(Still) Cannot Bring Myself to Play Episode 6

A brief background...

For the supposed PC 'master race' it is rather disgruntling to know that Steam Players have to wait almost 24 hours extra than Console Players to have access to the latest Telltale game episode released. Considering the sheer stakes that were raised in the Episode 5 finale I couldn't just sit around and wait for Episode 6 to release on Steam when I knew Console Players already got the episode on time and were experiencing what must have been one hell of a finale.

So I watched a walkthrough of the final episode on Youtube, but only watched Asher's route, as I personally chose to save Rodrik instead in my own playthrough.

And was it a satisfying finale? No, on the contrary I felt cheated: Mira's potential is squandered and Ironrath is lost, and while the Whitehills incur heavy damage they now occupy the Forrester stronghold, while quite out of the blue two new characters are introduced into the narrative as the late Lord Gregor's magical bastard children - it just came out of nowhere and ended up with more questions about the North Grove than answers. Should Cotter be sacrificed for whatever unexplained 'great power' within the North Grove that we never see? Should they stay behind to defend it from the upcoming Whitewalker invasion or go straight back to Ironrath? These are difficult choices and we don't see their consequences, in the end the finale left me scratching my head in confusion and sheer frustration and the overall lack of progress or resolution achieved despite having 6 entire episodes to work with, almost the length of an entire GoT TV season.

It was just bait for Season 2, no answers, no resolution, even the conflict with the Whitehills reached an uncertain climax with no clear victor.

In other words, it all felt so wasted... all my decisions, the characters whose lives I played with, the status of the Forresters that I struggled with gets no resolution, the story doesn't feel complete or self-contained like Tales, Wolf or TWD Season 1 - it doesn't repay any investments and everything seems for naught.

Afterwards I became too depressed to play Episode 6 myself. I don't even know what happens in Rodrik's route. Really I just want to wait for Season 2 to debut first before playing Episode 6 - at least then there's a chance of some loose ends being tied together, though there's no telling when Season 2 will come out (2018 at earliest probably) and I don't know what to do.

Is Episode 6 truly worth playing? Is there any story-based satisfaction or resolution to be gained? Is it worth it or was the ending basically an advertisement for a Season 2 that we'll have to wait several years for? I don't know what decisions matter anymore...

Comments

• While I understand what you're saying about things being unresolved, you're right in thinking that it is bait for season 2. They did say from the very beginning that there would be more than one season. I know that at times it feels like you're totally powerless to improve the situation. Just when you think you've won a victory you end up taking two steps back. As depressing as this can be at times, this is what they are aiming for. The Foresters are essentially in a very dangerous situation, they have no real power and so Telltale want us to feel that powerlessness too. I might add that they are doing a very good job of that too. Telltale like to tease us. They put us in this hopeless situation, and just when we begin to think that there is no hope at all; they allow us a little victory to keep our hopes up.

I agree that I think Mira's potential has been wasted. However episode 6 is still a very good episode and I would recommend that you play it. Ok so in the end we lose Ironrath, however there are a few little victories along the way, which would have an impact on season 2. If you plan on playing S2 when it comes out then you will want to have this chapter of the story complete. Besides anything else, you get to kill a few people who had it coming to them and that does feel satisfying.

• Don't play it then, nobody cares, Jesus.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited January 2016

though there's no telling when Season 2 will come out (2018 at earliest probably) and I don't know what to do.

Actually, if this tweet from Job prior to the Season 2 announcement is any indication, it could come as soon as this year

Major news on #GoT coming VERY soon. #TWD: Michonne Mini-Series info also coming. Our 2016 lineup is a lot like a TV schedule!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.