than Water, the penultimate.
    EDIT: D'oh!

I like them both a lot, honestly. Ties that Bind had the toughest choice I've ever made in a Telltale game (Conrad vs. Clem) but the Kenny f

• From the gallows is episode 5.

the boring scene in s3 ep4 when you're with gabe at the beginnin

The what now?

MaxTheFax posted: »

I liked from the gallows more then episode 5, at least the last half of gallows anyway, tehy could've crammed this game into 3 episodes inst

• We have only seen a blog post from that Writer that goes into detail on each member of the Boarding School and the type of personalities that they have.

Oh yeah, that was him! Good for him then, I guess.

There may have been a much better script but due to circumstances which we are all aware of at this point, that was written out and changed.

Oh, there were definitely entire scenes and gameplay segments cut.

You can't blame the writers ability as to how the Episode turned out. There are so many other factors that must be considered when discussin

• Or "I'm going with Kate", yes.
    Because there was totes a bond built there.

• Tripp's ghost?

Ghetsis posted: »

I think there are many more mistakes, and that's the funny part.

• You sure love to bring up the management and the rewrites don't you?

Yes

Instead of being ignorant, let's look at the actual writing in From the Gallows, it's simply terrible, deadlines have nothing to do with that.

How do you know that? Obviously it does have to do with it. If you are told that you have to rework an Episode just a couple of weeks away then you are going to be under pressure to put something out.

If an episode is full of bugs, you can absolutely argue that it was because of the deadline, management etc because logically, the staff obviously just didn't have time to fix the bugs.

Yes that is what I am trying to get at.

When the dialogue is this badly written however, and characters disappearing and teleporting all over the place, it makes 0 sense to blame it on the rewrites because it's the writer that actually writes the dialogue.

Like I said when you are put into a position where you have to rewrite a completed Episode in a small period of time you are obviously going to under pressure and rush the storyline so to give those who work on building the environments and other members of the team enough time to get the Episode done.

Now, if you like the writing in episode 5 or not, that's of course subjective, but saying that bad writing is not the writer's fault is just insanity, can't you hear yourself how stupid that sounds?

I must be insane then :smile: cheers.
    Jokes aside, put yourself in their shoes. Imagine being told to completely rework an Episode before the release date. You would be rushing it and getting it done as quick as possible so to meet said deadlines. Believe me or not and call this a bold or cocky statement from me but I do think that what I said is correct.

You sure love to bring up the management and the rewrites don't you? Instead of being ignorant, let's look at the actual writing in From the

• Those definitely had a significant hand, though.
    After all, how is anyone expected to write a collectively satisfying, cohesive plot when you suddenly have to alter or omit major characters and scenes for a number of reasons?

You sure love to bring up the management and the rewrites don't you? Instead of being ignorant, let's look at the actual writing in From the

• edited August 2018

I mean, the whole writers room was replaced after episode 2. They pretty much had to continue and end the story from a whole different team.

ANF didn't turn out the way it did because the writers hate you or the game. It was just a shitty situation for everybody.

• From The Gallows is by FAR the worst Telltale episode in it's history (hopefully ever). Ties That Bind while not a good episode at least had something going for it in Clementine. FTG on the other hand was a sloppily written short mess. Conrad disappears until the ass end of the episode with no explanation, Joan/Clint fuck off out of existence, Tripp's death was awful and Ava's was almost comical, the writers annoying way of writing David and Clementine didn't get a proper conclusion. Although seeing David and Gabe bite it allowed me some owed satisfaction so there's that.

• edited August 2018

That doesn't mean your writing skills completely vanish. Look at the fight between Javier and David, it was obviously supposed to be emotional but honestly, it's the most cringy moment in the franchise IMO and I don't know anyone who actually thought it was emotional. Also, look at the flirting scene with Jesus and Javier, it was so badly written that even Robert Kirkman publicly admitted it was awful.

ANF was rushed yes, but that wasn't its only problem, the writers that were hired by Kevin Bruner weren't experienced enough to handle a TWD game, Season 1 was game of the year 2012 for gods sake. ANF was a mix of bad writing and a very tight schedule, and unfortunetely, some of those writers are still working at Telltale today.

DabigRG posted: »

Those definitely had a significant hand, though. After all, how is anyone expected to write a collectively satisfying, cohesive plot when you suddenly have to alter or omit major characters and scenes for a number of reasons?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.