Tales From The Borderlands Limited Edition

I pre-ordered the season pass way back on steam, we all know that this game will have a disc release on april for people like me who really want a limited edition for this game, it would be awesome!!! since there is NO merch whatsoever for tales, why not include a limited edition since we already will have a disc release :(

btw, Life Is Strange got a limited edition:- = why cant tales have too? its been highly acclaimed and well loved. PLEASE TELLTALE/GEARBOX make this happen.
NOTE : People seems to be focusing more on the LIS part, it was just to make a point. NOT A COMPARISON! thank u.
The Limited Edition For LIFE IS STRANGE

I made a poll to see if people want this to be a thing, I don't know what they might include, but i'm sure they'll be creative with it. hopefully, lol.

---POLL---
(( http://goo.gl/GECli4 ))

Comments

• Don't expect a limited edition unless money was streamlined for it. Think of how Oxenfree got a collectors edition a few days after the games released. Things like that can be planned straight from the beginning.

Though, in LIS case they experienced great sales, great response, and in my opinion one of the best cast of characters created. The game does a lot of things right and then tries to go even further. Racking up a slew of nominations, wins, top list, and having great sales. Can indeed encourage a limited edition and the push for more.

Tales never really had that hype of backing that LIS experienced. I mean at various points I remember LIS was one of the more talked about things on Youtube, Twitch, and Tumblr. I wish that Tales had that kind of response but it just never did.

• Life is Strange is pretty different, though. It's the developers first hugely popular game. But yeah, I think Tales having a limited edition would be pretty cool.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2016

This is a completely different situation. Life is Strange was published by one of the world's largest publishers, Square Enix.

Unless a large publisher makes a deal with Telltale to publish a special edition, it's unlikely that it will happen since Telltale tried special editions of their own in the past and they didn't sell very well (they actually had a 75%-90% off sale at one point to liquidate all of their stock). The Walking Dead: Season Two and The Wolf Among Us collector's DVDs also were apparently not good sellers. That's most likely the reason that Telltale no longer sells physical merchandise in their store.

Telltale has had deals with publishers in the past (Lace Mamba published a special edition of Sam & Max Season Three in Europe), so it's possible, but not likely.

I think we're more likely to see a physical disc release in Europe, through an external publisher for PC, and possibly Mac. It'll probably be like Law & Order where it's just the games on a disc and a case with a cover. There's a possibility that they might include concept art on disc though, as they've done that quite often in the past.

• I think they will release a limited edition, they did that with the walking dead, I would buy the shit out of that

• I remember the olden days when Tales of Monkey Island had this sweet boxset with the map, the coins and goodies, or S&M with the Friendly Demon Song CD, the time-travel card and stuff. But I don't think they have the infrastructure for it now. The demand would be too much to handle.

• I'M sorry, I don't think of telltale as ''indie'', they're big now. they have deals with HBO/Marvel etc.. their games sells well, I don't think what you said is relevant now. maybe a couple of years ago, but not now.

Jennifer posted: »

This is a completely different situation. Life is Strange was published by one of the world's largest publishers, Square Enix. Unless a

• on that note, telltale is not indie anymore. they can make it happen if they partner up with great people for this stuff.

Lewsblake23 posted: »

Life is Strange is pretty different, though. It's the developers first hugely popular game. But yeah, I think Tales having a limited edition would be pretty cool.

• I think it depends on sales, Tales was well received among critics and fans, I cant think of a telltale game that's recent did that. maybe TWD S1?, anyhow I didn't include LIS to make comparisons, I just wanted to make a point, tales need a limited edition for fans who want it.

Don't expect a limited edition unless money was streamlined for it. Think of how Oxenfree got a collectors edition a few days after the game

• :(

Fazz posted: »

I remember the olden days when Tales of Monkey Island had this sweet boxset with the map, the coins and goodies, or S&M with the Friendl

• edited February 2016

I'm just pointing out that while Tales was great...a lot people haven't played it. Hell, there are people who have said they heard it was great but still refuse to play it. TTG has this opinion of them now that makes some players stay away from them for some reason.

I mentioned the attention because Tales never got that attention. I mean this game originally started coming out in 2014. There was no real build up in between each episode and it never really was "must play" for a lot of people.

Mercyva posted: »

I think it depends on sales, Tales was well received among critics and fans, I cant think of a telltale game that's recent did that. maybe

• True but LIS was also running on a small budget and the limited edition and all that stuff came from the response the game received. Tales just simply hasn't gotten that much attention to warrant a investment in something like a limited edition or collectors edition yet.

I bought up Oxenfree as a example because they had already streamlined a collectors edition a few days after it had released. Who knows how tales did and even if it did well...would people actually feel compelled to buy it again?

This is a completely different situation. Life is Strange was published by one of the world's largest publishers, Square Enix. Unless a

edited February 2016

They're not indie, but they're not a big publisher on the scale of Square Enix either. Telltale is one of the world's most prominent digital publishers, but they're still growing when it comes to publishing physical media.

The collector's editions of Walking Dead Season Two and The Wolf Among Us sold poorly, and that was after Telltale's huge success and growth with The Walking Dead: Season One. It was kind of surprising, considering The Walking Dead: Season Two had sales figures almost as high as The Walking Dead: Season One through digital sales. But, unfortunately, good sales figures through digital sales does not always equate to good sales figures through physical sales.

They could probably make a simple disc release of Tales from the Borderlands on their own at retail and turn a profit, but they have yet to make a profit on a release with the added expense of extra physical goodies when they publish it completely on their own (which is a shame, as I really miss those).

On the other hand, if they were to team up with Gearbox, it could happen (as it did with Skybound, when they supplied the compendium of Walking Dead comics and the cover art for the release of Telltale's collector's edition). There's existing Borderlands merchandise that Gearbox can supply, and they can customize it to make it exclusive for a special edition release (as Skybound did with The Walking Dead: Collector's Edition).

That's the only way I can see this working, without involving a large publisher, though. Without support of their IP partner (Gearbox in this case), they'd still need to find a large publishing partner to make a special edition like this profitable, since as Fazz pointed out below, they don't have the infrastructure to make the physical goodies on this scale on their own.

I'M sorry, I don't think of telltale as ''indie'', they're big now. they have deals with HBO/Marvel etc.. their games sells well, I don't think what you said is relevant now. maybe a couple of years ago, but not now.

edited February 2016

The Walking Dead: Collector's Edition? That was made as a collaboration with Skybound, which is the only way Telltale could handle something like this, with a partner. Unfortunately, as Fazz pointed out below, they don't have the infrastructure to make the physical goodies themselves.

If Telltale were to team up with Gearbox for a Tales from the Borderlands Special Edition, it could happen. I actually hope they do, as I'd definitely buy it if it came out.

I think they will release a limited edition, they did that with the walking dead, I would buy the shit out of that

• I remember the days when the "case files" were assembled by Telltale staff themselves doing OT, but time has passed and lots of things have changed. They became a known name and Telltale grew a lot. You can hardly consider Telltale to be an indie, but it is certainly not big enough to have the marketing backing level of SE or the resources to invest making collector items, given the bad sells that previous boxes turned out to be.

True, Oxenfree had a special edition and Firewatch had the Photograph Printing deal but they did it because it gave them visibility. The gimmick, well, is a thing to be talked about, to get a few press articles and publicity by word of the mouth. First projects from a new company need to do this (and practically throw the kitchen sink in) Telltale does not need to do that anymore, almost anyone in the media has heard of T.H.E.M., they are fairly known company (for good or bad reasons)

LiS is a weird thing, the publishers are huge and CAN afford to thrown money in and while it was not DN's first project, considering the state DN was, SE needed to treat the game as a first release/new company thing. Having SE backing helps a lot to gain loyalty behind DN by releasing this kind of stuff (They are investing in DN future projects). Telltale does not need to heavily invest to get more people behind them, sure it doesn't hurt but they can live without it, so to be blunt: there is no need or priority to invest in Collectors Editions and the money they could spend there is better spent elsewhere.

I think the closest thing to a Collectors Edition that we will ever get is the Physical Disc release. They could easily release a digital Collectors Edition with extra digital goodies, but that consumes time and effort AND probably one or two fans will share the goodies for free (it happens all the time) so, why bother?

If someday they promise to eventually do a Collectors Edition..... I'm still waiting for S&M S3 Soundtrack or the release of the promised Telltale Engine or for them to reissue my paid games pack (that they sort of lost when they changed the website to the new website) and a lot of promises...lost in Time and Space..

I doubt any of that will ever happen, I just don't trust Telltale anymore with their past, current or future promises or intentions, and they are big enough to ignore requests and complaints.

Frankly speaking, I prefer them to improve their games, engine and release schedule rather than to waste time and resources in Collector Editions or related thingamabobs

• Excuse me, they made two limited editions

The Walking Dead: Collector's Edition? That was made as a collaboration with Skybound, which is the only way Telltale could handle something

edited February 2016

What was the other one?

The only other releases they published that I'm aware of were the regular release of The Walking Dead and the Game of the Year Edition (which wasn't a special edition, as described by the first post of this topic, as it only contained a link to download extras on the Telltale website).

Telltale does have the infrastructure to do plain disc releases with digital distribution of extras, but this thread is discussing the idea of a special edition with physical extras. The only release of The Walking Dead with physical goodies (which is what the main post of this thread was talking about) that I'm aware of was the Collector's Edition, which had its physical items supplied by Telltale's IP partner.

Excuse me, they made two limited editions

edited February 2016

Did you e-mail support@telltalegames.com about your games pack purchase? When the site switched over, a lot of people lost the ability to download some of their games, but Telltale was able to reinstate the games for them once they let them know that it was missing from their accounts.

Telltale also recently switched over to a new support system, so if you haven't tried it already, submitting a request through the support system directly might help.

jmm posted: »

I remember the days when the "case files" were assembled by Telltale staff themselves doing OT, but time has passed and lots of things have

• edited February 2016

I disagree with the fact Oxenfree and Firewatch did the those two things for simple exposure. Oxenfree for the most part isn't insanly popular at all and there was little to no hype behind that game. Yet, somehow they was able to release a collectors edition because Skybound put the money behind it before hand. This stuff was planned out way before and was gonna happen no matter the response the game received. The same for Firewatch yet they ran on this massive hype train that has been semi successful and they can continue to build off.

LIS didn't have any real promotion behind it until the late episodes and after all five episodes came out. In fact I would say that a majority of the attention it got came purely from fans who put it out there more. Sure they are backed by Square but just because they are backed by one of the big boys doesn't translate into big numbers. LIS was able to become something that quite frankly most people thought it wouldn't or shouldn't.

The fact that LIS was so massive in 2015 made what TTG was putting out...not so relevant as most players were focused on LIS. I still played both games when they first released up until the last episode. Though, most didn't even bother with Tales which is sad because I do want a season two. Though, from TTG history who knows if we will even get a hint of that happening.

I remember the days when the "case files" were assembled by Telltale staff themselves doing OT, but time has passed and lots of things have

• There is some awesome fan-made merchandise in the internet. I ordered a pretty sweet "Zer0 Sum" poster on redbubble.com! Now tales is decorating my wall next to some game of thrones posters :D Try google for some cool stuff :)

I think it depends on sales, Tales was well received among critics and fans, I cant think of a telltale game that's recent did that. maybe

• Are you referring to how I previously mentioned the Back to the Future 30th Anniversary Edition? That was not a limited edition, nor did it have any extra physical goods.

Excuse me, they made two limited editions

• what? I never heard of TWD having a collectors edition :/ oh well.....

The Walking Dead: Collector's Edition? That was made as a collaboration with Skybound, which is the only way Telltale could handle something

• to be honest I'm kinda mad that oxenfree devs did not announce that there will be a collectors edition. I would have preferred to buy that instead of a pc copy. but I really enjoyed oxenfree, as far as firewatch I did not like it as much, the ending and the main plot fell flat for me, I wish they explored more with Delilah and henry or maybe give the mystery more thought, I wish devs announce any CE or LE stuff before we an buy their games :(

I disagree with the fact Oxenfree and Firewatch did the those two things for simple exposure. Oxenfree for the most part isn't insanly popul

• edited February 2016

we can agree to disagree, though I agree with the gearbox thing.. plus we don't need an unlimited supply where they MUST have them all sold out, they can at least make 100 or 50 as a limited edition copy of tales, or maybe less? that way they can assure that they will sell. plus borderlands fans will make that go away in a matter of hours! borderlands as a franchise not just tales have A LOT of dedicated fans, they buy a 400+$ statue or a handsome collection limited edition! plus gearbox knows how to market their stuff, I think telltale will never go wrong. PLUS we don't need fancy stuff, unless here are like only 10/20 pieces of the limited edition to be sold, they may as well sell it like LIS did, they did NOT add that much of stuff but I think it was reasonable as a fan and also the ccontent of the game to buy it again. it would be just a fan service, and I don't think it will happen :( I need to get over it and watch out/save for when bioware announce MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA CE , now that I will buy! :)

They're not indie, but they're not a big publisher on the scale of Square Enix either. Telltale is one of the world's most prominent digita

• The collector's edition with the compendium

Are you referring to how I previously mentioned the Back to the Future 30th Anniversary Edition? That was not a limited edition, nor did it have any extra physical goods.

edited March 2016

That's the same one that I linked to above. That's the only collector's edition that Telltale made for The Walking Dead, as far as I'm aware (as I alluded to before, the Compendium was supplied by Skybound, Telltale's IP partner, which was the only way that something of this scale was possible with Telltale's current infrastructure).

The collector's edition with the compendium

edited March 2016

The problem with limited release special editions is that the price has to be higher, as the price to manufacture items decreases when items are purchased in bulk.

We'd probably be looking at a $60+ special edition with simple items, in order for it to be profitable, if Telltale were to make a short run themselves, and I'm not exactly sure that the market would support something like that without a lot of fan backlash (there was already a lot of fan backlash for the thin cloth map included in the Tales of Monkey Island deluxe edition, and the price for that was lower as Telltale made a gamble with purchasing a larger quantity (which didn't pay off for them, as I mentioned above - since they had to liquefy all of their stock due to their items not selling)... I can't imagine what the fan backlash would be for the quality of the items that would have to be made vs. the price that it would have to sell at for it to be profitable for Telltale now that their fanbase is larger, and they're more in the public eye).

They could go for better quality merchandise, but then we'd be looking at a $100+ special edition for a small run, and I'm not really sure that there is the demand for that. A statue is one thing, but the fans would actually have to buy the game again to get this, and at that price I'm not really sure that it's something that there would be a demand for in order for Telltale to sell all of their stock and get their money back.

I'd really love for a special edition to be made, but if you look at it from a business perspective, given Telltale's history with their special editions not selling, the fan backlash when they try to make a special edition that is cheap enough for them to be able to sell at a profit without making the price too high for demand, it's kind of a tough sell situation, unfortunately.

It's situations like this where I wish my company was big enough to secure a license to make a deal to make something like this myself. I'd make a special edition of this, a Sam & Max season three soundtrack and case file, and a Wolf Among Us special edition with a Sam & Max style case file in a heartbeat!

It's all just fan dreams at the moment - unless someone wants to collaborate on something like the Telltale Deck 'o Cards project for fan "feelies" for this game or any of Telltale's other games - I'd join in on that project!

we can agree to disagree, though I agree with the gearbox thing.. plus we don't need an unlimited supply where they MUST have them all sold

• They used to release special editions really all the time.

That's the same one that I linked to above. That's the only collector's edition that Telltale made for The Walking Dead, as far as I'm awar

• Ahh sorry that happened to you!

• edited March 2016

If they release a Limited Editon, it better be like the ClapTrap-in-a-Box edition of the Handsome Collection.

I WANT A REMOTE CONTROL GORTYS! It'd be like the Remote Control ClapTap and BB-8

• for a limited edition i usually prefer figures of characters or physical items over a book maybe a hologram jack figure or gortys

• I'm pretty sure the physical copies are releasing soon so hopefully they could decide to bundle them with exclusive merchandise or something

• That would be awesome, I don't usually care about figures.. but I want unique and not lazy stuff. whatever that means

for a limited edition i usually prefer figures of characters or physical items over a book maybe a hologram jack figure or gortys

• I hope so too, but I don't think so

Gameserer posted: »

I'm pretty sure the physical copies are releasing soon so hopefully they could decide to bundle them with exclusive merchandise or something

• ahhhh now that's what I want!! :)

If they release a Limited Editon, it better be like the ClapTrap-in-a-Box edition of the Handsome Collection. I WANT A REMOTE CONTROL GORTYS! It'd be like the Remote Control ClapTap and BB-8

edited March 2016

Not for The Walking Dead they didn't. They released one special edition - the one with the compendium, which was supplied by their partner, Skybound.

Telltale did used to release special editions for their games before The Walking Dead, but they were much smaller then, so they used to assemble them by hand themselves during their spare time. They also didn't sell well, though, so eventually Telltale had a 70-90% off sale to liquidate all of their remaining stock.

They tried to go back to collector's editions with their new fan-base, but those sold poorly, and we were given a plain disc release with a digital signature, instead of the discs packed with extras that we got in the past, and Telltale has yet to try the collector's disc format again.

Telltale is too big now to make handmade collectors editions like in the past, but still too small to be able to have the items made by an outside company in bulk in a large enough amount to make them profitable.

The Walking Dead compendium style special edition is likely the only one we'll see with modern Telltale, as it was supplied by their IP partner. They've only ever done something like that once though (and didn't repeat it even for The Walking Dead Season Two), so, while it's possible, it's not very likely.

They used to release special editions really all the time.

• A shame really, I know their IP'S are licensed , but I feel if they care enough to release a physical copy of any game, at least include something unique with it. it took almost a year for TFTBL to be complete, most people already have it digitally! I don't get it. it feels like a check mark and done with it.

Not for The Walking Dead they didn't. They released one special edition - the one with the compendium, which was supplied by their partner,

Sign in to comment in this discussion.