All my extra's remain locked (The Wolf Among Us)

Hey, I'm about an hour into the game and I've unlocked a few 'Books of Fable' and achievements. However, when I try to look at them under the Extra's section everything remains locked. The personal choices section remains locked as well. Has anybody else had this issue? I feel like i'm missing out on a massive part of the lore and thus the game.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I can try to find the cause.
    Please follow the instructions to run the TWAU Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWAU_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• DjNDB posted: »

I can try to find the cause. Please follow the instructions to run the TWAU Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWAU_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I don't see anything suspicious, but I don't know enough about the savesystem yet, to know what to look for specifically.
    It's all blackbox testing for me. If you don't get an answer from TTG support here in a few days, i suggest you write an E-Mail to support@telltalegames.com

callannn posted: »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/opfl7k There you go!

• Ah I thought you may be able to shine some light on it for me as it's bugging me, but thank you for looking in to it anyway!

DjNDB posted: »

I don't see anything suspicious, but I don't know enough about the savesystem yet, to know what to look for specifically. It's all blackbox t

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2013

I've been doing some analyzing today and found out what some of the files do.
    menu.bundle: Stores which Achievements and Book of Fables entries you have viewed
    global.bundle: Stores unlocked Book of Fables entries and achievements (On steam achievements are also stored somewhere else and restored to global.bundle)
    Judging by the file dates, those files have not been updated in your case.
    There's also other things that look unusual. E.g. you have two session_*.estore files, while there's only one in my playthrough, and the _saveslot1_id.estore is ridiculously small. I don't know what these files do, but it might all be linked.

I suggest you Zip and upload the entire savegame folder ( C:\Users\Callan\Documents\Telltale Games\The Wolf Among Us ), then i can look if there's anything else I can find out. Hopefully we can track down the cause.

Afterwards, sad as that is, I suggest you rename the entire savegame folder to deactivate it and start over, to see if your extras work in the next playthrough. If I assume correctly It might not be possible to restore your extras, and that way you won't lose as much time as if you wait until i have more results.

Still it's important we find out why it happened in the first place.
    Did anything unusual happen at any point when you tried playing the game (e.g. crashes or other bugs)?
    Have you only played on one PC or on multiple ones, syncing with steam cloud?

Ah I thought you may be able to shine some light on it for me as it's bugging me, but thank you for looking in to it anyway!

• http://www.sendspace.com/file/0aqn92
    Please find above the zipped savegame folder. I've had a look in it myself to see if I could find anything but as I have absolutely no knowledge of the save systems and what not I didn't really know what to look for. I haven't played the game since I wrote this thread just in case I might have had to start again.

There have been no other bugs or crashes whilst playing. The only instance where there was an incident is when I launched the game for the first time and it had just booted onto the opening menu screens, my laptop charger fell out and because I play games without the battery in to prolong its life the whole laptop went off. I have since uninstalled and re-installed the game three times to try and fix the issue and each time the savegame file comes up with the same files. I have only played it on my laptop too, no other computers involved.

I'm not sure if this is an issue either but when I installed the game the second time the pathway names for the files ('Telltale Games' and 'The Wolf Among Us') were saved in all lowercase letters, so in 'Documents' it was 'telltale games' and in there 'the wolf among us'. I have since capitalized them.

When you say you suggest I rename the entire savegame folder, do you mean changing it from 'The Wolf Among Us' to something completely different and start a new game so it generates a new folder?

Thank you for all the help by the way, I appreciate it!

I've been doing some analyzing today and found out what some of the files do. menu.bundle: Stores which Achievements and Book of Fables entri

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

You're welcome.

That laptop charger incident was probably the cause. It must have left the savegame folder in that inconsistent state.
    Uninstalling the game doesn't delete the savegame folder.
    The case of the path names should not matter.

Yes, the idea is to let it generate a new savegame folder. Please also disable steam cloud for TWAU before you do that. Otherwise it might recover the broken files.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0aqn92 Please find above the zipped savegame folder. I've had a look in it myself to see if I could find anythi

• Oh sorry, I should have said in my last reply that each time I have uninstalled the game I deleted the savegame folder as well, so every time I've booted the game after re-installing it it has generated a new savegame folder.

Alternatively, Could I delete the exisiting savegame folder, start a new game, unlock a few things and see if that works? I've also just disable Steam Cloud sync for the game.

You're welcome. That laptop charger incident was probably the cause. It must have left the savegame folder in that inconsistent state. Uni

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Alternatively, Could I delete the exisiting savegame folder, start a new game, unlock a few things and see if that works? I've also just disable Steam Cloud sync for the game.

That would work just as well. In your earlier tries when you deleted the savegame folder manually, the steam cloud was probably the problem.

Oh sorry, I should have said in my last reply that each time I have uninstalled the game I deleted the savegame folder as well, so every time

• I've just deleted the folder, booted up the game and all my achievements are now there, so thank you very much for the help! I didn't think the steam cloud syncing would affect it. If I were to turn the syncing back on would the problem come back or because the new savegame folder is how it should be it would be okay?

Alternatively, Could I delete the exisiting savegame folder, start a new game, unlock a few things and see if that works? I've also just disab

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

It should sync your new savegames to the steam cloud or show a conflict and let you choose, as far as I know.
    It's best to try now before you invested more time playing.

I've just deleted the folder, booted up the game and all my achievements are now there, so thank you very much for the help! I didn't think th

• I turned sync back on and it did give me my save files back, which I have deleted so I can start a new game. I'll report back once I've unlocked a few things to see if the issue has definitely been fixed with steam sync on.

It should sync your new savegames to the steam cloud or show a conflict and let you choose, as far as I know. It's best to try now before you invested more time playing.

• I think I may know the issue, or an issue. Every time I now boot the game with sync on it restores an old session_*.estore file dated the 12th when I first installed the game. Is there any way of preventing this from happening without turning sync off?

It should sync your new savegames to the steam cloud or show a conflict and let you choose, as far as I know. It's best to try now before you invested more time playing.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

It wasn't supposed to recover your previous savefiles, so there is a risk it's inconsistent again, even if the extras work now.
    It's better to keep steam cloud disabled, and delete the folder again. No way of knowing if you would get problems later in the game otherwise.

I turned sync back on and it did give me my save files back, which I have deleted so I can start a new game. I'll report back once I've unlocked a few things to see if the issue has definitely been fixed with steam sync on.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

There's a really long post that describes how you might be able to delete files from steam cloud. I haven't tested that though.

I think I may know the issue, or an issue. Every time I now boot the game with sync on it restores an old session_*.estore file dated the 12th

• Oh that's odd then, Do you have any idea as to why it installed the old saves, or if there is a way to delete the synced data? Is there some sort of cache on my system that I could delete?

I've disabled it for the game for now and deleted the folder>

It wasn't supposed to recover your previous savefiles, so there is a risk it's inconsistent again, even if the extras work now. It's better t

This discussion has been closed.