Who's your favorite Batman villain and why?

Mine is the Joker. Why?

The Joker is what all villains aspire to be: obscenely dangerous, wildly unpredictable, and always one step ahead of the hero. And after over 75 years, he’s still managed to never have a definitive origin, so he still has an air of mystique about him to this day. And in that vein, he’s been reinterpreted numerous times over the years, and whether he’s a theatrical criminal or an anarchist clown, he always pushes Batman to the limit.

He’s a villain who can’t be beat with punches, a psychopath who murders for laughs, and a man who fancies himself as the clown the prince of crime. He’s the Joker -- and he’s the greatest Batman villain of all time.

Anyway, who's your favorite Batman villain?

Comments

• Riddler. His intellectual level is on Batman's (or above). What I find interesting about him though, is his compulsive need for attention, he has (on his mind) to prove that he is the smartest man in the room, so, rather than using his advanced intellect to do something good or even to try and defeat Batman without giving him any chances, he does his crimes by setting up his riddles. He NEEDS to show off, he NEEDS to give Batman the chance to publically fail, it is all a chalenge. I think that what triggers him into being so intelligent (his need for attention and recognition) is also his greatest weakness, he could try and scheme something to fuck Batman over without giving him any clue, but he communicates to people through his riddles, Batman is one of the few who can solve the puzzles, so Nygma needs him. The way I see it, he is a solitary genius whose is unconsciously begging for some social contact, wich is why he does what he does, he had come to a point where he has to make the riddles so people can truly understand him.

• Superman.

• Catman. Because he is better tracker than batman and doesn't have any of his high tech gear yet still batman's equal.

enter image description here

• Joel Schumacher.

• It's hard to pick considering how many are simply great. For the sake of doing one not mentioned I will say Mr Freeze. He has a genius level intellect and he is an expert in cryogenics. Wielding a freeze gun and wearing an exo suit that keeps his body at sub zero temperatures (while enhancing his strength) makes him a worthy opponent.

His story arc is brilliant as seen in Batman TAS and Arkham City. In particular it was just amazing where they took it in Batman Beyond and the Arkham Knight DLC.

There is sort of a revelation that happens in Batman Beyond, Mr. Freeze dies on his own accord while Batman (Terry) tries saving him. Bruce later admits that Terry was right - that Mr Freeze was a good man after all.

There needs to be another live action appearance to counter that shitty portrayal from Arnold Schwarzenegger.

R.I.P Michael Ansara, he will always be the definitive Mr. Freeze to me.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.