what games are you playing?

Comments

• Oxenfree 2 is actually available on mobile to download through the Netflix app already, for no extra cost to it. Wild.
    Though I guess makes sense since they literally own all of it.

Night School is now branded as a "Netflix Game Studio" as well.
    I wish the best for them going forward, because I can easily see this Netflix Games service not panning out long-term.

• edited July 2023

Playing a whole bunch of games mostly PUBG Mobile : Dragonball Super event , Goddess Of Victory : Nikke and Arena Blackout Mobile .

But as for Goddess Of Victory Nikke the opening song is catchy.

Edit : Forgot to mention I’m playing Oxenfree 2 : Lost signals right now .

• Ok just finished playing OxenFree 2 : Lodt signals and I gotta say it was intense .

Learning about Riley back story was interesting and learning how she came from a rough life and follow by her having a kid Rex was >! also interesting but not as interesting as seeing Alex again I cheered when I saw her make a reappearance .

But at the end I made the choice on letting Olivia be with her parents it just felt right at the end .

• Just finished Stray before it gets removed off the PS Plus Extra Catalog tomorrow.

It was a very solid indie title.

They had great graphics, a really cool post-apocalyptic, grungy style for the world and the robots living in it. The animation work and platforming gameplay for the Cat was really nice.

The worldbuilding was mysterious and cool to discover and I really enjoyed completing all the sidequests and finding all the info tidbits.

• Finished Oxenfree 2!

I'm probably going to have to play it again soon-ish to get the full picture of how its choice system works, but I can still give some thoughts right now.

It was a very ambitious sequel with a wider scope for its ghostly, time-loopy, supernatural adventure.

The music was heavy on the synth and had some really booming tracks. Re-listening to the soundtrack, I recognize a few of them but can't quite place them to specific scenes though.. might just need more replays for that.

The dialogue between Riley and Jacob, the duo on the adventure was really great. Jacob being a huge nostalgic for Camena and Riley usually resentful or always wanting to leave the town (or at least how I played her).

The walkie talkie provided a few good side-stories that could be interacted with and I really liked being able to resolve them by story's end.

The main story itself had some high stakes and great mysteries to uncover about the town, the time-warps you're taken to, and the little cult desperate to tap into otherworldly forces... I liked where it went and there was enough moments of clear choice that I'd go back and replay it again.
    The choices screen at the end covers a lot more optional content than the first game did.

Light ending choice spoilers

I don't totally like how the ending has one very clear, low-risk choice involved. It's evident this is the case since a huge majority of players who reached the ending ended up choosing it. I didn’t really feel conflicted at all either while doing it, since the character's motivations lined up with it easily by the end, they were even asking to do it...
    Idk, maybe that's a weird complaint, but with the way the climax unfolded I felt very little conflict and I kinda wanted/expected to

• edited July 2023

Finished playing Oxenfree 2 and I thought it was great. I always liked the grumpy and the funny characters getting along trope so of course I ended up really liking Riley and Jacob. The story shares very similar themes to the original game

Finished playing Oxenfree 2 and I thought it was great follow-up to the original game! The two games share some very similar themes and character traits, while being a coming of age story about being an adult. I found it hard not to relate to Riley and Jacob's problems of feeling like they're just floundering around, unsure of whether or not they're capable of being more than they are or being scared of even trying. There are also some pretty fun/interesting characters you get to interact with along the way via radio like Nick the sailor, Shelley the park ranger, and Hank the conspiracy theorist (and there's Maria the school radio host, who I missed because I didn't stumble upon her radio channel).

Gameplay-wise it's pretty much exactly the same as the first game, except that it's one big open map that you can explore once you've got the right tools, and as you progress the story Riley writes some notes, including mission objectives, and draws little doodles on the map as landmarks. It's a cool change, but it does lead to some heavy backtracking at times, especially if you want to find and see as much as you can, or at least they should have given players the ability to run to help make backtracking feel less menial.

The story feels like a solid bookend to Oxenfree as a series. If there isn't a third game, I'd feel satisfied knowing that the most important loose ends are tied up, though that's not to say there could be some things worth exploring in the future, be it in another sequel, or even a prequel.

BIG MASSIVE SPOILERS

• I was completely shocked when it turned out to be Alex and the gang that was behind the initial hauntings. That was pretty nuts, especially when Jacob himself talks about how it could be the crew of the USS Kanaloa behind everything literally right before the reveal.
    • I honestly thought they were freed after the NG+ ending from the original game, but I guess it makes sense that it was just a different version of Alex that manages to avoid the same fate.
    • We also get to meet Maggie Adler, who is all kinds of fucked up and trapped in a loop of her own. I could see Night School potentially making a prequel based on her. We know a lot about her through osmosis, but I think it'd be neat to fully go into everything she faced.
    • I find it kind of funny but also tragic that the Kanaloa ghosts are just far too hostile to ever interact with peacefully, that the only way to deal with them in this is to just kick them back to Edwards Island. So they're just trapped there for all eternity, though if I remember right I think it's implied that they would eventually be absorbed into the radio waves and lose what little control they have, or just dissipate entirely.
    • I ended up choosing Olivia as the sacrifice, but I felt really bad for her. She's effectively dead, stuck in a look forever, but I guess she seems happy considering that little voice clip that plays when you're looking through the box at the end of the game.
    • I do agree that picking Olivia felt like the easiest choice. I honestly thought that Jacob would say something about wanting to do it, but he kept mostly silent throughout the whole ordeal. I guess while he does want to make something of himself and do something grand, he'd also like to be alive to experience it lol.
    • I feel like there's some noticeable cut content, like the area below Jacob's house with the shed. On the map it shows that the wall is climbable, but it definitely isn't when you try and go down it. You can spot some of Jacob's sculptures below as well. Maybe a new game plus patch might make the area walkable?
  • edited July 2023

Spoiler discussing

I was completely shocked when it turned out to be Alex and the gang that was behind the initial hauntings.

Same here. It went from "This is a neat spin on the lore of the original Oxenfree for the sequel" with all the references to Maggie Adler and obviously the Kanaloa crew once again unleashed --- then that twist happened and it became an amazing companion piece/wrap-up to the terrible fate of the group from Ox1... Stuck, looped forever by the ghosts, probably ending up trapped in their radio hell after enough times.

We also get to meet Maggie Adler, who is all kinds of fucked up and trapped in a loop of her own. I could see Night School potentially making a prequel based on her.

I hadn't considered how they could ever continue the IP after this, but OH MAN now I really want this. Having one final wrap-up with Maggie escaping her encounter with the ghosts, making up with Anna hopefully, and putting the ghosts of the Kanaloa to rest would be an AMAZING ENDING.
    This game's plot was expansive and super complex with its branching futures and echoes of the past plot, so I hope there's enough they came up with that Night School would consider another sequel following that line. It would work really well IMO

• The high school radio host thing you mention is interesting -- I discovered and went through that side-plot throughout the game -- but I randomly stumbled upon it while scrolling the Walkie once. I assume the host must mention "Call my channel on 6!" at one point, but I don't ever remember hearing that, so I'm glad my game must have gotten ahead of me on that, or I might've missed the initiation...

I honestly thought that Jacob would say something about wanting to do it, but he kept mostly silent throughout the whole ordeal.

Yeah, that was pretty weird to me. I'd probably have more thoughts about picking him if they'd given him dialogue about "wanting to have a greater purpose" but he just had that 15 minutes earlier about his dog, and continuing to live after he gets back home. I was VERY confused why he was offered up as a choice at all...
    EDIT: I just read that it seems you need to not become friends with Jacob otherwise he won't suggest going in, or even accept being chosen at all. Huh. Worth a future, specific "asshole Riley" playthrough..

I feel like there's some noticeable cut content, like the area below Jacob's house with the shed. On the map it shows that the wall is climbable, but it definitely isn't when you try and go down it. You can spot some of Jacob's sculptures below as well. Maybe a new game plus patch might make the area walkable?

Did you get all the Adler letters? I'm not totally sure what you're talking about with the fake path, but there IS a small building below the house that usually has nothing important about it -- until you find all 12 Adler Letters, and the 13th appears in front of that little shed.
    Maybe you're talking about something else than that, but it could also be a bug -- I came across a few small ones in my playthrough -- overlapping dialogue twice, and also 3 times where Walkie Talkie audio didn't have a filter on, and sounded like the person was standing right next to Riley (and no, it wasn't a creepy ghost sequence XD)
    EDIT: Never mind, I saw this, I can't believe I didn't notice that before. Weird.

lupinb0y posted: »

Finished playing Oxenfree 2 and I thought it was great. I always liked the grumpy and the funny characters getting along trope so of course

• Batman The Telltale Series (a game full of errors and bugs).

• edited July 2023

Same here. It went from "This is a neat spin on the lore of the original Oxenfree for the sequel" with all the references to Maggie Adler and obviously the Kanaloa crew once again unleashed --- then that twist happened and it became an amazing companion piece/wrap-up to the terrible fate of the group from Ox1... Stuck, looped forever by the ghosts, probably ending up trapped in their radio hell after enough times.

It's been a while since I've played the original, but apparently the ghosts make a deal with Alex that only she would be trapped in the loop. But I guess this can be easily explained as the ghosts going, "lol jk," which feels in character.

I hadn't considered how they could ever continue the IP after this, but OH MAN now I really want this. Having one final wrap-up with Maggie escaping her encounter with the ghosts, making up with Anna hopefully, and putting the ghosts of the Kanaloa to rest would be an AMAZING ENDING.

Yeah it's the only realistic conclusion I could think of for Oxenfree. Just go back to where it all started and live through some of the things you'd only read in notes, and let Maggie finally put an end to beings that ruined her life from beyond the grave. Plus since Alex and Riley's stories are complete, it could easily act as a standalone story that makes some references here and there to past events.

I just read that it seems you need to not become friends with Jacob otherwise he won't suggest going in, or even accept being chosen at all. Huh. Worth a future, specific "asshole Riley" playthrough..

Ah I guess that makes sense. If you're friendly with him you help give him to reason to keep trucking on, but if you're an ass he can feel like he's done something with his life... which kind of feels like pressuring someone into suicide now that I think about it.

Did you get all the Adler letters? I'm not totally sure what you're talking about with the fake path, but there IS a small building below the house that usually has nothing important about it -- until you find all 12 Adler Letters, and the 13th appears in front of that little shed.

I didn't manage to find all the letters but that's pretty neat. What does the final letter say?

AChicken posted: »

Spoiler discussing (Spoiler)

• Baldur's Gate 3 has taken over my life

• I replayed The Evil Within twice now

I feel no shame in admitting when I am wrong. When I played this game for the first time last year, I thought it was the most excruciating horror game I have ever played in my life. Until I played The Callisto Protocol which was WORSE in every possible way. Because of that soulless product, I figured it was time for me to give Evil Within a second chance because at least that game had a variety of enemies, combat and bosses.

I finished the game for the third time just now and I am positive to say that I had a blast with it. I think I had a better experience due to my upgraded weapons and stats. Some of my complaints still stand but overall, I was wrong to say this game was actually mediocre and broken. The Evil Within is a very good game and now I want to replay the sequel as well.

• It's on my list to hopefully play-when-im-in-the-spooky-mood. It's good to hear you, a kind of horror veteran, really liked it!

AronDracula posted: »

I replayed The Evil Within twice now I feel no shame in admitting when I am wrong. When I played this game for the first time last year,

• edited August 2023

I suggest you go in expecting some harsh elements thrown at you. For example, the gun accuracy can be extremely hard to handle. Also, there are so many occassions where you can get killed instantly.

AChicken posted: »

It's on my list to hopefully play-when-im-in-the-spooky-mood. It's good to hear you, a kind of horror veteran, really liked it!

• edited August 2023

It's not uncommon for opinions about games to change when you play them again, especially after some time has passed and you've become more familiar with the mechanics and gameplay. Both The Evil Within and its sequel are unique horror games with their own merits and problems. And it's also fun to go to https://betwinner-bd.com/ to have fun, and then proceed to play other games again. If you enjoyed The Evil Within and are considering replaying its sequel, you may find it a nice continuation of the story and gameplay elements. Remember that personal preferences and experiences in the world of gaming can vary greatly, and what one person likes may differ from another person's point of view. Happy gaming!

• So let me ask you.

I've had Baldur's Gate 3 on my radar, and I've heard nothing but positive things about it. I've never played the original games made by BioWare, but I've also heard good things about them and had them on my wishlist for when I get a PC at the end of the year. With that in mind, do I need to have played the first two to appreciate/understand 3, or can it be done as a standalone?

Baldur's Gate 3 has taken over my life

• As far as I'm aware, BG3 makes some references to the previous games but overall can be played completely standalone. I've never played any of the games before and I'm really loving it so far.

So let me ask you. I've had Baldur's Gate 3 on my radar, and I've heard nothing but positive things about it. I've never played the origi

• Then I might have to consider it, but I still have to do Expanse episode 1 and Oxenfree 2 before I'll even think about it.

As far as I'm aware, BG3 makes some references to the previous games but overall can be played completely standalone. I've never played any of the games before and I'm really loving it so far.

• Is Baldur's Gate 3 the Witcher 3 of this generation?

Because just like Witcher, I never heard about Baldur's Gate until now due to its extremely positive reception. I just wanna know if the gameplay is actually good and polished. Because I personally couldn't continue Witcher 3 due to its horrible combat.

• I replayed The Evil Within 2 as well.

I honestly didn't love this game. Despite the improvement gameplay quality, I just didn't find myself enjoying it as much as I did with the first game. This is because the game went with such a safe route for the story and lore and it fixed a lot of things that I didn't ask for. I never asked for an open world setting and the atmosphere got extremely downgraded.

• Playing PUBG : Mobile’s Dragon Ball super event which is cool but what tencent doesn’t understand about Dragonball it’s not all about Ki blasts because I can’t punch or kick my opponents which is lazy for a battle Royale honestly.

Second I’m playing Arena Breakout which is better then PUBG , has more guns and if you get shoot you start go looses blood and limp and you can eat food and heal with other meds besides first aid or pain killers .

What Arena really should add are Bayonets so I can charge at the injured player as finishing blow or sneak up.

• I finished Dead Space 3 for the very first time.

I didn't like it. The first half of the game is very good, feels like classic Dead Space. But once you reach the planet, the story gets much worse and the game gets more repetitive. I thought I was gonna like the game for what it was, considering that I actually enjoyed Resident Evil 6, despite not being a horror game. Playing through the last chapters of Dead Space 3 felt like a complete chore. It was better than Callisto Protocol but it doesn't say much cause both games are aggressively mediocre. I don't think I am gonna bother with the DLC.

Dead Space 1 and 2 are the only ones that matter. Dead Space 3 didn't justify its own existence.

• edited August 2023

These last few years, I’ve been really into Wadjet Eye Games, which makes 2d pixel point-and-click adventure games, and I'm just replaying ones I started with before I try playing the new ones I bought. I stink at puzzles, but I really like the stories, and I think the art and soundtracks are pretty great.

The Blackwell Series was my first experience, where you play as a woman who inherits a ghost from her aunt who recently died (not the auntie's ghost, but the ghost of a guy who acts as her spirit guide), and the game is her learning more about her family history while solving ghost mysteries. I replayed through the entire thing earlier this month, and I really enjoyed it. (It’s similar to a Telltale game where it’s split into 5 chapters, but the dialogue choices don’t really branch out in any serious way.) There are a few snags with the writing, playing through the start of episode 1 is kind of a slog, and some of the voice acting sounds really silly, but I have a real soft spot for it.

Next up is Unavowed (more of a fantasy type of game), which I think is pretty good and it's one of my favorites, so far. While it’s not a direct sequel to the Blackwell Series, it does take place in the same universe and has the same objective of following strange leads and solving mysteries, but this time, you work on a team with other people, and you can take two with you for each mission.

It also offers much more variety in the choices you can make throughout the story, as you’re able to create your own character--male or female--and choose from three different backgrounds: bartender, actor or cop. Each one comes with its own set of skills and an advantage in that you'll have a deeper relationship with certain characters, so you can play the game and solve cases in quite a few different ways. It’s a lot of fun, in my opinion, and I'm looking forward to playing it again.

• edited September 2023

B̸̤̜͓̹͖̥̥̙͌͑̉͑̈̒͜ ̸͎̑̑́̐͗̑̾Ạ̸̯̥́̃̏̈͌́̍̾͑̐̕̕͠ ̸̡͈͙̹̰̗̱̿͐̐̌̅̏͋͜L̸͕̀̈̉̆̆͊̽̂͂̆̂͗͂͘ ̷̨̖̖͉͔̦͉̩̙̻̣̳͉͒̾̽̔̌̀͒̃̋̊̇̒̔͘D̸̝̙̘̗̻̙̪͉͔̀͗͂̊͋̽̽͌͑ ̸̢̻͓̩̠̠͎͕̺̫͆̋̈̿͋͛͂͒̐̿U̶̧̡̥̙̣͇͖̰͍̖͑́̄̍̀͒̀͑͐ ̸̧̣͎̣̇́͠Ṙ̸̺̜̥̲͖͙͎͕̣̝̇́̐̏̋̀͛ͅ ̷͖̟̜̜̊̆'̶̨̢̻̼͈͓͆̃̀̍̄̎̊̋̓͊͘͝ͅ ̵̛̣̩̭̰͒͐̊̃̍̓̒͑̋̒͑̕Ş̷̣̰̟̼͈̯̥͎̘͉̙͋̌̊̃͗̑̋ͅ ̵̥͛̓̆̾̈́̓̓͊̌̈̃G̸̹͚̹̫̥̮̲̭̻̻͍̟̔̐̃̐ ̴̢̢̧̨̢̤͙̖̦̼͚͚̯͉͗̅͗̈́̽̋͝A̵̡̺̤̋̌̒̓̔̚ ̸̢̯̰̝͓̬̪̳̘͓̈̂͊̊̃͘͜͜͠T̴̨͎͕̱͍̳̙̯͈̈̉͝ ̷̝̈́͛̀̂̆̅͋E̷̫͈̲̭̻̙̦̙̩̥̤̹͆͝ ̶̧̳̘̲̮̟͙̙͚̫̏͠3̸̧̨̝͙͍͎̙̠̙̜͉̣̲̗͛̄̓̀͒́̉͘͘͝ͅ

I haven't been this obsessed with a game in a long while.

Save me.

• edited September 2023

Wadjet Eye Games are indeed pretty cool. I never really cared about graphics so the pixel style doesn't bother and the stories are usually pretty good. Plus they are one of the few games that I can run even on my shitty laptop, hehe.

And yeah, Unavowed is probably my favourite as well. Being able to slightly infuence the narrative by taking different team members to missions and making certain choices was certainly a step in the right direction.

I just wish the amount of companions you had during the final confrontation had resulted in different endings or something. The setup of losing a team member or getting help from someone else by making "correct" choices throughout the game was pretty interesting, shame it didn't matter at all in the end. Kinda disappointing...

Puzzles got a bit too simple compared to other Wadjet Eye Games, but I think the story made up for it. Had a great time with it.

I'm playing through Shardlight at the moment, but honestly I'm not really enjoying it that much. (even put it off for a few weeks) The post-apocalyptic setting is a bit too generic and the story isn't doing it for me. There haven't been any interesting twists or turns like usual. To be fair, I'm like 80% in the game, so maybe they're saving some insane reveal for the end that will retroactively make the story better, but I kinda doubt it.

From the ones you haven't listed, I'd recommend Technobabylon (the first Wadjet Eye game I played) and Gemini Rue. Primordia is also pretty cool.

Machan posted: »

These last few years, I’ve been really into Wadjet Eye Games, which makes 2d pixel point-and-click adventure games, and I'm just replaying o

• edited September 2023

Bruh, seeing everyone enjoy Baldur's Gate 3 makes me feel like Squidward from this meme, because my PC can't run it.

B̸̤̜͓̹͖̥̥̙͌͑̉͑̈̒͜ ̸͎̑̑́̐͗̑̾Ạ̸̯̥́̃̏̈͌́̍̾͑̐̕̕͠ ̸̡͈͙̹̰̗̱̿͐̐̌̅̏͋͜L̸͕̀̈̉̆̆͊̽̂͂̆̂͗͂͘ ̷̨̖̖͉͔̦͉̩̙̻̣̳͉͒̾̽̔̌̀͒̃̋̊̇̒̔͘D̸̝̙̘̗̻̙̪͉͔̀͗͂̊͋̽̽͌͑ ̸͆̋̈̿͋͛͂͒̐̿

• I played The Order 1886.

I honestly liked the game. Bad game, my ass. This game was worth 10$.

• I'm lucky enough that it at least runs at 30fps for me, but I can feel my system going on maximum overdrive in certain areas of the game because of how dense it can be at some points.

Pipas posted: »

Bruh, seeing everyone enjoy Baldur's Gate 3 makes me feel like Squidward from this meme, because my PC can't run it.

• I KEEP wanting to buy this game at the 10$ it keeps falling to...

Yet I KEEP stopping myself, because obviously it'll come for free to PS Plus any day now... aaaany day now... any day...

B̸̤̜͓̹͖̥̥̙͌͑̉͑̈̒͜ ̸͎̑̑́̐͗̑̾Ạ̸̯̥́̃̏̈͌́̍̾͑̐̕̕͠ ̸̡͈͙̹̰̗̱̿͐̐̌̅̏͋͜L̸͕̀̈̉̆̆͊̽̂͂̆̂͗͂͘ ̷̨̖̖͉͔̦͉̩̙̻̣̳͉͒̾̽̔̌̀͒̃̋̊̇̒̔͘D̸̝̙̘̗̻̙̪͉͔̀͗͂̊͋̽̽͌͑ ̸̢̻͓̩̠̠͎͕̺̫͆̋̈̿͋͛͂͒̐̿U̶̧̡̥̙̣͇͖̰͍̖͑́̄̍̀͒̀͑͐ ̸̧̣͎̣̇́͠Ṙ̸̺̜̥̲͖͙͎͕̣̝̇́̐̏̋̀͛ͅ ̷͖̟̜̜̊̆'̶̨̢̻̼͈͓͆̃̀̍̄̎̊̋̓͊͘͝ͅ ̵̛̣̩̭̰͒͐̊̃̍̓̒͑̋̒͑̕Ş̷̣̰̟̼͈̯̥͎̘͉̙͋̌̊̃͗̑̋ͅ ̵̥͛̓̆̾̈́̓̓͊̌̈̃G̸̹͚̹̫̥̮̲̭̻̻͍̟̔̐̃̐ ̴̢̢̧̨̢̤͙̖̦̼͚͚̯͉͗̅͗̈́̽̋͝A̵̡̺̤̋̌̒̓̔̚ ̸̢̯̰̝͓̬̪̳̘͓̈̂͊̊̃͘͜͜͠T̴̨͎͕̱͍̳̙̯͈̈̉͝ ̷̝̈́͛̀̂̆̅͋E̷̫͈̲̭̻̙̦̙̩̥̤̹͆͝ ̶̧̳̘̲̮̟͙̙͚̫̏͠3̸̧̨̝͙͍͎̙̠̙̜͉̣̲̗͛̄̓̀͒́̉͘͘͝ͅ

I'm not into stat-based, point-and-click RPGs, but my manager is really into D&D so he's also into this game -- he explained to me what it's all about, and I'm pretty sold!
    Not sold to buy this on console for 90$+ once it's out, but I'll get it some day!

Sounds like the devs put in A LOT of work with the amount of choices and quests you can undertake with various classes and skills...

I played The Order 1886. I honestly liked the game. Bad game, my ass. This game was worth 10$.

• We have the same ones! :smiley: I think Technobabylon was the second game I played and that's another fave of mine. I haven’t started Gemini Rue, but Primordia seems pretty promising, from what I’ve played so far.

I really gotta pick up Shardlight again. I got stuck on the chalk puzzle and after a while I just forgot about it lol

Pipas posted: »

Wadjet Eye Games are indeed pretty cool. I never really cared about graphics so the pixel style doesn't bother and the stories are usually p

• edited September 2023

In preparation for Alone in the Dark remake (which fairly got delayed in Janurary 2024), I played the very first entry of this franchise, which came out in 1992.

This is the game that gave birth to the Survival Horror in the first place. Yes, this is the grandfather of this genre, not Resident Evil or Silent Hill. This game isn't even that long to beat. It takes less than an hour to complete depending on your playstyle. Now that I finished it, what do I think about it?

It is pretty much what I expected: a very dated game with dated controls and not a very deep storyline. But considering that it came out 1992, it is very impressive. I wouldn't doubt that this game was soo scary for a lot of people in that period cause the atmosphere is sooo good. Alone in the Dark is a game that I respect more than I enjoy. This is the one where Resident Evil took the inspirations, namely:

• Pre-rendered backgrounds
    • Inventory management
    • Puzzles
    • Fixed camera

Alone in the Dark isn't necessarily a game that I would back and replay so many times but it was definitely important for me to experience it at least once as a Survival Horror fanatic.

• I beat Baldur's Gate 3.

• Recently started God of War 2018. Defeated the Stranger and making my way through the mountain path.

(Actually, I’ve played some of this before, about 3 years ago – the opening section up until you get to the big lake and are set free to explore some more, then I guess I kinda bounced off that and found a different game to play at the time and never came back to it…)

Anyway, there’s not much I recall all that much about the opening so far. Definitely didn’t feel this long the first time, but I’m having fun exploring off the beaten path a lot.

Combat is punchy and simple to pick up, the dialogue is pretty good (though Atreus acting like an angsty teen is surprising me, he’ll grow on me or character will improve… “so… we’re going towards the creepy singing?” oh-god-not-a-self-aware-joke)
    And the world building feels natural in an environment sense and nicely fantasy-like in a Norse/God-like sense. Runes everywhere, lots of old weapons from long-dead warriors laid about…
    The voice actors are great at what they do though. Kratos is eloquent and short with his lines. Atreus is more curious and asks a lot of questions about the world.

There’s a few issues that have popped up for me so far, some to get used to and some that is unfortunately baked into the game?

The combat is going to take a while to get used to. Anything more than 2 enemies is tough, especially if they’re special enemies that can’t be stunned easily. I’m dying quite a bit on normal.
    Attacks from behind are hard to keep track of, and I have a hard time figuring out whether it’s best to use Axe for damage or Fists for that sweet grab finisher.

The environments and graphics quality looks good, but there’s something about the textures in this game that looks a little off. Everything looks too “rough” as best I can put it? Like what’s supposed to look like beautiful snowy nature just looks too gritty in a sense… I find it strange.

Ooh, also, the objectives UI is annoying me. I don’t need to be told “escape the ruins” or “follow the mountain path” or “hunt with Atreus”.
    I can pick up on dialogue cues and what the story is telling me already thank you! And there doesn’t seem to be any setting to turn those off. Lots of combat-related UI, but not game notification ones… (It's especially annoying after a lengthy, immersive cinematic, only to be interrupted once it's done by a WHOOSH and text telling me exactly what the characters just said to do...)
    For such a cinematic game, it feels weird to have this feature. Also the RPG elements are a little daunting so far, but I hope with more I unlock the more I’ll get better at combat.

• played through dead space 2 for the first time last week! that there is a good dang ol bideo grame!

• I resumed my mood for Elden Ring and now I'm trying to beat every single boss in my campaign in preparation for the DLC which will probably be next year.

This game has a ton of bosses. What is even the total number? I think I beat all the dungeon bosses but there are still some that are easily to miss through the world of Elden Ring.

• SPIDERMAN2 next month!!!!!!!!

• edited September 2023

non-story gameplay spoilers for elden ring for those who tread carefully

iirc i think there's about 71 bosses in the world? one for every dungeon, 1-3 for every legacy dungeon, and then the dragons, night cavalries, gargoyles, boat men, etc. i actually did a platinum trophy run of the game this year and some of them were super hard to find without guides, and not just the super bosses either, i spent like 2 hours looking for lansseax and not only did i find him completely by accident but the actual fight took like 2 minutes. crazy game. maybe not my favorite souls game but probably top 3.

I resumed my mood for Elden Ring and now I'm trying to beat every single boss in my campaign in preparation for the DLC which will probably

• iirc i think there's about 71 bosses in the world?

Not even close. There is like 165, including the dungeon and evergoal ones. There is even some roaming around in random places, like Lanseseax as you mentioned. I managed to beat every boss in Caelid, Limgrave and Haligtree. Now I'm trying to make sure I cleared Liurna of the Lakes and Atlus Plateau as well. I wish there was a count number of bosses on my UI so I wouldn't have to waste time looking through dungeons to check if I beat those bosses.

non-story gameplay spoilers for elden ring for those who tread carefully (Spoiler)

• God of War is the first game I've seen where you can die while fast travelling lmao

(This was my first time trying it out too, I totally missed the huge glowing door to the left of the path. I had no idea "Straying from the path" - was an option!)

• damn!! i knew there were a lot but i had no idea it was THAT many. makes me second guess my platinum playthrough, i wonder if i actually did get every boss or just the big ones 😭

(Spoiler)

• Played and easy Dead by daylight : Mobile match today.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.