Still issues with TWAU and TWD on Windows 8.1

Hello, I had an unresolved issue with both The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead.

Both games have been crashing as soon as they start up in the Steam version.
I was able to play The Walking Dead about a year ago on my PC when it was running Windows 8.
Now I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 and neither games work. I have done a system refresh and it has had no effect.
My current video drivers are from April and they don't seem like they will be updated any time soon.

Please help! I really want to play these two games and would rather not have to wait until I get a new PC to do so.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mb9m7c

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Available OS Memory: 2042MB RAM
    Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670
    Display Memory: 1020 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 252 MB
    Shared Memory: 768 MB

I am wondering if it could be an issue with insufficient memory. Your system has only 2GB RAM, and half of it is even used for your internal graphics. Based on that I can't explain why it did work on Windows 8 though.

Either way I have two things that are worth trying:

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, your Steam icons, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode settings.
    Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
    Afterwards try if the game works.

If you made absolutely sure, that the method mentioned above didn't work to disable it, you can try disabling it in the registry.

Please also try running the game during a clean boot.

Booting clean in Windows 8.x:
    1. At the start screen, type in "msconfig" and press enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. If running the game on Steam, re-check the "Steam Client Service"
    8. Click on OK
    9. Click Restart.
    10. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your settings by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer
  • I've had the same issue with TWD, however nothing I've tried has worked so far. I don't own TWAU, and therefore I do not know if it works or not.
    My computer specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz
    8 GB RAM
    2560 MB Dedicated Video Memory
    4030 MB Shared System Memory
    AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series Video Card
    Intel(R) Display Audio Sound Card

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I can take a look.

Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

I've had the same issue with TWD, however nothing I've tried has worked so far. I don't own TWAU, and therefore I do not know if it works or n

• I would like to say thanks in advance for the support. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/53kudc

DjNDB posted: »

I can take a look. Please follow the instructions to run the TWD Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWD_support_data_pc.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

P1: WalkingDead101.exe
    P4: igdumdim32.dll

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    Name: AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series

You have two graphics chips, and the game crashes because it uses the Intel chips. Please check your graphics drivers settings to make sure the game uses the Nvidia graphics chip.

Please also rename the prefs.prop in
    C:\Users\Trevor\Desktop\SteamApps\common\The Walking Dead\Pack\default
    to prefs.prop.bak to deactivate it.
    Otherwise you might also run into savegame issues sooner or later.

I would like to say thanks in advance for the support. Any help is appreciated. http://www.sendspace.com/file/53kudc

• Thank you again, but unfortunately I am no computer expert. I do not know how I may change my graphics driver settings to make TWD use the Nvidia graphics chip. Is there anything that you can tell me about how to do this, or where I might find out?

P1: WalkingDead101.exe P4: igdumdim32.dll Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Name: AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series You have

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I was stupid. You have an AMD graphics chip. I don't know, because it's different for various systems and I don't have one of these. It should be configurable somewhere in the Catalyst Control Center as described here.

Thank you again, but unfortunately I am no computer expert. I do not know how I may change my graphics driver settings to make TWD use the Nvidia graphics chip. Is there anything that you can tell me about how to do this, or where I might find out?

• That did it! Man, I really appreciate all of this. I can't thank you enough. I was worried for a bit that when season 2 came out I wouldn't be able to play it. No worries now. I can't thank you enough.

I was stupid. You have an AMD graphics chip. I don't know, because it's different for various systems and I don't have one of these. It should be configurable somewhere in the Catalyst Control Center as described here.

• Neither of those worked.

Available OS Memory: 2042MB RAM Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 Display Memory: 1020 MB Dedicated Memory: 252 MB Shared Mem

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

This is a tough one. One more thing you could try is unplugging all USB devices, and making sure that your integrated sound is active.

1upmaster posted: »

Neither of those worked.

• I've had the same problems with TWD season 1 and 2, and The Wolf Among Us, here's the download link for the file hoster
    https://mega.co.nz/#!AVdy1ISY!cw5mIRjvv1GyZydFrN4gT5E8AlpNXA-wNU2jxzzhEdQ

This discussion has been closed.