Xbox 360 controller won't work, please help!

I was really excited about this game and playing it on my PC with my new little USB thingy which lets me use my wireless Xbox 360 controller. Much to my dismay when I launched the game it immediately crashed on me everytime my controller was on, I searched for solutions and found a fix which meant I had to download a dll-file and put it in the Steam game folder for the game. That solved part of my problem, the game now launches without crashing but it refuses to recognize my controller! :(

I'm immensely disappointed by this and don't know what to do, since I feel like this game is supposed to be played using a controller for best experience and on their Steam-store page Telltale advertise this as having "full controller support". I've tried to find a fix but I didn't find anything. On different forums it seems like the controller works for some people (nearly everyone that uses Win 7) but it doesn't work for a lot of people who use Win 8 (as I do). Please, pretty please with a sugar-coated cherry on top, can anyone help me?

Comments

• Use a wired controller?

• I don't have a wired controller. I'm not about to run out and purchase one just for the sake of ONE game and to be honest I don't think I should have to when they advertise it with "full controller support" (and I didn't see anything about it having to be a wired one on their store page).

Just for the record, I'm not hating or anything! :) I love Telltale games, this just made me disappointed because I really want to play this game with my controller since it's more comfortable.

Use a wired controller?

• Don't waste money on Microsoft products.

• I completely understand how you feel and I would feel the same way under your circumstances.. But aren't wired xbox controllers more reliable on PC than wireless?

• Thank you, I was scared I'd come across as whiny when I didn't mean to. :)

I've never tried a wired xbox controller, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. My wireless one works fine on all the games I've played on the PC (running Windows 8) so far, mostly Super Meat Boy, Electronic Super Joy, The Stanley Parable, mostly indie games now when I think about it.

I completely understand how you feel and I would feel the same way under your circumstances.. But aren't wired xbox controllers more reliable on PC than wireless?

• I personally only have a wired controller for my PC so I don't know about the wireless ones. Sorry that I can't be more help.

catcult posted: »

Thank you, I was scared I'd come across as whiny when I didn't mean to. I've never tried a wired xbox controller, so I really don't have a

• im pretty sure your problem in bluetooth adapter or win8. I've never expected any problem with my wireless logitech f710 on win7

• Yeah, this doesn't seem to be an issue with Win 7. But I hope there is some work-around for it to work with Windows 8, considering the wireless controller work with all other indie games [that I've played so far] that have full controller support. Thank you for your suggestion though, appreciate it.

Istibul posted: »

im pretty sure your problem in bluetooth adapter or win8. I've never expected any problem with my wireless logitech f710 on win7

• edited November 2013

I THINK the problem may be fixed if you update to Win 8.1.

I'm not a tech expert though, so maybe wait for confirmation of that before you rush out and install the update.

Disclaimer: Moderators on this forum are volunteers from the community and are not employees of the company. Our posts merely express our personal opinion and should not be mistaken for official company statements.

• Thank you for your reply! I think I'll wait until I see someone confirm that before I take the plunge.

I THINK the problem may be fixed if you update to Win 8.1. I'm not a tech expert though, so maybe wait for confirmation of that before you

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2013

The crash when controllers are connected is indeed a windows 8 issue that's fixed in windows 8.1.
    Only wired xbox 360 controllers are officially supported though.
    I don't know which dinput8.dll you tried, but this one is known to work with wired controllers on Win 8. It should give you the best chance to work with the wireless too, but I am not saying it will work...

catcult posted: »

Thank you for your reply! I think I'll wait until I see someone confirm that before I take the plunge.

This discussion has been closed.