House Forrester is a "Butt Monkey" Trope (a.k.a. Bad Writing)

edited November 2015 in Game Of Thrones

I was browsing through TV Tropes, and saw the term which perfectly describes the bad writing of TellTale's GoT game, especially the "This is just an advertisement for Season 2" finale called Episode 6.

House Forrester is considered a "Butt Monkey" via TV Tropes.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButtMonkey

The character who is always the butt of the demeaning joke or the "put them through hell" plotline. For whatever reason, the Butt Monkey seems to walk through life with a permanent "Kick Me" sign attached to their backs, invisible to them, but all too visible to the rest of the world. Nothing ever goes right for this character, and if something bad is going to happen to someone, chances are it's going to happen to them. Long story short, it sucks to be the Butt Monkey.
Simply having a character go through hell once or twice (no matter how severely) is not enough to be the Butt Monkey. With primary and secondary characters, it must be a regular occurrence. With tertiary characters, it must be their sole purpose to exist. It's not Karma. They don't deserve any bit of what they go through, but they're an easy target. Sometimes it's all the writers can think of to do with the character.

Comments

• They are on the losing side a bit much, but thats really just ironrath. Asher overall does pretty well, as does gared.

Anyway I hope they lighten up season 2 a bit, that dumb theory that game of thrones is just constant misery is so over-hyped. As is that dumb ramsey quote.

• edited November 2015

Another interesting trope that may very much apply to Telltale's GoT is this:

Darkness Induced Audience Apathy.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DarknessInducedAudienceApathy

It explains how some people begin to stop caring and lose interest in the story entirely. Especially when we are told "Our Choices Matter" when they indeed don't.

Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy occurs when a conflict exists that simply lacks any reason for the audience to care about how it is resolved.

and another excerpt

Leaving aside how obviously and overly depressing this is to read, if the characters are doomed to failure no matter what they do, and it is too obvious that they are doomed and their every action to avert this is pointless and hopeless, then the ending is inevitable and can be seen a mile off—so why bother continuing on with the story?

Although this extends to GoT TV show, not just TellTale games.

All you can do is sit agape as the writers apparently attempt to outdo themselves at making the setting even worse and more unpleasant and more nihilistic to the point where the media is a bland miserable monotone. This trope is not just about a Crapsack World, but about Evil Versus Evil and too much cynicism producing this effect. A sure sign of audience apathy setting in is if they start rooting for the Omnicidal Maniac—the setting is so bleak that no part of it is worth saving. When total oblivion looks like your best option, something is wrong.

This happened to me in Game of Thrones the television Show. After a few seasons, it began to set in. When the results of the Tyrion's Trial-By-Combat were revealed, this was fully set in. Although honestly earlier in the season with the loss of unnamed spoiler-free factions, I literally could be quoted saying, "I hope the White Walkers win."

• edited November 2015

Game of Thrones seems to be Darkness Induced Audience Apathy.

I wanted closure in Season 1. I didn't even want a Season 2. If anything, we could have had both. Some choices leading to a conclusion (victory for house forester, and a consluding story that ends the season) and an alternative choice that is the only path (and assumed choices) for Season 2. That would suffice, as it would both give us choices, the ability to win, AND continue to the next chapter by TellTale declaring the "losing path" as canon.

It is my understanding now though after TWDS2, GoT, and Minecraft, that TellTale never was a very good game developer / story teller. They just had a fluke of luck with TWD Season 1, which happened to be my first game. From what I read from others here, their games before and after are just as they have always been: "Okay" games. Nothing compared to TWD Season 1, because they aren't TWD Season 1. Lucky is lucky. Coincidentally amazing, or accidental greatness.

Unfortunately after Episode 6 being an advertisement episode and their overall desire to cash in for greed and reduce quality storytelling in exchange for monetary gains, I am an ex TellTale fan and someone who went from "They make some of my favorite games ever. Love them." to "They are pretty bad developers. Will never buy again. Too greedy too."

What a shame :(

They are on the losing side a bit much, but thats really just ironrath. Asher overall does pretty well, as does gared. Anyway I hope they

• but thats really just ironrath

I just realized... "No it's not."

Kings Landing was an entirely pointless story arc that had absolutely no impact on the story (Ironrath) with the death of the only character there. Destined to lose, destined to be entirely pointless.

Beyond the wall is a completely separate storyline, but is entirely irrelevant of Ironrath as well seeing as how they are too far away to matter. It might as well be a completely different game entirely. So I guess you're right there, as just like Kings Landing it has absolutely nothing to do with Ironrath.

They are on the losing side a bit much, but thats really just ironrath. Asher overall does pretty well, as does gared. Anyway I hope they

• Game of thrones is just like this, its always about what happens next, as is the walking dead. I never expected everything to be wrapped up this season. I didnt want it to be. For me what would have been annoying is there leaving asher/rodrik unknown and gared as just arriving at the grove. They resolved the major plot points and gave you several ways to do it.

Also I still to this day dont get why everyone like the walking dead season 1 so much more than anything else. I like it a lot but not that much more than the others, I feel its just expectations, if the first season came out now plenty of people would bitch about it.

RonnyRulz posted: »

Game of Thrones seems to be Darkness Induced Audience Apathy. I wanted closure in Season 1. I didn't even want a Season 2. If anything, w

• edited November 2015

their overall desire to cash in for greed and reduce quality storytelling in exchange for monetary gains

Oh yeah, because that's totally what happened with Tales From The Borderlands...not. I get you're upset and it's fine to be upset but if you're serious about becoming an ex Telltale fan than I wouldn't bother coming back to these forums badmouthing Telltale to a rather rude and disrespectful degree as it will just make you look like a asshole.

A good number enjoyed the GoT finale but you might call them idiots and that's fine by your standards considering that you already insulted people who didn't mind the traitor twist in Episode 5.

Game of Thrones seems to be Darkness Induced Audience Apathy. I wanted closure in Season 1. I didn't even want a Season 2. If anything, w

• It hasn't all gone well for Gared he did lose two of his metaphorical brothers in pretty gruesome ways.

• When the results of the Tyrion's Trial-By-Combat were revealed, this was fully set in

And then Tyrion escaped, ever thought of that?

Another interesting trope that may very much apply to Telltale's GoT is this: Darkness Induced Audience Apathy. http://tvtropes.org/pm

• Plus with Oberyn that was all his fault (which is why I hate the subsequent dorne plot so much). He volunteered, he got cocky. It wasn't just some random loss.

When the results of the Tyrion's Trial-By-Combat were revealed, this was fully set in And then Tyrion escaped, ever thought of that?

• edited November 2015

Well, seeing how the entire Forrester plot is just a more or less thinly veiled re-hash of the Stark plot from the books (who are also Butt-Monkeys), it makes sense.

Their ancestral home burning,everyone being scattered across the north and Sansa..errrr.. Mira being forced to marry a man she hates....shouldnt have come as a surprise to us.

The only saving grace is that we got Asher instead of Arya

• Oh it's THAT guy again! And what's this? Another "bad writing" thread! Haven't seen one of those before...

• It is my understanding now though after TWDS2, GoT, and Minecraft, that TellTale never was a very good game developer / story teller. They just had a fluke of luck with TWD Season 1, which happened to be my first game.

So Wolf and Borderlands don't matter?

• You're not even solving anything. I think GOT was a good game, I can't wait for S2.

• edited November 2015

k

glad to see you're back.

This is my favorite TTG. There, I said it.

• The game gave me Gared Tuttle, so it's not that bad.

I agree the writing could use some work, though.

• I'm not gonna lie and say that thIs game was perfect cuz it was FAR from perfect but I just think it's funny because do you think that sitting here and typing angrily about this game will change anything? No because in the end telltale is a business, they want money, so vote with your wallet. If you truly want to show that you don't like them anymore don't buy the games. Because yelling about the bad writing on their forums isn't going to do anything.

• They didn't work in favor of his argument, so he had to slip them under the rug and hope no one would notice

It is my understanding now though after TWDS2, GoT, and Minecraft, that TellTale never was a very good game developer / story teller. They j

• Okay , so you're an ex fan of Telltale. So then leave the forums. If you hate the game then stop talking about it. When I hate something I don't bitch about it on the internet, I just don't spend any time on it.

• Not only that but he insults anyone who disagree's with him and implies that their stupid kids.

Oh it's THAT guy again! And what's this? Another "bad writing" thread! Haven't seen one of those before...

• Except the Forresters are not like the Starks. They're two completely different Houses and their members have completely different personalities.

Skurkanas posted: »

Well, seeing how the entire Forrester plot is just a more or less thinly veiled re-hash of the Stark plot from the books (who are also Butt-

• edited November 2015

I was gonna post my own separate comment to this very rude and disrespectful user, but you basically said all I wanted to cover.

soysauce posted: »

Okay , so you're an ex fan of Telltale. So then leave the forums. If you hate the game then stop talking about it. When I hate something I don't bitch about it on the internet, I just don't spend any time on it.

• I mean... this guy has an account solely devoted to overly criticizing Telltale's Game Of Thrones, there's literally nothing else there. (apart from all the insults) I actually debated him once (imagine what fun that must have been) and after a few botched attempts, he just starts to rant on how I'm nothing but a kid and that he doesn't waste time talking to stupid kids. It was really funny and ironic though, maybe we can do it again sometime!

AgentZ46 posted: »

Not only that but he insults anyone who disagree's with him and implies that their stupid kids.

• Oh look here, another " bad writing lolz" thread. Have a cookie you ole sport.

• edited November 2015

GoT didn't have bad writing, also you should consider what you are saying is pretty much a stereotype for stories. The bad writing of GoT was Ep5, and little things in the other eps, but NOT as a whole. Now of course, if you were saying this about TWDGS2 I would completely agree :D

• Now of course, if you were saying this about TWDGS2 I would completely agree

I wouldn't. There are moments of poor writing, but not as a whole or as many as some people say imo.

AGentlman posted: »

GoT didn't have bad writing, also you should consider what you are saying is pretty much a stereotype for stories. The bad writing of GoT wa

• Care to elaborate on how the Forresters are nothing like the Starks?

Except the Forresters are not like the Starks. They're two completely different Houses and their members have completely different personalities.

• I believe he means personality wise. From what I've seen, people tend to compare them by their position in the House, and not by their actual personalitys.

• Gregor/Eddard- Both the head of the House.
    • Elissa/Catelyn- Both the Lady of the House.
    • Rodrik/Robb- Both the eldest son and heir.
    • Mira/Sansa- Both the eldest daughter.
    • Ethan/Bran- Both young and forced to be Lord.
    • Talia/Arya- Both the youngest daughter.

The comparisons people make between these Houses are so forced, and straight up annoying by now. The most forced one is Talia and Arya. That's complete BS, they don't have a thing in common (except for being female, I suppose)

Harian96 posted: »

Care to elaborate on how the Forresters are nothing like the Starks?

• Yup, you explained it very well.

The comparisons people make between these Houses are so forced, and straight up annoying by now.

This. I've seen people try way too hard to find similarities between the members of each House.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I believe he means personality wise. From what I've seen, people tend to compare them by their position in the House, and not by their actua

• and here we have 2 varying opinions, and I respect that.

Now of course, if you were saying this about TWDGS2 I would completely agree I wouldn't. There are moments of poor writing, but not as a whole or as many as some people say imo.

• Same here

AGentlman posted: »

and here we have 2 varying opinions, and I respect that.

• The problem I had with the game was it was written like a tv episode. I don't mind the the Forresters were put into a tough an almost impossible situation but I expected to be able to work out of it through making certain decisions.

The fact we were given 5-6 choices and took it from behind forcefully and were forced to watch the Whitehills take turns until they were finished was a frustrating experience to say the least. The Ethan choice at the end 1 explementified this pefectly you can die a hero coward or wiseman but you will die.

• Cool, another "GoT suck" thread.

It's not like there's always one at the front page....

• People get so mad when they can't win. There's no happy ending this time. It happens.

• edited December 2015

What you said. The other option is you simply voice your thoughts once or twice, then drop it and do something more productive with your time. But so many people have to be totally sensible and waste weeks/months complaining/trolling/insulting others over a product they claim to dislike.

soysauce posted: »

Okay , so you're an ex fan of Telltale. So then leave the forums. If you hate the game then stop talking about it. When I hate something I don't bitch about it on the internet, I just don't spend any time on it.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.