Is there a right way to play this game?

edited January 2016 in Game Of Thrones

Got as far as Episode 3 so far...

At first I was following someone else's recommendations I saw... but then I saw someone else disapproving of it.

Having read over a few things on these boards, I'm getting the distinct impression that everyone does things differently.

But so far... I'm getting the impression that the storyline doesn't really... branch. That my dialogue choices make a difference to later dialogue, but the scenes themselves seem predetermined... such that all the parts in them have to be played by someone... somehow. QTE failures seem to lead to a Valar Morghulis screen (though I swear I've failed some and the scene has still gone on regardless)... but everything else seems unable to even trip the plot. I'm starting to suspect that even if I'd had Mira walk off with Tyrion rather than stay with Margaery, I'd STILL have needed to break her into his room to get the document... just for some different excuse-reason.

So it leaves me wondering if what I say actually matters or not? I mean if I have the characters basically mouth off like a bunch of juvenile sociopaths... lie, cheat and break their word to everyone... I'll still be able to get through to the end of the Season? It feels like the "destiny" of the plot is going to enforce itself, whether because of my choices or in spite of them.

I can't tell at this stage. I just can't tell.

[Edit]: I figure maybe if I get through the first season entirely picking whatever choices I like... I'll try an Ilyn Payne playthrough: i.e. always pick the "..." response or let the timer run out on every bit of dialogue. =p

Comments

• edited January 2016

To answer your main question: no, there is no 'right' way to play the game, and yes, you will be able to get to the end of the season regardless of what choices you make and what dialogue options you will choose.

The main plot will always move forward the same one way, no matter what you do. There might be some slight differences in how events unfold, changed or added dialogues or NPC's having different reactions to your actions, but it's mostly extra flavour. Each and every episode will begin and end mostly the same. The only real 'branching' choice appears in Episode 5, which makes parts of Episode 6 different, depending on choice. And there are some choices in Episode 6 that might branch out in different directions, but we'd have to wait for Season 2 to see if it comes to that.

• My advice... pretend you are actually the characters and the Forresters are actually your family. Take time getting invested into the characters and make every decision based on raw instinct. Don't get on the forums after to see how your choices don't matter much and you should have a pretty immersive playthrough.

• ... Nah. I don't want an immersive playthrough. I don't like the characters and I can't make the choices I'd want to make in their position anyway. I want to play based on meta-knowledge. I want an understanding of what is possible and what the general rules of causality are within the game so I can work towards the most favourable outcome.

My advice... pretend you are actually the characters and the Forresters are actually your family. Take time getting invested into the charac

• If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

SotiCoto posted: »

... Nah. I don't want an immersive playthrough. I don't like the characters and I can't make the choices I'd want to make in their position

• I don´t want to enter in detail as it seems you haven´t finish the game yet. But no, I would say after 2 playtroughs that there´s no right way to play the game.

• I'll try to make this the most spoiler free as possible.

You get to chose who lives and who dies (this is more noticeable by the last 2 episodes). In the end of the series you can get 3 different allies based on a choice made in Episode 5 and 6. You can also pretty much determine relationships between characters (more noticeable in Mira and Gared playthroughs).

In the down side some character relationships are pre determined and the main plot is a bit linear.

... Nah. I don't want an immersive playthrough. I don't like the characters and I can't make the choices I'd want to make in their position

• Meh. The anti-spoiler mentality just bugs me. Spoil away.

• So you won't tell me because I haven't managed the illustrious achievement of finishing this rather linear game yet?

SpaceTales posted: »

I don´t want to enter in detail as it seems you haven´t finish the game yet. But no, I would say after 2 playtroughs that there´s no right way to play the game.

• Who said anything about a happy ending? I mean besides you right here...

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

• If you insist...

You can get Asher, Rodrik, Gryff, Ludd, Duncan, Royland, Tom and Mira killed. By the end of the game you can have Duncan/Royland/Gwyn as you ally. Sera's realtionship towards you change completely if you spill her secret and get her dismissed. Gwyn can hate you (which results in she stabbing you) or love you (which will result on she helping you).

Don't say I didn't warn you ;)

Meh. The anti-spoiler mentality just bugs me. Spoil away.

• I'm guessing some of those are mutually exclusive, right?

Like I can't get Asher, Rod, Gryff, Ludd, Duncan, Royland, Tom and Mira all killed in a single playthrough... can I?
    Sera is an annoying little bint. Shame I can't get her killed too. But I already used her secret as a bargaining chip, so I've already thrown her as far under the bus as she'll go.

... Who, exactly, does Gwyn stab? And based on what? Killing her father? I'll probably want to kill Ludd... but I'd rather kill Ramsay. Shame he has plot-armour.

If you insist... You can get Asher, Rodrik, Gryff, Ludd, Duncan, Royland, Tom and Mira killed. By the end of the game you can have Duncan

• Like I can't get Asher, Rod, Gryff, Ludd, Duncan, Royland, Tom and Mira all killed in a single playthrough... can I?

Correct.

Who, exactly, does Gwyn stab? And based on what? Killing her father?

Asher and no you can kill her brother and keep her at your good side.

I've already thrown her as far under the bus as she'll go

Believe me, you haven't xD

I'm guessing some of those are mutually exclusive, right? Like I can't get Asher, Rod, Gryff, Ludd, Duncan, Royland, Tom and Mira all kil

• edited January 2016

Hmm....

Based on what that bellend Ramsay said... he just wants to see which side wins the little war. The war is effectively over if Ludd dies... but there will still be those out for revenge. Assuming that the moment the Forrester / Whitehill rivalry effectively ends... the Boltons are likely to step in and play funny buggers with what remains of the Forresters, it makes sense to make sure there are as few people who are likely to side with the Boltons for revenge as possible.... so..... I guess I leave Ludd for the time being and kill that limp-haired loser instead. Maybe?

And now I'm wondering if Finn's death against the Wights was inevitable because he wasn't on your optional list. If I hadn't shot that wildling with the bow when she was running with the food, there would have been one fewer Wight about... BUT ... we wouldn't have onions. I shoulda known better when I was fighting the wildlings off. Shoulda remembered to burn the corpses... but then I guess even if I remembered, Gared didn't know.

Like I can't get Asher, Rod, Gryff, Ludd, Duncan, Royland, Tom and Mira all killed in a single playthrough... can I? Correct.

• Well if Finn don't come with you he obviously wont die...

You can kill Gryff and get Gwyn angry as well as you can kill Gryff and get Gwyn on your good side... It depends on a choice of episode 6.

Hmm.... Based on what that bellend Ramsay said... he just wants to see which side wins the little war. The war is effectively over if Lud

• So he won't be executed for his part in the shenanigans on the wall if he is left behind?

Well if Finn don't come with you he obviously wont die... You can kill Gryff and get Gwyn angry as well as you can kill Gryff and get Gwyn on your good side... It depends on a choice of episode 6.

• The right way to ply this game is don't give the Whithills satisfaction by acting like a little bitch

• It's a Ramsay reference lol

Who said anything about a happy ending? I mean besides you right here...

• edited January 2016

Uuuh, no, I mean that since you stated that you just got as far as episode 3 I didn´t wanted to spoil the reasons why there´s no right way to play the game. Basically I was trying not be an asshole and not ruin your experience.

But hey, I answer in a public thread you created in a public forum, I guess your attitude to be upset about my comment is completely rational.

So you won't tell me because I haven't managed the illustrious achievement of finishing this rather linear game yet?

• edited January 2016

That is never revealed. But I believe if you don't make amends with Finn in episode 3 then he rats you out and doesn't lie to cover for you. So basically if you're not friends with him he remains loyal to the Nights Watch and doesn't either desert and die or stay behind and face punishment.

So he won't be executed for his part in the shenanigans on the wall if he is left behind?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.