Youngstown: Interactive story.

Comments

• edited December 2015

I know, I'm kinda late with the characters. Aside from time problems, you know that I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to my characters. I have written a character for this story, but I am not really satisfied with what I have written and I think I should put additional work into it before submitting. Once again, I am sorry for keeping you waiting. I will try my best to finish the characters asap, once I'm back from my vacation in a few days.

mr.quality posted: »

Hi Liquid. I just wanted to ask once more when your characters will be ready. I don't mean to rush you, I understand you are busy and are also a human being that does... Whatever a human does. Like I'd know that. I just wanted to ask.

• [Let Him Go]

stuck right in her gut. Aspen pushed it upwards, tearing apart everything that was important for life and she sliced at her heart. Delila

• Miller

Miller sighed as he turned left going away from the city hall. He wasn’t going to let this woman kill the mayor, weather he liked her or not.

“This way.” Miller said, not bothering to look back to make sure she was still following. Rachel could go get lost in the minefield for all he cared.

Miller quickly devised a plan in his head, if he could just get her distracted for half a second, he could jump her and get the gun.

He who wields the biggest gun holds the most power… Or something like that.

“Who even are you?” Miller asked.

“You know who I am.” Rachel responded.

“Yeah, but who were you? Before all of this?” He asked.

“What would you say if I told you I was a soccer mom that worked in accounting?” She asked.

“I wouldn’t say anything.” Miller said.

“I was a reckless youth, no family to speak of, minus my dumbass sister. The ones I did have weren’t worth a damn anyways, so I left.” Rachel said. “Not like you give a damn anyways.”

“You’re right about that.” Miller mumbled.

“At least you’re honest.” Rachel said as she looked around at the surrounding buildings. “Is this road getting narrower?” She asked.

“It does that.” Miller said.

“I hope you know that if you’re trying something, I’d be more than happy to end you.” Rachel said.

“I think I fucking know that.” Miller said.

“No need to get all butt hurt.” Rachel said.

“Why did you people even come here?” Miller asked.

“What do you want to believe?” Rachel asked.

“I don’t know.” Miller said.

“The truth is, we are from California. But we’re not running away because the Commonwealth fell.” Rachel said. “Truth is, the Commonwealth is stronger than before.” She went on.

“But you still didn’t answer my question.” Miller said.

“You want the truth? Fine.” Rachel said. “My group, we staged an uprising within the Commonwealth trying to overthrow the government there, our side was taking a beating. So instead of sticking around to die, we ran. And now we’re here, and the only damn reason I want to kill this mayor, is because if we can get your government on our side, they’d be more than happy to go on a blitzkrieg across America to take over the Commonwealth. It’s a win-win, no more Commonwealth, lots more power.”

“But you have to kill the mayor to get there.” Miller said. “And then how many more have to die? Just to get rid of a government you don’t like?” He asked.

“You don’t get it do you?” Rachel asked. “Of course you wouldn’t, you’re not from the commonwealth.” She said.

“What are you talking about?” Miller asked.

“Our ‘government’ is enslaving the people within the Commonwealth, and working them to death. The entire Commonwealth is one giant labor camp for anyone that’s not a white collar.” She said. “It’s not about getting rid of the government, it’s about freeing our people.” She said.

“So you’re willing to kill hundreds of my people to free yours?” Miller asked.

“Victory stands proudly on the backs of all those who’ve given their lives.” Rachel said. “And you act like my people haven’t given anything. There’s a war going on over there, you know. We’re losing ground every day, but we’re not giving up. The streets of our towns are littered with the bodies of our soldiers.”

“And you just let it happen.” Miller said.

“You act like this is all my fault.” Rachel said. “Oh, I see. You still think Marlin’s just an innocent man mixed up with the wrong people. And I’m just some crazy bitch that wanted to ruin your life, that’s it?”

“What do you mean about Marlin?” Miller asked.

“The whole uprising against the government, it was his idea.” Rachel said. “Coming here to this town to kill the mayor, it was his idea.”

“Then why did he stand up for us?” Miller asked.

“Because he has something I lack.” She said.

“And that is?”

“Empathy.” She answered. “He’s taken mercy on your people, where I was only willing to fulfill his plans.” She went on.

“So this whole fucking show, it was all Marlin?” Miller asked.

“Yes.” Rachel said. “Makes him look like a lot less of a saint, now doesn’t it. But blame whoever you want, like it matters.” She went on. “I have a question for you.”

“What is it?” Miller asked.

“You plan on killing me don’t you?” She asked.

“Why do you say that?” He asked timidly.

“Why else would you lead me the wrong way?” she asked. Miller froze. “You didn’t think I didn’t know, did you?” She asked, stepping out in front of Miller.

“You knew this entire time?” Miller asked.

“Yeah.” She said.

“Why didn’t you kill me then?” He asked.

“I have a favor to ask you first.” She said, looking down to the pistol in her hand.

“And that is?” Miller asked timidly.

“Kill me.” She said, looking Miller directly in the eyes.

“What?” Miller asked.

“Kill me.” She said. “Me dying has a better chance of helping my people then killing your mayor. If you kill me, you’re a hero and your people will listen to you. If you can persuade them to go back to the Council, you can avoid being slaughtered by the army and also set the course for the army to move west. They already want to, all you need to do is set the ball in motion.”

“I don’t understand.” Miller said.

“Me being here, it proves the Commonwealth has ill intentions for the Council. Me being dead removes all doubt.” She said.

“So your entire plan revolved around you dying?” Miller asked.

“No.” Rachel said. “The idea didn’t cross my mind until recently.”

“There is something seriously fucked up in your head.” Miller said.

“No. Yes, probably.” She said. ”But that doesn’t matter. Kill me.”

“I can’t tell if you’re trying to be some sort of martyr or if you’re just suicidal.” Miller said.

“A little bit of both, a lot of one.” Rachel said. “Here.” He said, holding out the pistol to Miller. “I’m ready to die for what I believe in, weather that makes me a hero or a fool, that remains to be seen.”

“So you’re serious about this.” Miller said.

“Yes.” Rachel said. Miller at this point was more than happy to kill this woman, but it just felt strange for some reason that she had changed so rapidly. Miller reached out for the gun and just as his fingers came to a rest on the grip a gunshot rang out. Miller’s face was splattered with warm blood. Miller looked at his pistol, it hadn’t gone off.

Rachel’s body tumbled over sideways onto the cracked pavement as a sickening pool of blood accumulated around her head. Miller looked up to find where the shot came from. He couldn’t see anyone in sight.

“I don’t suppose you’re with her.” A voice said. Miller spun around and directly behind him stood a man that looked like he was straight out of an old western movie. He wore a black cowboy hat, accompanied with a black duster and gloves. Black pants and boots too, this guy defiantly had something for the color black.

A black scarf covered his face, making it hard for Miller to see his true identity. In his hands he held a sniper rifle, on his side dangled two pistols.

“Who are you?” Miller asked, looking at the man.

“Nass.” The man said, walking past him towards the body. He crouched down next to her and flipped the body over, looking at the blood soaked face.

“What are you doing?” Miller asked.

“Does it matter?” He countered.

“You’re in my town, killing people.” Miller said.

“So she’s one of yours?” Nass asked, resting his hand on his pistol.

“No.” Miller said.

“Good.” Nass said as he hoisted Rachel’s body over his shoulder and began to walk off.

“Where the hell are you going?” Miller asked.

“To collect.” Nass said.

“The hell does that mean?” Miller asked. Can this guy only talk in short in cohesive sentences or something?

“I’m in the business of bounties, you’re lucky you don’t have on or I’d kill you just as dead as your friend here.” He said walking off.

“Hey, come back here!” Miller called to Nass, who said nothing but just kept walking. Miller looked back over his shoulder down the street he’d just come from, then back towards Nass as he kept walking away. His eyes came to a rest on the pool of blood on the ground as he sighed. Not his problem anymore.

He tightened his grip on the pistol and turned, taking off in a full sprint back down the road. His people were still inside the hospital, being held captive. He had to do something.

Evan Banks

“Just let me go, man.” The man said, cowering into the corner.

“Don’t do it Evan, this guy’s lying.” Evan’s brother said. “You can’t trust him.”

“I know I can’t.” Evan said.

“The do it, Evan. Do what has to be done.” He said.

“I will.” Evan said, as he leveled his pistol to the man’s head.

“Don’t do this man, I didn’t do anything!” He said.

“I can’t afford to leave loose ends.” Evan said. “Letting you live puts us all at risk.”

“I’ll disappear. You’ll never see me again.” The man said.

“I wish that was something I could believe.” Evan said. “But I can’t, and I won’t.”

“What?” The man asked. “No!” He shouted, just before Evan pulled the trigger and sent a bullet straight into the man’s brain. The wall behind him was splattered red as the man slid downwards, coming to a lopsided rest on the tile floor.

Evan grunted as he turned around and walked out of the room. He found Josh standing out in the hallway still holding Lizbeth.

“What are you waiting for? Let’s go.” Evan said.

“There’s a guard out in the lobby.” Josh said.

“For fuck’s sake.” Evan muttered. “Do I have to do everything myself?” He said as he walked down the hallway towards the door that led into the lobby, without so much as a second thought he threw the door open and stormed into the lobby.

“Hey!” One man yelled. “Stop right there!”

Barely even looking, Evan lifted his gun and fired a volley of shots. By the noises the man made after that, he assumed he’d hit him.

“Rebecca!” He called.

“Over here!” Someone said, as she pushed herself up off the ground. She was looking a lot better.

“Thank God you’re okay.” Evan said as he walked over to her. “How do you feel?” He asked.

“A lot better already.” She said. “But still not a hundred percent.”

“Do you think you can move?” Evan asked.

“Depends on how far.” She said. Evan looked around the room, before leaning close to her and whispering in her ear.

“Calhoun.” He said. Her eyes widened in shock, but disappeared as soon as it came.

“Seriously?” She asked.

“We’re burnt.” Evan said. “It’s only a matter of time before we get caught.” He said.

“We should go then.” She said.

“Damn right.” Evan said as he looked towards the door. Rebecca began following Evan towards the exit.

“Where are you going?” Josh asked.

“Some place safe that isn’t about to get carpet bombed by the army.” Evan said.

“I’m in.” Josh said.

“Did I tell you you could come?” Evan asked.

“I could just as easily tell everyone here you’re really a bandit.” Josh said.

“Shh.” Evan said. “For God’s sake, keep it down.” Evan said.

“Does that mean I can come?” Evan asked.

“Fuck. Fine.” Evan said. “But there’s a few rules.”

“I’m all ears.” Josh said.

“You’re responsible for the girl, if anything happens to her, it’s on your head. You’re going to do what I say when I say it, no questions asked.” Evan said.

“Fine.” Josh said. Evan huffed.

“Let’s get moving, we’re burning daylight.” Evan said.

“What?” Josh asked. “You’re not getting any supplies?”

“If we move quickly, our destination is less than a day away. I’m sure you can go a day without a meal, kid.” Evan said.

“Let’s go then.” Josh said as he walked with Evan. “Where we’re going, they have a doctor, right?”

“One of the best this side of the blue line.” Evan said.

“What’s the blue line?” Josh asked.

“The big blue line that runs north to south on a map.” Evan said, sighing as the kid didn’t understand what he was saying. “The Mississippi river.”

“I understand now.” Josh said. Evan walked up to the door and pushed it open, waiting for everyone to walk through before letting it shut again. Old world courtesy didn’t die in the apocalypse, it only became endangered.

“Hold it right there.” A voice said. Evan turned around and saw a man walking towards them. “Are you on of them?” He asked. “I didn’t see you in the lobby.”

“I’m not one of them.” Evan said. “I just killed three of them. Four.” He corrected himself.

“You killed them all yourself?”

“With a little help from the kid.” Evan said, nudging Josh. “Now, if you’ll exuse us.” Evan said as he took a few steps, the man stepped in front of him and stopped him.

“Where are you going and why are you taking Lizbeth with you?” He asked.

“It’s not safe here, and the kid wanted to come.” Evan said.

“They said they had a good doctor out there, Miller.” Josh said. “That means if anything happens, someone can help her.”

“I’m coming.” Miller said.

“Oh yes, please join us.” Evan said sarcastically. “The more the fucking merrier.”

“Good. Let’s go.” Miller said.

“You don’t get sarcasm well, do you?” Evan asked.

“I get it just fine, but I also don’t give a shit either way.” Miller said. “I’m going with you.” Rebecca stepped up next to Evan.

“Evan, it’s okay.” She said. “It’s just one day on the road with them, and then they’re out of out hair.”

“Okay. Whatever.” Evan said. “Let’s move, and I am not slowing down for you if you fall behind.” Evan said.

“Evan.” Rebecca said. “Which way are we going?”

It had completely slipped his mind until now, there were two separate ways to get there, one way safer the other quicker.

If they went through Jasper to get to Calhoun, they’d be out of reach of any bandits or highwaymen. But it would add some time to their journey, time the girl may or may not have. The stitches in her leg seemed to be helping for now, but nothing good ever lasts. Nothing.

But if they headed through Canton to get to Calhoun, they’d save a lot of time. But they’d be in constant danger of robbers and muggers. And if by chance they had to stop for a night, they’d almost definitely be killed.

Choice

[Go Through Jasper]

[Go through Canton]

Aspen Diaz

Aspen looked back to her friends, still unsure of what to do.

“This is your apartment, right?” Micha asked as he reasserted his grip on his revolver.

“It was.” Aspen said, looking at the large wooden door. “I don’t know what it is anymore.” She said.

It’d been a few weeks now, maybe more. The trip from MIT back to Ohio took a lot longer than expected, they’d stopped along the way at everyone’s houses. It was such a relief when they found their family alive and well. But that barely ever happened, most of the time they just found an empty house or a house with infected in it. In all they’d started with about twenty MIT students who came with them to the trip back to Ohio, either because they lived in Ohio or because they lived somewhere along the way.

Now they had five. Aspen herself included. So much death and decay surrounded them now, there was no running or hiding from this hell. It just was.

“I don’t know.” Aspen said. “Maybe we should just go, find Emma’s house.” She said. Wyatt stepped forward and placed his hand on her shoulder, his surfer-boy appearance seemed strange taking into account he was one of the most ruthless of them all, he was probably the only reason they were still alive, all five of them.

He looked her dead in the eyes.

“Aspen, it’s better if you open the door and find out what happened. Alive or dead, isn’t it better to know than to be second guessing yourself the rest of your life?” He asked.

“Your family was dead, Wyatt.” Aspen said. “What if mine is too?”

“I think we both know that’s not what you’re afraid of.” He said.

He was right, she wasn’t afraid of them being dead. She’d come to terms with the fact that her mom and Ed were probably dead inside that apartment. No, what she was afraid of is if they were alive. What would she do then?

“We’ll be right here the entire time.” Emma said. Aspen nodded as she stepped up to the door and drew a key out of her pocket with an unsteady shaky hand. Her hand shook as she put the key into the lock and twisted. She looked back at everyone.

“Go on, then.” Micha said. Aspen took a breath as she twisted the knob and pushed the door open.

“Mom?” Aspen called. “Ed?” She asked, with a certain distain in her voice. But hell, she’d be a little happy to see his ugly face right now. No one answered so she stepped farther into the apartment. She walked down the hallway until she heard something coming from Ed’s study. She gripped her knife as she slowly opened the door. She saw a man inside, only seconds before the doorframe next to her head exploded into splinters.

“Fuck!” Aspen yelled as she jumped back.

“Don’t try to fucking hide!” The man yelled, his voice all too familiar.

“Ed!” Aspen yelled. “Don’t shoot, it’s just me. Aspen.” She said.

“Aspen?” Ed asked. “Come out so I can see you.” He said.

“Are you going to shoot me?” She asked.

“No.” Ed answered. Aspen peeked around the corner into the room. He was holding his gun at his side, not aiming it. Aspen stepped out back into the doorway, hoping to God he wasn’t planning on killing her. “Holy fucking shit.” Ed said. “It really is you. I’d recognize that ugly ass face of yours anywhere.”

“Where’s my mom?” Aspen asked, demanded more like.

“Your mom’s dead.” Ed said, without the slightest hint of sorrow. “She got ran over, the day it all began. You know, if only you were here, your mother might still be alive. You useless piece of shit.” Ed grumbled.

“You’re the one that sent me away you bastard!” Aspen yelled.

“You’re the one that made me!” Ed yelled back.

“Don’t you dare try to blame this in me.” Aspen said.

“Then who do I blame? Your mother?” He asked.

“Blame yourself you bastard!” Aspen yelled at him.

“You’re really overstaying your welcome, girly.” Ed said, timidly tapping his pistol.

“This is my house.” Aspen said.

“Not really.” Ed said. “It’s mine.” He said.

“Fuck you.” Aspen said.

“You should probably leave now.” Ed said.

“You should probably make me.” Aspen growled.

“I’d be more than happy.” Ed said as he stepped forwards towards Aspen.

“Aspen, I think we should go now.” Wyatt said, placing his hand on her shoulder and steering her away. Until now Aspen had been completely unaware that Wyatt had followed her.

“Yeah, I think you should listen to your boyfriend.” Ed said. Aspen glared at him even as Wyatt pushed on down the hallway. “I’ll see you around.” He said. “You little bitch.”

Aspen surged forward at Ed, determined to rip his throat out. But Wyatt held her back firmly. She could hear Ed laughing as Wyatt practically carried her off.

“He’s not worth it, Aspen.” Wyatt said. “That guy isn’t wort anything. Who was he to you anyways?”

“He was my fucking stepfather.” Aspen growled.

“He doesn’t even deserve to hold that title.” Wyatt said as he let go of Aspen.

“Why did you even come in?” Aspen asked.

“I heard the gunshot and thought you needed help.” Wyatt said as he opened the door back outside the apartment.

“Did you find them?” Emma asked. “Were they alive?”

“Nobody I knew was in that apartment.” Aspen said.

“Somebody was in there.” Micha said.

“Nobody I knew was in there.” Aspen growled. Macha backed off.

“I’m sorry Aspen.” Emma said. “I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be.” Aspen said. “Your house is next on the list, so let’s go.” Aspen went on as she walked off. She could hear the rest of the group following behind her.

“Where do you think you’re going to go now?” Micha asked. “I mean, you can stick with us if you’d like.”

“I’ve always wanted to see Georgia.” Aspen said.

Aspen could feel the faint numbness of pain, but that was it. She felt only like

• like a hollow husk of herself. Her eyes drifted open and closed, each time catching only a few moments of time. She could tell she was being carried in a stretcher by two people, she didn’t know where she was or where she was going.

She opened her eyes again and she was laying on her back staring up at the sky. She could see her breath curling upwards in the cold. How do the Ohioans deal with this cold? All she could feel was numbness, mixed with pain.

Her head rolled to the side and she got a better view of where she was. She was on a cot in the middle of the football field. Multiple other cots were set up but very few were occupied. Lots of people were milling around talking or just patrolling.

It seemed that most of the people were somewhere inside the stadium trying to escape the cold. Why the hell did they pick a place without a roof to set up camp? Aspen could feel herself shaking, the cold had found its way in as feeling slowly returned to her body.

She looked over at her hand, only to find it wrapped up in a bloody cloth. Just looking at it hurt her. Her foot wasn’t much better, neither was the bullet hole in her side. Her face felt swollen and bruised on the side where she’d been hit with the rifle. It probably looked a lot worse than it felt. She could faintly taste blood in her mouth.

She tried to force herself to sit up, but the pain in her side flared up so badly she just laid back down gritting her teeth, staring at the grey sky once more. It would really suck if it started to rain right now.

“Try not to move, Diaz.” A voice said. “You’ll tear out the stitches.” Aspen lazily looked over at the nearby medic.

“How bad is it?” She asked, her voice small and squeaky.

“It could be a lot worse.” He said. “But you’ll live.”

“That’s reassuring.” Aspen said.

“If it makes you feel any better, nobody thought you’d make it through the first night.” He said.

“First night?” Aspen asked. “How long…”

“Two days.” The medic said. “Going on three. We’re very limited on supplies, so we have to limit the amount of painkillers we can give you. But if it starts hurting to bad, I’m sure we can bend the rules a little.” He said. Aspen sighed and looked down at her hand.

“I can’t move my hand.” She said. The medic licked his lips.

“It might be like that for a while.” He said.

“Oh.” Aspen said. “I guess it’s a good thing I’m left handed then.”

“I guess that is a good thing.” The medic said. Aspen closed her eyes and sighed.

“The plane? Did they find anything?” Aspen asked.

“They found an Ohio patrol.” The medic said. “Other than that, only dead people. But there’s still a lot of people missing.”

“Have you heard anything about Raven?” She asked.

“No.” The medic said. “Actually I have, they told me she was dead.”

“They found a body?” Aspen asked.

“Not sure.” The medic said. “I’m only a low level medic. This mission is need-to-know. And apparently I don’t need to know.” He said.

“Thank you.” Aspen said, as she felt tears begin rolling down her cheeks.

“This wasn’t your fault Aspen, there’s nothing you could do.” He said.

“Aspen Diaz, You are one badass little girl. You know that?” A new voice said. “I’ve got her form here.” She said to the medic. The medic nodded and walked off, with one last look at Aspen. Aspen looked up at the woman with tears still in her eyes.

“Who are you?” she asked.

“I’m in charge now.” She said. “I’m Valarie Rice.” She said.

“So I guess that means I take orders from you now.” Aspen said.

“Yeah.” Valarie said. “It seems like.”

“I’m not some cripple, commander.” Aspen said. “I can still fight.” Valarie smiled.

“I’m sure you can, but that’s not what I came to talk to you about.” She said.

“What did you come here for then?” Aspen asked.

“The kid we brought here with you, he’s from the bunker and his father is some sort of big shot in there.” She said.

“Yeah?” Aspen asked.

“He said he can get you in.” Valarie said.

“You want me to go in?” Aspen asked. Valarie nodded.

“Yes.” She said. “We’ll be able to communicate with you the entire time through the walkie talkie, all you have to do is get it past security.” She said.

“And what would I do in there?” Aspen asked.

“Recon and intelligence.” She said. “You tell us what they have and how to deal with it.”

“What if I find Raven?” Aspen asked.

“If you find any of our people, they come secondary.” Valarie said. “Your primary objective is to blend in, that’s it.”

“Do you think I can do it?” Aspen asked.

“I know you can.” Valarie said. “But it’s up to you if you want to or not.”

Choice

[Agree to go in the bunker]

[Refuse to go in the bunker]

• [Go through Jasper]

I really hope Lizbeth will make it, but it can cost more lives to go through Canton. But please don't die Lizbeth!

[Refuse to go in the bunker]

Seriously, Aspen has been through a lot lately, she's been hurt and everything, can't this Valerie woman find someone else to do it, I just want that Aspen isn't moving all the time and now she can stay put and recover

• Hello. I'm new here... obviously. I came across this story somewhat by accident but it's got me hooked now. So I'd like to ask if it would be okay to take part in the choices?

• Oh most definitely do!!! Please do!! New readers are always welcome!

Feel free to submit a character to if you fancy that.

JumpyJoey posted: »

Hello. I'm new here... obviously. I came across this story somewhat by accident but it's got me hooked now. So I'd like to ask if it would be okay to take part in the choices?

• Alright, that's awesome! I might try my hand at the character submission, but it'll have to be later because I'm dead tired at the moment.

I also plan on reading Stranded, it may take a while.

Oh most definitely do!!! Please do!! New readers are always welcome! Feel free to submit a character to if you fancy that.

• Aye, Stranded. The story I wrote when I still barely knew what story writing was. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Alright, that's awesome! I might try my hand at the character submission, but it'll have to be later because I'm dead tired at the moment. I also plan on reading Stranded, it may take a while.

• [Go Through Jasper]

Canton sounds too dangerous. It is not just Lizbeth's life on the line. And if Evan and co. are killed, Lizbeth has no chance at survival at all. Her wounds are treated for now, so I think she has a realistic chance to survive the longer journey.

Ah... hard choice here. I am not sure. Maybe Aspen finds a way to save Raven and that kinda convinced me to choose this option, though I am not sure if she should go on such a mission right now. For now, I think going in the bunker could be the better option, but maybe I will change my vote later.

like a hollow husk of herself. Her eyes drifted open and closed, each time catching only a few moments of time. She could tell she was being

• [Go through Jasper]

I really don't like the thought of them being in constant danger, it's not worth it. Hopefully Lizbeth will be okay, she's stitched up after all. There's no need to risk the lives of the others as well.

Aspen isn't in the best shape to go through with that mission, it's true, but she may find Raven. If she does I don't think she'd leave her as a "secondary objective", they're too close. And I kinda want to see more of Train.

like a hollow husk of herself. Her eyes drifted open and closed, each time catching only a few moments of time. She could tell she was being

• [Go Through Jasper]

• [Go Through Jasper]

• edited February 2016

Aspen Diaz

“…Of course if you don’t think you can do it, we can always find someone to take your place.” Valarie said.

“I’m in.” Aspen said.

“You know you don’t have to, right?” Valarie asked.

“Don’t count me out just yet.” Aspen said, the rolled her eyes noticing the look Valarie was giving her. “All heroic theatrics aside, I think I’m best suited for a mission like this. I’m from here, I know the area and the people. Well, I used to know them.” Aspen said.

“And did they know you?” Valarie asked.

“Yes.” Aspen answered.

“Then that may compromise the mission, Diaz.” Valarie said. “The whole goal is to remain undetected.”

“Yeah, well some help on the inside may not be a bad thing.” Aspen said.

“I guess you got me there.” Valarie said. “But if anything goes wrong in there…”

“You won’t be able to help me.” Aspen finished her sentence for her. “I counted up the costs, and I’m willing to make the sacrifice. I’m more than some useless cripple, Valarie.” Aspen said.

“Nobody’s questioning that Diaz.” Valarie said. “Again and again you’ve proved your worth. You don’t have to prove anything.” She said, eyeing Aspen. “I see, you’re not telling me something. Aren’t you?”

“Why would you think that?” Aspen asked, looking her dead in the eye.

“Because I know a half truth when I see one.” Valarie said. “You’re going in there for officer Lee, aren’t you?” She asked.

“So maybe I am?” Aspen defended herself. “We don’t leave one of our own behind.”

“I already told you that Lee comes secondary to the task at hand.” Valarie said.

“We can’t just leave her to be killed by the Ohioans so they can get some information from her!” Aspen yelled.

“And we can’t have you blowing out cover.” Valarie said. “You can’t make this personal Diaz, you’d only make a mess that way.”

“This is way past personal.” Aspen said.

“And you really think I’m going to send you in if I think you’re going to be a danger to yourself and this operation?” Valarie asked.

“Yes.” Aspen answered. “When do I leave?” She pressed. Valarie huffed in annoyance as she stared at Aspen.

“Fuck.” Valarie muttered. “As soon as we can have you on your feet and walking we’re going to send you out.” She said.

“Help me up then.” Aspen said, sticking her hand out to Valarie.

“You can’t be serious, you just woke up after beaten half to death.” Valarie said. “You can’t be walking.”

“I’ll take that as you’re not going to help me then?” Aspen asked.

“If I don’t are you going to stay here and not move?” Valarie asked.

“Not a chance.” Aspen said.

“You’re a pain in my ass, you know that?” Valarie asked, as she gripped Aspens hand.

“That means I’m doing my job right.” Aspen said.

“You ready?” Valarie asked.

“Let’s see, I got shot ,stabbed , and beaten to a pulp.” Aspen said. “Yeah, I’m ready.”

“Good.” Valarie said as she yanked Aspen up without so much as a warning. Pain shot through Aspen’s entire side as if she’d just been shot… Oh wait.

“Fuck!” Aspen exclaimed as she gripped her side.

“Did that hurt?” Valarie asked sarcastically, now that Aspen was sitting up. “Are you alright?”

“Just peachy.” Aspen said as she took a deep breath.

“You sure you want to do this?” Valarie asked.

“It was your damn idea to send me into the bunker.” Aspen said.

“Okay, okay.” Valarie said.

“So are you actually going to help me up, or are you dropping out halfway?” She asked.

“I hate you sometimes.” Valarie said, as she wrapped Aspen’s arm around her shoulder. “This is going to hurt.” She said.

“You think I don’t know that?” Aspen asked.

It was like learning how to walk all over again. But this time, you had a spike in your foot and a gash in your side and every step felt like pure hell. Aspen was clenching her teeth so hard she swore she tasted blood. Valarie walked close by, in case Aspen was to fall and need help.

“You really think you’re going to make it all the way there like this?” Valarie asked.

“Mmmhmph.” Aspen answered, unable to unclench her jaw.

“You have guts, I’ll give you that.” Valarie said. “What you lack is a damn brain.”

Aspen chose to not respond at all to that one. Instead she continued to hobble down the hallway like a dying drunkard. Probably because that’s what she was at this point, just add alcohol.

“In here.” Valarie said as she pulled a door open. They walked from the field halfway around the stadium, to this very room. Aspen shuffled inside the room and heard the door shut behind her.

It became clear at that point that this was a locker room. Or used to be, at this point it looked more like a command center. Maps plastered the walls, along with a list of missing soldier with last known location. They had a list of confirmed dead, which was much bigger than Aspen would’ve liked it to be.

“Johnson Greene is confirmed KIA.” A man shouted across the room. Another man hustled across the room and wrote the name on the sheet.

“Amy White was reported missing, last seen three hours ago. Last known location; Carew tower.” A woman said. The man wrote the name on the page.

“Aspen.” Valarie said. “Over here.” She walked through the room, at this point it seemed that etiquette had gone out the window. The soldiers didn’t even look up or acknowledge the fact that their CO was present. Just like it was back in Georgia, as soon as no one was looking it didn’t matter.

Valarie led aspen through the locker room to the very back where a man and a woman sat behind a desk staring at a computer screen. Both looked to be around Aspen’s age. The man looked up at Aspen and grimaced.

“What happened to your face?” He asked. Aspen lifted her had to her face, which was a bad move since it only sent a jolt of pain through the entire half of her face.

“This is Aspen Diaz.” Valarie said. “She’s going inside the bunker.”

That seemed to be all she needed to say about that because the man’s face instantly lit up.

“Well in that case, I’m sure we’re going to get to know each other well.” He said. “I’m Kabir and this…” He said turning to the woman next to him. “Is Claire. We’ll be talking you though this step by step… Ish.”

“Ish?” Aspen asked.

“There’s only so much we can do.” Kabir said. “It’s your job to gather intel and send it to us, not the other way around.”

“We heard you were quite the tech genius.” Claire said. “So this shouldn’t be hard for you at all.” She said, opening the desk drawer and taking out a walkie-talkie, handing it to Aspen. “It’s broken, technically. But it’s a quick fix, all you got to do is reconnect some wires.”

“We couldn’t give you a working one since you wouldn’t be able to get that past security, but a broken one won’t mean anything to them.” Kabir said.

“That about sums it up, I guess.” Claire said.

“No advice or anything?” Aspen asked.

“Good luck.” Claire said.

“Thanks.” Aspen muttered, turning to leave.

“Oh, wait a second.” Claire said. Aspen turned back around. “I thought I’d let you know, I chose ‘Mayfly’ for this missions codename.” She said.

“Mayfly?” Aspen asked.

“I like Mayflies, and when I asked if I could choose a name they told me to knock myself out.” Claire said.

“Other than that, we have nothing.” Kabir said.

“You’re a little weird. You know that?” Aspen asked.

“Thanks for noticing.” Claire said.

“Let’s go Aspen.” Valarie said. The two walked away.

“Those two are going to talk me through this?” Aspen asked.

“I trust them completely.” Valarie said.

“Good for you.” Aspen said.

“Now, as you already know, the bunker itself is located underneath Carew tower. Meaning, you’re going to have to get in there and take the elevator down.” Valarie said.

“And if this elevator isn’t working?” Aspen asked.

“Looks like you’ll be taking stairs.” Valarie said.

“Damn you.” Aspen murmered.

“The bunker’s power is supplied directly from a solar farm. The odds of the power being out are next to none, it may be cold. But there’s still sun.” She said.

“How far is Carew tower from here?” Aspen asked.

“About a mile.” Valarie said, Aspen’s heart sank. She knew she’d never make it a mile in the shape she’s in. “That’s why we’ve arranged for a transport to get you from here to there.” She continued, rebounding Aspen’s spirit.

“Transport?” Aspen asked.

“There’s a working rig parked in front of the stadium waiting to be driven.” Valarie said, pulling a set of keys out of her pocket and handed them to Aspen. “The kid’s ready to move when you are.” Valarie said. “Also, this may come in handy at some point.” She said, handing Aspen the pistol that was at her side.

“They’ll just take it after I reach security.” Aspen said.

“Yeah.” Valarie said. “But what are the odds of someone being unarmed in the middle of an apocalypse?” She asked. “It’s bound to draw attention.”

“Alright.” Aspen said, as she looked over Valarie’s shoulder and saw a man running up from behind her with a worried look on his face.

“Val!” He yelled.

“What?” Valarie asked.

“Scouts.” The man said. “The men watching the perimeter saw scouts.”

“So?” Valarie asked.

“They saw us first.” He said. “My guess is that they’ve already radioed in our position and half of the Ohioan army is marching on us right now.”

“God Damn it!” Valarie yelled. “We need to break camp and move to a new location, ASAP.” She said.

“I’ll give the order.” He said then turned and ran off. Valarie turned back to Aspen.

“Go. Get to the bunker.” Valarie said.

“But you’re going to need help.” Aspen said.

“We’ve got lost of capable men and women who can get the job done.” Valarie said.

“But they are still going to need help.” Aspen said.

“Not from some cripple that can barely walk damn it!” Valarie yelled at her. “Your one and only job is to get your ass into the bunker alive.” She went on. Aspen looked at her shocked at what she’d said.

“Wh-“ Before Aspen could even finish a word. Valarie grumbled something unhappily to herself before she turned and walked away.

Choice

[Stay and help]

[Follow orders and go to the bunker]

• [Stay and help] because I thought it was a bad idea to go to the bunker in the first place

Aspen Diaz “…Of course if you don’t think you can do it, we can always find someone to take your place.” Valarie said. “I’m in.” Aspen

• [Follow orders and go to the bunker]

I'm still a bit undecided about the bunker, but the end of this part put me a bit more in favour of it. Staying sounds very dangerous now, considering that the Ohioan army is likely about to attack. Going into the bunker is dangerous as well, but like I said last time, maybe she manages to find Raven.

Aspen Diaz “…Of course if you don’t think you can do it, we can always find someone to take your place.” Valarie said. “I’m in.” Aspen

She can't help with defence in the state she's in; however dangerous the bunker is it's probably safer than the Ohian army gunning her down.

• Aspen Diaz

“Let’s go.” She grumbled unhappily.

“You don’t seem too happy.” Train responded.

“Me? Not happy?” She asked. “What is there to not be happy about? It’s not like I’m about to ditch my own people and try to infiltrate one of the most secure places on Earth.”

“Point taken.” Train said as he wheeled alongside her. Someone somewhere had managed to wrangle up a wheel chair from somewhere, not that she was questioning that. His pace was almost faster than Aspen’s walk at this point. She walked holding her side at this point, as pain shot through it every time she took a step. At least she couldn’t even feel her hand, or that’d be hurting too, no doubt.

“Do you have any promises that I’m not going to get shot as soon as they see me?” Aspen asked, watching her breath curl upwards in the cold. She wondered if the car would have working heat or not… Probably not, but it’s worth a thought.

“I got you this far, right?” He said. Aspen looked at him with an eyebrow raised.

“I’m half dead and can’t even use my right hand.” Aspen said.

“But, you’re alive and left handed.” Train said. “I win.”

“Smart ass.” Aspen mumbled as she approached a set of glass doors that led out into the parking lot of the stadium. She placed her left hand on the door and put her body weight behind it instead of actually pushing it, this way it hurt less she’d found out. She attempted to hold the door open for Train, but more or less failed. She took a stumbling step forwards before she was able to catch herself.

“Maybe you should be the one in a wheel chair.” Train remarked.

“Maybe you should shut up.” Aspen said.

“Ouch, that one hurt.” Train said.

“I hope it did.” Aspen said. “Where is the flipping car?” She muttered to herself as she dug the set of keys out of her pocket, her hand shaking with the cold.

“You seem cold.” Train said.

“I’m from Georgia.” Aspen responded. “It’s usually warm there.”

“Don’t worry, we keep the bunker heated at all times.” Train said.

“At what temperature?” Aspen asked.

“Around 22 degrees.” He said.

“That’s colder than it is out here!” Aspen exclaimed.

“Celsius, idiot.” Train said. “You Georgians are stupid, still sticking with English system.” He said.

“I grew up on metric, you know.” She said.

“Doesn’t really seem like it.” He said.

“I didn’t have a reason to use it for a long time.” She said.

“You might want to brush up on your metric, it’s all we use.” He said.

“Fun.” Aspen said. “You have got to be kidding me.” She muttered as she saw a car appear into her vision.

“Apparently not.” Train said.

There it sat, in all its rusted glory. An old delivery truck, which at one point was probably white but was not rusted through and through. It looked like it’d be a miracle if the thing even started.

“They seriously want us to die.” Aspen said.

“Probably.” Train said.

“Can you even get in?” Aspen asked.

“Believe it or not, I know how to live without legs.” He said.

“Fine.” Aspen said. “I was just asking.”

“I think all you need to be focused on is not getting us killed.” He said.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” She asked.

“Have you seen yourself lately?” He asked. “You shouldn’t even be allowed behind the wheel of a bicycle, much less a box truck.” He said.

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.” Aspen said as she walked around the side of the rusted old truck. She reached her hand out to the door and pulled the handle, the old rusted door slowly squeaked open. She watched as the other side did the same, and Train pulled himself from the ground up into the cab of the truck. Aspen sighed as she pulled herself up too. She sat down in the seat and closed the door behind her.

“How much do you want to be this thing doesn’t even start?” Asked Train.

“I don’t have to bet to know what’s about to happen.” She said as she clumsily put the keys into the ignition with her left hand. One quick twist, and the engine purred to life. Aspen smiled a little. “My people may be assholes, but at least they know how to fix a car.” She said.

“Damn right.” Train said looking around the cab of the truck as if it was about to explode. Who knows at this point? Maybe it was.

Aspen struggled to put the beast into drive, and soon they were underway. The truck slowly lurched forwards at first, Aspen could hear the brakes grinding against the wheel. She rested her useless right hand on the truck’s center console as she drove.

“Turn on the heat, let’s see if it works.” Aspen said. Train reached over and twisted the knob for the heat. Aspen silently hoped it would work, but after a few moments it became obvious it wasn’t working. She sighed. “Should’ve known better. Our mechanics focus on practicality, not comfort.” She said.

“You’ve got mechanics?” Train asked.

“Everyone’s got their specialty, otherwise we wouldn’t ever get anything done.” Aspen answered, peering out the fogging window of the truck as she drove.

“So, what’s yours?” He asked.

“Tech, more or less.” She said.

“Tech’s always good.” He said. “Especially in a time like this.”

“What do you mean by that?” She asked.

“The world’s trying to rebuild itself, tech’s like yourself will help that happen.” He said.

“It seems to me the world’s trying to tear itself apart.” She said.

“True enough.” He said.

“Can I ask you a question?” She asked.

“Shoot.” He said.

“Why are you helping us?” She asked. “We’re here to destroy you people, yet you’re helping us.” She said.

He sighed, as if the question bothered him. Almost as if he didn’t have an answer to the question. He ran his fingers through his hair as he stared through the window.

“If I told you I knew why, I’d be lying.” He said. “But if I told you I didn’t know why I’d still be lying.”

“Explain.” Aspen urged him.

“I don’t agree with your tactics. I may not like your way of governing.” He said. “But I don’t agree with what the Ohioans are doing either. Some horrible things have happened in the past in the name of survival.” He said. “Maybe your people can bring new stability.”

“I wish.” She said.

“Can I ask you a question?” He asked.

“I guess.” Aspen said.

“Why do you still work for them? The Council?” He asked. “After they dropped you all here to die, just to cover up their own mess?”

Now it was Aspen’s turn to sigh. She had no clue why she still worked for them. She knew damn well she no longer trusted them, or anyone that worked for them.

“Family.” She answered. “We’re a family. I can’t just leave them when it gets rough, that’s not what a family does. I’m a human before I’m a soldier. I pledge my allegiance to no one and everyone all at once. My only goal is to leave a place better than when I found it.” She said.

“Fair enough.” Train said. “So why are you actually going in?” He asked.

“Recon. Nothing more.” Aspen answered him.

“No. I mean why are you actually going in, not what they told you you’re going in for.” He said.

“I have my reasons.” Aspen said.

“And I may be able to help with those reasons, if you’d just let me.” He said. “We’re a team now, we can’t afford to be keeping each other in the dark.”

Aspen inhaled the cold, stale air of the trucks cabin. It stung her nose and burnt her lungs, but none the less kept her awake. She peered out at the old buildings of Cincinnati as they drove.

“My best friend went missing after we dropped in. She got shot and I ran away.” She said. “At first I thought she was dead, but now I have hope to think otherwise.” She said.

“And you think she’s in the bunker?” He asked.

“If she’s not, where else would she be?” She asked.

“If she’s there, we’ll find her.” He said. Aspen’s eyes drifted over towards a tall apartment building as they drove by. Her heart sank as she looked at it, glooming in the sky. Home.

“I grew up here.” She said, almost a whisper. “With my mom and stepdad. We had a big apartment right up there. I had everything anyone could ever want, but I ruined it. I made my family turn on me, he chased me off. I never got to see my mom after that day.” She said.

“I’m sure it wasn’t your fault, Aspen.” Train said.

“I’m not sure it isn’t anymore.” Aspen said as she looked up at the looming tower ahead, taller than any of the others.

“I guess we’re here.” Train said. “My home.”

“My hell.” Aspen muttered as she put the truck into park. “We’re walking from here.”

“Easy for you to say.” Train said.

“I really can’t carry you.” Aspen said.

“We really should’ve thought about that before I ditched the wheel chair.” Train said.

“We’re at an impasse.” Aspen said.

“How about you go on inside, get help, and I’ll just wait here.” He said.

“And you think they aren’t going to shoot me?” She asked.

“Not if you say you have me.” He said.

“I swear I will kill you if I die.” Aspen said as she opened the truck door.

“You have my permission to kill me if you die.” He responded before Aspen climbed out and shut the door. She began limping towards the front door of the Carew tower, the building itself loomed over her as if it wanted to kill her. When she was younger she never saw the tower as frightening, but now it was just that.

“Ohio security, don’t move!” A voice boomed. Aspen spun around and was met by a tall black man that stood a few feet behind her. He was wearing an olive parka with an Ohio flag sewn into the arm. He had a scarf pulled up over his nose and a set of ski goggles in his forehead. He was holding a standard issue Ohioan M4, just as every other Ohioan had. He motioned with his hand and two more people dressed just like him joined his side, each aiming their gun at Aspen. “Who are you and what is your purpose being here?” He asked.

“I am Aspen Diaz.” She said. “I have a boy named Train with me, he said he belongs to you.”

He looked over at his other two friends. Each shrugged their shoulders.

“We don’t know anyone named Train.” He responded.

“You have to.” Aspen said. “A kid, like teenage. Paralyzed from the waist down.” She explained.

This time the lead man took one look back at his friends and lowered his gun.

“Tobias Walker.” The man said. “You found Tobias Walker? Where Is he now?” He asked.

“That box truck, right there.” Aspen said, nodding towards the rusted old truck. The man nodded over his shoulder and his two friends ran off towards the truck. He took one step towards Aspen and stopped.

“Are you armed?” He asked.

“Of course I’m armed.” Aspen said. “I’m not stupid.”

“I wasn’t saying that.” He said. “Can I see your firearm?”

“What for?” Aspen asked, as if she didn’t already know the answer. Sometimes the best disguise it to just play dumb.

“No firearms allowed inside the bunker miss Diaz.” He said.

“It’s in my pocket.” Aspen said, as she slowly reached her hand into her jacket and gripped the pistol. For a second she thought about shooting the guard, but realized that would be a mistake.

“Easy does it.” The man reminded her as she pulled her pistol out, and slowly laid it on the ground in front of her. “Go ahead and kick it over.” He said. Aspen nudged the pistol with her boot so that it skidded across the ground towards the man. He picked it up and looked over it. “Beretta m9? Good choice. You can have it back if you ever decide to leave the bunker.” He said as he pocketed her gun. “It looked like you’ve gotten into a fight recently. What happened? If you don’t mind me asking.” He pressed.

“It wasn’t a walk in the park to free the kid.” She said.

“Looks like.” He said. “How did you even know where to find him?” He asked.

“The people that kidnapped him, captured me.” She said.

“And where are the captures now?” He asked.

“They are no longer an issue.” Aspen answered. She notice the man’s friends coming back, one of the carrying Train.

“I got it from here.” He said as he took Train into his arms then turned and looked back at Aspen. “If you’d follow me.” He said as he began walking into the tower.

Evan Banks

“Can you please slow down?” Josh whined.

“I told you we weren’t going to slow down or stop. If you fall behind that’s your problem, not mine.” Evan said.

“You’re not the one carrying an unconscious girl.” Josh said. Evan grumbled.

“I never said you had to come you know.” Evan said.

“Like I was going to leave Lizbeth alone with you.” Josh said.

“What does that mean?” Miller asked.

“You don’t want to know.” Evan said. “Not yet, at least.”

“Have you always been such an asshole, or this a new look for you?” Josh asked.

“Oh no, when I was younger I was all butterflies and rainbows.” Evan said sarcastically.

“Sure.” Josh said. “Asshole.” Evan was about to snap something back at the kid, but caught the looked Rebecca was giving him and decided it would be best if he kept his mouth shut for now. So they walked in silence for a little while.

The road they were on was old and cracked. Roads tend to do that when you leave them unattended. Evan had suggested it would be better to walk through the woods that ran along the side of the road, as that would provide more cover if anything were to happen. But everyone else seemed to think that was stupid and thought they were perfectly safe walking through the middle of the street.

News flash guys; there’s no such thing as a safe place.

If only they’d figure that out already. Maybe then this trip would be a little more tolerable. Life isn’t shits and giggles, not now, not ever. Evan and his brother had found that out the hard way, back before all of this shit happened.

“Evan, I could use a break to.” Rebecca said. Evan grumbled unhappily to himself, now she was taking their side? What the hell was going on here?

“Fine.” Evan huffed. “We stop for a while in Jasper, no longer than an hour.”

“Works fine for me.” Josh said.

“Is Jasper safe?” Miller asked.

“If it wasn’t would I be willing to rest there?” Evan returned.

“Fair enough.” Miller grumbled.

“How far until we reach Jasper?” Josh asked.

“Pick up the pace and we’ll be there in about an hour.” Evan said.

“More like thirty minutes Evan, we did just pass the whispering tree.” Rebecca said.

“Whispering tree? What the hell is that?” Miller asked.

“It’s a lookout point for our camp, we’d set someone up out here to keep watch.” Rebecca answered.

“And where is this lookout?” Miller asked.

“We quit using this area after the group caved in on itself.” Rebecca answered.

“And your group, where are they now?” He asked.

“They-“ Rebecca began but Evan cut her off.

“They’re dead.” Evan said, sending a glare at Rebecca.

“Sorry to hear that.” Miller said.

“Don’t be.” Evan said. “They got what they deserved.”

That statement made the group fall back into silence. After a long bout of quiet walking, Evan noticed a metal road sign, grown over with vines and moss. He walked up to the sign and pulled the vines off, revealing the faded letters.

Welcome to Jasper.

“We’re here.” Evan announced.

“Good.” Josh said. “Where are we stopping?” He asked.

“Up ahead.” Evan said as he continued walking until they were walking through downtown Jasper, which still wasn’t big, but it was good enough for a small town. A gas station, a small church, lots of houses. Evan pulled a key out of his pocket and walked up to a door. One quick twist of the lock, and the door swung open. Evan stood outside and waited until everyone had walked inside. He looked around the town, scanning everything with his eyes. He stopped on the church steeple. Up in the old belfry he swore he saw someone standing there, watching him.

“Evan, are you coming?” Rebecca asked. Evan gave one last look at the belfry. “Did you see something?”

“I’m not sure yet.” Evan said. “But I think we’re not exactly alone here anymore.”

“Should we be worried?” she asked.

“I don’t know. Not yet at least.” He answered.

“Do you think you should check it out?” She asked.

Choice

[Go check the town]

[Stay at the house]

• edited January 2016

[Stay at the house] Yeah maybe it is someone but it's not a threat yet. It is safer to stay.

Aspen Diaz “Let’s go.” She grumbled unhappily. “You don’t seem too happy.” Train responded. “Me? Not happy?” She asked. “What is th

• [Stay at the house]

I am curious who this person is that was watching them. However, if it is a potential ally, then I guess he or she is going to seek the group out either way, sooner or later. If it is an enemy, then checking the town could cause Evan to end up walking into a trap. There is little he can do on his own against a possible enemy who knows the location well enough, so I guess it should be for the best to stay with the group in an easily defendable location.

Aspen Diaz “Let’s go.” She grumbled unhappily. “You don’t seem too happy.” Train responded. “Me? Not happy?” She asked. “What is th

• [Stay at the house], ah ,i don't know to risk the life of a gentleman such as ethan :)) , just kidding , but still ..;It's safer to stay togheter rather than one person just going there to check out who it is .

• [Stay at the house] The other option is too risky.

• [Stay at the house]

Stay safe. Maybe they can patch Lizbeth up a little better too.

• Aspen Diaz

The elevator crept downward at a snail’s pace. At least it felt that way, she felt like at any time this guard was going to figure out she wasn’t who she said she was. She tried to take her mind off the fact that she could be shot dead at any moment, If that’s how they did it down here. Who knows?

She would’ve felt like this trip needed some accompanying elevator music, had they not been two steps ahead of her. The partly annoying, partly consuming cadence radiated from somewhere within the elevator. Just being in a place like this almost made her feel like there wasn’t the end of the world going on outside. Then she remembered what was happening and had to think about how out of place the music was.

“I don’t think we can thank you enough for bringing Tobias back to us.” The guard said.

“It’s what basic humans do, right? We look out for each other.” Aspen answered.

“One could only hope.” He said.

“I don’t think I ever caught your name.” Aspen said.

“That might be because I never said it.” He said. Aspen shot him a disgusted look.

“Sorry I asked.” She said. He laughed.

“It was a joke, sorry. I was never good at that.” He said. “My name’s Kaiden Leo.” He said.

“Kaiden.” Aspen repeated, as if she’d forget the name otherwise.

“Doesn’t that hurt?” Kaiden asked. “Your foot, I mean.”

“It hurts like all hell.” Aspen admitted. “But I can’t afford to slow down. Not yet.”

“You’ll be safe to take a rest here.” He said. “We could get a doctor to look at you, but I’d say you look patched up pretty good already. Did you do this on your own or did you have friends?” He asked. Aspen suddenly froze, if she said one wrong word he’d figure everything out. She’d be dead, or worse.

“I, uh. Yeah, I had friends.” Aspen said.

“Where are they now?” Kaiden asked.

“I don’t know.” Aspen said. “We split ways not long ago.” She said.

“Sorry to hear that.” Kaiden said, just as the elevator shuttered. Aspen thought the thing was about to fall, but as it would turn out it was just stopping. The door slid open and Kaiden stepped out. There were multiple people standing just beyond the door. Two looked like armed guards, but the rest were just… People.

“Hey, Hey.” Kaiden said. “Step back and give them some room. Someone get a wheelchair over here.” He started giving out orders like he was used to it. Aspen was frozen in place, unable to operate at this point. The people, they looked so normal. The walls were so clean, the floor was sparkling. The ceiling was lit with bright fluorescent bulbs.

One person stepped forward, pushing a wheelchair. Aspen barely even noticed as he wheeled her way past her and got Tobias into the chair. The noise all began to blend together, none of this made any sense. The end of the world was going on outside, and this place was so normal? How?

She vaguely noticed a woman in front of her, standing just inches away from her face. She was saying something, but it just wouldn’t register.

“Aspen?” She asked, seemingly multiple times before Aspen shifted her head to look at her, breaking out of the trance- like state. Aspen blinked a few times, looking at her. Short bright blue hair, what had definitely faded with time, Crystal blue eyes, both of them were around the same height. Something told Aspen she knew her from somewhere.

“Do I know you?” Aspen asked.

“It’s me, Emma.” She answered.

“Emma…” Aspen chewed on the name, trying to remember. Then it clicked. “Emma! I thought you were dead!” She said.

“I know it was kind of a dick move what I did to you guys, but I had to see what it was like in here.” Emma said.

“You made us all think you were dead so you could see the bunker?” Aspen asked. Emma shamefully nodded.

“I know, you have every right to be mad at me.” Emma began, only to be cut off when Aspen wrapped her arms around her. “Or don’t be mad.” She said. “I like that too.”

“I missed you guys.” Aspen said. “Is everyone else here?” Aspen asked.

“They, uh.” Emma said. “I haven’t seen them since the night I left you.” She said pulling away from Aspen. She looked over her shoulder at the small crowd. “How, how about we go somewhere a little more private to talk?” She asked.

“Yeah, sure.” Aspen said.

“Just follow me.” Emma said. “I can give you the grand tour.” She said as she began walking. Aspen limped after her, doing her best to ignore the pain.

“This place is so…” Aspen trailed, looking for words.

“Amazing?” Emma asked.

“That’s one word for it.” Aspen said.

“You can easily get lost down here because everything looks just that same, so just as a tip, there’s maps all around posted on the walls. I can get you one of your own if you want.” She said. “But trust me, after a few days you’ll have it down. These rooms we’re walking past right now, these are all labs. You most likely won’t need to go in there unless you feel like sciencing the shit out of something for no reason.”

“There’s no rules about who uses the labs?” Aspen asked. Back in Georgia, they barely even let certified scientists use the labs. Much less untrained klutzes like Aspen.

“Nah, not really.” She said. “Only a few rules. Don’t blow the place to kingdom come, down burn the place down, don’t gas everybody, don’t kill yourself. Basically just don’t be a dumbass. Also, put your shit back when you’re done.”

“I can do that.” Aspen said, almost wanting to get in there and mix things together for the heck of it. Only a few minutes in and already forgetting her mission.

“Up ahead, through those doors there…” Emma said, pointing out a set of double doors up ahead. “That’s the showers. You look like you could use one. Smell like it too.” She said.

“Thanks.” Aspen mumbled, becoming self-conscious about her own foul smell, her matted hair, her blood and dirt crusted skin. Yeah, as soon as she could she was going to hit up those showers. They didn’t really have showers back in Georgia, they had creeks and ponds. And that was about as good as you could get. Good luck trying to get clean during winter.

Emma turned down a hallway, Aspen followed. They were suddenly in a large open area that had a lot of tables and chairs.

“Cafeteria, dinner isn’t for a few more hours. But if you’re hungry I’m sure we can bend the rules for an old friend.” Emma said. Aspen suddenly became aware of how hungry she really was. She’d been unconscious, not eating, for days. She hadn’t had a moment of rest since she woke up.

“I uh, I can wait.” Aspen said. Emma smiled.

“If you say so.” She said, pushing through a set of doors. They were now back in a hallway, this time doors were on each side, spaced at even intervals. Emma walked to a nearby one and pulled the door open, waving Aspen inside. Aspen realized it was a small room. One bed, a chair, a small table, a lamp, a small dresser, a footlocker. The walls in here were decorated with some artwork, which was a little dark for Aspen’s taste.

“This is my room.” Emma said. “You can crash in here until we can hook you up with your own room.” She said. “Go ahead and sit down, get those boots off.” She said. Aspen didn’t argue as she walked over to the bed and threw herself down on it, it was the softest thing she’d felt in an eternity. She just wished she could sleep right now.

She pulled at her bootstraps, being extra carful as she took them off. But it was all for naught as she pulled her boot she managed to send multiple daggers of pain through her entire leg. But one the boot was off, she felt so much better. She sighed as she looked at the blood soaked bandage.

“I ripped a stich out.” She said, pulling the bandage.

“Let me help you.” Emma said as she swatted Aspen’s hands away and easily unraveled the soiled bandage. She looked nearly shocked as she stared at Aspen’s foot. “Who did these stiches? A two year old?” she asked.

“Probably.” Aspen said as she laid back on the bed. “How bad is this going to hurt?” She asked.

“Lucky for you, I’m now a trained EMT. I’ll have you fixed up right quick.” She said as she walked over to the footlocker and rummaged through it, taking out a first aid kit.

“So what have you been doing all this time?” Aspen asked her. “How’d your plan for a band go?” She asked. Emma laughed a little.

“I’ve got my guitar if you still want to play bass.” She said. Aspen laughed.

“I’d love to.” She said. “But sadly, I can’t play bass and I can’t even move my right hand.” She said.

“Really?” Emma asked. “You seriously got messed up.”

“Thanks for pointing it out.” Aspen said. She heard a knock at the door.

“Are you in there?” A man’s voice asked. “Are you with the one who saved my son?” He asked.

“Maybe now’s not a good time.” Emma answered him.

“I just need to say thank you to her.” He answered.

“No, seriously. Now’s not a good time.” Emma said.

“I’m fine, Emma. He can come in.” Aspen said. Emma shot her a sorrowful look. She heard the door swinging open slowly.

“Holy shit… Aspen.” The man in the doorway said. “You’re alive.” He said. Aspen’s face twisted with anger and rage.

“Motherfucker.” Aspen mumbled. “Get out of here! Go away!” She yelled at him.

“No, Aspen.” He said. “It’s okay. It’s me, Ed.” He said.

“Go the fuck away!” She yelled at him.

“She knows who you are.” Emma told him. “That’s why she’s like this. I warned you.” She said. Aspen looked angrily at her.

“Why didn’t you fucking tell me?” Aspen asked.

“You didn’t have to know.” She said.

“Aspen…” Ed began.

“Shut up! You don’t get to talk.” Aspen yelled at him.

“Please Aspen, Just listen to me.” He said.

“I don’t have to listen to a word you say.” Aspen said.

“Then just don’t talk.” He said, before Aspen could interrupt he continued. “I’m a fuck up, I’ve done horrible, horrible things to you. I can’t even begin to put into words the levels of arrogance and foolishness I’ve expressed towards you. Honestly, I wouldn’t judge you if you shot me dead right here and now.” Ed said.

“Just give me a gun.” Aspen said.

“But, you’re here now. Which tells me there is something seriously fucked up going on out there and I also know something you don’t want us to know.” He said.

“And that would be?” She asked. He looked to Emma, and sighed.

“I know you’re working for the CDC Council.” He said. “I know you’re here to do recon on us.” He said. Emma looked shocked.

“Yeah, you’re not the only one with secrets.” Aspen snapped at her.

“Anyways, with you being here now. You’re going to need help. My help.” He said.

“And how’s that?” Aspen asked.

“You’re alone. I’m connected. I’m well liked and very influential. You’re going to want that if you’re going to get anywhere.” He said.

“Why should I trust you?” Aspen asked.

“You shouldn’t.” He answered. “I’ve done too much to you to make you trust me here and now. I don’t deserve your trust. But I do deserve a chance to make things up to you.” He said.

“Do you?” She asked. “You’re way past redemption in my eyes.”

“Then don’t forgive me.” He said. “Don’t do it for me, do it for you. You’re a soldier, you know what a valuable asset is in battle. You know what I could mean to your cause, but you refuse only because past association. You’re putting everything on the line because you don’t like me.” He said.

“I don’t see a better reason.” Aspen said. “I have no reason to trust you, or to want to trust you.”

“If I wanted you dead, You’d have died two days ago.” He said.

“What?” She asked.

“You didn’t think we weren’t monitoring your every move, did you?” He asked. “We had multiple moles within your ranks the entire time.”

“So why didn’t you stop us?” She asked.

“It wasn’t my call.” He said. “But this is.”

He walked out the door and paused in the threshold, looking back at Aspen. He looked everything like he used to. But he acted like he had half a brain. She didn’t know whether this really was the same guy or not. But she still had no grounds for trust.

“Come to my lab as soon as you can. I have something I want to, I need to, show you.” He said as he looked at Emma. “This stays between us. If word gets out, I’ll kill you. I will.” He said. Emma nodded. Aspen could hear his footsteps retreating down the hallway. Aspen looked over to Emma, Emma looked at Aspen.

“You lied to me.” Aspen said.

“You lied to me.” Emma said.

“We’re good?” Aspen asked.

“We’re good.” Emma said. “Nobody’s going to know. I promise.” She said.

“Since your promises are worth so much. Just like the time you promised to never leave us.” Aspen said.

“That was a long time ago.” Emma said.

“You’d think I’d forget?” Aspen asked.

“I thought you’d be dead by now.” She answered.

“That’s definitely reassuring.” Aspen said. Emma lowered her voice and looked Aspen square in the eye.

“I just want you to know, I’m on your side. I don’t pledge my allegiance to these people, or yours.” She said. Aspen nodded.

“What do you think that asshole wanted to show me?” Aspen asked.

“There’s only one way to find out in the end.” Emma said. Aspen, reached for her boots, vaguely aware of the stitches in her foot. She really couldn’t feel anything anymore. Her senses were shot at this point.

“You’re not going to put those rags back on, are you?” Emma asked, eyeing the ragged, torn up boots.

“Well, I don’t really have much of a choice.” Aspen said.

“Try these.” Emma said as she pulled a pair of red sneakers out of the footlocker. “They’ll be a lot more comfortable and they’ll help you blend in.” She said. Aspen took them in her hands, they looked brand new. Aspen hadn’t seen anything in this good of a condition since the day this all started really.

“Are you sure?” She asked. Emma smiled.

“Damn sure.” She said. Aspen struggled a little, but eventually was able to pull the shoes on. Luckily Emma and her wore the same size shoe, apparently. “See, you look more like one of us already. Minus the bruised face and all the dried blood. You should seriously do something about that.” She said.

“Later.” Aspen said. “I want to get this out of the way first.” She said as she pushed herself upwards. The limping was becoming annoying, really. But the pain was all so mute, maybe it was because she was hungry and tired or maybe it was just because her mind was blocking it all out at this point. “Where’s his lab?” She asked.

“Just go back the way we came. You’ll be able to find it from there.” Emma said.

“That’d be great if I knew which way we came from.” Aspen answered.

“Hey, don’t look at me.” Emma said. “You’ll never figure out the place’s layout if you never try.” She said.

“So you’re going to just kick me out on my ass then, huh?” Aspen asked.

“Pretty much.” Emma said as she shut the door behind Aspen. Nice.

It seemed to take half an eternity and an accidental detour through the shower room, luckily not in use, to get to where she was going. She was able to spot the asshole standing outside a door to one of the labs. He saw Aspen and instantly went inside. Once Aspen was inside he looked at her, with one eyebrow raise.

“It took you a while to get here.” He said.

“Cut the small talk, get to what matters.” She said. “I’d prefer to not waste my time talking with you.” She said.

“As you wish.” He said. “You’re here for a recon mission, but I suppose you have secondary objectives too.” He said, eying her. “A few of your people have gone missing, without a trace?” He asked.

“You know where they are.” Aspen deducted.

“No.” He said. “Not at all.”

“Then why the hell am I here?” She asked.

“I’ve been conducting test on human blood, trying to find a cure for the infected. I’ve received multiple blood donations and have tested them all.” He said.

“So?” She asked.

“The donations are not from anyone inside the bunker.” He said. “I ran the samples side by side with the blood of everyone here. Not a single match. But I was able to figure out that the samples were taken from only two to three individuals.” He said. “Judging by the freshness of the samples, the donors couldn’t have been far from here. So either they’re just outside the doors of the bunker, or they’re in the bunker but not documented.” He said.

“I’m following.” She said. “But I need more.”

“So we’re being professional.” He said. “I like that. Through the testes I ran on the blood, I was able to find elevated amounts of Calcium, Iron, and Magnesium. As well as trace amounts of Fluoride.” He said.

“How does that help me?” She asked.

“Inside the bunker we filter out the Fluoride and other useless minerals, we only drink purified water. There’s only one place inside the bunker that uses regular tap water, which is the containment level.” He said.

“So you’re saying the people I’m looking for may be on the containment level?” She asked.

“If they’re in the bunker, they’d be there.” He said. “I can get you down there, but only for a short time. You’d only be able to take a look.”

“And if I wanted to get someone out of there?” She asked.

“I can’t help you.” He said. “You’d have to find a way on your own. All I can do is help.” He said.

“So you’re saying I can do it, just you’re refuse to help.” She said.

“I have to look out for myself.” He said.

“And it seems like you’re good at doing that.” She said. He shook his head.

“If you want to go down and look around, I need to know because It’s not going to be fun or easy. We’d be avoiding guards the entire time and possibly even prisoners for that matter. If either of us gets caught or if they even see us, they’d throw us in a cell of our own. And then, one way or another, your story is going to come out, and at that point it’ll be too late. You can’t save anyone if you’re rotting in a cell next to them. Otherwise, there’s nothing I can do other than send you on your way.” He said.

Choice

[Agree to check the containment level]

[Decline the offer]

• [Agree to check the containment level] It's so so so so risky.. but if there's the chance her friends are there, she should go.

Aspen Diaz The elevator crept downward at a snail’s pace. At least it felt that way, she felt like at any time this guard was going to fi

• [Agree to check the containment level]

I agree with wishwash on this, but the risk... damn it, I don't have a good feeling for this choice. However, I am afraid that declining the offer could be wasting the only chance Aspen is going to get.

Aspen Diaz The elevator crept downward at a snail’s pace. At least it felt that way, she felt like at any time this guard was going to fi

• [Decline the offer]

Defintly too dangerous

• [Agree to check the containment level]

I hope we are not going to regret this

• Evan Banks

“No.” Evan said. “Now’s not a good time to be looking around the town. If someone’s out there, it’s better if we’re together.” Evan said. She nodded.

“Alright. Let’s just get inside then.” She said. Evan stepped inside and pulled the door shut behind him.

“It’s weird to be back here.” Evan said.

“You’ve got that right. I almost thought I’d never see this place again.” She said. Evan laid the house key on a nearby table as he walked on. The silence of the house was strange, he could hear every footstep he took. The wooden floor creaked beneath his boots.

Just as he walked past the doorway to the dining room, a man jumped out at him and pinned him against the wall. He forced his arm over Evan’s throat, making it difficult for Evan to breath.

“What are you doing, Miller?” Evan asked. Milled looked him straight in the eye.

“You seriously didn’t think I would find out about you?” Miller asked.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Evan snapped at him.

“Don’t play dumb asshole.” Miller said. “I know the truth about who you are and where you came from.” Miller said.

“What the hell are you doing?” Rebecca asked nearly frightened as she saw what was happening.

“Rebecca, just stay out of this.” Evan said. “Let me handle it.”

“Smart move.” Miller said. “Now give me some answers.”

“What kind of answers are you looking for?” Evan asked.

“Who are you working for and where are they?” Miller asked.

“I seriously have no clue what you’re talking about.” Evan said.

“Stop playing dumb. I know you’re a bandit.” Miller said. Evan looked over Miller’s shoulder and saw Josh standing near the back of the room. So it was the kid.

“Out of all the people who could’ve turned me in, I would never have thought it’d be you.” Evan aimed the comment as Josh. Then he returned his gaze to Miller. “And you, even if I tell you where they are, what do you expect to do? Kill them? You’d be dead before you even got near the camp.” Evan said.

“I never said I was going after them.” Miller said.

“Then what do you want to know?” Evan asked.

“Are we going to be safe around you?” He asked. Evan smirked. In one nearly fluid motion he was able to push Miller off of him, and send him to the ground. Evan bent his arm back until it just wouldn’t naturally go any farther. Evan could see Rebecca looking at him out of the corner of his eye.

“If I was going to hurt you, much less kill you, you’d be dead already.” Evan said, just as he released Miller’s arm and stood back up. “Now, is this going to continue to be a problem? Because I’d more than happily dump you guys here and go.” He said. Miller glared at him as he stood back up.

“No. We don’t have a problem.” Miller said, as he marched away. Evan could see Josh approaching him. Evan lifted his hand towards him, telling him to stop.

“Don’t.” Evan said, shaking his head. “Not now.” Evan walked on down the hallway and into bedroom. He threw himself down on the bed and sighed. He shouldn’t have let them come. All they were doing was slowing him down. That and causing problems. Blind servants loyal to the CDC tend to do that, cause problems. They think they’re so right.

“You handled your temper well.” Rebecca said as she walked in.

“I wanted to rip his head off.” Evan said.

“I know you did.” She said. “But you didn’t.” She said as she sat down on the edge of the bed.

“How’s the girl?” Evan asked.

“She’s holding in there. She’s definitely a strong one. But she won’t last much longer like this. I think Josh ripped the stitched while moving her, because she’s bleeding again.” She answered.

“I thought as much.” Evan said. “How bad is it?” He asked.

“She already bleed through the bandage.” She said.

“Damn.” He said. “I guess all we can do now is wait.”

“We should just keep going.” She said. “We can’t afford to rest.”

“We can’t travel if our people are collapsing from exhaustion.” Evan said.

“Then maybe you should carry the girl for a little while.” She said.

“After that little bout with Miller?” Evan asked. “I’d be surprised if he let me get near her with my hands tied.” He said.

“I guess you’re right.” She said and a brief silence filled the room. “I just wanted you to know I thought you were doing the right thing by helping these people.” She said.

“There’s nothing selfless about it.” Evan said. “I have my motives.”

“Good intentions are often shrouded with selfishness.” She said. “You’re not a horrible person, Evan. You’re a human, doing what he has to just to survive. We just went about surviving in a different way than the others.”

“Rebecca, I want you to be honest.” Evan said. “At the pace we’re going, do you think the girl will make it?” He asked. She shook her head.

“She’d bleed out before we get there even if we were running.” She said. “And I don’t see a working vehicle anywhere.”

“What do you suppose we do?” Evan asked.

“We have to do the best we can.” She said. “I have a little medical knowledge. I can stitch a wound. It won’t be pretty, but it’ll buy us some time.” She said.

“Will it be enough time?” He asked.

“I don’t know.” She said.

“There’s only one way to find out.” He said as he sat up. “How long do you need?” He asked.

“If I want to do it right, maybe ten minutes. But if I just need to get it done, maybe four.” She said.

“Aim for ten, expect to get four.” Evan said as he stood up. She eyed him.

“Wait. You’re actually doing this?” She asked.

“I’m doing what I have to to keep someone alive.” He said.

“Well shit.” Rebecca said. “I’ll need supplied for stitches.”

“Like?” He asked.

“A needle, antibiotics, tread. Maybe some rags.” She said.

“I don’t know if I have any of that. But if I do, it’d be in the hall closet.” He said as he walked out of the room back into the hallway. He walked down towards the closet and pulled it open. He shook his head and smiled. He hadn’t been here in a while, and by the looks of it no one else had either. The closet was fully stocked, full of food and supplies. He rummaged through the closet, looking for anything useful. He sighed when he came up empty handed. He had a needle, rags and antibiotics. But no thread. None of this was useful.

“We don’t have any thread.” Evan said. “Maybe we could just tie the rags around the wound?” He asked.

“That wouldn’t help much at the rate she’s bleeding.” She said. “Evan, it looks like the knife hit an artery.” She said.

“So it’s worse than we though.” He said.

“She’s going to keep bleeding until someone can close the wound properly.” She said. Evan sighed and put everything back into the closet. It was no use. Instead he grabbed out a handful of energy bars and started off into the living room.

Lizbeth was laid out on the couch. Milled was busy pacing back and forth, Josh was sitting in a chair staring at the ceiling. He was either asleep of falling asleep by the looks of it.

“What are you doing?” Rebecca asked.

“Someone has to tell them.” Evan said as he continued into the room. He looked to Miller. “You should sit down, try to sleep. We’ve got a long hike ahead of us.”

“Since when do you care?” Miller asked.

“Who said I did?” Evan asked, as he held out the energy bars. “Want one?” He asked. Miller reluctantly picked one out and peeled open the wrapper.

“What’s with the sudden kindness?” He asked. Evan’s eyes drifted over to Lizbeth, not only had she bleed through the bandage, but she’d bleed through the sheet that was covering her. Evan sighed.

“I’m not being nice.” Evan said. “I, uh, Just have something you should hear.”

“And that is?” He asked.

“Rebecca, she was looking at Lizbeth.” Evan said.

“And?” Miller asked.

“She said…” Evan trailed. “She said it looked like the knife punctured and artery. She’s bleeding out, and if we can’t stop the bleeding soon she’s going to bleed out.” Evan said. Miller stopped mid-bite.

“What?” He asked. “But the wound was stitched shut.”

“Yeah, the wound was.” Evan said. “Not the artery. She’s still bleeding. Not to mention the fact that those stitches she has have been ripped open.” He said. Miller looked over at Lizbeth, Evan swore the red spot on the sheet had already doubled in size. Miller nodded.

“Okay, what do we do?” He asked.

“Right now, what we need to do is try to find anything that will help slow the bleeding, since we won’t be able to stop it.” He said.

“Where do we look?” He asked.

“We’ve got the entire house.” Evan said. “If you’re not sure if something’s useful or not, bring it to Rebecca. She’ll know if we can use it or not.” He said.

“And what are you going to be doing?” Miller asked.

“Same as you, looking for supplies.” He said, as he walked over to Josh. Evan snapped his fingers in front of his face a couple of times. Josh didn’t budge. “Let him sleep. Two of us will be enough.” Evan said. Miller nodded, then reluctantly left the room. Evan caught Rebecca’s cold stare.

“What are you doing?” She asked.

“I’m giving him hope. It’s better than sitting around waiting for her to die.” He said as he left the room. He walked out into the hallway and saw Miller rummaging through the closet. Miller looked up and saw Evan.

“Hey, how about this…” Miller began to speak but was cut off by an unexpected noise. It was something that Evan hadn’t heard in a long time, nor had he ever expected to hear it again.

There was a knock at the front door.

Evan looked at Miller. Miller looked At Even. Both of them looked just as confused as the other. Evan turned around and looked at Rebecca. She was standing still, looking at the door as if it was some sort of alien. There was another rasp at the door. Evan stepped forwards towards the door and looked through the peephole. There was a person standing on the outside, they were short. Shorter than Lizbeth. It was hard to define what they looked like, as they were wearing a gas mask over their face. They wore denim jeans and an olive jacket. The oddest part of it was that they didn’t have a gun. They lifted their hand to the door once more.

“Are you going to answer it?” Rebecca asked. Evan awkwardly nodded. His trembling hand found its way to the doorknob. He slowly pulled it open.

“Bonjour!” They said, all together a little too happy. “Infecté?” They asked. Evan shook his head.

“What?” He asked.

“Are you infected?” They asked, in nearly broken English. Evan shook his head.

“No, we’re not infected.” He said. They reached up to their gas mask and pulled it off, over their head. To Evan surprise, it was a girl. She had brown-blonde hair that fell to her shoulder the second she took the mask off. Her eyes were a light hazel. Her skin was very light. She had a small, curious smile.

“Hurt?” She asked. Evan looked back at his group. “Do you need help?” She asked. “We can help.”

Miller shook his head in disbelief, looking at Evan as if to ask, how are we all not dead yet? Rebecca hadn’t moved an inch.

Choice

[“We need help.”]

[“We’re fine.”]

Aspen Diaz

“I want to do this.” She said. “I need to know if my people are down there.” She said. He nodded.

“Okay, if that’s what you want.” He said.

“It is.” Aspen answered.

“I can’t get you down there.” He said.

“But you told me you could.” She snapped at him.

“I told you I could get you down there, I didn’t say it would be me directly.” He said.

“Who then?” She asked.

“Luckily for you, you seem to have a friend that works as a guard that can be swayed to our side.” He said.

“Emma?” She asked. He nodded.

“I’ll talk to her and get her to get you down there.” He said. “But you still won’t be safe.”

“I don’t really care about safe.” Aspen said to him. “I just need it done.”

“So be it.” He said. “How about you get yourself cleaned up, I’ll go have a talk with Emma and we can meet back here in about an hour.” He said.

“Okay.” Aspen said, wearily. Still cautious to trust him. Or anyone. Aspen turned and began heading towards the door, when Ed spoke up.

“Aspen…” He said. “I’m glad you’re still alive. I really am.”

Aspen grunted as she pushed her way through the door and back into the hallway. He didn’t deserve to be glad about anything. He didn’t even get to be sorry at this point. He was lucky he was alive, in her opinion. But he was right about one thing. She needed allies on the inside. And while she was reluctant to call Ed an ally, he was the closest thing to one.

Going back through the mazes of hallways, she found herself amazed by how clean the place was. The floor was sparkling, the walls were gleaming. The windows on the lab all shined in the light. Aspen was amazed that something so clean existed, and she almost felt bad for being so dirty inside of it. She almost felt bad for being to one who was responsible for destroying this place.

Almost.

As she walked down the hallway, she saw a janitor mopping an already sparkling hallway. In Georgia this would’ve been seen as a waste of supplies, but here, apparently it was something that was done like ritual. She also took into account that this was the first other person she’d seen since she got here. Where was everyone?

As she walked into the showers she saw a man walking out. He smelled faintly of lavender and his brown hair was still wet, clinging to his forehead. He looked over at Aspen with a look of half-true sympathy.

“Are you new here?” He asked. Aspen nodded her head.

“Yeah. I’m pretty new.” She said. He smiled a little.

“You’re the one that brought back Tobias?” He asked.

“Yeah, that was me.” She said.

“You’re quite the hero, you know that?” He asked.

“Me?” She asked.

“Yeah, you. Quit being so bashful about it.” He said. “But one thing you can do is get a shower. Do you even have a change of clothes?” He asked.

“No.” Aspen answered.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll have someone drop you off a set.” He said.

“Thank you.” Aspen said.

“It’s the least I can do.” He said. “You can grab a shower kit over there on the far wall. Be sure to get a towel too. I made that mistake once. Once.” He said.

“Thank you.” Aspen said.

“My name’s Jim, by the way. I’m kind of the quote unquote ‘groundskeeper’ here. If it’s broken, I fix it. If it’s dirty, I clean it. If it’s dead… Well, that’s not really my forte.” He said. “You have a nice day now.” He said as he walked off.

“O-kay…” Aspen said. That was little bit of a weird way to exit. None the less, Aspen continued into the showers, noticing the steam rising from the stalls. Just as Jim had said, she found the toiletries along the back wall, all neatly arranged on shelves, just there for the taking.

She greedily grabbed some soap and shampoo, not too worried about the absence of conditioner. She noticed the towels laying on a separate shelf, each one neatly folded and so clean… They were all white without as much as a stain. How did something like that survive this long?

After collecting her thoughts as well as her supplies, she headed towards a nearby shower stall. It wasn’t big, but it was more than she’d had in a long time. She looked at her clothes and sighed. They’d served her well, but now it was time to say goodbye.

She was able to pull her clothes off after a few moments of struggle, apparently it’s a lot harder to take clothes off with only one hand. She threw her clothes into a pile on the floor, then looked at her bandages. Those would be a pain in the ass if they got wet, so she started the process of unwinding the bandages. Looking at the gash in her hand made her want to throw up, the one in her foot wasn’t much better.

But the one on her side, it seemed to already be much better than it was before. Yeah, it still hurt like hell, but at least it wasn’t feeling like death incarnate anymore. She lifted her right hand and look at it. Every now and then she could feel a brief tingling sensation, but she still couldn’t feel her fingers, much less move them. It was at times like these she was happy to be left handed. Some people saw it as a curse, but Aspen saw it as a blessing. At least right now anyways. It always sucked trying to go golfing, there were never any left handed golf clubs anywhere.

She pulled back the curtain and stepped under the shower head and looked at it, there were no knobs to turn for water. But there was a pull chain. She reached up and pulled it, almost instantly water came from the shower head. The water was warm, but not scolding. Warm water was something Aspen never thought she’d see ever again. She stood there, letting the water drip down her body, for a moment. For some reason she could feel tears working their way into her eyes.

She forced the tears back though, or at least tried. She wasn’t too sure on how successful she actually was. She could see the dirt and grime pooling around her feet then retreating down the drain, never to be seen again. She looked at her hand once more. The jagged , red, ugly scar in her hand. She covered her right hand with her left and closed her fingers into a fist. It really didn’t do much though, because as soon as she released her hand her fingers went limp again. She still felt nothing.

Biting her lip, she looked to her right, picking up the shampoo she’d gotten.

…………………..

Turns out the water has an automatic shut off. Aspen had just been standing there, unable to move. Just caught up in the fact that this place had warm, running water. Then, all of the sudden, the water shut off.

Aspen took this as a sign, she pulled back the curtain and grabbed the towel. Now it was her who smelled like lavender. After she dried herself off, she noticed her old clothes were missing. In their place was a new set of clothes. There was a white T-shirt along with a pair of blue jeans. Aspen smiled at the simplicity of it.

After she pulled on her new clothes, no easy feat with one hand, she smiled to herself. But the smile faded as she realized her bandages were missing. Then she spotted the fresh rolls of gauze laying nearby. She happily grabbed the rolls and went about covering her various wounds.

Once she was done, she opened the stall door and stepped out. Across from her was a mirror. Aspen nearly didn’t recognize herself anymore. Her bruised face, clean skin, she was someone she didn’t recognize.

She became aware of the fact that she’d been told to be back at the lab in an hour, then she became aware of the fact that it had definitely been more than an hour. But ultimately she came to the conclusion that she didn’t really care. They could wait for her.

She walked out of the showers and into the hallway, now more confident than before. At least she didn’t look and smell like someone who spent the last few days rolling around in a pig sty.

She eventually found her way back to the lab, after multiple wrong turns and consultations with the maps on the walls. When are they going to come out with a GPS for this place?

As soon as she entered the lab she saw Emma and Ed, both look relieved as well as a bit cross.

“Glad you could finally join us.” Ed remarked.

“You’re looking a lot better than you were before.” Emma said.

“So what’s the plan?” Aspen asked.

“The plan is, you stick right next to me at all times.” Emma said.

“Sounds like the best plan ever.” Aspen remarked sarcastically.

“It’s all we have.” Emma said. “Once we get down there, it’ll be 10 percent planned and 90 percent improvisation. We have no idea what to expect.” She said.

“Fair enough. When are we headed out?” Aspen asked.

“Now.” Ed said. “You’ve got about a fifteen minute window if everything goes exactly right.”

“And if it doesn’t?” She asked.

“Just don’t think about it.” Emma said. “Let’s head on down.” Emma said, turning to leave the lab. Aspen turned to follow her.

“Aspen

• .” Ed said. “Be careful.” He said. Aspen rolled her eyes and continued walking. He was either pretending to care or actually caring, she wasn’t sure which was worse.

She followed Emma to an elevator. She pressed the call button and after a moment the doors slid open.

“If we’re just taking the elevator why didn’t I go alone?” Aspen asked.

“Containment’s on level 3, go ahead and give the button a push.” Emma answered. Aspen reached out and pressed the button labeled S3. Nothing happened.

“I don’t get it.” Aspen said. Emma pulled out a plastic card from her pocket.

“It’s secure, dummy. Employees only.” She said, as she slid the card into a card reader Aspen didn’t see before. Then she pressed the S3 button. The doors slid shut and the elevator began moving. “You’re one though chick, you know that?” Emma asked.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Aspen asked.

“Look at you, you nearly died and you’re already back at it. In my experience, that’s enough to make the men run away.” She said.

“Good, let them run.” Aspen said.

“You know I’ve always been jealous of you.” Emma said.

“Why?” Aspen asked.

“You were always the best in everything.” Emma said. “You were top of the class, you were the most beautiful, you were the smartest, you were everything I could never be.” She said.

“That’s not true, Em.” Aspen said. “I’m no different than you.”

“And that’s what I don’t like about you.” She said. “You’re so damn humble about it. It makes it damn near impossible to hate you.”

“Why would you want to hate me?” Aspen asked.

“I don’t.” Emma said. “Because I can’t.”

“You’ve got your talents to you know.” Aspen said. “We all do, mine isn’t any better than yours.”

“Huh.” Emma stiffed a laugh as the elevator slowed to a stop and the doors slid open. Emma stepped out first and looked around, then motion Aspen on out. Aspen stepped out of the elevator and looked around. The place was just a bunch of doors, spaced out along the walls. No windows or bars. Just iron doors.

“How many of these are full?” Aspen asked.

“Barely any.” Emma answered as she began walking. “So it should be easy to find who you’re looking for.” She said as she stepped over to a panel on the wall, she tapped it and it came on. An LCD screen. “Anyone in particular you’re looking for?” She asked.

“Well, uh, her name is Raven. Raven Lee.” Aspen answered. She punched it into the screen and nothing came up. She shrugged her shoulder and typed something else in.

“Well, we have to Lee’s here.” She said. “One’s a fifty year old man named Howard, while the other’s an unnamed female.” She said.

“That’s a good start.” Aspen said.

“Let’s go check it out.” Emma said as she walked on through the containment level as if she had an idea of where she was going. She stopped in front of a seemingly random iron door. The number plate welded on the front read 1029. “You ready?” She asked.

“Yeah.” Aspen said. Emma slid her security card into the reader. Aspen could hear the locks releasing. Emma pulled the door open. The inside was dimly lit by one incandescent bulb that hung from the ceiling. Aspen stepped into the cell, she heard a soft whimper and looked towards the direction it came from.

She saw a figure laying on her knees, her hands tied behind her back. A few of her fingers were bent at odd angles. The back of her once white tank top was ripped and soaked in blood. She had no shoes or socks and it seemed that she was missing a few toes, seemingly chopped off haphazardly. There were needle marks all along her arms. Bruises covered her skin. She was shaking.

“Raven?” Aspen asked. As soon as Aspen spoke she attempted to flee, but didn’t get far as she only backed into a corner.

“Please, no more! I told you everything! I swear.” She said.

“Raven, it’s me. Aspen.” Aspen said as she took a step closer to her.

“A-Aspen?” She asked. Aspen could see blood coming from her mouth, though her messy hair covered her face.

“Yeah, It’s me.” Aspen said, reaching out and placing a hand on Raven’s shoulder. She flinched, but accepted it.

“I’m so sorry Aspen.” Raven said. “I’m so sorry.”

“You don’t need to be sorry Raven, you’re safe now.” She said.

“I told them everything. They know about us. They know where our base is. I told them. I’m sorry.” Raven said. Her hair seemed darker than before, maybe it was the lighting. Maybe not, but her hair was nearly black.

“It’s okay Raven. You did the best you could.” Aspen said, as she reached out and brushed away the hair from Raven’s face. She gasped as she caught a look at her face. There was a big scar going from above her eyebrow, through her right eye and to her cheek.

“Yeah… They took my eye.” Raven said.

“Jesus Raven, I’m so sorry.” Aspen said, hugging Raven. “Emma.” Aspen called.

“Yeah?” Emma asked from outside.

“What the hell do you people do to your prisoners here?” She asked.

“I’m not too sure, it’s not my job.” She answered. “But I know they’re fond of dismembering people, lashings. Drug injections. Anything to get an answer.” She said.

“You people are barbaric.” Aspen said.

“Are your people any better?” She asked. Aspen walked towards the door. Emma stepped in front of her.

“How are we going to get her out of here?” Aspen asked. Emma shook her head. “What does that mean?” She asked.

“Sorry about this.” She said, shoving Aspen back into the cell before slamming the iron door shut. Aspen heard the locks clicking back into place. She pounded her fists on the door.

“What the hell are you doing? Let me out of here!” Aspen yelled.

“Stop.” Raven said. “They can’t hear you. I tried that for the first few days, it doesn’t work.” She said. Aspen walked back over to where Raven walk sitting. She leaned back against the wall and slid down, until she was sitting next to her.

“I’m sorry.” Aspen said. “This isn’t what I wanted.” Raven lowered her head onto Aspen’s shoulder and sighed.

“I know.” She said. “It’s not what any of us wanted.”

• ["We need help."] Well they do, don't they? Lizbeth needs help or she'll die, I don't think they have much choice by now.

And Jesus Christ, Raven! She's alive!

.” Ed said. “Be careful.” He said. Aspen rolled her eyes and continued walking. He was either pretending to care or actually caring, she was

• [We need help] That woman seems kind of creepy, but any extra helping hand is needed. And if she turned out to be a traitor or something, they would outnumber her (she didn't have a group with her, right?)

And omg Raven! Think about if we wouldn't have gone to the containment level, would we have ever seen her again?

.” Ed said. “Be careful.” He said. Aspen rolled her eyes and continued walking. He was either pretending to care or actually caring, she was

• And Jesus Christ, Raven! She's alive!

Yes, yes she is.

["We need help."] Well they do, don't they? Lizbeth needs help or she'll die, I don't think they have much choice by now. And Jesus Christ, Raven! She's alive!

• (she didn't have a group with her, right?)

She didn't say anything specifically about being part of a group, but she does use the word 'We'...

Think about if we wouldn't have gone to the containment level, would we have ever seen her again?

Possibly. Maybe.

wishwash posted: »

[We need help] That woman seems kind of creepy, but any extra helping hand is needed. And if she turned out to be a traitor or something, th

• [“We need help.”] I think this is unlikely to be a trap. Most traps are probably more straightforward. I think, unless she has some complicated and unexpected agenda, it is unlikely that she tries to trick the group by offering her help. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I also think they run out of options because of the Lizbeth situation.

Then there is Raven... well, as happy as I am that she is still alive, she got fucked up badly and I feel seriously sorry for her. Aspen is pretty much in a similarly messed up situation now and that makes me scared, for both of them. I don't know if both of them are going to make it out of there again.

• But her eye, her poor eye... I can't believe the Ohioans can be so cruel to their prisoners.

I'm kinda wondering whether it was both Ed and Emma who betrayed Aspen or if Emma was acting on her own. Probably Ed was involved, but you never know.

And Jesus Christ, Raven! She's alive! Yes, yes she is.

• [“We need help.”]

This is risky but turning her offer down could be even worse for Lizbeth. I think they have to try and hope for the best.

• Evan Banks

Evan looked from his group, to Lizbeth and then back to the girl. He nodded slowly.

“We need help.” Evan said. The girl nodded.

“We go to the Sanctuary, we have a doctor.” She said, motioning for them to follow.

“Are you sure about this?” Miller asked.

“What choice do we have?” Evan asked. “I have the gun, you just carry the girl… And wake up Josh for God’s sake.” Evan said.

“There is no need for weapons, I did not come armed.” The girl said. Even eyed her.

“I don’t care what you say, I have no reason to trust you. And I will have no problem putting a bullet through that pretty little head of yours.” Evan said. She narrowed her eyes at him, as if she was about to say something but then just let it pass.

“Let’s get going.” Miller said as he walked back into the room, this time carrying Lizbeth in his arms. Josh trailed behind him looking dreary-eyed.

“I have the feeling I missed something.” Josh muttered. The girl eyed Lizbeth and looked at her leg.

“What happened?” She asked.

“She got stabbed.” Miller said. “You can help us right?”

“Me? No.” She said. “Our doctor can. Just follow me.”

Evan was the first to follow her out the door, followed by Miller and Rebecca and Josh bringing up the rear. Evan looked around.

“So, where are you from?” Evan asked.

“France. Vannes to be exact. I came here with my family on vacation. We got stuck here just like everybody else.” She said.

“You like America?” Evan asked. She shrugged.

“I guess it is not so bad.” She said.

“So, where are your parents?” Evan asked.

“Dead.” She said. “The died less than a week after the outbreak.” After she said this Evan fell into an uncomfortable silence, not sure of what to say. After a short moment he changed the subject.

“Where is this ‘Sanctuary’?” He asked. She pointed up towards the church.

“The church.” She said.

“Was that you up there in the belfry?” He asked.

“Huh?” She asked. “Oh, yes. That was me. I stay up there sometimes because it is quiet, unlike the rest of Sanctuary.” She said.

“How many people do you have there?” Evan asked.

“Right now we have about 12 permanent residents. Many travelers pass through here though. We help give them safe passage to where ever they are going.” She said.

“So, about how many total?” Evan asked.

“Not counting you, about twenty.” She said.

“Twenty people? In the church? How do you feed them all?” Evan asked.

“We are very resourceful people. Our leader, Mikal, makes sure out gardens have enough food for everyone.” She said.

“And this Mikal, who is he exactly?” Evan asked. “What’s he like?”

“He is a survivalist, just like you.” She said, Evan wasn’t sure if that was an insult or not so just ignored him. “He believes that the best way to survive is to make allies. Not to just lock out the world.”

“Good to know.” Evan said.

“I’m sure you will like Mikal. You seem to share a lot.” She said.

“Excuse me?” Evan asked.

“Personality wise, I mean.” She clarified.

“Huh, I like this guy already.” Evan said. He watched as she strode up the steps and pulled open the large wooden door to the church.

“Welcome to Sanctuary.” She said as she motioned Evan inside. Evan walked in, followed by the rest of the group. Once they were all in the girl followed, closing the door. Evan looked around, noting the church’s gutted interior. The walls were barren, where the pulpits should have sat were empty. Instead there were multiple cots strew out in rows, some of them occupied others not so. Multiple people were milling around the church.

“Eve, where have you been? I told you not to go wandering off anymore!” A man yelled as he approached.

“I am sorry Mikal, I just saw these people. They looked like they could use our help.” The girl answered. Mikal looked over the group with a hard gaze.

“You hurt?” He asked Evan.

“Not me, but the girl is.” Evan said. Mikal nodded.

“Take her to June, she’ll know what to do. You’re welcome to stay here for a couple of nights if you need to. Just pick a bed and fall in. Nobody cares.” Mikal said, as he turned to leave.

“Is that it?” Evan asked. Mikal stopped and looked over his shoulder at him.

“Don’t fuck with my people, or I will kill you. And I’ll have to kill Eve here too because she brought you to us. Welcome to Sanctuary. Now shut the hell up.” Mikal said as he continued walking away.

“I must apologize, he is not usually like this.” Eve said. “It is just a bad day for us. One of our members died last night, they had been with us for quite some time now.” She went on. “We should get you to the doctor now.” Eve said.

“That’d be good.” Evan said.

“This way, please.” Eve said as she walked through the church. Evan followed behind her, she stopped next to a cot with a woman sleeping in it. Eve nudged her. “Miss Streep, we have someone who needs your help.” She said. The woman groaned and sat up.

“Can I not get twenty minutes? Twenty minutes for God’s sake!” She asked.

“Sorry, but she is very hurt.” Eve said.

“Let me look at her then.” June said. “Which one of you shits is hurt?” She asked.

“Lizbeth, she got stabbed.” Miller said as he stepped forward. June looked at her leg.

“Looks like someone ripped her a new one.” June said. “Set her down on the cot and I’ll see what I can do.” She said.

“Thank you Miss Streep.” Eve said. June glared at her.

“Just get out of my way, would you?” June growled. Eve pursed her lip and took a few steps back. She looked at everyone else. “You might not want to stick around. This is going to be bloody.” She said, looking at Lizbeth who was now laid out on the cot.

“No offence, but I don’t intend on leaving her alone with someone I don’t know.” Evan said.

“No offence either, but if I intended to harm any one of you, I’d done it already.” June said. “Now, I’m not asking. I’m telling you to step away. This shit is delicate and there’s no room for error.”

“Miss Streep, I can take them to go get situated into their cots if you’d like me to.” Eve said.

“Whatever, just get away from me you little shit.” June said. Evan turned to the group and shrugged.

“I guess we go then.” Evan said. He walked next to Eve with the rest of the group behind them.

“It seems to me like some of the people here don’t really like you.” Evan said to Eve.

“Really? I thought that was just how all Americans naturally were.” She said, with a small laugh. “A lot of people here blame foreigners for the outbreak. They do not trust me.”

“I don’t see why they wouldn’t.” Evan said. “I don’t trust anyone, and I trust you.” He went on. She laughed.

“I may not be the smartest person here, but even I can tell that is a lie.” She said. “Your hand hasn’t left your gun since you have gotten here.” She explained. “You trust no one. But I can also tell you want something, so just say it.” She said.

“You’re smart. I’ll give you that.” Evan said. “I need someone from the inside that I can rely on. I may not trust you, but as of now you’re the only on I don’t hate. Everyone here seems like an asshole.”

“I am not sure if I should take that as a compliment or an insult.” She said.

“Neither.” Evan said, then lowered his voice. “Just do me a favor, and please keep an eye out. I feel like I’m flying blind in here. I have no sense of my surroundings, I need someone that can give me a leg up.” He said. She smiled a little.

“I can help you. You seem nice other than the fact you had a gun to my head.” She said.

“Not true. I never put a gun to your head.” Evan said.

“But you thought about it.” She said. “What exactly do you want to know?” She asked.

“Everything. Who can I trust, who I should stay away from. Is there anything shady going on that Mikal isn’t telling us?” he asked.

“If you want to stay away from anyone, it would have to be Nora and Clarke. They are both very dangerous people, I have only talk to them once. And I believe that conversation ended with them telling me that if I ever tried to talk to them again, they would rip my tongue out. So stay away from them.” She said.

“Okay, so that answers one of my questions.” Evan said.

“You want to know who you can trust?” She asked. “Nobody. Trust nobody. Everbody here has secrets. Secrets that they would just as soon kill you as let you know about them. We do have one though, one that would never stab you in the back.”

“And that would be?” Evan asked.

“A stray dog that hangs around here. I call him Turk.” She said. Evan laughed.

“A dog? A dog is the only thing I can trust here?” He asked. “What kind of dog is it?” He asked. Her face went red.

“I, uh… I do not know the word for it in English.” She said. “He is not a small dog though.” She went on.

“You don’t know the word for it?” He asked.

“I am doing a lot better than when this all started. I did not know any English at all.” She said. “I picked up on it after I met a teacher. Him and his group helped me learn a lot of English, but apparently dog breeds were not high on the list of priorities because we never got to that.” She said.

“Tell you what, you show this dog to me and I’ll tell you what breed it is.” He said.

“You know dogs well?” She asked.

“Yes. I was a dog person, kinda.” He said.

“I don’t know where he is right now.” She said.

“Later then.” He said.

“I guess here is fine.” She said, pointing out some empty cots. “No one sleeps near here so the surrounding cots are empty. You entire group should be able to stick together.” She said. “Now I need to get to my work before I fall behind.” She said.

“What kind of work do you do?” Evan asked.

“I tend to the gardens. We can grow food even during the winter months here.” She said. “I’ll come back later to check on you guys.” She said.

“Thanks, Eve.” Evan said. She smiled and walked off.

“Home sweet hell.” Miller muttered as he sat down on the edge of a cot.

“It’s better than nothing, I guess.” Rebecca said.

“It’s a lot better than letting Lizbeth bleed to death.” Evan said.

“Damn right.” Miller said. “Hey, Evan. Can I get a word with you?” He asked.

“Yeah, sure.” Evan said as he moved closer to Miller and sat down on the adjacent cot. “What do you need?” He asked.

“I already told you we don’t have a problem.” Miller said. “But I just need to know some things.”

“Like?” Evan asked.

“I just want to know how did Lizbeth know you? From what Josh told me, she knew you pretty well.”

Evan paused. He could just tell him the whole truth, that it was him that had attacked them so long ago. But what if he just left that part out and told him about how he ran into Lizbeth back in Athens before that. But telling a half-truth would only buy him time, Lizbeth would wake up eventually and she would more than likely tell Miller about him. And it would definitely be worse then than now.

Choice

[Tell the full truth]

[Leave the attack out]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.