The Game Awards 2015 / Best Narrative

Tales From The Borderlands was an incredible ride and I'm hoping it's enough to grab the award for Best Narrative, because it deserves it. Other titles include Life is Strange, The Witcher 3, and Until Dawn. Personally, Tales is the best narrative experience and deserves the award ! The Witcher 3 deserves it too, but The Witcher was not solely a narritive experience / UPDATE Tales from the Borderlands lost to Her Story...
The Game Awards 2015

enter image description here

Comments

• I would consider Until Dawn to be the Game of the Year 2015.

• jmmjmm
    edited December 2015

I think getting Tales nominated is a good thing. If it wins, well kudos, but I won't hold it against the committee if it doesn't. As long as LiS doesn't win

I don't consider LiS' narrative good enough to objectively deserve a win.

It is just my opinion, I won't comment again my reasons (I have posted them elsewhere) and I don't want to encourage more bashing/trolling/flaming.

• Let's hope the judges give each game a fair evaluation. Biased views seem to be what keep Tales from getting a worthy claim to fame.

• Her Story won.

• Lost to Her Story. Goddammit.

• Well, I wish Tales won, but Her Story wasnt bad.

• Her Story makes sense as it really is just a pure story game. You literally look through videos to discover the story and figure out everything. The acting was pretty good and that game was as pure narrative as you can get imo.

• What the hell is "Her Story" and why did Troy Baker announce it, something's suspicioso here

• Her Story: A Telltale Games Series coming soon!

bigdogg0821 posted: »

What the hell is "Her Story" and why did Troy Baker announce it, something's suspicioso here

• edited December 2015

I still think LIS was the better narrative. Though, I guess the way Her Story was presented appealed more to some.

I'm not gonna lie and say I'm a little salty LIS lost but I'm happy that neither won in the end. There is this weird battle between the two so having them both not win this award is great imo. Though, I think there is still like the BAFTA awards and probably a few others coming up. So I can see Tales going up against LIS and these other games again.

You also have this thing where Greg Miller talked about on his channel that if one game wins award they may not win another. Is something like that fair to do if there is a better game? Who knows but if the rest of the awards go the way it is then what they said holds merit and makes the winner selections seem pretty iffy.

• Ehhhhh...

AronDracula posted: »

I would consider Until Dawn to be the Game of the Year 2015.

• I still think LIS was the better narrative.

lol

I still think LIS was the better narrative. Though, I guess the way Her Story was presented appealed more to some. I'm not gonna lie and

• Seriously, this is the game where choices really do matter

Ehhhhh...

• edited December 2015

funny.

I still think LIS was the better narrative. lol

• Thing is, that doesn't necessarily make it game of the year.

Seriously, this is the game where choices really do matter

• I haven't played or watched let's play of all the nominees, but I still can't see LIS as a worthy game to be nominated to the "best narrative" category (And while I loved Tales and I may be a bit biased towards Tales, I still can find a lot of faults within its narrative)

Can you explain, as objective as possible, why you consider LIS' narrative good enough to be award material .

I still think LIS was the better narrative. Though, I guess the way Her Story was presented appealed more to some. I'm not gonna lie and

• I'm just a fan and not some pro reviewer(still opinions doe).

I just think that LIS tells a better story than Tales. While Tales is funny, has great dialogue, and pretty much everything going for it. I can't help but feel that LIS did more or at least tried to do more. For me LIS story was actually just more complete and while I enjoyed Tales. It was more of a fun adventure that made me laugh.

Now, hey you may consider Tales more fun nature to be more appealing to LIS more serious tone. It is all about what appeals to you more and it seems more people find LIS appealing over Tales. I played both games and while I laughed and enjoyed Tales. I can tell you a lot more about the characters and pretty much everything concerning LIS. Even those that absolutely LIS can recall LIS better than Tales and other "narrative" games. I can't tell you how many people have said LIS sucks and points out everything. Yet, they can't be specific to Tales when asked the same.

LIS is just more memorable whether you like it or not. Sorry if this post is all jumbled up or doesn't explain a damn thing.

jmm posted: »

I haven't played or watched let's play of all the nominees, but I still can't see LIS as a worthy game to be nominated to the "best narrativ

• Not just that, characters, story, voice acting, graphics etc.

Thing is, that doesn't necessarily make it game of the year.

• jmmjmm
    edited December 2015

Sorry if this post is all jumbled up or doesn't explain a damn thing.

Don't fret about that, I was curious on your perspective and your "jumbled up post" convey your view clearly enough.

I'm just a fan and not some pro reviewer

I'm not a "pro" reviewer, but a fan of the adventure game genre.

I just grew tired of the senseless ranting and bashing going on here and on other places

What really grind my gears are those popularity contests masquerading as "awards" that are nothing more than biased click-fests just from fans that do not even bother to try to explain their position (or even check the other nominees)

Now, hey you may consider Tales more fun nature to be more appealing to LIS more serious tone

It is nothing like that, I actually enjoyed quite a bit LIS, but I feel that the folks at DONTNOD messed up a great idea and concept around episode 2.

It is nothing about the tone (though I found Tales refreshing from all the serious/gritty/almost depressing tone from the other Telltale games) but inconsistencies in plot threads and devices, with some plots just abandoned with no sensible explanation other than a crude exposition or dialog (for instance, through all the first 4 episodes Nathan is made an important part of the story, just to be dumped off screen) bother me to no end.

And for that and many other reasons (I don't want to write an essay on the matter, at least here) I find their narrative flawed.

It sure did convey feeling and a sort of coherent main story (something awfully difficult with time travel) but I found that the pacing and progression were appalling (example: from day one we knew about the tornado, but Max did nothing about that -bar some random comments- until the last episode) and plot threads strayed quite a bit from the original design (and saying that "life is strange" in the title does not count as explanation)

The latter is probably a case of too many threads, not enough time (and resources) issue; that is a sign of poor planning (from a project management stand point, I have been there and done that) or too much freedom (they don't have any IP constraint since it is an original story and universe) and not enough control or experience in the genre (This one was DONTNOD's first experience in the adventure game genre)

Tales is no masterpiece either, the rewrite taste is clearly felt in the whole series, and several changes made "for the sake of the story" made some early plot threads and devices, just a messy collection of events that had no impact in the overall story. But the writers were intelligent enough to divert our attention to other areas and somehow retconned most of the important events so "it made sense" (example: Fiona's reasoning for being mad at Rhys)
    But the Borderlands universe just works with or around inconsistencies, so those "things" are expected.

In the end, Tales' story worked better than LIS' story to me, but it is just my opinion and it is not an objective thing.

I do wish both Telltale and DONTNOD learn from their failures and mistakes and improve their game (and game engine, please Telltale)

I'm just a fan and not some pro reviewer(still opinions doe). I just think that LIS tells a better story than Tales. While Tales is funny

• Yeah, but the only original thing about it is that they put all these stereotypes into one who game + the butterfly effect. I know the choices matter, but I wouldn't exactly call it GOTY.

Seriously, this is the game where choices really do matter

• You have your points mixed in and it makes your post kinda confusing

Would be cool if you edited so I can understand more clearly.

Thanks

jmm posted: »

Sorry if this post is all jumbled up or doesn't explain a damn thing. Don't fret about that, I was curious on your perspective and y

• jmmjmm
    edited December 2015

Sorry about that, I'll try to edit later. I really don't like this forum editing tools.

Edit: I give up, this forum ... can really mess up formatting and spacing.

You have your points mixed in and it makes your post kinda confusing Would be cool if you edited so I can understand more clearly. Thanks

• The Witcher 3 has all that plus a better gameplay.

Not just that, characters, story, voice acting, graphics etc.

• I never played a Witcher game.

The Witcher 3 has all that plus a better gameplay.

• you should.

I never played a Witcher game.

• Not hating LiS or your opinion but one of my problems with it was Max's VA. Some / most of her lines were so bland and I didn't feel any emotion in them. At one point in EP5 I literally facepalmed when she said "You're going to / gonna die, motherfucker." There was literally no emotion in that line at all. It just annoyed me badly. However Chloe's VA was actually great. I did like the game but I just prefer TFTB. :)

• How about her "Eat shit and die" line to Jefferson, that was also pretty bad. I have to agree, Ashly Burch (Chloe's voice actress) did a phenomenal job.

CarL_J posted: »

Not hating LiS or your opinion but one of my problems with it was Max's VA. Some / most of her lines were so bland and I didn't feel any emo

• The eat shit and die line might as well have been "ye, imma MESS u up!"

CarL_J posted: »

Not hating LiS or your opinion but one of my problems with it was Max's VA. Some / most of her lines were so bland and I didn't feel any emo

• Max has her moments, but seriously, in almost half of all her dialogue, she sounds so disinterested. I get that she's an introverted, reserved person, but I'm an introvert, and I don't think I've ever sounded that tuned out before, even on bad days. What makes this especially awkward is the fact that so many of her lines are internal monologues. Why would you sound bored in your own head? Like seriously, it's the one place you aren't afraid to be yourself, because no one else can see or hear the inside of your head, nor can they hear your personal thoughts.

How about her "Eat shit and die" line to Jefferson, that was also pretty bad. I have to agree, Ashly Burch (Chloe's voice actress) did a phenomenal job.

• Tales from the Borderlands should be the best narrative.Don't you agree.

• Honestly never heard of Her Story.

• Yeah, that line too. I just don't feel any emotion in her voice in most of her dialogue, which annoys me badly, on the other hand Ashley Burch did a great job especially with that scene before the ending choice in EP5.

How about her "Eat shit and die" line to Jefferson, that was also pretty bad. I have to agree, Ashly Burch (Chloe's voice actress) did a phenomenal job.

• You're not alone, bro.

javoris767 posted: »

Honestly never heard of Her Story.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.