Language question

edited September 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
If I buy WaG here on the telltales site, will I have like german and other languages for the games?Or do I have to buy the games in german to get them on their language?

And will the collectors DVD I will get over post include more languages?

Another question: if I buy the game, and the game hasnt one language, but after I buyed the game and already downloaded the game gets translated into another language.Will I be able to download this language then, as a patch or however?Just wondering.

Thanks in advance,
Sanin

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Most of your questions can be answered by a simple "no":

- no other languages than English for the download version (except subtitles)
    - no other languages than English for the collectors DVD (except subtitles)
    - no "language upgrade" option, as the translations are typically done by a distributor, who then owns the exclusive rights to sell that version (at least this is how it has been done with Telltale's other games so far)

It is very unlikely though that there will be a German version of W&G soon: the second season of "Sam & Max" has been released more than a year ago already, but a German version is still not available yet (expected to be released by Atari in September 2009).
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Wallace & Gromit comes with subtitles for English, German, French, Italian and Spanish in the download version. The collector's DVD also will have these subtitles. There is currently no voice for any language other than English, but there might be in the future.

Hope that answers your question!
  • edited July 2009
    i'd add that there are german subtitles and the graphics are also translated partly (always the import ones, not the rest), but the "navigational" translations were done by google or so, well at least i think they were never checked by a native speaker, rest is okay...

to say in one sentence: i like the english version better...
    i like the telltale games, but this translation is not what i'd expected, especially in muzzled, which has a word puzzle, the atmosphere goes quite down...

(for s&m: the translation took long, but it was properly done)
  • edited July 2009
    The spanish translation is very good. And I love that they have translated the graphics, too... :)
  • OMAOMA
    edited July 2009
    @ Kevin: Could you please tell us why is Wallace & Gromit the only Telltale game translated to four languages from day one? Who did the translations? A translation company hired by Telltale, or maybe it was done at Microsoft? (because of the Xbox Live release). I hope you can shed some light on this.
  • FloFlo
    edited July 2009
    I always prefer original versions over translations, but I wouldn't mind helping out by doing some proofreading of the German scripts if Telltale does them in-house and needs a native speaker.
  • edited September 2009
    Hi,
    I bought Monkey island on Tellgame but it's only English. Now I see someone who tell that Wallace&Gromit have french subtitle.... Someone could tell me where I can see language details for each game of telltalegames? Because I only want games which has french subtitles. Fortunately, a team translated the Monkey island subtitles in french :-)
  • edited September 2009
    OMA wrote: »
    @ Kevin: Could you please tell us why is Wallace & Gromit the only Telltale game translated to four languages from day one? Who did the translations? A translation company hired by Telltale, or maybe it was done at Microsoft? (because of the Xbox Live release). I hope you can shed some light on this.

It has to be translated in order to be released on XBLA, so in order to release it right away on XBLA, they were required to have it translated. The rest don't have this same restriction since they normally launch on PC or on PC and Wii.
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2009
    Each game franchise has different language options associated with it- at this time, Monkey Island does not have any official translations available, we were pleasantly surprised when we saw the demand. When the season is over, we hope to work on that.

Flo, thank you for your offer. I'm not sure how we do the translations, but I'll submit your name if it comes up.
  • edited September 2009
    ok but where can I see details languages for each telltalegames? Because before buying the game, I like to know the game language...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.