Wolf Among Us crash on startup

I've been wanted to play this game all day, but when I try to start the game all I get is a black screen with a mouse cursor for a few seconds and then crash to desktop. There is no error message when it happens and I have already tried it without my controller plugged in, I am at a lost on how to proceed.

Comments

• MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

Please ensure your system meets the required specifications for the game. Also, if you have an integrated graphics card, this might be the reason for the crash.

• My game won't start either, I get the cannot connect with telltale servers message and it freezes right there. Can only assume it is a fun game since I am unable to play. Unless hitting Control Alt Delete is the game??

• My system exceeds all the "recommended" settings for Wolf Among Us, specs: i7 920 - GTX - 285 - 6GB RAM - Windows 7, it's also not this "cannot connect with telltale servers" I keep hearing about, there is no error message. Just black screen with cursor and crash to desktop.

MattP posted: »

Please ensure your system meets the required specifications for the game. Also, if you have an integrated graphics card, this might be the reason for the crash.

• Managed to fix it myself, noticed that the game was supposed to be 2gb when installed but when I checked in control panel it was listed as 1gb. So I uninstalled and redownloaded from telltale, reinstalled and the game loads properly. I did have the "cannot connect with telltale servers" problem after I did get it to boot however. What ended up working for me was to use my telltale user name instead of my account email. Hope this can help others who are having difficulties.

• After initial problems I was able to start game but now it crashes in the same way as you described.
    Am trying to re download it though Telltales download servers seems to be killed (100mb downloaded in an hour)?

Any other ideas/tips?

For what it's worth Walking Dead never gave me any trouble.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

If it still crashes I can take a look.
    Please follow the instructions to run the TWAU Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWAU_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

Vurten posted: »

After initial problems I was able to start game but now it crashes in the same way as you described. Am trying to re download it though Tellt

• The same thing was happening to me, but I fixed it (sort of). I read on a forum that non-alphanumeric characters in Windows account names could cause the problem, and mine has an ! in it. I created a new user with only letters, and the game works. Still won't work under my regular account, though. Silly bug.

• Thanks!

In the meantime I've found that I can play if I unplug my wireless 360 controller. I used the controller for playing walking dead without any trouble.
    To iterate Wolf among us works if my wireless controller is not plugged in.

Link for my TWAU report:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/q06lwr

DjNDB posted: »

If it still crashes I can take a look. Please follow the instructions to run the TWAU Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWAU_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

The problem is caused by a bug that's fixed in Windows 8.1, coming out soon.
    Meanwhile you can try an unofficial workaround. In short, by downloading and extracting this zip file, and copying the dinput8.dll next to the TheWolfAmongUs.exe (or "The Wolf Among Us.exe"), you should be able to use the controller normally.

Vurten posted: »

Thanks! In the meantime I've found that I can play if I unplug my wireless 360 controller. I used the controller for playing walking dead w

• Hey, so I just downloaded and installed the game. I'm still getting the "Cannot connect to server" message. Tried re-installing it. Turned off firewalls, etc. to see if that had anything to do with it. Plus, my windows account only contains letters. Any ideas?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please follow the instructions in the support FAQ under "PC: TTG Download - I can't log into the game".

Hey, so I just downloaded and installed the game. I'm still getting the "Cannot connect to server" message. Tried re-installing it. Turned off

• I pluged out my Xbox wireless controller AND my logitech Joystick and it started.

• Yeah, none of that is working. I don't even get a login option. Sent an email to support. Thanks.

Please follow the instructions in the support FAQ under "PC: TTG Download - I can't log into the game".

• Thanks a bunch for a precise answer and solution. :thumbs up:

The problem is caused by a bug that's fixed in Windows 8.1, coming out soon. Meanwhile you can try an unofficial workaround. In short, by dow

• I have the same problem - just bought the game on Steam and it crashed upon startup.
    I have Win7, no Xbox controller and my laptop definitely meets the required specifications for the game.

Such a shame, I have seen some gameplay, I love The Walking Dead and I really hoped to play TWAU today.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I can take a look.

Please follow the instructions to run the TWAU Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWAU_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

I have the same problem - just bought the game on Steam and it crashed upon startup. I have Win7, no Xbox controller and my laptop definitely

• edited October 2013

Thank you for quick response:)

Should I move "TWAU_create_support_data.bat" file to some exact folder, where game is installed?
    Because when I run this file in random folder it shows that it is impossible to find game installation folder.

I can take a look. Please follow the instructions to run the TWAU Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWAU_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• Ok, so I moved whole unzipped "TWAU_PC_Support_Tool" to folder where (in Steam) TWAU is installed and the message says that it still can't locate files of the game.

I can take a look. Please follow the instructions to run the TWAU Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWAU_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

You can run it in an arbitrary location. Don't worry about the error messages. As long as it creates the .zip file in the end everything is okay.

Ok, so I moved whole unzipped "TWAU_PC_Support_Tool" to folder where (in Steam) TWAU is installed and the message says that it still can't locate files of the game.

• edited October 2013

Thank you so much for helping :)

Here is the link to TWAU_support_data_pc.zip:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/4wkkxf

Please let me know when I can delete it:)

You can run it in an arbitrary location. Don't worry about the error messages. As long as it creates the .zip file in the end everything is okay.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2013

C:!M\Programy\STEAM\steamapps\common\The Wolf Among Us

The game currently crashes because of the ! in the path to your steam library.
    The easiest way to work around this is to uninstall the game by selecting "delete game content" in steam. Then click "install" for the game, but this time choose a different install location without any special characters in the path.

If downloading the game again takes a long time for you, you can alternatively use the "copy" solution i described here.

As soon as the game works you can delete the file of course.

Thank you so much for helping Here is the link to TWAU_support_data_pc.zip: http://www.sendspace.com/file/4wkkxf Please let me know when I can delete it:)

• Thank you, I will try:)
    I hope it will be ok.

C:!M\Programy\STEAM\steamapps\common\The Wolf Among Us The game currently crashes because of the ! in the path to your steam library.

• I followed the advice from other users and signed out and logged back on under my username and ... it worked!

• edited October 2013

I'm also having the "can't login to the telltale server" problem.
    I've allowed the exe in the windows firewall, and I only have normal letters in my username. I've also tried logging in with my email adress.

here's my link to the report file:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0igytp

EDIT: SOLVED - tried again for the tenth time, and now it just worked. Maybe the servers were overburdened?

johnny76 posted: »

I followed the advice from other users and signed out and logged back on under my username and ... it worked!

• Are there plans to fix this bug? It's kind of annoying, and didn't affect previous Telltale titles.

C:!M\Programy\STEAM\steamapps\common\The Wolf Among Us The game currently crashes because of the ! in the path to your steam library.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I have reported it in detail and they are looking into it.

Are there plans to fix this bug? It's kind of annoying, and didn't affect previous Telltale titles.

• Ok, I've been trying for way too long to get this to work. Everything seems to match up, I followed all the directions. I still don't get a login option and it won't connect to telltale server. I really don't know what else to do. :/

• Also crash on start up - I have tried all the re install / install to different drive etc none work - steam version
    here is my file from your support tool: Support file

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please try unplugging any non essential USB devices, especially gamepads or joysticks. If the game runs, the problem is caused by a bug that's fixed in Windows 8.1, coming out tomorrow.
    Meanwhile you can try an unofficial workaround. In short, by downloading and extracting this zip file, and copying the dinput8.dll next to the TheWolfAmongUs.exe (or "The Wolf Among Us.exe"), you should be able to use the controller normally.

Zorgg posted: »

Also crash on start up - I have tried all the re install / install to different drive etc none work - steam version here is my file from your support tool: Support file

• Great the file workaround worked for me thanks.

Please try unplugging any non essential USB devices, especially gamepads or joysticks. If the game runs, the problem is caused by a bug that's

• whats your password?

johnny76 posted: »

I followed the advice from other users and signed out and logged back on under my username and ... it worked!

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Advice: Never tell anyone your password.

XraviaLord posted: »

whats your password?

• http://www.sendspace.com/file/znnswg

Hello,

So I downloaded this game a few days ago and the first time I played I got to the point where I figure out the girls name and it would crash whenever I asked the mirror to see the king. It would let me see the other two choices, but not the king. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled and now I can't get past the first screen telling about Bigby and fabletown. I'm really upset because I want to play this game desperately!!

Any help would be greatly aprpeciated! Thanks.

If this is a duplicate (i tried to post a comment before but i guess it got eaten up!) please ignore!

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Problem signature:
    P1: TheWolfAmongUs.exe
    P4: igdumd32.dll

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

Your crashes are caused by your integrated graphics chip, which doesn't meet the minimum requirements.
    Intel graphics chips are not recommended and they don't work well with TTG's games.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/znnswg Hello, So I downloaded this game a few days ago and the first time I played I got to the point wher

• game crashes on startup, unpluging the controller didnt help, Win7 here's the link from my TWAU support tool http://www.sendspace.com/file/zseypo
    Can anyone help?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Install location (Steam): C:\Program Files\SOFT!!!\Steam\steamapps\common\The Wolf Among Us\

That's a known bug. The game crashes because of the exclamation marks (!) in the path to your steam library. Here's how you can work around it until it's fixed.

Naughty posted: »

game crashes on startup, unpluging the controller didnt help, Win7 here's the link from my TWAU support tool http://www.sendspace.com/file/zseypo Can anyone help?

• Cheers! It works now, thanks alot.

Install location (Steam): C:\Program Files\SOFT!!!\Steam\steamapps\common\The Wolf Among Us\ That's a known bug. The game crashes beca

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Problem signature:
    P1: TheWolfAmongUs.exe
    P2: 2013.11.14.26331
    P3: 52856dfc
    P4: DINPUT8.dll
    P5: 6.2.9200.16384
    P6: 5010a805
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 0000ff0e

On Windows 8 the game crashes if joysticks/gamepads are connected. That bug is fixed in Windows 8.1, available for free in the Windows 8 Store.
    If you don't want to upgrade yet, you can try an unofficial workaround. In short, by downloading and extracting this zip file, and copying the dinput8.dll next to the games .exe, you should be able to use the controller normally. Make sure you delete that dinput8.dll after updating to Windows 8.1, to avoid possible problems in the future.

Hi can you help me? http://www.sendspace.com/file/2ao7ig thanks!

• same here

Ok, I've been trying for way too long to get this to work. Everything seems to match up, I followed all the directions. I still don't get a login option and it won't connect to telltale server. I really don't know what else to do.

This discussion has been closed.