Are the episodes linked?

Just played the demo of episode 1 and enjoyed it... think I'm going to pick one as my Monkey Island freebie but I wanted to know a) do the episodes follow on or are they standalone and 2) which one is your favourite? I've got my eye on episode 5 but I wanted to ask around first!

Comments

• edited July 2009
    depends on how you think about it for your first connection.
    you could say that episode 2 and episode one are connected by strong bad being mean to the king of town toward the end of the game, and the kot gets mad and causes episode 2, that episode 3 is connected because an unwelcome guest could have broken the funmachine causing episode three, after all that chaos from the first 3 episodes, strong bad was bored causing him to make dangeresque 3 causing episode 4, and episode 5 IS connected because the terrible ratings caused strong bad to kick the trogdor machine causing episdoe 5
    Also, fave episode episode 3, baddest of the bands, but be sure to at least know both plots and endings of episodes 1 and 2.
  • edited July 2009
    They're only very lightly linked. The events of each episode are more or less self-contained, but there's a tiny bit of "Hey, here's a set-up for the next episode!" scene at the end and a "Hey, here's something from the last episode!" for a few seconds into the beginning. Nothing major.
  • Just barely linked. My favorite in episode 5 but I recommend starting episode 1 to know how puzzles work in the games then work your way up.
  • edited July 2009
    My favorite episode is 8 - bit is enough because of the final fight
  • edited July 2009
    buy the season or DVD for 35 dollars
  • edited July 2009
    Out the main four licenses that TTG use, Strong Bad is the only one that I think is not required to be played in order. I would say that my favourite is Episode 4, but I think Episode 5 beat it in a poll for TTG's best episode of the year (or did I just imagine it?).

Having said that, though, I would still recommend Episode 1. I'm a big advocate of experiencing things in the order the designer intended. Unless you are really set on only ever playing one episode, then I think Episode 1 should be the way to go.
  • edited July 2009
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    depends on how you think about it for your first connection.
    you could say that episode 2 and episode one are connected by strong bad being mean to the king of town toward the end of the game, and the kot gets mad and causes episode 2, that episode 3 is connected because the king could have put the chip in the funmachine breaking it causing episode three, after all that, strong bad was bored causing him to make dangeresque 3 causing episode 4, and episode 5 IS connected because the terrible ratings caused strong bad to kick the trogdor machine causing episdoe 5
    Also, fave episode episode 3, baddest of the bands, but be sure to at least know both plots and endings of episodes 1 and 2.

I'm sorry, but if I were in the posters position, you would have ruined the season for me.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm sorry, but if I were in the posters position, you would have ruined the season for me.

That's why its in spoilers:p
  • edited July 2009
    I think the first episode I ever played was episode 4: "Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective". I thought it was fun. I had never ever watched a Homestar Runner animation before that and never even heard of it. But it was so much fun I bought the whole season and also visited the Homestar website and watched all the cartoons on there!

Why did I play Episode 4 first? Hmm. I can't remember but I think I got it for free somehow. Then, I think I was able to do the upgrade thing and get the whole season at the discount price. It's always better when you get a discount! That's how I know Telltale are the best.
  • edited July 2009
    I'd totally go for 3 or 4.
  • edited July 2009
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    That's why its in spoilers:p

It's good that you used spoiler tags, but I think the point that StLouisRibs was trying to make was that the majority of your post contained info that the person you were responding to almost certainly would not want to know. It's always a good idea to keep in mind who you are responding to when typing a post.

It's an easy mistake to make, especially if you are dead tired when reading the forum. I know I've made worse mistakes when posting. If the poster didn't click on the spoiler box, then no harm done.
  • edited July 2009
    Shmeh wrote: »
    It's good that you used spoiler tags, but I think the point that StLouisRibs was trying to make was that the majority of your post contained info that the person you were responding to almost certainly would not want to know. It's always a good idea to keep in mind who you are responding to when typing a post.

It's an easy mistake to make, especially if you are dead tired when reading the forum. I know I've made worse mistakes when posting. If the poster didn't click on the spoiler box, then no harm done.

Ok, I changed it to spoil not as much of the season.
  • edited July 2009
    It's better, but could still use more work.
  • edited July 2009
    Meh. Leave him alone. He's just trying to help. I don't think they're really connected or linked in any way. I'd play Dangeresque 3 if your familiar with Homestarrunner.com or ever made you own home movies. If you don't know the Homestar Runner Universe, I'd probably play 8 Bit is Enough...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.