A younger and inexperienced Batman or older and experienced Batman?

So what kind of Batman do you want to play? Personally, I want to play a younger and inexperienced Batman because it will be easier to relate to him and giving us more freedom to develop his character. Also it will be easier for the writers and more plausible for us to understand the mistakes that he might make during his battle against crime.

I want to start out with an idealistic and naive Batman and end up with a more darker, cynical but experienced and more badass Batman.

Comments

• I feel given the nature of the teaser trailer with its talk about Bruce returning after years away, corruption in the police and the like that it's going to be a take on Batman's early years, possibly some version of Year One. That being said if Telltale electing to do a series which advanced across several years of Bruce's time as Batman, going with starting out alongside Alfred, allying with Robin and Batgirl, going from petty criminals and mob bosses like Falcone and Cobblepott to the freakier types like Joker, Scarecrow and Bane, all the way up to an older gritter Bruce akin to DKR or Batman Beyond would be an interesting way of approaching a series if they're going for a self contained five to six episode series run.

• Maybe if Telltale is interested in making more seasons with the game, they could use your idea? :)

I feel given the nature of the teaser trailer with its talk about Bruce returning after years away, corruption in the police and the like th

• I'd love a younger and more inexperienced Batman. I think he'd have more interesting reactions to all the sick psycho's of Gotham. They could always gradually have Batman more experienced and hardened if they make more than one season.

I think it'd also be great if we were playing as Bruce during his parents murder and actually witness it. I think it'd make us more invested in Bruce as a character.

• Like play as young Bruce in the intro and actually talk to his parents, interact with them leading up to their death? We've seen this iconic scene so many times that it's gotten too repetitive for me the but is they actually draw this out, let you be Bruce in that moment, I could get into that.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I'd love a younger and more inexperienced Batman. I think he'd have more interesting reactions to all the sick psycho's of Gotham. They coul

• Huh? Well i do like to play as old batman and fight superman, It could be nice...

• Yeah actually play it. You the player try to stop it but ultimately fail and witness a brutal tragedy.

Joker93 posted: »

Like play as young Bruce in the intro and actually talk to his parents, interact with them leading up to their death? We've seen this iconic

• Awwww, thanks, but if I could have anything from TT I'd rather help them make the best Doctor Who or Marvel games ever than Batman, they probably got that dude sorted.

Maybe if Telltale is interested in making more seasons with the game, they could use your idea?

• I could imagine a flashback with Bruce and his parents, though the fact is that Arkham Asylum already did that and we've seen that scene in both 89 Batman, Batman Begins, Gotham and will again in BVS so I dunno if trying to prevent it as a kid really works.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I'd love a younger and more inexperienced Batman. I think he'd have more interesting reactions to all the sick psycho's of Gotham. They coul

• I guess Id prefer an already known Batman, origin stories are really boring, specifically with a character everyone knows.

That was one of the things I liked about the Deadpool movie, it still had the origin story, but it was played out so much differently and non linear.

• I wasn't thinking about our Batman being in Origin phase. I am thinking more in line with a Batman who has been around for some time, but still not enough to be the dark, cynical, older and experienced Batman that we know.

Poogers555 posted: »

I guess Id prefer an already known Batman, origin stories are really boring, specifically with a character everyone knows. That was one o

• Experienced

More drama, darker story.

• Oh alright, I get you.

in that case Id probably want an in-between, I wouldnt want him to be some newbie Batman or some grizzled old Batman, somewhere in time where he's fully capable but is still new.

I wasn't thinking about our Batman being in Origin phase. I am thinking more in line with a Batman who has been around for some time, but still not enough to be the dark, cynical, older and experienced Batman that we know.

• @Poogers555 Do you play Bully? Are you from Bully Board?

Poogers555 posted: »

Oh alright, I get you. in that case Id probably want an in-between, I wouldnt want him to be some newbie Batman or some grizzled old Batman, somewhere in time where he's fully capable but is still new.

• I would like a younger batman just to see telltales take on the origin story

• Well, since it seems like they are doing both Batman and Bruce Wayne, it maybe more interesting if the story was more toward to the early years. Looking at Bruce acclimate himself back in Wayne Industries and trying to influence government policies would be a cool take on the character.

• And there is also the fact that Bruce has to juggle with his dual identity as the Playboy Bruce Wayne and the Dark Vigilant Batman.

pcharl01 posted: »

Well, since it seems like they are doing both Batman and Bruce Wayne, it maybe more interesting if the story was more toward to the early ye

• A younger and inexperienced Batman actually makes sense, given the style of Telltale gaming.
    Personally I wouldn't mind a younger and inexperienced Batman.
    Perhaps the game should start, and I'm going by the storyline used in Batsman Begins, after Bruce Wayne disappears from Gotham, and goes trekking across the world looking for answers.

That we, as Bruce Wayne, get to experience his travels, prior to becoming Batman, and get to see how our choices, both big and small not only effect the story of Bruce Wayne, but also the characters around him.

• As much as I would love to see Telltale do an old Batman at the end of his career, Young batman might work better for their storytelling. Manage Wayne Enterprises, making decisions that could change how the city is handled, and fighting foes trying to find who he wants to be, maybe even suffering loss at the end of the series, which reinforces him to become the more hard, dark batman. (I'd love to see batman go crazy after someone dying. (he may have done that in the comics, but I don't read those) I'm sure they could make a good scene about that.

"... mind of Bruce Wayne and the duality of his identity..."

• CathalOHaraCathalOHara Moderator
    edited February 2016

Why not both? Be playing as a young inexperienced one at the start of the game and by the end he can be a hardened badass. Kinda like how Ezio's story was told in Assassin's Creed II. With the episodic nature of Tellale it would make plenty of sense to do it that way too. Like maybe one choice you make in episode 1 can pretty much form up what kind of Batman Bruce becomes (and maybe even alter the costume he wears depending on your actions) and have the game chronicle his crimefighing career, something like:

Episode 1 - Year one.

Episode 2 - Year two.

Episode 3 - Year four.

Episode 4 - Year five.

Episode 5 - Year ten.

• I personally think the yearly timeskips would work better if Telltale plans to make more seasons with the game. Like Season 1 being Year 1 and Season 2 being Year 2 and etc.

CathalOHara posted: »

Why not both? Be playing as a young inexperienced one at the start of the game and by the end he can be a hardened badass. Kinda like how Ez

• well i hope we start sometime in Year One of Batman.. though i kinda wanted to see Joker, Bane or even Superman at this game at some point.. but i dont want a too old Batman or a too young one ... maybe 1 year or 2 after that comic would be nice for me

• I like the idea of actually playing the origin, get to spend some time getting to know his parents and mess around during the opera before the alley scene. Then jump ahead to early Batman, then another five or ten year jump, introduce a Robin and Batgirl. So the bulk of it ends up with older, prime mentor Batman and his now fully in their primes former sidekicks, Nightwing etc. I'd love to see them kind of allude to the Justice League and the Teen Titans. And I hope the main villain in the through plot turns out to be some lesser known character, or a new character for the game, so it's not just Batman's Greatest Hits. Cover a lot of ground on the front end and kind of pick up those threads for a very intense day or so over the last three episodes.

• a normal batman. i don't want this to be an origin story.

• I'd find that even MORE amazing in just a custom Telltale story. Just a guy or girl living their life through different ages. Reminds me of the woman who lived to 122 and talked about Van Gogh visiting her father's paint shop.

I love the idea, though!

CathalOHara posted: »

Why not both? Be playing as a young inexperienced one at the start of the game and by the end he can be a hardened badass. Kinda like how Ez

• I was thinking it is a normal Batman story, but just with a younger Batman instead of an older one.

megamike15 posted: »

a normal batman. i don't want this to be an origin story.

• Older batman for sure! So the sequel can obviously be Batman Begins and we can see grumpy old Bruce Wayne.

But seriously my favorite Bruce Wayne is always in his 40s/50s. I've never liked a younger Bruce much. Something about how the bitterness has taken a grip on his psyche after his many years dealing with the Gotham riff raff is always more appealing to me than his first foray into the life of vigilante-ism.

• Younger batman, we have already seen an older more experienced batman but we somewhat saw a younger batman in arkham origins but it would be nice to see somthing like batman begins in telltale game format

• Younger. I want to be able to shape the world, I would personally have Batman kill on occasion.

• The DC 'Extended Universe' is already doing an older more experienced Batman (not a good idea if its meant to rival the lifespan of the MCU) so I'd prefer Telltale do a younger more inexperienced Batman - Year One style. It will also probably make it far easier to empathize with him if we struggle together with his character.

• Considering the recent information that Telltale is partly inspired by Jim Lee's arts of Batman, we might get a relatively young one.

I will be watching Dawn of Justice this Thursday, it will be interesting to see how Ben portrays Batman.

Harian96 posted: »

The DC 'Extended Universe' is already doing an older more experienced Batman (not a good idea if its meant to rival the lifespan of the MCU)

• edited March 2016

Why isn't it a good idea? First of all Ben Affleck isn't that old, he could easily do this for 15 years -- he's only 43. More over, when it's time for Bruce to retire, they can launch head on full stop into batman beyond territory, where batman is no longer Bruce Wayne. Honestly, every live action batman to date has been Bruce -- Bruce can easily become Alfred to a new Batman, that would actually be quite fresh in the DCU. They have multiple outs and baked in longevity at the age they started with -- which arguably gives them the most story options possible while already giving us a very distinguished batman. I don't think they could have made a better call to be honest, and we already know that Affleck is signed on to play Batman for a while, he's even going to be directing a stand alone batman film for the DCU starring himself as Bruce. He's also in Suicide Squad. So that's 3 movies already with Ben as the Bat.

Sidenote; All of the reviews so far have said Affleck killed it as Batman, even if the movie wasn't a masterpiece, his portrayal of Bruce and the Bat evidently were.

Harian96 posted: »

The DC 'Extended Universe' is already doing an older more experienced Batman (not a good idea if its meant to rival the lifespan of the MCU)

• edited March 2016

I think they should set it a little after year one. I say this because I really liked how the Wolf Among Us had this pre-existing world which felt so rich and I am hoping the Batman game embodies that - well that and the detective aspects.

In that little teaser it shows Bruce with two women under each arm so I doubt they are going for an older Batman - I know that was just a teaser but yeah I would personally want Telltale to have it close to year one or perhaps have him in the middle of his career of donning the cowl.

Come to think of it - they might find it easier to have it be in Batman's early years because they said the story isn't going to focus on the Bat-family. I am going too much in to the different versions of Batman now - I need to keep an open mind because Telltale are doing their own fresh interpretation (which I am fine with).

• edited March 2016

Season 1- Young Batman just starting his career.

Season 2- Batman in his prime, having learned from possible mistakes made in season 1.

Season 3- "Getting too old for this shit" Batman, retiring and passing the torch on to his chosen successor.

• Sounds like the Dark Knight Trilogy. :)

Season 1- Young Batman just starting his career. Season 2- Batman in his prime, having learned from possible mistakes made in season 1. Season 3- "Getting too old for this shit" Batman, retiring and passing the torch on to his chosen successor.

• Haha yeah, definitely not the most original idea, but still the best model in my opinion.

Sounds like the Dark Knight Trilogy.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.