Duncan and Royland might be a metaphor for Democrats and Republicans (Spoilers for chapters 1-5)

edited October 2015 in Game Of Thrones

I just came with this retaliation today. Even there names start with D and R. On the left we have Duncan who believes diplomacy is always the answer even when dealing with brutes like The Balaton. Then you have Royland, a war harden conservative that bevies in fighting is more effective when dealing with people who mean to destroy you.

Being more of a conservative... I took a liking to Royland... but knew he had to be kept on a tight leash lest the whole house would go down. Duncan seemed like a timid and navie fool. Haveing watched game of thrones and knowing the mentality of Westeros, I knew that a mixture of diplomacy and brutality was necessary to insure House Forester survive and retain its power in a Bolton controlled North.

I think this might have been intentional, and I think it was executed brilliantly. Game of thrones is a political show... and even though its way different than American politics, liberal and conservative philosophies have been around for centuries. Having two extremities whispering was frustrating... but that was the whole point. I feel like I made the right choice with Duncan... and with the war looming in the final chapter and Asher and Duncan both dead... I believe house Forester will have both Diplomacy and Strength on its side with Rodrick and Roland in charge... (Assuming Telltale isn't going to Red Wedding Us in the final episode)

Comments

• The Boltons*?

• How is Duncan dead if you chose him?

And although both men are different extremes, I really don't think it is symbolic of America's broken bipartisan system.

• Yeah, no kidding. /thread

How is Duncan dead if you chose him? And although both men are different extremes, I really don't think it is symbolic of America's broken bipartisan system.

• Dear god i'm a Republican !!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

• Can I just say Liberals and Conservatives haven't been around for century's most democratic parties appeal from the sides of wealth and poverty e.g. Labour and Conservative (Not republican) this is the same for many European countries but anyway, lets all agree Game of Thrones is awesome.

• I suppose you fully support the actions taken by the bush administration then?

• I thought it was completely obvious :P, personally i'm a proud liberal shit, which quite comes together with me choosing mostly Duncan.

• I'm liberal on most issues but I still found Royland preferable.

Also, in the U.S both the Republican and Democratic parties are right-wing, especially when compared to (Democratic) Republics everywhere else on the planet. We really don't have a major left-wing party (various independents are, but until we fix our bipartisan system that doesn't matter much) so having Duncan be Dem. and Royland Rep. doesn't work because it's not a choice of: Right-wing or very right-wing.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.