The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

God I love this series

• edited May 2022

Trailer for Elizabeth Ito's latest short film, Mall Stories. Like her previous works, Welcome to My Life and City of Ghosts, it's an interview styled slice of life animated short. It's about an actual restaurant called the Mongolian Grill in Burbank Mall and features the voices of the employees who work there. It's also premiering in Fortnite because it was animated in the Unreal Engine and it's being supported by Epic, which is great for her! I assume it'll make its way to YouTube soon after.

I hope she eventually gets to work with a studio that won't completely screw her over.

• edited May 2022

Trailer for Elizabeth Ito's latest short film, Mall Stories. Like her previous works, Welcome to My Life and City of Ghosts, it's an interview styled slice of life animated short.

Doctor, I require an injection of this, right now.

I hope she eventually gets to work with a studio that won't completely screw her over.

I'm with you on that.
    Fortnite's doing that Short Nite event again this week. Awesome to see her work featured there. I've been taking a break from the game for now, but I'll gladly jump in to watch it and support this.
    edit: Just learned I missed the event. It ended monday :(

lupinb0y posted: »

Trailer for Elizabeth Ito's latest short film, Mall Stories. Like her previous works, Welcome to My Life and City of Ghosts, it's an intervi

• Fuck Amber Heard and fuck everyone who defends her ass.

• Yeah, I also don't have strong feelings about this game. Everything about it was just decent. I don't see anything groundbreaking about it, most of the game takes place in the woods and I was already getting tired of the flashing enemies to kill them. I recently finished Control and I think it was much better than this game, at least gameplay wise.

Edit: Oh, terrible lip syncing, a protagonist that can also control the reality in front of them, a plot about a missing person, and an overuse of internal thoughts/monologue from the main character. Jesus Christ, how much did Life is Strange rip off from Alan Wake?

No wonder how similar the LIS opening is to Alan Wake's.

However, despite being so meh about this one, I am actually curious what Alan Wake 2 is going to deliver because Remedy confirmed the sequel will be the very first survival horror game they have ever made.

Halfway through Alan Wake, and to be honest, I’m just not feeling it. Sure the intrigue is there, but it all just feels like a chore to play

• Objection, hearsay

AronDracula posted: »

Fuck Amber Heard and fuck everyone who defends her ass.

• Bit of a question for anyone who played Wonderlands as I figured I would get it sometime down the road, but what would you say your overall impression with it was? From what I can tell it seems most say the gameplay actually improved pretty well but the writing and story although better than 3 still continues to be pretty weak.

However I mainly wanted to ask because what I've seen the most consistent is the really bad DLC and Season pass. Apparently the DLC is mainly designed like Takedowns but now you have to pay for 10 minutes of content? I saw the first DLC got a ton of hate for that due to the price and how little content it was, but I just saw a trailer for the next one and it looks like they are 100% sticking to doing extremely over priced DLC for this game. I know that is pretty much Gearbox bread and butter but that is pretty disappointing and honestly pretty shockingly blatant overpricing.

• Dragon Prince fans, we might get some news about Netflix's Dragon Prince show next month!

This sizzle reel of their Geeked Week event briefly shows off the title card of DP near the end. Seems hopeful.

Umbrella Academy Season 3 looks fun, and it's coming so soon!

Love Death and Robots is coming even sooner and they released the full episode of the Three Robots sequel!
    I'll wait till it's actually out since its so short. Might be good news they're interested in it's popularity though!

• edited May 2022

Gameplay wise it’s pretty standard Borderlands. Shoot ‘em, loot ‘em, that sort of stuff. There are some improvements that I really liked, such as actually getting to create your character and upgrading/leveling up being a bit more like an RPG (points to Constitution, Strength, that type of stuff). You can also pick two classes for your character, each with their own skill tree (which is both a pro and con, considering that the game caps out at 40 and there’s too many skills and not enough points). However, it’s WAY more grindy. The loot system is tied into these dice, and there’s like 20 throughout every single map, and they boost your luck only marginally. Throughout the entire main campaign, I think I got like two legendaries. Even beating boss battles towards the end of the game, it was mostly white and green weapons. And even when I did get some legendaries at the end of the game, with no New Game+, it felt like there was no point to really go and get more or use them. Which is weird because BL3 dropped legendaries pretty frequently, so they went in the complete opposite direction here. How you travel throughout the world is cool, but the side missions get pretty repetitive and turn into a bunch of “go here, face 1-3 waves of enemies, and retrieve this for me.”

Story is fine, better than 3 and the villain is better, but the whole thing they’re going for is incredibly underutilized. It’s trying to do what Assault on Dragon Keep did, but not nearly with as much talent to make it work. Humor, I can at least say there’s a lot less poop/turd farmer jokes in this one. There’s one moment in particular that is perhaps one of the funniest moments I’ve ever seen in Borderlands, but other than that, it’s like BL3 where it’s really hit and miss, with a lot of miss.

It does look like the DLC is nothing but that. Which is why I’m super happy I only bought the base game and not the season pass, because from the beginning it felt like they would go cheap on it. They want you to see this as a full fledged game with its own DLC stuff, but it’s really not. It’s a spinoff that they’re trying to convince you to buy the season pass for $20 extra with barely any content to it. So yeah, pretty blatant overpricing and extortion.

I’d say the game is like a 6/10, no higher or lower. However, Borderlands feels like it’s becoming so one dimensional. Like, the magic is gone, and the people they have that are taking it over know how to press the buttons, but not what the buttons do. It feels like Borderlands has been Flanderized. They keyed in on certain traits of what people loved about BL2, and just hammered those constantly to the point of beating a dead horse, without truly understanding why we liked those moments. I’ll use Torgue as an example. He would be loud and curse occasionally in BL2, but they achieved a good balance, even in his DLC. But now, it’s always just screaming and cursing. Every sentence he speaks has a censor in it, so they took a small part of that characters and made it his entire thing. Vaughn, same thing, one joke about having good abs and that became his schtick.They’re doing that not only with these characters, but the series itself. It feels soulless.

Poogers555 posted: »

Bit of a question for anyone who played Wonderlands as I figured I would get it sometime down the road, but what would you say your overall

• I can agree with Borderlands feeling like it is becoming a lot more one note. Also starting to feel like Gearbox has decided to be way more focused on making Borderlands content with no breaks as BL is their most successful IP, which feels like it is getting milked more and more. We'll be going from BL3 to the DLC to Wonderlands to New Tales and then Borderlands 4 is seemingly also being worked on right now. Feeling a lot of quantity over quality. I do hope their Tales game can at least start to pick up writing wise as that probably is the most disappointing thing for me. The world and characters feel so boring lately so I hope when focusing on a story game they can actually have something that feels a bit more narratively rich. (Though I do honestly have my doubts. It seems an excuse commonly given for why the writing isn't as good is because the game focuses on the action gameplay more than narrative, but everyone seemingly forgot that BL2's writing is actually super well done just like the gameplay. Just kind of feels like now BL content is just being rushed out the door.)

Gameplay wise it’s pretty standard Borderlands. Shoot ‘em, loot ‘em, that sort of stuff. There are some improvements that I really liked, su

• Oh, now HBO decided to add subtitles to The Leftovers on HBO max. Found out just now, only to have my subscription about to expire in 3 days. Thanks, HBO.

• Ironically gonna bring this up after saying it is best to ignore it, but I was reading a bit about the Clem comic and it all feels pretty messy from how it ever began. Part of it I assume will be because people couldn't let something go and were begging for a continuation even though it already ended, but I do find it odd that it was recently confirmed the author was seemingly chosen despite having no familiarity with the games or character and was scouted out rather than them applying/reaching out to write it. I also 100% don't believe someone in a situation like that wouldn't be able to write something good, you don't need to be some life long fan to join in and come up with interesting stories in a universe.

I did read that first issue comic and it was pretty awkward. It wasn't very good and best way I can describe it would be it felt robotic, no one exactly felt like they were a real person, but more like something trying to imitate one.
    (Zuckerberg-y) Although I do think it is pretty easy to ignore a lot of this story due to it being a comic thus a very different media form than a game. When I read it I wasn't really thinking of it as a continuation and in my mind it is really more of a "what if" kind of thing. But I can understand why people have trouble with that, I am sure part of it is I personally feel so tired of twd I find it hard to feel that same investment anymore. That said I really don't think it is fair to blame it all on the author. Realty is stuff like this has so many stages nothing can ever be blamed on one person, and I also feel like "blame" makes critic become way more negative than constructive. It is easily something I wish I understood better before. The whole comic thing has made me sort of look back TFS and I feel like my opinion has changed on it. It still isn't really my favorite but for what it was, it was pretty good overall. I definitely wish I wasn't as harsh on it back then. The full comic still isn't out, so who knows, maybe it will turn out to be pretty good, but I hope people don't get too up in arms about it. I feel it can pretty easily get out of hand and you may not even notice how far it went.

Anyway I dont know why I wanted to write all that. Basically I think twd is a pretty good example of stuff going on too long or something

• also next wolf 2 info predictions make your bets i wanna know your predictions and bets

• Also ironically, I was trying to take your advice and just not talk about it (at least here). I had seen parts of the interview with Tillie where she said Skybound approached her for a Clem comic and she had absolutely no idea who she was or what the games were. To learn, she played through the games "really fast" (her words). From what we know about the interview and what was given, while I will not fully absolve Tillie for her parts because, at the end of the day, she voluntarily accepted the job and made the story what it is, it's not like she was set up for success by Skybound. They're the ones that reached out to her about something she had no familiarity with, and you expect her to just quickly pick up on everything and churn out a story concerning a beloved character who had a conclusive ending?

Way I see it, both sides are to blame. Skybound for not ensuring that who they got knew the series and would respect the characters and story, and Tillie for ultimately accepting the project despite not being up for the part and making the story. Once she accepted the job, it is her responsibility to make sure it works out. On numerous occasions, I've been assigned projects at work despite having little to no knowledge about what the topic is. It's my responsibility to research and execute to my ability with that knowledge the best results possible. If it fails, it's on me, just as if this fails, it is on Tillie, especially when she had more choice and a say than people like me do. She could have said no and turned the offer down when Skybound came to her, sighting that she wasn't the best person for the job, but she agreed anyway. So while I will now hold Skybound more accountable, I just can't fully absolve Tillie here, the blame shifts slightly, but not entirely.

Ironically gonna bring this up after saying it is best to ignore it, but I was reading a bit about the Clem comic and it all feels pretty me

• I still think ignoring it is probably for the best, I don't really see myself talking much about it past this unless something else happens and it becomes hard to ignore it in an ironic way. But like I said that obviously feels different for other people.

And yes it would be nicer if the story and writing was better and yes that does fall on the author to tell a good story, but end of the day the full comic isn't out yet. It is possible it goes in a unique direction. But I understand doubts as I know I do, seeing how it just wipes everything clean again and is seemingly rehashing TFS and its themes and the pages that have released were not very good. It is pretty likely and I feel pretty safe in predicting the full comic is not going to be received very well. But like I was saying, flubs like that happen far more than because of one person and it does kind of suck seeing someone being thrown under the bus constantly as if their master plan was to "ruin everything" the games did. Like I was saying earlier, it becomes pretty easy to gang up without realizing it. I just think the whole situation of what the comic is and how it is being done and how it came to be was a real mess, so end of the day I think ignoring it would be best for most people who don't like what they are seeing.

Also ironically, I was trying to take your advice and just not talk about it (at least here). I had seen parts of the interview with Tillie

• And yes it would be nicer if the story and writing was better and yes that does fall on the author to tell a good story, but end of the day the full comic isn't out yet. It is possible it goes in a unique direction.

Most of us thought the same thing as The Walking Dead A New Frontier when the first 2 episodes were out. I was thinking maybe the whole game would be good if we gave the rest of the episodes a chance and that it would be wrong to have full thoughts on the games based on only the first episodes. Then the whole season was finished and it wasn't worth it at all in the end.

The Halo TV show is another example of an adaptation with almost zero possibilities of a redemption because it was already confirmed by the showrunners that they did no research on the games. As a Halo virgin myself, when I think of Master Chief, I never would think of him having sort of a character outside his iconic armor and just sleep with some chick outside of the action sequences.

Just saying that when an adaptation of your favorite games starts out insanely bad, there is almost no going back. And you are right, it's better to just move on to something better.

I still think ignoring it is probably for the best, I don't really see myself talking much about it past this unless something else happens

• I still find it wild that in TFTB when Rhys takes out his Echo Eye, you think he's gonna gouge out his whole eye, but instead he pulls out the lens. It's such a weird way to get rid of it lol.

• The Halo TV show is another example of an adaptation with almost zero possibilities of a redemption because it was already confirmed by the showrunners that they did no research on the games

I'm not gonna talk about the overall quality of the show, but that statement it's false I don't know why fans keep saying it.

And yes it would be nicer if the story and writing was better and yes that does fall on the author to tell a good story, but end of the day

• If a recent dream of mine is of any indication, this timeline should be one where Wolf 2 gets good reviews...

Yeah, Idk. Had some dream recently that involved 4 Wolf 2 episodes being released, being rated pretty average, and then the finale came out and it was rated some pretty poor 3s and 4s.
    Also it was presented in Black, White and Red.

also next wolf 2 info predictions make your bets i wanna know your predictions and bets

• my guy playin wolf 2 on virtual boy

AChicken posted: »

If a recent dream of mine is of any indication, this timeline should be one where Wolf 2 gets good reviews... Yeah, Idk. Had some dream r

• but that statement it's false I don't know why fans keep saying it.

What does this mean then?
    https://www.thegamer.com/halo-showrunner-didnt-look-at-the-game/

The Halo TV show is another example of an adaptation with almost zero possibilities of a redemption because it was already confirmed by the

• Only one episode of Owl House before the season is over and it's just the three specials left.

Spoiler because the gif is too damn big.

• AronDracula posted: »

but that statement it's false I don't know why fans keep saying it. What does this mean then? https://www.thegamer.com/halo-showrunner-didnt-look-at-the-game/

• ummm, wut?

https://twitter.com/mrstevenkane/status/1506421683841757 https://variety.com/2022/tv/features/halo-series-paramount-plus-master-chief-1235205361/

• Whatever it was is gone now.

ummm, wut?

• You know, once every couple of months, I just randomly end up reminding myself "Where the hell is that Lee and Clem statue Skybound promised us?" Seriously, it's been over 2 years at this point, what the fuck? At this rate, all 3 books in the Clementine comics are going to be out before we hear anything else about it.

This has to be one of the biggest colossal fucks ups I have seen in a good while. I don't care about Covid and supply chain issues, there is absolutely no excuse for how long this has taken.

• Looks like you got Todd Howarded. Sorry that this happened.

You know, once every couple of months, I just randomly end up reminding myself "Where the hell is that Lee and Clem statue Skybound promised

• I finished A Plague Tale: Innocence. And it was fucking awesome. This game has exceeded all of my expectations and it instantly became one of my favorite games of all time. I hate myself for not playing this game very soon. I wasn't sure which 2019 game I liked more, either Resident Evil 2 or Sekiro Shadows Die Twice. Now I have the winner here. If you want to hear my full thoughts on game, click on my review here (It's Spoiler-Free).

https://ggapp.io/Aron_Blue/reviews/a-plague-tale-innocence/iVsr8IrI

• Glad you really enjoyed it.

I'm very excited for the sequel, but I'm not too sure where they'd go from that point.

Also really cool to see it's the same people behind the Ratatouille video game (also the WALL-E game). It's also a game of my childhood and loooved.
    (I wasn't much good at it -- I had to activate the invincibility cheat code to beat both of them, but I remember really liking them)

I finished A Plague Tale: Innocence. And it was fucking awesome. This game has exceeded all of my expectations and it instantly became one o

• Clearly they have to go for hordes of spiders this time, for maximum ew

Glad you really enjoyed it. I'm very excited for the sequel, but I'm not too sure where they'd go from that point. Also really cool to

• Now that's... a nice thought before bed

lupinb0y posted: »

Clearly they have to go for hordes of spiders this time, for maximum ew

• I've just started that game and I'm really enjoying the story so far :> I wouldn't say it's one of my most favourite games of all time but it's definitely up there.

I finished A Plague Tale: Innocence. And it was fucking awesome. This game has exceeded all of my expectations and it instantly became one o

• So, I have played and finished Firewatch for the first time recently. Got it from Game Pass and beat it in just one sitting. And...it was good. Just an enjoyable one-time experience and that's all there is to it.

• It gets better with each chapter but here is a heads-up: the last chapters are gonna be a little bit challenging and sometimes frustrating because they are action-packed.

Melton23 posted: »

I've just started that game and I'm really enjoying the story so far :> I wouldn't say it's one of my most favourite games of all time but it's definitely up there.

• he's unstoppable now. oh no.

he's unstoppable now. oh no.

• edited May 2022

Netflix and Sony will be partnering on a Horizon series. I am mixed on this and feel as though it can go either way. Like with it's live action Avatar series, I am cautiously optimistic.

EDIT: Oh shit, they're also doing a God of War series with Amazon.

• edited May 2022

Welp, I feel so biased right now because I recently bought A Plague Tale Innocence on PS5 on a discount. I could care less if I had it already on Xbox One X (Let alone getting it for free thanks to Game Pass). I love this game so much and I dare to say this game is MY The Last of Us. Plus, it has a PS5 upgrade.

EDIT: replaying it on PS5 is "chef's kiss". Those sweet 60fps...

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Hmmm... honestly, you can make a good series out of it, but considering the robot dinosaurs, you really need a big budget.

Netflix and Sony will be partnering on a Horizon series. I am mixed on this and feel as though it can go either way. Like with it's live act

• edited May 2022

Idk about the next info/trailer but i'm predicting wolf 2 to come out in october 2023 for the 10th anniversary of the wolf among us you heard it here first guys

also next wolf 2 info predictions make your bets i wanna know your predictions and bets

Sign in to comment in this discussion.