Favorite book?

2»

Comments

• BigBlindMaxBigBlindMax Banned
    edited January 2016

Not sure if it's on my list of favorites, but I just finished George Orwell's 'Homage to Catalonia' and it was really interesting.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TBAtYdVEL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If your into military history or political intrigue, it's definitely worth a read.

• edited January 2016

• edited January 2016

I don't read as much as I used to, but I loved Lord of the Flies.

enter image description here

• Invisible Monsters. Oh man, that one was a ride.

Fight Club/Invisible Monsters/Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk. ASOIAF series - George R.R Martin. I don't read that much. :P

• Palahniuk is probably my favourite author. Even when I don't enjoy the book, I still enjoy the writing.

Fight Club/Invisible Monsters/Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk. ASOIAF series - George R.R Martin. I don't read that much. :P

• Yes! Good Omens was awesome!

damkylan posted: »

1984, Brave New World, The Sound and the Fury, East of Eden, The Lord of the Flies. And just for a change of pace (unless you find the pr

• I'm an avid reader, so I couldn't possibly narrow it down to just one(appy-poly-loggies my droogs).

• I am Not a Serial Killer - Dan Wells - A fantastic story about a sociopathic teenager who abides by a set of rules in order to prevent himself from slipping, and his struggles to not break the rules, while trying to catch an actual killer who has come to his town.
    • Vicious - V.E. Scwab - A story about a villain/anti-hero? who breaks out of jail to exact vengeance on the man who betrayed him.
    • Fightclub (tied with Doomed) - Chuck Palahniuk - In FC the (unnamed) protagonist, who is suffering from depression, befriends a man named Tyler Durden. Tyler seemingly shows him the path to enlightenment, but not all is as it seems. Hilarity and chaos follow. Doomed is about a 13 year old girl who gets sent to hell.
    • Good Omens - Neil Gaiman - Damkylan summed it up pretty well.
    • The Long Walk - Stephen King (written under pseudonym "Richard Bachman") - A group of 100 boys who have to compete in an event known as "The Long Walk" in the event they have to keep walking until only one of them is alive. If they fail to keep pace, stumble, or rest, they get a warning. 3 warnings means death. The character interaction in this book is superb, but don't go into it expecting a Hunger Games/Battle Royale feel.
    • John Dies at the End - David Wong - A hilarious romp, were two idiots are given fantastic abilities derived from a strange (and seemingly sentient) drug, and have to save the world from various supernatural threats. Unfortunately spawned a terrible movie and an even worse sequel, but the 1st book is still great.
    • A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess - A real Horrorshow book about a molodoy prestoopnick who, after a skorry (and lethal) bitva with a baboochka, gets arrested by a rozz. Then some shoot gets the chepooka messel to filly Bog with the moodge's gulliver in an attempt to cheest the razrez and bezoomny from him, in order to prod a true chelloveck.
  • So much yes for Going Postal! One of the first Discworld books I ever read, it got me at the opening lines.

They say that the prospect of being hanged in the morning concentrates a man's mind wonderfully; unfortunately, what the mind inevitably concentrates on is that it is in a body that, in the morning, is going to be hanged.

Linnet posted: »

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett manages to be a fantasy novel about bank corruption and net neutrality while also being a fun caper with en

• edited January 2016

Palahniuk is incredible. Glad to meet a fellow reader. He's right up there with Lovecraft and London for favorite authors for me.

AdamGoodtme posted: »

Palahniuk is probably my favourite author. Even when I don't enjoy the book, I still enjoy the writing.

• Oh god it's been so long since I read A Clockwork Orange. I already forgot all of the slang!

I'm an avid reader, so I couldn't possibly narrow it down to just one(appy-poly-loggies my droogs). * I am Not a Serial Killer - Dan We

• edited January 2016

Well, I would never be able to settle on one!:

• The World to Come - Dara Horn. An interesting book that takes place from WWII to the present day, while revolving around the history of a single painting by Marc Chagall. It was certainly an interesting read.
    • The Green Mile - Stephen King. Boy oh boy was this a sad story.I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read it or seen the movie. My only wish is that you go read it now!
    • The Lilies of the Field - William E. Barrett. A very short and simple story about a Baptist who is hired by a group of nuns to build a church. It's timeless in my heart, and I hope it is to someone else.
    • The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty. Amazing story. I've never seen the film, but I don't think it could be close to as good as the novel. All I can say is this: Damien Karras, you are my hero.
    • The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas. Romance, danger, despair. You'll probably read, or have already read, it in high school. It's a really fun story, and similar to the game Dishonored in certain ways!
    • Penpal - Dathan Aurebach. It was originally a creepypasta online, and it still is, but the author published it as a book as well! I recommend the book over the internet (Easier on the eyes). But either way, there's horrifying plot twists around every corner, and it was the only book that I've stayed up until 3 am reading. Until...
    • The Dark Tower Series - Stephen King. I spent almost 6 months reading this series, and it was a real roller coaster. Some people may not like where he goes with the series by the end, but I've always been fine with it, and it's very captivating, especially the fourth book! And for you Stephen King fans out there, I'm sure you've read that King announced that all his books take place in the same universe, so with that said, The Dark Tower is at the center of it all, making Roland Deschain, the Gunslinger of Gilead, the ultimate hero.
  • I loved Dreamcatcher by Stephen King when I read it as 13 year old. Otherwise I´m not so good with reading books, I find it quite boring.

• Do you read Terry Pratchett at all? Good Omens was actually a Gaiman/Pratchett collaboration, and Gaiman has said it was mostly Pratchett's writing. He has written several Discworld books about witches that are in a similar vein.

I'm an avid reader, so I couldn't possibly narrow it down to just one(appy-poly-loggies my droogs). * I am Not a Serial Killer - Dan We

• Whoops, my bad. Totally forgot it was both of them. I've read "The Colour of Magic" (loved it), and I'm about to read "Nation".

Linnet posted: »

Do you read Terry Pratchett at all? Good Omens was actually a Gaiman/Pratchett collaboration, and Gaiman has said it was mostly Pratchett's writing. He has written several Discworld books about witches that are in a similar vein.

• enter image description here

It just feels wrong for me to say anything else. I don't know that I would even necessarily say that its my favorite in terms of the writing and storytelling anymore, but it means something to me, and I think it may have influenced me a bit as a child.

• Nation was great. The alternating sections from the two protagonists to show what was the world and what was their perspective is very TFTBL.

The Color of Magic was fun but it was also before Pratchett had decided he was world building instead of lampooning fantasy cliches. Once he gets into worldbuilding and turning the satire at our world instead, some really wonderful stuff happens.

Whoops, my bad. Totally forgot it was both of them. I've read "The Colour of Magic" (loved it), and I'm about to read "Nation".

• edited January 2016

This book is my favourite book ever, it's what got me back into reading, it's inspired me to begin writing my own stories, it's such a sad book that made me cry multiple times, I mean I start to tear up just thinking about the things that happen in this book ;-; <3 Plus Bluestar is my favourite character in the entire Warriors series!!!

• Harold and the purple crayon.....don't judge

• Various Star Wars books.
    The Maze Runner
    The Hunger games series...

Then something more edgy.

Look Who's Back (Seems that they're making a movie version too.)

Then something I haven't even nearly finished reading.

Mein Kampf

• edited February 2016

I'm not much of a reader. The only books I usually like to read are books on history, but I really enjoyed ...well, Call me Ishmael.

• edited February 2016

A song of Ice and fire.

• My friends and I had to do a short film based on the book. I was the beast/monster of the island. :D

ralo229 posted: »

I don't read as much as I used to, but I loved Lord of the Flies.

• Mein Kampf was a poorly written mess, in my opinion. It's basically just ranting, self-pity and conspiracy theories. You'd be much better off with a good biography about Hitler.

Orrrrr you could read 'The Conquest of Bread' instead.

Clord posted: »

Various Star Wars books. The Maze Runner The Hunger games series... Then something more edgy. Look Who's Back (Seems that they're making a movie version too.) Then something I haven't even nearly finished reading. Mein Kampf

• Battle Royale.

• edited February 2016
    • The Book Thief (Markus Zusak)

• Doctor Zhivago (Boris Pasternak)

• Ranger's Apprentice (John Flanagan)

• Arthur Rimbaud (poetry)

• Into The Wild (Jon Krakauer)

• Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)

Almost everything by: Nick Hornby, Bill Bryson, Stefan Zweig, Ota Pavel and sometimes books by D. R. Koontz and S. King.

• I literally just finished Into The Wild. Like, today.

Violet_Ant posted: »

* The Book Thief (Markus Zusak) * Doctor Zhivago (Boris Pasternak) * Ranger's Apprentice (John Flanagan) * Arthur Rimbaud (poetry)

• Awesome, did you like it? :)

I literally just finished Into The Wild. Like, today.

• Mixed feelings. It was insanely strong and interesting at the start, but once the author began to ramble about his time spent in Alaska, it began to drone me to sleep.

Violet_Ant posted: »

Awesome, did you like it?

• I love Hemingway very much. My favorite works are Across the River and Into the Trees and Hills Like White Elephants. Recommend to everyone to read them!

• Despite the workload at work, reading artistic literature, you rest your soul. I like the books by K. McCullough "The Thorn Birds", "The Song of Three"

• Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. I was 11 years old when the first Harry Potter book came out: the same age as Harry. It was everything, not only to be swept up in the craze but to share this kindred bond with the Boy Who Lived. I remember devouring the books and then forcing my parents to take me to Barnes & Noble on the exact day of each new release. I would also re-read the previous books in the years between installments. When I was 13 and doing a figure skating camp in Boston, the 4th book had just been released and it was sold out everywhere. I used the yellow pages to call bookstores, and finally found a copy at the Logan Airport. I then begged my coach to take me and she finally agreed, circling airport drop-off a few times while I bolted inside to pick it up. I read that book (debatably the best, after Book 7) with the greatest sense of delight and victory that one could possibly know at age 13. Growing up with Harry Potter was a treasure

Sign in to comment in this discussion.