Any Gaiges, Gladstones, or Nakayamas here?

I don't know if there has been a coincidental increase in mainstream coverage, but I feel like I've been seeing a lot more brain computer interface (BCI) stories since finishing TFTBL.

Scientific American recently wrote about the interface/prosthetic legs used by Juliano Pinto at the 2014 World Cup, and why subdermal implants are better than BCI caps for more than just fashion reasons. Tech Insider has a video of a man operating a robot using a BCI cap.

There's also research into recording/playback, though that is more like a body cam and less like a Handsome Jack AI. It'd be be neat to think it's just a matter of connection speeds and storage capacity keeping an ECHOeye from being a thing.

How about you guys? Seen any IRL tech that made you think Helios?
enter image description here

Comments

• I almost wish I had an echo eye. My vision is failing and getting blurrier and worse by the day. My lenses are an inch thick and I'm only 14. :/ An echo eye or two would be fricken great.

• I'm sorry to hear that :(

Yeah, it'd be nice to think by the time you're in college it'd just be a less ugly version of google glass.

I almost wish I had an echo eye. My vision is failing and getting blurrier and worse by the day. My lenses are an inch thick and I'm only 14. An echo eye or two would be fricken great.

• jmmjmm
    edited December 2015

Totally "legit" but related news

Source: http://kotaku.com/british-newspaper-mistakes-deus-ex-for-real-life-1446426182

News source

• Lol, not that the Sun is reputable, but are they usually that bad?

There is legit research into decoding signals sent from the eye and turning it into a video feed, but it's not at the human subject stage yet. The details were a little depressing so I didn't link it. There's also a dude that chipped his brain to see what would happen. Also didn't link because it showed pictures of the surgery...but that's an old school mad scientist right there. Ethics board wouldn't let him test on other people, so he used himself.

jmm posted: »

Totally "legit" but related news News source

• I recently posted this in the Rhysha thread! and Gaige is awesome!

enter link description here

• That's awesome!

I recently posted this in the Rhysha thread! and Gaige is awesome! enter link description here

• I got the feeling that it's the other way around ; that since some bald guy in a classy lab coat thought to himself "Hey, what if we actually made a robot-man-hybrid-thing ?!", science-fiction writers - who happen to be quite savvy when it comes to scientific research - started using cybernetics more and more, since they're getting closer and closer to being widespread as time goes by.

• isnt this from deus ex

jmm posted: »

Totally "legit" but related news News source

• Yeah, that's the joke. The Rupert Murdoch media empire isn't famous for its fact checking, but that is pretty sad.

isnt this from deus ex

• edited December 2015

It's a feedback loop. There's a good chance we have cell phones because star trek had tricorders. A lot of times a technology exists before scientists figure out how people want to use it.

I'm guessing most people will not get an arm replaced to look cool, but it might one day be possible to get chipped and then have something like a smart watch or pair of glasses/contacts interface with it.

Darklim posted: »

I got the feeling that it's the other way around ; that since some bald guy in a classy lab coat thought to himself "Hey, what if we actuall

• I'd take a robotic arm and a cybernetic eye any day.

• I personally want a bot that will shovel snow for me. iRobot needs to get on that one.

I'd take a robotic arm and a cybernetic eye any day.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.