Telltale's Back to the Future Game getting a comic adaptation in May

Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
edited February 2016 in Back to the Future

Tweet from Back to the Future account: Comic adaptation of @.telltalegames' #BackToTheFutureTheGame coming soon from @.IDWPublishing!

Back to the Future™ #1: Citizen Brown Comic [Regular Cover / Street Date: May 25, 2016!]

Time-travelling into comics directly out of Telltale's 2010 smash-hit episodic video game BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE GAME! When an empty time-traveling DeLorean suddenly shows up in 1986, Marty McFly quickly learns that his friend Doctor Emmett "Doc" Brown is stranded in 1931 and possibly in mortal danger. Now it's up to Marty to return to the past to once again save Doc and the time-space continuum! But this time, will he be too late?

• Featuring the talents of Back to the Future co-creator Bob Gale, writer Erik Burnham (Ghostbusters, Back to the Future), and artist Alan Robinson (V-Wars, Back to the Future).
  • Adapting the hit video game from writers Bob Gale, Michael Stemmie, Andy Hartzell and Jonathan Straw for the first time!

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2016

This is awesome news. I was happy when they made a reference to Telltale's story in the setting of 1938 looking the same as Telltale's 1931, but really didn't expect anything beyond that.

It's possible this is being adapted because it will tie into their regular series. Maybe we might actually see some of the stuff that was hinted at in the game in comic form in their regular series (the next arc is called Continuum Conundrum - maybe it will explain the situation that caused the ending of Telltale's season, or possibly show how Doc got the temporal duplicate DeLorean time machine, or possibly both).

• I'm excited. I haven't read the newest comic series yet (waiting for it to be bundled into one graphic novel). It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, if they model the series or if they introduce new concepts. Assuming they do one comic per episode (which I don't think has been concerned), they'd have to cut quite a bit out (likely all the actually gameplay).

Also looking ahead, while a second season by telltale seems extremely unlikely 5 years later, perhaps at least we may get a continuation in the comics.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2016

A lot of people don't like the first arc of the comic, as it's two stories (except for the fifth comic, which is one) that tell stories that happened in the character's past, while Doc builds the time train in the Old West. I really liked it though, since it fleshes out the characters and fills in the blanks left by the films and the animated series. It's also really helped by the fact that Bob Gale helped come up with the stories of all of the issues, and he even co-wrote the dialog in some stories.

In these stories we get to see Clara's past before she Doc (including her parents, and they continue the story from the Clara's Folks episode of the animated series). Plus, there's a whole bunch of other neat ideas in there (including a couple really great issues based on the concept brought up by Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis in interviews about how Doc got his knowledge about nuclear power). There's a bunch of other stuff in there that reveals concepts that were alluded to in the films. It's all interesting, especially for someone who is a big Back to the Future fan (minus a silly small story about dinosaurs that I didn't particularly care for - but it's only the 7 page filler story - the main story in the issue was quite good).

The sixth issue (the first in the Continuum Conundrum arc) will see Doc finally leave the 19th century, and that's where it becomes a continuing arc instead of a series of small stories. It should become really fun then. :)

If you do want to read the Untold Stories and Alternate Timelines arc (issues 1 through 5), the trade paperback comes out on May 18, 2016, right before the first issue of Back to the Future: Citizen Brown is released. :)

There's also an alternate cover for the trade paperback that matches the 2015 Blu-Ray and Animated series design scheme. I already have the five issues of the comic, but I'm thinking about getting the trade paperback with this cover variation myself to go with my films.

I'm excited. I haven't read the newest comic series yet (waiting for it to be bundled into one graphic novel). It'll be interesting to see h

Sign in to comment in this discussion.