so how much can episode 1 sell?

edited July 2006 in Sam & Max
my conservative guestimate is 100, 000. All those sam and max fans are still out there, the game is gonna be pretty cheap..and it will send a nice big F U to Lucasarts :)

Comments

• edited June 2006
    Indeed, that figure should be possible. There were about 30-40,000 people who signed the petition to uncancel Sam & Max, I think. Add to that Bone and CSI fans (and the Texas Hold'Em fans of course) who may have become interested in Telltale Games, readers of the Sam & Max comics, and other adventure nerds, and I think 100,000 is not a bad estimate at all... schaweet!
  • edited June 2006
    Yeah.. but we have to deduct the pirate percentage... whitch is i think 51%

so we can expect about 49.000 sold... hmm... let's say they sell at $10 each... that would be $490k... each month...

despite me not realising the high costs of wages for the programmers, management, cleaners, maintenance, all around geniuses, graphics designers, wealders, stapelers, spokesperson-s, rent for a small apartment, rent for the intermediate apartment and rent for the offices where telltale works, i'd say... not bad :D

Edit: you sure you got enough servers to accomodate those kinds of numbers at a relatively high speed? (about 200MBps, that's 1600Mbps per user?)
  • edited June 2006
    despite me not realising the high costs of wages for the ... all around geniuses

Their paying me too???
  • edited June 2006
    Well quite a few of my friends who lean towards piratey material consider buying S&M Episode 1 a worthy 'investment' if you will. As long as it's not too expensive, they'll buy it for the sake of it being made at all.
  • edited June 2006
    I think if people actually obtained illegal copies of the game after 2 sam and max games have been cancelled..that would be disgraceful [>:)]
  • edited July 2006
    Here is a question whitch for the sake of this thread not getting locked and people admitting illegal acts should remain unanswered... so... don't answer it!!

who many games have YOU illegaly copied?

i'm "preety" sire even our fine folks at telltale have illegaly copied ATLEAST one game... and i'm preety sure the police officers that work in the department of piracy have pirated software before... that's why 51% of all software is pirated... (tho the number is decreasing by 1% every year... :D :D )
  • edited July 2006
    That's a bit off-topic already.
  • edited July 2006
    That's a bit off-topic already.

I like balloons.

But seriously. Is 51% percent even close to accurate? Maybe if you count all the people in poor countries who I think they are owed free entertainment simply because it costs too much where they live. I think Telltale's online activation system is better than that and should thwart a great deal of piracy. Unless you know something I don't. Otherwise, people have no choice but to buy the game or get GameTap if they want to play the Sam & Max episodes. Ka-ching$!$!
  • edited July 2006
    I like balloons.
    I've always liked... rainbows.
  • edited July 2006
    I've always liked... rainbows.

I like rainbows too. Not drawed rainbows or anything like that, but the real ones, wonders of nature.

That said, we will know the answer to this topic in less than 3 months! We should start a countdown thread soon!

Sam & Max are coming! Everyone hide!!
  • edited July 2006
    I like dogs...

http://skrynklig_hund.istheshit.net/ <- Yes, it´s me holding the dog)
    (Perhaps Sam as a puppy?)
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2006
    This is not exactly on-topic, but... I was reading a King's Quest article on a retro gaming website the other day, and Ken Williams was quoted saying that King's Quest 6 sold 400,000 copies in the first week. That just blew my mind. (Remember, that was in 1992!)

Compare that to The Longest Journey, which Funcom says has sold about 500,000 copies since it came out in 1999... seven years ago now.

TLJ has had a great run and it's still available new at retail (not a budget rerelease), which is pretty much unheard of for any PC game. Still - I can't believe those KQ6 numbers. Unless Ken was mistaken in the interview.

Nothing to do with Sam & Max sales, of course... but I wouldn't complain if we sold 400,000 copies in the first week! :))
  • edited July 2006
    Criminy, I wonder how much 1-5 had sold up to that point.
  • edited July 2006
    well Sam & Max Hit The Road sold very well for LucasArts.. If we include all the people that didnt purchase the game..broowed a friends copy etc etc.. I think the game would have reached in the millions all over the world... Where those people are now and getting them to a) discover theirs a new smnmx game 13 years later and buy it is the challenge... If we draw a comparison with independant music.. a good album will continue to sell well..as people find ti many years after it was released... If 350, 000 downloaded the bone demo..why cant those people purchase a relatively cheap sam and max game..

Also once the gaming press gets on board and the awareness gets up you never know how well Sam and Max could do..
  • edited July 2006
    Even if the game gets crap reviews, I'd still buy it as a FU towards Lucasarts. Adventure games not profitable? Make 'm regret that they never chose for the episodic model.
  • edited July 2006
    I will buy ONE!
  • edited July 2006
    I will subscribe to GameTap and play each one as they're released, and then buy the full season if they release it on physical media. I think that's how I'll be doing this.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.