Fiona made the top 9 VG Heroines of 2015

Video Game Heroines of 2015

Bizarrely, they simulateously are absolutely certain Rhys/Fiona is the cannon ship and are not totally into it:

enter image description here

Tales From the Borderlands

Telltale’s adventure-focused spin on the Borderlands franchise also didn’t get as much love as it deserved this year, which is a real shame, considering how many amazing heroines had a chance to shine in it. The game predominantly follows the adventures of Rhys and Fiona, the latter of whom is a con artist and a stubborn thief. She’s an anti-heroine who fits right into the world of Borderlands—a world that’s already stacked with weird stories and unexpected heroes. I didn’t really care about the love story that unfolds between our heroes Rhys and Fiona; I mostly cared about Fiona. She’s great.

Comments

• I didn’t really care about the love story that unfolds between our heroes Rhys and Fiona

I'm confused, last time I checked the only thing close to a "love story" we got was Rhysha. I mean yeah, Rhyiona is optionally canon but they never did get that many moments together and even when they did they wasn't really romantic.

• I suspect that it might be a typo, because they then stated they cared more about Fiona. If that sentence had Sasha instead of Fiona it would make more sense, at least to me.

I don't know, I agree with everything you said though.

lottii-lu posted: »

I didn’t really care about the love story that unfolds between our heroes Rhys and Fiona I'm confused, last time I checked the only

• Well they did put heroes instead of hero, unless of course they made a double typo. But I'm starting to think they never actually played the game and just thought it was that cliche thing in movies/video games where the two main characters end up hooking up.

Also off topic, but someone is crying in our thread that Zerhys never became canon could you please remove their comment?

I suspect that it might be a typo, because they then stated they cared more about Fiona. If that sentence had Sasha instead of Fiona it would make more sense, at least to me. I don't know, I agree with everything you said though.

• I didn’t really care about the love story that unfolds between our heroes Rhys and Fiona

Yeah it was an option at the end of the game, but there was never any real love story between those two characters, so I'm confused.

• Yeah, I'm guessing if it's not a straight up typo, it means she didn't play through ep3 and interpreted the banter in the scenes with the Stranger as indicating the default ship. (She hasn't changed the names despite several people in the comments saying that is not the default ship.)

I suspect that it might be a typo, because they then stated they cared more about Fiona. If that sentence had Sasha instead of Fiona it would make more sense, at least to me. I don't know, I agree with everything you said though.

• I didn’t really care about the love story that unfolds between our heroes Rhys and Fiona; I mostly cared about Fiona.

This statement is confusing and unexpected.

• Have to saw that TheMarySue is kinda terrible to be honest.

I've seen a lot of mistakes and that sodium content in a lot of stuff they post. I mean the backwards stab and jabs at LIS is pretty crazy. Almost as if they hate it because it is successful. Which doesn't make sense because I've read articles were I see complaints about there not being enough female leads...yet they wanna take a shot and say probably mostly males wrote the game.

Then I thought I could avoid them again and I see them again making a mistake concerning Tales. I'm not shocked they preferred Fiona because they are more pro for the female characters anyway.

• edited January 2016

They haven't been the same since they were taken over. Both writers originally doing Tales coverage quit during the merger. OTOH, their coverage of Tales and BL2 describing the characters like Fiona and Maya and were what made me willing to give a genre I don't usually enjoy a try.

But for an article on female playable characters, a writing slant towards Fiona shouldn't really be a surprise. Even Sasha and Chloe don't count for the purposes of the article.

And to be honest, I didn't find what she wrote about LiS hateful at all. The writing is a bit awkward and it is true that 100% of the writing staff was male (though one of the producers was a woman.) Having younger female staff on the team gives a greater odds to catch 'no one talks like that' moments (Bioware assigns character specific writers for that reason). It's also true that they are a French dev, so it is equally possible the dialogue is less awkward in French.

But it's also true that the dev cared strongly enough about Max that they refused to change her gender in exchange for funding.

Have to saw that TheMarySue is kinda terrible to be honest. I've seen a lot of mistakes and that sodium content in a lot of stuff they po

• I mean the backwards stab and jabs at LIS is pretty crazy. Almost as if they hate it because it is successful.

Thats not true. The writer just didn't care for the game like you did.

Have to saw that TheMarySue is kinda terrible to be honest. I've seen a lot of mistakes and that sodium content in a lot of stuff they po

• Ugh, its the Mary Sue. Well, at least Fiona is getting some more love, so there is that.

• No, even some of the commenters who didn't like the game pointed out how there was so much salt coming from them. I just think its kinda funny when I think about it more though.

I mean the backwards stab and jabs at LIS is pretty crazy. Almost as if they hate it because it is successful. Thats not true. The writer just didn't care for the game like you did.

• edited January 2016

No

I'm pretty sure after reading the article, that the reviewer just didn't care for the game and had strong feelings as to why. Also its worth noting that the author in question is Maddy Meyers. She does not represent the Mary Sue's general opinion of the game. Take Stephanie's opinion of LiS for example:

Life Is Strange Poignantly Captures the Joy and Pain of Having a Best Friend

No, even some of the commenters who didn't like the game pointed out how there was so much salt coming from them. I just think its kinda funny when I think about it more though.

• It makes sense, considering what website it came from.

I didn’t really care about the love story that unfolds between our heroes Rhys and Fiona This statement is confusing and unexpected.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.