This retrospective of the Batman Arkham series brings up an important point about Telltale's Batman

Most of this video is about the Batman Arkham games. The reviewer only talks about Telltale's Batman at the end:

An important point he brings up is that Batman and Bruce Wayne aren't very diverse characters. They have pretty fixed personalities. This will present a challenge to Telltale because usually there games are built (or at least advertised) on characters making diverse decisions. I mean some of the most difficult decisions in The Walking Dead was whether to save, leave or kill a character. However we all know that it wouldn't really make sense for Batman to not try to save someone.

The reviewer sad that he hoped that Telltale would focus more on the mystery rather than character relationships. I think that would be an interesting way of addressing the issue. If the mystery was like L.A. Noire then it can have a branching path with several different outcomes. I think that would make more sense then for Telltale to write a diverse Batman/Bruce Wayne which are capable of making wildly different decisions. That'll feel more out of character than what they did with the sentinels in Game of Thrones

Comments

• edited March 2016

Very interesting points made there. Given the small amount of info we do have on the Telltale Batman game I would interpret that they are going for a younger Batman - well at least middle aged and definitely not a Dark Knight Returns Batman. Anyway yeah he has already been Batman for a few years so it isn't quite Year One esque so Batman has established his moral code etc.

In the recent SXSW panel they did mention they are focusing on Bruce Wayne a bit more and that certain opportunities arise in which the player can either choose to approach said opportunity as either Batman or Bruce Wayne. They also mentioned the different versions of Batman they were looking at to take inspiration from but I won't get in to that as they mentioned a lot (mainly the ones most people are aware of).

I can't imagine Telltale would focus too much on the character relationships but instead have it be like the Wolf Among Us where you are thrown in to a world where there are already pre existing relationships that you later figure out. If you approach situations as either Batman or Bruce Wayne that definitely gives me the notion they are going to be focusing on detective elements (which I am definitely hoping they do).

For it to work I think it needs to be in the similar style of the Wolf Among Us like I said and basically none of the other Telltale games. Like you said with the mystery I think the plot should be relatively vague which might make it opportune to have a twist ending.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.