The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• edited February 2019

Ha, HA! I found it!

It's actually a movie, and it's called Tiempo Compartido. or, Time Share.

Two haunted family men join forces in a destructive crusade to rescue their families from a tropical paradise, after becoming convinced that an American timeshare conglomerate has a sinister plan to take their loved ones away.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80991809

AChicken posted: »

There's this show on Netflix I'm trying to find that's driving me mad. I can't find it. I saw a trailer for it on the streaming platform

• edited February 2019

I cannot fucking believe they're bringing Rune Factory 4 on the Switch and making Rune Factory 5 also for the Switch. I literally asked for this LAST MONTH when I was talking about the series with a friend but was so sure it was never going to happen because the developers, Neverland Co. filed for bankruptcy SIX YEARS AGO.

I can't believe one of my favourite niche game series is coming back from the dead.

• Aww he just wants to high five/fist bump his bro. That's so bro.

This gave me big Wall-E vibes because of the lack of dialogue. They did a really good job conveying emotion with just a little triangle.

New Pixar Sparkshort. Smash and Grab.

• Pixar put out a comparison video to show of the differences/similarities between the storyboarding and the actual scenes for the opening of the movie Up. Watching this makes me kinda wish they went for more realistically proportioned bodies to make the opening feel even more real than it already is.

As a big fan of animation I really love all the stuff Pixar has been putting out on YouTube and I hope they put out more videos like this showing off the storyboards.

• Why would you want realism in a cartoon? Do people not watch movies and cartoons to escape reality anymore?

lupinb0y posted: »

Pixar put out a comparison video to show of the differences/similarities between the storyboarding and the actual scenes for the opening of

• Yes because the only reason people watch movies and cartoons is to escape reality,obviously.

Melton23 posted: »

Why would you want realism in a cartoon? Do people not watch movies and cartoons to escape reality anymore?

• edited February 2019

Because I think it would have hit harder on an emotional level by making them more realistically proportioned (maybe to an uncomfortable degree). I have no problem with the movies visuals, it's just my own silly thought.

Melton23 posted: »

Why would you want realism in a cartoon? Do people not watch movies and cartoons to escape reality anymore?

• Finished with Season 2 of Netflix's The Dragon Prince. While I did enjoy the first season a great deal, I'll admit I had some problems, mainly with the animation, but also with some pacing and writing decisions, and some of the jokes didn't really land. That being said, for the most part, the writing was strong, the characters interesting and likable, and it set the foundation for what's to come.

I can safely say Season 2 is a HUGE improvement on damn near everything. Even the animation, while still iffy in some areas, is much better. The writing felt a lot more focused, there's a great deal of backstory revealed, the main character Callum has a nice arc throughout the season (which was good because I wasn't that big a fan of him in the first season), and the stage has been set for a Season 3. It still had some flaws, again the jokes are kind of hit and miss, which are especially noticeable when it causes a tonal shift, and Rayla, who got a pretty big focus in the first season and easily became my favorite character, took more of a backseat this season. Not saying she wasn't important, she was, but definitely a somewhat smaller role here than last season. The only other thing is that it feels like they're doing a sort of love triangle, and I absolutely detest those (ANF and The Legend of Korra). Overall though, it's another strong season, hopefully Season 3 will come soon.

• edited February 2019

Had a bit of a Movie Marathon with a friend yesterday at a local movie theatre doing special screenings.

• I saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople in the morning (alone, since he couldn't make it there)
      This was a movie I'd already seen 2 years ago when it came out. But, I only remember bits and pieces of it. Since then, I have learned that the director was Taika Watiti, and after coming to a better appreciation for his movies and style of comedy over the years I thought it'd be fun to reexperience it and see it with that in mind.
      It's great.
      It's apparently based on a book (Wild Pork and Watercress) which started to get a bit apparent to me about halfway through the film what with the constant "chapter titles" popping up, often in inconsistent amounts of time.
      The film is a good story of a Kid who feels unappreciated and doesn't appreciate others, but after [being forced to] going on the run from the police and Child Welfare agents with his new foster Uncle, they journey through the New Zealand Bush together, developing a close bond. Watiti's style of comedy and filmmaking is great here. With interesting camera angles, snappy dialogue, and great scenery abound.

• Princess Mononoke was in the afternoon
      I've also already seen this movie, but long, long ago when I was like 6 years old. I only remember 2 moments, one of which was extremely terrifying to my young age.
      I can safely say that it's still terrifying as a young adult.
      This movie is way more violent than I thought, probably one of Ghibli's most violent and gory. Imagery of rotting corpses, piles of bodies after war, cuts, gashes, and various people getting limbs cut clean off... I can't believe I saw the whole thing as a kid... I think.
      My friend and I also talked about how Lord-of-the-Rings it feels. It's an immense 2h30m movie. They set up so much of the world, who lives in it, what the political and territorial tensions are in it, aspects of different human or animal tribes and what they do, the mythology of the gods that roam the land... It's incredible. And the animation is fantastic. Archery fights are very well crafted, with the "camera" often following arrows as they fly, Sword fights are full of tension as the unsheathing of knives, swords and the swift slashing of them by various characters is both nail-biting and exhilarating to watch.

The one qualm I have is with the last 20 minutes or so. It's a bit too grandiose of a twist and shift of menace/antagonist for me, at least how I felt in the moment.

• Finishing with Millenium Mambo at night.
      This is an interesting one. At least, interesting in how the movie is presented and/or made.
      It's a old Taiwanese movie, and it's about a girl (named Vicky) who has a bad relationship with her boyfriend, and wants to get out of it. But, it's not like your average Western movie (or so my friend says). It's structured and told very differently. There isn't a clear chronology to the film, it's not a blatant story shoved in your face with twists and turns and drama and moments of narrative...
      The first 5 minutes or so have no dialogue. Just Vicky and her boyfriend cleaning up their apartment after a splurge on food and cigs. Vicky's narration pops in every once in a while to inform of a few events which are to be shown later in the film. "Hao-hao would often look through her wallet, either for money or checking her receipts. If he found a blank one, he'd call the establishment where it's from. If he found a phone card bill that was too long, he'd ask her about it. He always thought she was cheating on him." Personally, I didn't really enjoy that. I would've preferred to be surprised by events and not knowing what a character was doing or how a scene would play out.
      The movie is also incredibly slow. Maybe in my opinion too much (in the opinion of my friend, it wasn't slow enough. he loved it.) As mentioned with the first few minutes, there are a lot of shots and scenes without dialogue. It's not a movie where characters always have a thing to say or say something to advance the plot. It's just normal conversation. What makes this good in terms of a different dynamic to this film is that it feels real. It really feels like the camera was set up, they started rolling and let it roll for a good while. Many of the actors aren't even professional actors, and this movie was probably made with aspects of the actual people in mind. Most of the cast (apart from Vicky) share the same name with their characters as they do in real life.
      ...Anyway, it was a good movie, or more accurately: experience. I enjoyed seeing how different this movie was in terms of where it went and what it told, but I wouldn't really watch it on my own for entertainment purposes. Apparently a lot of east-Asian movies dont have the same formula of film as Western films do.

In other news, I was going to go see another movie today, part of the theater's festival of free movies around this time but unfortunately it was all sold out online. (Should've requested a ticket yesterday night in person. Asked earlier in the day, didn't get a ticket but they still had many available.)
    The movie I was looking at is called Blue My Mind. A Swedish "coming-of-age" film of a girl going through the highs and lows of her high-school life, and subsequently puberty. It's supposed to be an interesting surreal experience, but after looking up more of the film and seeing a trailer, I'm glad I'm not going... or at least I'm glad I know what the movie actually is.

Freaky. I would've been in for a terrifying surprise had I gone in blind. "Lovecraftian Body Horror"??! No, thank you. No way.
    I was expecting a nice, honest, heartwarming movie of adolescence. Like Eighth Grade but Swedish.

• Hey man you’re not Swedish, how do you know that Lovecraftian body horror isn’t just a natural part of puberty in Sweden?

Had a bit of a Movie Marathon with a friend yesterday at a local movie theatre doing special screenings. * I saw Hunt for the Wilderpeo

• edited February 2019

Wait wait wait. This comment is best suited for the movies thread.

• Kitbull Sparkshooort.

• edited February 2019

I'm 7 hours into Metro: Exodus and I really like this game. There's so much stuff to do but it doesn't feel overbearing, so much optional dialogue, interesting lore, lots of loot, and I really like the level of customisation even if I wish it was a bit more in depth.

HOWEVER the PC port of this game isn't great.

The graphics settings on this thing are so bare bones. Aside from certain things like hair physics and tesselation, there are four options for the graphics (low, medium, high and ultra) and that's it. No settings for shadows, lighting, textures, effects, FOV slider and what not. What makes it worse is that these were options in the previous games. There are only two settings for audio (normal and Dolby), no speakers, headphones or anything. Speaking of sound the audio in this game is really quiet so I had to bump it up from my usual settings.

Also I've come across the problem of the executable file deleting itself a couple of times (which is a known issue).

I have no idea how they bungled it up despite having put out quality ports before. I really hope that they update the game to fix all these issues because I am having am having a blast with it otherwise.

• Does this sound like a good plan.
    So im going to upgrade from my gtx 1050 ti 4gb to gainward gtx 1060 6gb, i have i5 7400 cpu. Then im gonna buy i7 7700 and then rtx 2060 6gb. Does this sound good, would you change anything?

• edited February 2019

The Writers Guild Award took place this weekend, and like all recent years it has had a category for Outstanding Achievement in Video Game Writing. Winners past included Uncharted 4 in 2017, Horizon: Zero Dawn in 2018, and this year's winner is Santa Monica Studios' God of War. Bravo.
    My main point for bringing this up is holy cow Telltale got nominated in the same category for Batman Season 2.

https://www.truetrophies.com/n17053/god-of-war-wins-2019-writers-guild-award

[God of War] beat off competition from Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Batman: The Enemy Within, Marvel’s Spider-Man, and Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire to win the top prize.

EDIT: got the God of War award here. (Skip to 1:34 to avoid the lame, dated game mockery.)

• holy cow Telltale got nominated in the same category for Batman Season 2.

Wow that's awesome! That's really cool the they believed it was worth a nomination!

The Writers Guild Award took place this weekend, and like all recent years it has had a category for Outstanding Achievement in Video Game W

• Shame, this happened, well, now, but that's really neat. TEW is an excellent game - shame it didn't sell very well.

The Writers Guild Award took place this weekend, and like all recent years it has had a category for Outstanding Achievement in Video Game W

• edited February 2019

Okay, this next part makes sense given it's the only part of TEW that released in the last year, but Episode 5 itself was nominated for the award. That's pretty damn well impressive.

Full WGA Awards list

Batman: The Enemy Within, Episode 5-Same Stitch, Lead Writers James Windeler, Meghan Thornton; Written by Ross Beeley, Lauren Mee; Story by Meghan Thornton, Michael Kirkbride; Telltale Games

R.I.P.

Looking at previous WGAs:

• Night School Studio's MR. ROBOT 1.51_Exfiltration mobile game was nom'd in 2017.
    • Naughty Dog has raked in most of the awards since the category's inception. Uncharteds 2-4 have won the awards, The Last of Us won in 2014, (and here's the kicker) its story DLC Left Behind won the following year! Lol.

Can't find much else for Telltale themselves so that's a pretty great achievement as a last hurrah.

lupinb0y posted: »

holy cow Telltale got nominated in the same category for Batman Season 2. Wow that's awesome! That's really cool the they believed it was worth a nomination!

• edited February 2019

That makes it even more impressive that its for just the final episode, especially considering how huge the other nominees are.

These two (to four) hours was so good it deserved an award nomination alongside these 10+ hour long games.

Okay, this next part makes sense given it's the only part of TEW that released in the last year, but Episode 5 itself was nominated for the

• Out of sheer curiosity as to what happened to our fair Community Manager at Telltale, I did a little google search.

I found that yay, Caroline has since found a job. Marketing Director at Limited Run Games.

• Oh man, today in Jojo King Crimson was introduced. Can't wait for the King Crimson vs Metallica fight. Spoilers for today's episode under the spoiler tag.

• Uh, what now with Metallica?

dojo32161 posted: »

Oh man, today in Jojo King Crimson was introduced. Can't wait for the King Crimson vs Metallica fight. Spoilers for today's episode under the spoiler tag. (Spoiler)

• Oh, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is show that has powers called "Stands" the author likes to name them (and some characters) based off of bands and songs he likes, Killer Queen, Crazy Diamond, Cheap Trick, King Crimson, Metallica, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, etc.

Uh, what now with Metallica?

• Heh, that's pretty cool.

Oh, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is show that has powers called "Stands" the author likes to name them (and some characters) based off of bands

• edited February 2019

And with that, I might have to start watching some anime.

EDIT: So I looked up a list, and you're not joking. Some other ones I found were:

• ZZ (ZZ Top)
    • Steely Dan (band of same name)
    • DIO (Ronnie James Dio)
    • Iggy (most likely Iggy Pop)
    • J. Geil (The J. Geils Band)
    • Cream (band of same name)
    • Red Hot Chili Pepper (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
    • Bad Company (band of same name)
    • Ratt (band of same name)
    • Cinderella (band of same name)
    • Highway Star (song by Deep Purple)
    • Sticky Fingers (album by The Rolling Stones)
    • Aerosmith (band of same name)
    • Purple Haze (song by Jimi Hendrix)
    • Black Sabbath (band/song of same name)
    • The Grateful Dead (band of same name)
    • Clash (The Clash)
    • White Album (album by The Beatles)
    • Green Day (band of same name)
    • King Nothing (song by Metallica)

And that's not even scratching the surface it looks like. On the one hand, I find this cool, but at the same time, I feel like I'd be constantly taken out of the show because of the on the nose references.

Oh, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is show that has powers called "Stands" the author likes to name them (and some characters) based off of bands

• I'm not sure if there's a dub, but if so, then watching the subbed version might be better. It'd probably feel way weirder for you having English voice actors constantly name famous bands/icons in a show unrelated to the topic.

And holy smokes that's an impressive amount of rock references. I don't know all of them, but for the ones I do... I might watch a bit of this to see what they do with all these names. Wow.

And with that, I might have to start watching some anime. EDIT: So I looked up a list, and you're not joking. Some other ones I found wer

• I started a new youtube channel and I made a video that I'm going to make my channel introduction. It's unlisted now and before I make it public I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it and I also made another video that's unlisted as well that I'm thinking of making the intro and I would also appreciate feedback on that too.

• Elon Musk did a meme review.

2019 started just right.

• If only he started it with the clap.

Elon Musk did a meme review. 2019 started just right.

• How does he get these people? I know he’s the most popular YouTuber, but still. A few months ago, he got the one and only Ben Shapiro to do a meme review.

Okay, this is epic

Elon Musk did a meme review. 2019 started just right.

• edited February 2019

Huh. So interesting how he's just got this influence that mainstream public figures like Elon Musk or Ben Shapiro can actually agree to do some actual meme reviews.

But I'm just wondering... Why these two? What's their relation to Pewdiepie and/or meme review? (just asking as a very casual watcher of pewds)
    Also, I'll agree with how does he do it? (though I'm guessing it's just that he and fans drum up enough attention on the subject of their involvement that they play along for some Internet clicks and buzz.)

How does he get these people? I know he’s the most popular YouTuber, but still. A few months ago, he got the one and only Ben Shapiro to do a meme review. Okay, this is epic

• But I'm just wondering... Why these two? What's their relation to Pewdiepie and/or meme review? (just asking as a very casual watcher of pewds)

Many memes

though I'm guessing it's just that he and fans drum up enough attention on the subject of their involvement that they play along for some Internet clicks and buzz.

Correct. Pewdiepie's been talking about some of his popular memes for the past few months and it eventually led to some of Elons fans telling him about Pewdiepie. Then the fans of them both start to talk about them doing a collab and pewdiepie popularized the request through his videos by constantly talking about it. And with a enough push from the fans it was settled. So basically, this is more of the fans doing than actually Pewdiepie and Elon.

Huh. So interesting how he's just got this influence that mainstream public figures like Elon Musk or Ben Shapiro can actually agree to do s

• edited February 2019

I can't speak for Elon, but as for Ben, I can certainly tell you, as a fan of his, that there are a ton of memes centered on him.

• Ben (insert ridiculous and exaggerated verb, like Destroys, Decimates, Annihilates, etc.) Insane Leftist/Socialist with Facts and Logic: Probably the most well known one due to his frequent college lectures where he engages in lengthy Q&A's with those that disagree with him (that's his central policy, anyone that disagrees with him get's to ask their questions first). This makes up, at the very least, half of all Ben videos on YouTube.
    • Okay, this is epic: This was originally a tweet Ben sent out at some point, and the Internet for some reason decided to turn it into a meme (because why not I guess).
    • My wife is a doctor: This is a particular favorite of mine and many Shapiro fans, it always gets a huge applause from fans when he says it. It's gotten to the point where he actually sells shirts on his websites store with the saying. He just likes to bring up how his wife is a doctor, mostly because of how proud he is of her.

There's probably some I'm forgetting, but these memes have given Ben a huge amount of popularity, to the point where he's one of the most sought after speakers on college campuses. Ben Shapiro is just a very meme-able guy.

Huh. So interesting how he's just got this influence that mainstream public figures like Elon Musk or Ben Shapiro can actually agree to do s

• So I watched Glass the other day and hooooooh. I really did not like this movie.

I was actually digging the first half/two thirds too. James McAvoy is as great as he was in Split and they brought up some REALLY interesting ideas. They also had some great shots, particularly the pink room in the asylum shown in the trailer. They used an outdated meme (and didn't even use it properly) but I was still liking what was going on.

But then it all comes tumbling down as they have one of the most flaccid climaxes I've seen in a movie. It was so awkward as it took place entirely within an empty car lot, the interesting ideas get torn the fuck down and there are things that get pulled out of nowhere. The side characters, including Casey who I thought was really good in Split, are so bland. The movie acts like Casey and Kevin (James McAvoy's character) were best friends the whole time. There are also like three twists and only one of them is actually kinda neat I guess. Bruce Willis does fuck all throughout the movie. Out of the three big characters, he gets WAAYYYY less screentime then either James McAvoy or Samuel L. Jackson.

And then there's the puddle.

I'm really disappointed with how bad this movie turned out since I thought Split was so good. I really wouldn't recommend seeing this in theatres, if you're at all curious about the movie maybe wait til it's on Netflix or something.

• Mmmm... Nando's.

• Kitbull is probably my favourite SparkShort at the moment. It's just so cute and sad and the animation is really good. It's also surprisingly 'dark' which I like. So far the SparkShorts have been three for three, hopefully the quality continues!

• Finally, for 2 months, I've been waiting so long to watch Spider-Man: Into The Spider Verse online. And guess what? It was worth it. This is one of the most amazing and spectacular animated movies that isn't * Disney or Pixar I've ever seen. And this is so surprising for 2 reasons:

• It's Spider-Man's VERY first animated movie, he has only been in animated shows since 1967, what was the reason of waiting them so long to do it?

• It's published by Sony, the publisher that brought us garbage animated movies like Angry Birds and the Emoji Movie (Which is without a single doubt one of the worst movies on the planet). Not only that, Sony has been disappointing us with their take on the Web Swinger since Spider-Man 3 with The Amazing Spider-Man franchise and their recent spin-off installment, Venom which was an enjoyable experience but far from being good. I didn't even like Homecoming that much, Tom Holland was a great cast but his story arc was pretty unmemorable, I hope Far From Home fixes it (It looks promising so far, it needs to stay solo).

The comedy was top notch, the animation is perfectly made, the alternate Spider-Men were developed so well and it also features some sad moments, not gonna spoil it. With that being said, Spider-Verse won the Oscar for the best animated feature at Academy Awards 2019. Totally deserved. Finally a masterpiece animated movie that isn't Disney or Pixar. I still don't know if my favorite Spider-Man is either this or Spider-Man 2. Both are coming close to number 1 spot. Now I'm hoping for Sony leave everyone the fuck alone and let the directors handle the sequel, or the franchise as they also announced a spin off for Spider-Verse.

• What perfect timing, since the film won an Academy Award last night.

Congrats to Sony and the crew, by the way. Very well deserved.

AronDracula posted: »

Finally, for 2 months, I've been waiting so long to watch Spider-Man: Into The Spider Verse online. And guess what? It was worth it. This is

• Been playing Far Cry: New Dawn and have been having a decent amount of fun with it. At first I wasn't really into it until I started unlocking more weapons and whatnot. I like the characters, the villains are pretty alright so far (great voice acting), and the environment is really nice looking especially with the colours. I'm liking the 'RPG' elements but I wish they would've just gone for a full blown RPG rather than just meet halfway especially since it's a spin off game.

I'm bummed that there isn't any weapon customisation especially just having finished Metro: Exodus. I haven't progressed too far into the story cause I've been messing around with the side content like I usually do with these games so I can't really say much about it.

• edited February 2019

After about 3 or so years of growing and maintaining a goatee and mustache, I decided to shave it all off. As much as I liked it, it doesn't really set a good first impression when you're going on job interviews, a clean shaven look is much more professional. I must say, it feels weird having a chin again, the skin is so soft. And it's super funny to see people who have probably only ever seen me with a goatee have to do a double take, the looks on their faces are priceless.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.