Is batman a superhero?

He doesn't have any powers, I've always thought of him as a cosplayer. What does it even mean to be a superhero?

Comments

• edited May 2016

No he's a vigilante.

Edit: definition of superhero is someone with super human powers, someone like superman, a real damn hero.

• He's a superhero, there's a lot of superheros who don't have powers.

• He's a superhero in the same vain as Iron Man.

MosesARose posted: »

No he's a vigilante. Edit: definition of superhero is someone with super human powers, someone like superman, a real damn hero.

• edited May 2016

Yes he saves people, he's a hero, but not a superhero. Definition of superhero is one with inhuman abilities.

JawaEater posted: »

He's a superhero, there's a lot of superheros who don't have powers.

• Iron man isn't a superhero either, he's a man in a suit.

Lordb posted: »

He's a superhero in the same vain as Iron Man.

• edited May 2016

His technology gives him inhuman abilities... Wikipedia lists him as one.

Yes he saves people, he's a hero, but not a superhero. Definition of superhero is one with inhuman abilities.

• edited May 2016

Stop pulling definitions out of your arse, here's the full definition to superhero

a fictional hero having extraordinary or superhuman powers; also : an exceptionally skillful or successful person

Powers not required. Just exceptional skills.

• he is the superhero we deserve but not the one we need.

• edited May 2016

Sorry but I got this definition from google once you put in the word superhero, the definition reads:a benevolent fictional character with superhuman powers, such as Superman. So how about you stop acting like an ass.

Stop pulling definitions out of your arse, here's the full definition to superhero a fictional hero having extraordinary or superhuman

• That's just one meaning, words can have more than one, in that quote it's defined as a second meaning. I have full right to act like an arse if you can't understand that.

Sorry but I got this definition from google once you put in the word superhero, the definition reads:a benevolent fictional character with superhuman powers, such as Superman. So how about you stop acting like an ass.

• edited May 2016

Yes he is a Superhero.

Copied from Wikipedia:
    A Superhero is a type of heroic character who possesses extraordinary talents, supernatural phenomena, or superhuman powers and who is dedicated to a moral goal or protecting the public.

Batman fits the "extraordinary talents" camp of cause and by that I mean yes he does not have Superpowers but he does have talents that no real human in the real world could ever have like being a master of over 100 styles of martial arts or being an expert in pretty much everything. Other heroes like Daredevil, Iron Man, Green Lantern, Green Arrow and others fit this camp too. Remember they are called SUPERheros not POWERheros.

• No he's not a superhero.

• kenjisalkkenjisalk Telltale Alumni

I agree with this particular definition. If someone is going above and beyond what normal people are capable of and performing feats of heroism, I think that makes them a superhero. : )

ERROR260392 posted: »

Yes he is a Superhero. Copied from Wikipedia: A Superhero is a type of heroic character who possesses extraordinary talents, supernatura

• Of course Batman is a Super hero, he has the power of infinite money!!

• No.

He is the vengeance

He is the night.

HE IS BATMAN

enter link description here

enter link description here

• edited May 2016

It's a bit of grey area but never the less he is a pivotal member of the Justice League. I think he has heightened abilities in that he is an exceptional human being however he has no physical super powers but mentally the guy is unmatched in his crusade to exact justice.

*The epitome of Batman and the general consensus is that he is a superhero so I'm going with yes, yes he is.

• Well that means there are a lot of superheroes in our everyday world. And heroism is so easy to define, that I hope that's not how the ttg batman writing staff defined it.

If we compare them to normal people, that's really low expectations and anyone with ambition can become a superhero. So hopefully this isn't how actual Gotham works.

kenjisalk posted: »

I agree with this particular definition. If someone is going above and beyond what normal people are capable of and performing feats of heroism, I think that makes them a superhero. : )

• You have missed the point completely.

Batman is a Superhero because he has been able to do things that NO ONE in the real world could ever do like the things I mentioned in my first comment. So no there are no Superheroes in the real world because no one can become a master of over 100 disciplines of Martial Arts or be a genius in about everything in the real world, Its just not humanly possible. So Batman is a Superhero as he is able to achieve Superhuman abilities in fighting and intellect not to mention his ability to invent Super-advanced gadgets that do not exist. Also the second thing you need to be a Superhero is have a costume/uniform and fight crime to protect the general public (although there are exceptions for the costume/uniform part for non-human looking Superheroes such as Hulk and Hellboy etc.).

ShaneGrimes posted: »

Well that means there are a lot of superheroes in our everyday world. And heroism is so easy to define, that I hope that's not how the ttg b

• Ehhhh....

He literally can't be human if he is actually able to do all those things. So alright he's a superhero for you guys. But this is what makes batman a bullshit character and boring to me. Hes supposed to be human but he's also all the way overpowered.

It's literally stupid. He barely uses more than 5 different types of martial arts at this point, and I highly doubt that he is even close to being the mastermind behind any of his gadgets. Batman isnt like ironman who made a suit and that's his power, he's not genetically mutated, he's supposed to be a human that has the brain of an alien, because if anything his mind has to be his superpower. And that's just bullshit.

But I'm getting off topic. You go ahead and give him the title of superhero.. But he's just a rich vigilante to me. A rich vigilante that has the greatest scientific and mathematical minds in the world working for him, and he's the face that takes all the heat for their vigilante agenda. That's what Batman really is. Anything else was lost in the 80-90s

Batman Isnt just a man, he's a corporation. If he's a superhero, so is Alfred

You have missed the point completely. Batman is a Superhero because he has been able to do things that NO ONE in the real world could eve

• edited May 2016

Dude Batman is a fictional character so of cause he can do things that no real human can do in the real world and he uses his talents to fight crime while wearing a costume that is what makes him a superhero. I'm not the one who named him a superhero but by definition he IS a superhero. Alfred does not do or have any of this.

"He barely uses more than 5 different types of martial arts at this point, and I highly doubt that he is even close to being the mastermind behind any of his gadgets."
    Look you can't just watch the Batman movies and think that is all Batman is, In the comics, games and other forms of media he is a master of over 100 styles of martial arts and does build his own gadgets (Also in the comics the tech that he builds is way more advanced than Tony Starks).

Again I'll explain: YOU DO NOT NEED POWERS TO BE A SUPERHERO, They are called SUPERheros not POWERheros and that is not my opinion that is the definition. The first comic book superhero ever was Mandrake the Magician and he had no "superhuman powers" but was a "supernatural phenomena". But the first fictional character to fit the superhero definition was Spring-heeled Jack who from what I know had no real superpowers.

"That's what Batman really is. Anything else was lost in the 80-90s"
    Wait so are you saying that you actually think that the Batman that is pre Neal Adams and Dennis O'Neil from the silver age who was super campy and had a pink Batman suit and went back in time to fight dinosaurs made more sense to you?

ShaneGrimes posted: »

Ehhhh.... He literally can't be human if he is actually able to do all those things. So alright he's a superhero for you guys. But this i

• edited May 2016

Most superheros are vigilantes. It doesn't matter whether or not they have powers. Most superheros dont work for any government body.

No he's a vigilante. Edit: definition of superhero is someone with super human powers, someone like superman, a real damn hero.

• Agree with everything BUT his tech being more advanced than tony stark's

Dude Batman is a fictional character so of cause he can do things that no real human can do in the real world and he uses his talents to fig

• If you are strictly talking about the movies (i.e Nolan's Dark Knight and the MCU Iron Man) than I agree. But in Comics, Video Games, TV shows and most over mediums Batman does have more advanced tech as he does often make and improves alien tech.

Agree with everything BUT his tech being more advanced than tony stark's

• Nah, I'm talking about over other mediums. From his star powered armour, to ragnarok (Thor clone)to extremist. Overall knowledge I give to Bruce obviously, but when it comes to TECH? Gotta give it to tony

If you are strictly talking about the movies (i.e Nolan's Dark Knight and the MCU Iron Man) than I agree. But in Comics, Video Games, TV shows and most over mediums Batman does have more advanced tech as he does often make and improves alien tech.

• Because Batman lives in a universe where way more powerful Superheroes and Gods exist (The DC Universe) he does have more powerful tech to make sure he can go toe-to-toe with them. He was lead engineer and designer of the JL Watchtower as well as Batman having built more powerful armour suit's that Iron Man.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/all-the-reasons-why-batman-has-worn-power-armor-1699426752

Also worth noting due to him having more powerful friends (Justice League having more powerful and advanced tech than The Avangers) than Tony he does have access to work with more advanced tech such as Martian, Thanagar, Kryptonian etc. Infact I would say that Superman has access to more advanced tech than Tony.

But I'm not trying to put Iron Man down it is just the power difference between DC characters and Marvel characters. Where DC Superheroes are more powerful Batman needs that more advanced tech to go toe-to-toe with them. In The Batman endgame story-arc Batman had a suit that made him able to defeat Wonder Woman, The Flash, Aquaman and Superman in a 4-on-1 fight.

Nah, I'm talking about over other mediums. From his star powered armour, to ragnarok (Thor clone)to extremist. Overall knowledge I give to Bruce obviously, but when it comes to TECH? Gotta give it to tony

• edited May 2016

Knowledge is power.

Inventing an antidote on the fly for a poison that will him in a few minutes, then managing to instruct and assign delivery in time to take it. Now that's heroic.

His buttler is quite amazing too although he rarely tends the field. Pun intended.

• no powers so duh he a hero hero

• Hero? Yes.

Super? Nah.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.