TWAU Crash on Startup in Windows 8.1

Hello,
I updated my computer to Windows 8.1 today from Windows 8. Here is my current support data http://www.sendspace.com/file/3nfq76.
The game is crashing on startup telling me TheWolfAmongUs.exe has stopped working.

I had previously purchased The Walking Dead and around the time Episode 1 was out I had played about 30 mins of it while running Windows 8. Today, after failing to get TWAU to start up correctly, I tried The Walking Dead and to my surprise that game did not work either. (The other Telltale Game I had installed, Poker NIght 1 did work although I did have it preset to launch in windowed mode.)

Any fix and/or any way to force windowed mode in The Walking Dead or TWAU? (have a feeling like this would help solve the issue seeing as the crash happens after changing my desktop resolution)

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I am not sure what causes this.
    Since you now use Windows 8.1 I would start with deleting the dinput8.dll from
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\The Wolf Among Us
    And any other TTG game you might have copied it to. It's no longer required for the game to run in Windows 8.1, and could cause problems now.

I also notice that there is no savegame folder in the data, which is weird since you played before.
    Please create a new Windows user account with only characters from a-z and try playing there. It's easiest to make this a local account, by selecting "Sign in without a Microsoft account" and "Local account" on account creation.

• I just fired up TWD (Steam Edition) TWAU (TTG Edition) worked for me in win 8.1 64Bit. Did you do a fresh install of win8 before updating to 8.1 via the Windows Store? As a lot of people are having issues with the upgrade via the store a lot seem connected to people turning off UAC.

If you can get a copy of the 8.1 ISO (tools to download are available via legit channels if you know how to) files for your language I would suggest doing a clean install from them using the MAK code what MS has made available and then activating with your Win8 key in 8.1. also make sure you have all the latest drivers installed.

• edited October 2013

I'm not really willing to completely wipe my PC and lose my current program settings and files just to get these games to work...
    I did upgrade via the store with UAC off but haven't encountered many issues, also I'm on 32 bit.

antonyfrn posted: »

I just fired up TWD (Steam Edition) TWAU (TTG Edition) worked for me in win 8.1 64Bit. Did you do a fresh install of win8 before updating to 8

• edited October 2013

I deleted the dinput8.dll and tried running TWAU from a new account named Admin, still encountered the same issue.
    Walking dead did not work on this profile either.

The reason the saves are gone is because I did a fresh install of TWD and removed the save files. (Cloud save was off)

DjNDB posted: »

I am not sure what causes this. Since you now use Windows 8.1 I would start with deleting the dinput8.dll from C:\Program Files\Steam\steama

• you can ignore the spoiler tag on this comment

1upmaster posted: »

I deleted the dinput8.dll and tried running TWAU from a new account named Admin, still encountered the same issue. Walking dead did not work

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I have read that Windows 8.1 might replace installed drivers. Have you tried downloading a graphics driver suitable for your system manually?

I deleted the dinput8.dll and tried running TWAU from a new account named Admin, still encountered the same issue. Walking dead did not work

• Will try now and post results

I have read that Windows 8.1 might replace installed drivers. Have you tried downloading a graphics driver suitable for your system manually?

• Didn't work. Because of errors with this and several other games I am rolling back my PC.

Will try now and post results

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I read at some forum that you might have to verify the game cache files for several games on steam to work again.
    The update seems to change the system a lot. That's probably why it's not distributed via Windows update.
    A fresh installation of Windows 8.1 is supposed to work better though.

Didn't work. Because of errors with this and several other games I am rolling back my PC.

• I'm having similar issues to before with my non-telltale apps, havent bother downloading the telltale apps yet until i got low end games like super hexagon and minecraft fully working.
    The refresh is basically a fresh install and it did not help

I read at some forum that you might have to verify the game cache files for several games on steam to work again. The update seems to change

• Although other apps are fine TWD and TWAU are both having the same issue of crashing during startup.

I'm having similar issues to before with my non-telltale apps, havent bother downloading the telltale apps yet until i got low end games like super hexagon and minecraft fully working. The refresh is basically a fresh install and it did not help

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Are you back on Windows 8 now?
    Either way, please run the support tool again, so i can see the current state.

Although other apps are fine TWD and TWAU are both having the same issue of crashing during startup.

• DjNDB posted: »

Are you back on Windows 8 now? Either way, please run the support tool again, so i can see the current state.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I fear I am unable to identify a cause. I still believe it is graphics driver related, but if installing a graphics driver from AMD hasn't helped, I don't know what else to try.
    Did you try a fresh Windows 8.1 installation?

On Windows 8.1 http://www.sendspace.com/file/dot1xg

• Yes, I guess I will just have to wait for the next driver update and try again

I fear I am unable to identify a cause. I still believe it is graphics driver related, but if installing a graphics driver from AMD hasn't helped, I don't know what else to try. Did you try a fresh Windows 8.1 installation?

This discussion has been closed.