360 Controller - Right Analog stick problem

Hi

Just started The Wolf Among Us last night - really enjoyed what I've played so far - but there appears to be a problem with the right analog stick when using a wired Xbox 360 controller.

Every time I move the right stick in a direction, the cursor shoots off into a corner or zigzags over the screen like it has a mind of its own. :(

Never had this problem in The Walking Dead

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Please follow the instructions to run the TWAU Support Tool and post the download link to the resulting "TWAU_support_data_pc.zip" or "TWAU_support_data_mac.zip" to your next reply in this thread.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I don't see anything unusual. Does it still work properly in The Walking Dead?

Okay, here it is: http://www.sendspace.com/file/lkxhm9

• Yep. Works fine in The Walking Dead.

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

I don't know what would causes that, so you can only try some things. It might be some weird interaction of input devices, so you could try unplugging the mouse or other devices before starting the game.

Yep. Works fine in The Walking Dead.

• Yep, tried that too. I switched my mouse off, unplugged my phone charger, removed my wireless adapter... same problem. "/

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

Does it happen in every chapter of the game, or just at some spots?
    Can you test if it also happens on a different computer with the same controller, or with a different controller on yours?

Yep, tried that too. I switched my mouse off, unplugged my phone charger, removed my wireless adapter... same problem. "/

• To my understanding it happens throughout the game; the sections I've tested seem to suggest so anyway. I tested my knock off PlayStation 3 controller and the right analog stick doesn't work at all. Apart from that, the game seems to think it's my 360 controller plugged in.

Sadly I don't believe any of the other computers in the house are powerful enough to handle the game, but I do have a dual boot system with XP on that I'll try.

• I can confirm that it's perfectly fine under XP, so there's clearly something wrong under Windows 7 somewhere

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator

It's not a widespread issue though. I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem and it works fine on my Win7 System. The difficult part is narrowing down what causes it. It could be a hardware or software problem.

Something you can try is running the game during a clean boot (see below). That would rule out other software running in the background interfering in some way.

That doesn't disable any potentially weird drivers though. I am not sure if running windows in safe mode would be able to start the game at all, but that would disable most drivers. It probably wouldn't work without a proper graphics driver still enabled.

The most useful test would be a fresh windows 7 installation on the same hardware. If it works it's a software problem, if it doesn't it's hardware related. That's a last resort of course and only an option for experienced users with the appropriate resources.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. If running the game on Steam, re-check the "Steam Client Service"
    8. Click on OK
    9. Click Restart.
    10. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your settings by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Type msconfig --> Press Enter
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer
  • I fresh install of Windows 7 won't be happening anytime soon, that's for sure. I've only recently installed Windows 7 after having Windows 8 pre-installed.

I'll try what you've suggested though.

• edited December 2013

I'm afraid that didn't help. HOWEVER. I decided to install the official Windows 7 drivers for the controller and that didn't do anything either. Then, I decided to re-calibrate the controls and whaddya know - it works! I can finally move the cursor around without it moving all over the place on its own! :D

Thank you for all your help and suggestions! :)

This discussion has been closed.