TWAU crashes to desktop on every start. Anyone else?

Specs:

Windows 8 x64
16gb RAM
Nvidia 560ti
i5-2500k

Every time I launch the game my monitor flashes, turns black for a bit, then just reverts to the desktop with no TWAU process active in the Task Manager. I've tried installing the game on my main (C:) and games-specific (G:) hard drives with no luck. I ran the game as administrator, ran in compatibility mode, and nothing worked.

Pretty disappointing experience today, all told.

Comments

• Me too. Also Windows 8 x64 with an Nvidia card.

• Also, I installed it to drive D, if that helps you guys track it down...

YMH posted: »

Me too. Also Windows 8 x64 with an Nvidia card.

• Same here.
    Windows 8 x64, Nvidia 560ti, i5-2500k

No luck running it using compatibility mode :(

• Found the problem. It's the 360 controller.
    Just unplug it or download this dll and copy it into the installation folder.

Thebis posted: »

Same here. Windows 8 x64, Nvidia 560ti, i5-2500k No luck running it using compatibility mode

• didnt fix it for me, still force closing.

Thebis posted: »

Found the problem. It's the 360 controller. Just unplug it or download this dll and copy it into the installation folder.

• I had the same problem you install the same file you put in WD if you have a 360 controller. It won't work if you don't have the file and a 360 controller attached.

• edited October 2013

I sort of have a similar problem running the game on Windows 7, Steam version.
    I can start the game, fiddle around with the settings and even begin to start a new game- but immediately after the little text intro, the game immediately crashes. I get a "TheWolfAmongUs.exe has stopped working" message.

Edit: Funny enough, my version that I bought from Telltale directly? Works just fine past that point, so I don't even know what's up XD I don't have time to see if it crashes past then, but it will go past the opening scrawl.

• I'm having the same problems with the Steam version of the game as Tellah. Right after the text pops up it immediately goes black for a moment, then I get that the program has stopped responding. Any ideas on this?

• I got crash as well, just after running game. Windows 8 x64, Radeon card. So it's probably fault of Win 8, but compatibility mode don't work (first time I got that issue with Win 8)

• edited October 2013

This happened to me when I have my controller plugged in. Try either one of these:

• Unplug your controller
    • Download from a trusted source dinput8.dll file and put it in the same folder as the .exe file

And thank telltale for solving this issue which was already present in TWD

• I agree. Razer mouse is counter as Controller, so I have unplugged it and puted dinput8.dll file in game folder, now its working! Yeah <3

go_ob posted: »

This happened to me when I have my controller plugged in. Try either one of these: * Unplug your controller * Download from a trusted so

• I don't use a controller but the game crashes for me. I'm using Windows 7.

• MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

Is anyone else besides Raav92 using a Razer mouse with Win8?

• I found this solution on other forum, so other ppl had this problem. After installing DLL I can play game without plugging out Razer Mouse

MattP posted: »

Is anyone else besides Raav92 using a Razer mouse with Win8?

• MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

Thank you for alerting us to this. When Windows 8.1 is released later this month, it should not longer be a problem, but I will inform our QA Dept of this and see if we can reproduce it locally.

Raav92 posted: »

I found this solution on other forum, so other ppl had this problem. After installing DLL I can play game without plugging out Razer Mouse

• Thank You for reply. Fortunately, my game is working and I was able to record it on my channel.
    If it will help, here is exact *.dll witch I downloaded. http://www.fichier-dll.fr/dinput8.dll,724 Maybe You could stick this somewere on Your forum. Ill try to help if I find people with my problem, but anyways I wont see all issues.

Btw. I think it will be an awesome game <3

MattP posted: »

Thank you for alerting us to this. When Windows 8.1 is released later this month, it should not longer be a problem, but I will inform our QA Dept of this and see if we can reproduce it locally.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

If anyone still experiences crashes, I can take a look.

Please follow the instructions to run the TWAU Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWAU_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• edited October 2013

Hey I just bought Wolf Among Us from Steam, and after two hours of playing, it started crashing on start-up
    . Could someone offer a solution

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dab0r8

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e2owln

DjNDB posted: »

If anyone still experiences crashes, I can take a look. Please follow the instructions to run the TWAU Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWAU_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
          Card name: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset  

I am surprised it ever worked with that graphics chip, but some information is missing.
    Please run the tool again and upload the .zip file it creates in the end.

kb55592 posted: »

Hey I just bought Wolf Among Us from Steam, and after two hours of playing, it started crashing on start-up . Could someone offer a solution http://www.sendspace.com/file/dab0r8 http://www.sendspace.com/file/e2owln

• DjNDB posted: »

Card name: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset I am surprised it ever worked with that graphics chip, but some information is missing. Please run the tool again and upload the .zip file it creates in the end.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Faulting module name: igdumd32.dll, version: 8.15.10.2302, time stamp: 0x4d558a0a

The crashes are definitely caused by the graphics driver.

Please rename the prefs.prop in
    %userprofile%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Wolf Among Us
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.

That should reset the graphics settings and might make it work again.
    Since your computer doesn't meet the system requirements it might fail though. The best you can do is installing a dedicated AMD or Nvidia graphics card. Even an older (as in last 5 years) low specs card is better than integrated Intel graphics for this.

kb55592 posted: »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/adgo4q

This discussion has been closed.