Other platforms

2»

Comments

• edited November 2004
    Yup. Macs have a proud history of great adventure games, please let us mac users share in their future :D
  • edited November 2004
    I think Mac OS X with it's *BSD base has opened up a lot of possibilities for cross platform gaming, not to mention the extra publicity for the open source libraries.

I've got quite a large selection of Mac games and of those most of my respect goes to those companies who have released multi platform discs. Blizzard and Cyan (the Myst guys) to name a couple.

The ScummVM project helped to point out to folks that the same game files could be used on many different operating systems (and I loved being able to dig out all my old PC adventure game discs :) ).

One of the financial downsides, of course, is that you need a much wider testing plan. So I'd just like to put my hand up now for any Mac alpha releases TTG want to throw out there.

Please release for Mac... we'll buy them!
  • edited November 2004
    lol

i would like to see a MS-Dos port :p
  • edited June 2005
    Just out of curiosity, have any of you Linux folks had any experience or luck using DXGL?

If I'm not mistaken, dxgl is pretty much dead. Most people just use wine, cedega, or crossover office.

Porting:
    As far as porting goes, I think opengl, sdl, and openal(if you're using 3d audio) are the best things to go with in respect to macosx and linux. Directx is probably easier to port to XBox, though, and I have no idea about all the other consoles. I do know that Longhorn will probably being using OpenAL for 3d audio so the XBox 360 might be too.

There has to be some adventure fans/programmers who would be more than happy to do some porting if it means they get to play the games. The ScummVM team seems quite capable of porting games when they don't have the source code, so I can imagine they might not have any problem when the source code is available. You can always contact them anyway, just to see how they feel about it.

If the engine is open sourced, then I have no doubt that a linux and/or mac osx port would pop up shortly afterwards. If open sourcing the engine does not seem like a viable strategy considering the method of validating the registration, then maybe there could be a binary module that handles the copyright protection?

I do miss my Texas Hold'em when I'm in linux.

Out of curiosity, does Telltale use LUA scripting? I know that DoubleFine does, and I'm guessing they kind of inherited that from using the Grime engine.

BTW, this:
    MI 4 And Grim fandago worked fine with me in ScummVM
    is a lie.

The ScummVM team's residual VM isn't quite finished yet. MI3 and all the other Lucas Arts Adventures work fine though. Wasn't sure that was totally cleared up.
  • edited June 2005
    I too would like to volunteer for testing for Macs! I run a 1.25 Ghz eMac with 10.3.8
Sign in to comment in this discussion.