I'm new to Borderlands (Tales) and which Borderlands should I move to next?

Hello Telltale form users, I just wanted to know now that I'm on episode 3 of Tales from the Borderlands (And I'm ADDICTED ) that when I get done with this title what Borderlands should I move on to next? The Prequel? I'm confused because Tales is supposed to be after Borderlands 2 (I've heard) So, I just wanted to ask you people because I know forum users are the best people to ask. And I know absolutely nothing about Borderlands so please NO spoilers.

I am a serious Mass Effect fan and Tales from the Borderlands is (somewhat) like ME minus the humor in Tales I hope the rest of Borderlands will be this good because I love Tales from the Borderlands... and Fiona is the my new favorite character (besides Femshep lol)

Comments

• edited December 2015

definitely in the order they came out (1, 2, then the pre sequel). There are references to previous games in all of the later ones, and its wayyy better if you get whats going on. If you use steam, you can wait until the winter sale and they will all be really cheap and you can probably buy all 3 + all dlc for less than $40.

as far as dlc, (which they basically come free with the first 2 games at this point), you really want to play those too. wait until after the main story to play them though because they have spoilers in a lot of them.

BL1 DLC order:
    Dr. Ned Zombies (not too important story-wise, but really fun),
    General Knoxx,
    Claptrap revolution,
    Moxxi DLC (skippable if you don't get into it, not much story here, just grinding),

BL2 DLC order doesn't matter, but they're all really good. especially tiny tina's dragonkeep.
    i'm not sure if the 'headhunter' packs are included in the season pass, but they're basically just raid bosses, worth the money if you're loving the game at this point though.

The Pre-Sequel
    haven't played dlc, but i hear the claptrap voyage is the only good one.

• edited December 2015

Just as a heads up the other borderlands games have 0 choices and a lot of shooting and RNG.

But if you like ME you should be okay with borderlands, if you don't mind praying for the RNG gods.

• Before XboxOne was backwards compatible, I wanted to play through Borderlands. I watched a play through of BL1 on YouTube and then I bought the Handsome Collection. I didn't get to play BL1, but I've enjoyed my playing of Borderlands 2 so far. I can't speak to the Pre-Sequel, though. Playing Tales actually reignited my interest in Borderlands.

• Wait till they go on sale and get the GOTY of both the first and second, which will probably be soon on Steam's winter sale. Be aware the first one is more obvious a grind and lot more empty than the second. The main story of the first also lacks story strength but makes up for it with really fun DLC's. The first is still a solid game and it's great if you love loot hoarding. The second is just upgraded the short comings of the first. Better story, more colorful, not as slow. Most of the DLC's are really fun. TPS at this time isn't that bad, I hated it so much when it first came out because it was essentially, full price BL2 with low gravity. So I personally do not think it's worth it's price but it's still a fun game. I wish they actually tried to take a risk in adding something new to the franchise but they didn't. Also I get mad at people who interpret the narrative of TPS (it's from Jack's pov) literally and don't think about what has already been established. I guess what I'm saying there is, TPS messes with some of the pre-established lore, if you care about that.

• Tales has some tie ins with the Pre Sequel but Borderlands 2 is heavily focused on Jack.

Really play both, I haven't yet played Borderlands 1, but as far as my knowledge the only references from Borderlands 1 to Tales is Atlas, I also hear that Borderlands 1 is kinda dated.

• edited December 2015

The order in which the main games were released: BL1, BL2, TPS.

The order I recommend: BL2, TPS, BL1

Borderlands 1 is pretty dated feeling and the story/characters aren't nearly as good as in the sequels. I've seen many people start with BL1 before and they just wind up getting turned off by the franchise, which is a shame because the sequels are fantastic. You can jump right into BL2 and understand everything perfectly fine. It does a great job getting you caught up on the world and characters.

Going back to BL1 after the sequels will give you some nice additional background and lore for the universe. It's still a fun game, I just don't recommend starting there.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.