TFTBL #11 on Gamesradar's Best Games of 2015

http://www.gamesradar.com/best-games-2015/

enter image description here

11. Tales from the Borderlands

Nobody saw Tales from the Borderlands coming. Developed by a company renowned for their narrative-heavy episodic games, yet based off a franchise that's notoriously light on story, it seemed like a strange little side-project. But Tales from the Borderlands is full of surprises - stomach-turning, nerve-rending, guffaw-worthy surprises - and works so well that it sets a new standard not just for episodic adventures, but all comedy titles to come.

Starring a goofball salaryman way out of his element, a con-artist who isn't nearly as smooth as she thinks, and a huge supporting cast brimming with eclectic charm, Tales from the Borderlands tells a bizarre story the perfectly captures the best parts of Borderlands and repackages them for fans and non-fans alike. It's hard not to laugh when two characters share a tearful goodbye before falling two feet, feel solidarity with a sassy robot that questions the protagonists' life choices, or twitch uncomfortably when impromptu surgery comes into the picture. It's a ridiculously fun thrill-ride and over before you know it, and soon enough you'll be banging on the Vault gate for more.

Comments

• Only 11? Don't get me wrong, glad to see it on a list (and even happier to see it above Life is Strange) but it should definitely be in the Top 10.

• Interesting choice of image for this topic.

• Dude, Gamesradar makes the shittiest lists of all time, so much so that they put FNAF 2 as number 3 in their best horror games of the 2000's list. Their opinion doesn't mean shit. TFTBL is indeed in the top 10

Only 11? Don't get me wrong, glad to see it on a list (and even happier to see it above Life is Strange) but it should definitely be in the Top 10.

• That was Gamesradar's choice. Not the one I would have used to sum up the game either. Dunno if it is meant to be clickbait or what, but it doesn't even really match the text that accompanies it.

Pumpkinpunk posted: »

Interesting choice of image for this topic.

• edited December 2015

Regardless of the number they gave it, the blurb is positively glowing. It does make me wonder what the top 10 are going to be, though.

Only 11? Don't get me wrong, glad to see it on a list (and even happier to see it above Life is Strange) but it should definitely be in the Top 10.

• edited December 2015

I think it kind of sums up the game in that its full of wierd surprises that make you laugh and groan at the same time. Plus, they do mention that scene in the write up.

Linnet posted: »

That was Gamesradar's choice. Not the one I would have used to sum up the game either. Dunno if it is meant to be clickbait or what, but it doesn't even really match the text that accompanies it.

• Isn't that an unreliable narration moment from Fiona after Rhys fell?

KCohere posted: »

I think it kind of sums up the game in that its full of wierd surprises that make you laugh and groan at the same time. Plus, they do mention that scene in the write up.

• edited December 2015

Oh, youre right. I was thinking of the eye gouging thing.

Linnet posted: »

Isn't that an unreliable narration moment from Fiona after Rhys fell?

• I think the expressions are perfect for it.
    Not the top ten, but it's definitely something!

• It also got 5th place in Entertainment Weekly's "10 Best Video Games of 2015" list.

http://www.ew.com/gallery/best-video-games-2015/2406638_best-5-tales-borderlands-multiplatform

• Not sure how to feel about MGSV being number 1, considering it's an unfinished game.

lupinb0y posted: »

It also got 5th place in Entertainment Weekly's "10 Best Video Games of 2015" list. http://www.ew.com/gallery/best-video-games-2015/2406638_best-5-tales-borderlands-multiplatform

Sign in to comment in this discussion.