Does Superman Exist?

I think its exciting that Telltale gets to craft their own place in the DC multiverse with their own version of Batman; as its bound to be the most story and character driven Batman game ever made and they have a good track record of adapting comic book properties.

But this had me thinking, if this is a story about Batman then does that mean somewhere in this new continuity there is also a version of Superman out there? He probably does exist but likely won't be acknowledged within the game itself (and to be honest would probably detract focus from the main story). But if this will be set in a version of the DC universe then it does seem likely that other DC characters outside the Batman mythos are out there somewhere.

If the Batman game is a success then what are the chances that Telltale could apply their talent to the Superman mythos and for the first time in history, give the Man of Steel a good video game?

I think it could be done - Bigby from the Wolf Among Us was arguably a Superman in the context of the Fables universe and Telltale made the gameplay and story focus less on his powers and more on his character and how his actions influenced the environment.

There have been good Batman games made before (the Arkham series) but never has there been a good Superman game. Telltale obtained the license to one iconic DC property, could they eventually get to do Superman?

Comments

• Neat idea! The one problem I see with doing Superman is that he's very altruistic. It'd be hard to allow players any choice that isn't absolutely beneficent - without kind of killing who Superman is... Maybe if you did it in his younger days - a' la Smallville. That might be kind of cool!

• CathalOHaraCathalOHara Moderator

I was thinking something like this for awhile, like what Joe_w said I was imagining a Smallville like story suiting a Telltale Superman game really well!

• Yeah, playing as a younger Clark Kent struggling to come to terms with his powers and true heritage and his adopted one, making choices that define the Superman he is destined to become. Telltale could probably make a great episodic video game series on such a concept... tackling Superman into the video game genre is infamous for being.... bad.

But Telltale might be just the studio to make a good Superman game. I do wonder if Superman does exist off-screen in the upcoming Telltale Batman game.

What kind of choices would we make as Clark Kent/Superman...

• Someone mentioned something like this in another thread about Batman. It'd be hard to make real choices for an older superhero without changing the character throughout. Granted I dont know much about the character's lives in the comics because I rarely read more than a few chapters here and there but a young superhero just starting out or a superhero in a world that is completely different from the movies and comics would be better. Then again it's not like Superman or Batman has never killed/let someone die before. So a game could explore the lesser known, more brutal aspects of a character such as a Superman from that one comic where the Joker killed Lois.

joe_w posted: »

Neat idea! The one problem I see with doing Superman is that he's very altruistic. It'd be hard to allow players any choice that isn't abs

Sign in to comment in this discussion.