Broken Download Link?

Has anyone not been able to download/install? The link for download on My Games Tab is for a .msi file. Is this normal? I have tried numerous times to download and every time it tells me that Telltale needs to verify that this is a Windows installer file. Any tips??

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Yes, it's an MSI file. That's normal.
    What Windows Version do you have?
    Also please post a screenshot of the error message.

• MattPMattP ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

Some Windows versions (like 8 Home) will alert you that this file is an executable and to make sure you downloaded it from a reputable source as executable files can be harmful to your computer. If you download the installer from our website, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

• I have Windows 7 Home Premium. How do I get your installer?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

You can download it from the "My games tab" as you mentioned in your first post.
    What browser do you use?
    You also have not posted the screenshot of the error message, so I am not sure what exactly is going on.

DarthMar posted: »

I have Windows 7 Home Premium. How do I get your installer?

• I use Internet Explorer, but I have also tried to download using Firefox with the same results. Here is a pic of the error message. Hope it worked :

http://jmp.sh/b/8bY34IJoRSZr2eVi6RZt

• I should also note that every time I download from the My Games tab, it gets interrupted and I have to click resume. My internet connection is very good so I'm also not sure why that is happening.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I was able to cause that error message to show up by changing some bytes at the beginning of the file.
    My best guess is that the file is getting corrupted somehow during download, and the interruption is suspicious too.

Do you have any internet security software running that could be interfering with the download?

It might also be useful to know the IP Addresses of the servers you might be downloading from. Please follow the instructions below:

Press the Windows key. Type in "cmd" and press enter
    Then copy the command line below and paste it into the command window and press enter.
    nslookup cdn.telltalegames.com

Then either post a screenshot of the output, or copy the text into a reply.

I should also note that every time I download from the My Games tab, it gets interrupted and I have to click resume. My internet connection is very good so I'm also not sure why that is happening.

• im trying to download game on mac, it got stuck at 11.6mb now when i stopped download and restarted it its saying the request of url does not exist. help as payed for game

• I do use Norton, but the file always comes up green, so I'm not sure if that is interfering or not. Here is what came up

Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: telltale.vo.llnwd.net
    Addresses: 208.111.168.7
    Aliases: cdn.telltalegames.com

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Does this happen as you click on the link on the my games page?

ausgirl71 posted: »

im trying to download game on mac, it got stuck at 11.6mb now when i stopped download and restarted it its saying the request of url does not exist. help as payed for game

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Thanks. I'm downloading the files from these servers to see if they are corrupted on the server already, but I only get 500KB/s at the moment and it's late in the night here, so it might take a while till i get back to you.

Meanwhile, i suggest you try disabling or uninstalling Norton for the time of the download.
    Or if that doesn't work, do you have any other computer or location you can easily go to and try downloading the file at?

I do use Norton, but the file always comes up green, so I'm not sure if that is interfering or not. Here is what came up Server: UnKnown A

• I'll try disabling Norton for the download and see what happens. I'll also try another PC. Thanks for all the help. Interested to see what you come up with.

DjNDB posted: »

Thanks. I'm downloading the files from these servers to see if they are corrupted on the server already, but I only get 500KB/s at the moment

• Update on Norton....turned off my firewall all together, and my download was still interrupted.

I'll try disabling Norton for the download and see what happens. I'll also try another PC. Thanks for all the help. Interested to see what you come up with.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I downloaded the files from both IPs, and the files are fine and the downloads didn't interrupt. Of course I don't know what else might be going on on the server side, so that test isn't perfect.

If the download from the other PC doesn't work either, I suggest you test the files integrity.
    First download and install Hashcheck.
    Then copy this md5 file into the folder that contains the TheWolfAmongUs.msi.

Finally just double click on the .md5 file for verification and tell us the results.
    Green: File is okay.
    Yellow: File is missing.
    Read: File is corrupt.

Update on Norton....turned off my firewall all together, and my download was still interrupted.

• Just did all that...comes up red and says mismatch

• it did end up downloading, i just retried, but now my issue is when i click on the file downloaded on my Mac it says its not recognised. how do i fix this issue

DjNDB posted: »

Does this happen as you click on the link on the my games page?

• Stupid question but did you make sure to select the mac file as opposed to the pc file on the My Games Tab? I didn't even know that was an option until recently myself.

it did end up downloading, i just retried, but now my issue is when i click on the file downloaded on my Mac it says its not recognised. how do i fix this issue

• yes i picked mac, thats why its a dmg file. it just wont install and comes up with above error

Stupid question but did you make sure to select the mac file as opposed to the pc file on the My Games Tab? I didn't even know that was an option until recently myself.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2013

Okay, that means the file is corrupt after your download, so we finally know why it doesn't start.
    This was on the second PC already, right?
    If that's the case, it might be some software both PCs have in common, or something on the network between you and the server.

I would start with rebooting all network hardware you have, by unplugging the power cable for a moment.

Then start your computer into a clean boot, and try downloading again.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    8. Click on OK
    9. Click Restart.
    10. After reboot, run the download to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your settings by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Just did all that...comes up red and says mismatch

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

That sounds like the file you downloaded might be incomplete or otherwise corrupted. Please delete the file and download it again.

yes i picked mac, thats why its a dmg file. it just wont install and comes up with above error

• It WORKED!! Thank you for all your help! Just to recap, you think it will be ok to change msconfig back to normal settings?

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2013

Awesome.
    Yes, please restore msconfig to the original settings.

We can't know if the problem was fixed by the hardware reboot or the msconfig, but I proposed to do both at the same time, so you wouldn't have to download twice to get a working copy.

It would be helpful if we could track down the exact cause. I still suspect it's Norton.
    If you agree to help tracking it down, please download the file again with normal msconfig settings (but keep your working file). Then run the hashcheck on it again to see if it's okay.
    If it is broken again, please post the exact name and version information of the Norton product.

It WORKED!! Thank you for all your help! Just to recap, you think it will be ok to change msconfig back to normal settings?

• Hello,
    I can't open the .exe. It says : "This application couldn't begin because the file MSVCP100.dll is missing. Reinstalling this application could fix this problem." I tried to uninstall, download and install again a few times, but it always says the same thing when I try to open the game file. I'm on Windows XP. Can you help me, please ?

• OK sorry, I found out. Just had to read the first topic of the support page. Sorry !

• I downloaded it again, and it was still in the red. My Norton is:

Norton Securtiy Suite through Comcast

version 20.4.0.40

If you know exactly where I can get the info you need, let me know.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I don't have access to that version of Norton, but I made tests with
    Norton 360 Version 21.1.0.18
    and
    Norton Internet Security Version 20.4.0.40 (Which is as close as i could get to what you have)

I never had a broken download with it though, so that could be something specific to your version or some other software that was disabled through msconfig. There's no reasonable test I can do on my system anymore at the moment.

You can try another msconfig test, but instead of clicking "disable all" in step 6, just disable Norton. If the download works than, than it's pretty probable that your version is causing the problem.

I downloaded it again, and it was still in the red. My Norton is: Norton Securtiy Suite through Comcast version 20.4.0.40 If you know exactly where I can get the info you need, let me know.

This discussion has been closed.