You May Also Enjoy...

Since it seems like we're in for a long wait for any new Borderlands stuff, do you guys have any books, movies, or games you'd recommend to someone who enjoyed this series? I think the obvious one is the Mad Max franchise, seeing as how it's influence is all over Borderlands ("That scag and his floozy, they're gonna die!").

The one I started this thread to recommend though is Death Race 2000, which I just watched again the other day with a bunch of friends (in a theatre, no less). It's a satire on the prevalence of violence in American pop culture and in the media. It's also full of over the top characters, a ton of great tongue-in-cheek gallows humor, and an oddball dystopian setting. Plus, you get to see Sylvester Stallone in one of his first (and best) roles.

Death Race 2000

Comments

• Doesn't really have any bearing on Borderlands or inspiration of same that I know of, but Isaac Asimov's Robot and Foundation series are great reads. If you're a fan of science fiction and you haven't read them, you're missing out. :D

Fair warning, he started these series in the 50s, so some attitudes on various topics are a little dated, but the books are still very captivating and for the most part, timeless.

• I haven't read as much Asimov as I'd like to, and I am a big fan of classic science fiction. I think Richard Matheson is my favourite from that era.

Bluebirdo posted: »

Doesn't really have any bearing on Borderlands or inspiration of same that I know of, but Isaac Asimov's Robot and Foundation series are gre

• edited January 2016

i recommend the fallout series especially fallout 4 and 3 i would love to see a death race game i did make one on gta5

• History of a Salaryman

This is a Korean drama based on a Chinese epic, but set in a satirical present day. So it's got corporate nation states that put hits out on rivals and perform science experiments on their poorer employees (including the title character). Does the bipolar thing from jokes about scientifically augmented chickens, to genuine sadness over the unexpected death of loved ones.

• Scott Pilgrim vs The World. My favourite movie ever and most underrated movie ever. I suggest you ALL go watch.

• And yet another Thread that has turned from "name similar things to Borderlands" into "name everything you like".....

• Try The Walking Dead if you haven't already ........ other than that nothing really compares

• And yet your post is the only one 100% off topic

JackMarco posted: »

And yet another Thread that has turned from "name similar things to Borderlands" into "name everything you like".....

• edited February 2016

I loved the cast, but I don't think it was a particularly good adaptation of the books.

ETA: Honest Trailer
    enter link description here

Scott Pilgrim vs The World. My favourite movie ever and most underrated movie ever. I suggest you ALL go watch.

• He's pretty progressive for his time though. I wonder if Water Clap would have gotten made into a movie today. At the time he specifically wrote it to piss off the studio execs who asked for it.

Bluebirdo posted: »

Doesn't really have any bearing on Borderlands or inspiration of same that I know of, but Isaac Asimov's Robot and Foundation series are gre

• Well, if you don't mind old school adventure puzzles Tales of Monkey Island has a more similar tone.

Try The Walking Dead if you haven't already ........ other than that nothing really compares

• I'll give it a shot

Linnet posted: »

Well, if you don't mind old school adventure puzzles Tales of Monkey Island has a more similar tone.

• If you're a nerd (like me) try Poker Night, it's pure crossover fan-service and I love it.

• So I watched Robocop (the good one) for the first time last night. Futuristic corporate espionage all the way.

• edited February 2016

Having just caught up on iZombie, it occurred to me that the CEO's approach to employees and the internet was very Jack.

(Also that Jack would probably literally kill to have the dynamic Du Clarke has with Gilda)

(Also also that Robert Buckley would be a good Axton)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.