Hardcore Gamer's Best of 2015: Best Story, Best Licensed Soundtrack, and Best Voice Acting

Comments

• edited January 2016

While I am happy they appreciated the writing, if I didn't already love the game I'd find the phrase "the single funniest game the industry has seen since South Park: The Stick of Truth" cause to doubt the source.

I also wish they'd given Jared Emerson Johnson's original score at least a shoutout in the win for "licensed soundtrack"

• edited January 2016

Yeah, I can understand that.

To be honest I was surprised that they won Best Voice and Best Licensed Soundtrack. I thought that Life Is Strange used music the best in their game while Tales as they said used music to set how each episode may be. I dunno I just feel like the use of music for LIS is being highly underrated. Tales certainly did do music great in their game though.

Still very deserving and I'm happy that its getting some recognition.

Linnet posted: »

While I am happy they appreciated the writing, if I didn't already love the game I'd find the phrase "the single funniest game the industry

• I feel like the Voicing win was fully deserved. It says something that they praised the cast for a full paragraph and never got around to mentioning Patrick Warburton. Even the unnamed characters were well acted.

I see what you mean about LiS. They integrated so well with the gameplay that I can't actually remember the songs, even though I know they were there. Meanwhile, every opening for Tales was a professional quality music video that was impossible not to notice.

Yeah, I can understand that. To be honest I was surprised that they won Best Voice and Best Licensed Soundtrack. I thought that Life Is S

• With a lot of LIS songs it really fits the game and what is going on. From the beginning song if you listen to the words then you can associate it with Max and Chloe. Goes the same with pretty much every song LIS has in the game. It wasn't there to provide a cool moment but actually gave more depth to the game.

The way Tales used music was more so to hype up a scene or just the episode in general. I mean retrograde along with episode 4 probably was one of the best intros I've seen in a game. Does that mean it used music better?...I think it should go beyond a intro sequence in terms of being the best. Though, that doesn't take away the great use of it.

I feel like the Voicing win was fully deserved. It says something that they praised the cast for a full paragraph and never got around to m

• Thanks to Dameon Clarke's twitter, saw that TFTBL also won Best Surprise and Best Adventure

• edited January 2016

Wow, GOTY !!!!

In a year where there’s The Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Metal Gear Solid V, it’s hard to believe a Telltale adventure game came out on top, but that’s exactly the case. While those three games are phenomenal in their own right, It was the combination of terrific storytelling and comedic writing that had us gawking over Tales from the Borderlands. It was a game that had us smiling over the hilarious antics of the cast, and even though it comes off a bit childish at times, there were moments, especially in the final episode, that featured a more mature, thick plot. This has something to do with how Telltale was able to develop both the story and the characters, ensuring you care about everyone.

Whether it’s the adorable Gortys who always aims to please, or the middle management Rhys who never seems to catch a break, there’s never a moment without hilarity or poignancy among this motley crew. It’s amazing that after what we thought would be Telltale’s magnum opus, The Walking Dead, that they’ve not only been able to maintain the quality, but arguably improve upon it with subsequent releases. Tales from the Borderlands is a game that deserves to be played not only by point and click and Borderlands fans, but anybody who loves perfectly formed storytelling.

Also Gortys won Best New Character

• edited January 2016

I love tales and even I'm a little iffy with most of the awards it won..including GOTY.

Though, from the beginning it seemed more like the comedy aspect of Tales won them over if anything. Though, I still can't shake that feeling that other games deserved GOTY because they simply did more.

Also, did The Witcher 3 win anything from them lol? Is this the first site to snub TW3?

• Um, may I remind you that the Witcher 3 has already won six GOTY awards already?

I love tales and even I'm a little iffy with most of the awards it won..including GOTY. Though, from the beginning it seemed more like th

• The THIRD Borderlands game to win GOTY! :D

Also, MGS V is beautiful.

Wow, GOTY !!!! In a year where there’s The Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Metal Gear Solid V, it’s hard to believe a Telltale adventure game

• So because it has already won a lot..it doesn't deserve it anymore?

LawmanZero posted: »

Um, may I remind you that the Witcher 3 has already won six GOTY awards already?

• Not that it doesn't deserve it, it's a wonderful game with a beautiful story and even better books and got Poland back in the public eye..it's just...well...nice to see another game win it for a change, in my opinion.

So because it has already won a lot..it doesn't deserve it anymore?

• Um, may I remind you that the Witcher 3 has already won six GOTY awards already?

Currently it has over 160 goty awards.

Um, may I remind you that the Witcher 3 has already won six GOTY awards already?

• Even if I love other games more than TW3.

I can't say the game doesn't deserve all it gets.

Um, may I remind you that the Witcher 3 has already won six GOTY awards already? Currently it has over 160 goty awards.

• I just really can't get over how awful the cinematography/animation is where Quiet is involved. Which is a shame, because if it weren't for the creeper cam and the outfit, I like the character.

The THIRD Borderlands game to win GOTY! Also, MGS V is beautiful.

• Put it this way: do you think a 7th GOTY would be the difference between TW4 getting made or not?

So because it has already won a lot..it doesn't deserve it anymore?

• Its one of those games where I can see and agree with the praise/hype.

Even if I love other games more than TW3. I can't say the game doesn't deserve all it gets.

• One of the few games I can say really deserves the awards. Looking forward to a second season. (if it happens)

• edited January 2016

For me, a better outfit would be:

-Give her a tank top and a military vest.

-Put camo paint on her arms.

-Remove leggings, give her shorts and put camo paint on her legs too.

-Make that glove a bit shorter.

I mean, she's a wonderful character and Venom Snake's love interest (VenomxQuiet=YES), but after a while, the fanservice gets so excessive that you don't pay attention to it anymore.

I just really can't get over how awful the cinematography/animation is where Quiet is involved. Which is a shame, because if it weren't for the creeper cam and the outfit, I like the character.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

According to this, it's sitting at 205+

As far as I know, that would make it the third most awarded game ever, just behind Skyrim (2nd) and The Last of Us (1st)

Um, may I remind you that the Witcher 3 has already won six GOTY awards already? Currently it has over 160 goty awards.

• edited January 2016

Whoever decided that stockings were breathable have clearly never worn any. Shorts would have made so much more sense.

For me, a better outfit would be: -Give her a tank top and a military vest. -Put camo paint on her arms. -Remove leggings, give her

• Proof that Cipher has crap fashion advisors.

Whoever decided that stockings were breathable have clearly never worn any. Shorts would have made so much more sense.

• JaredEJJaredEJ Former Telltale Staff

I'm perfectly content with your shoutout, Linnet! Glad you're enjoying the music. You all are the reason I do it! Thanks for the love.

While I am happy they appreciated the writing, if I didn't already love the game I'd find the phrase "the single funniest game the industry

• If it were available on amazon MP3 I would absolutely buy it. As it is I just sort of hang out in the loading screen sometimes because I can't bear to cut the music off.

JaredEJ posted: »

I'm perfectly content with your shoutout, Linnet! Glad you're enjoying the music. You all are the reason I do it! Thanks for the love.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.